PDA

View Full Version : Eating while sick

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 05:58 AM
well right now I'm sick. its sort of a stomach thing i guess. No vomiting and not really any diarreah(sp?). just sort of a bit of a oss of appitite, and maybe a few stomach craps.

Last night, before i went to bed (i was feeling a lot worse then then i do now) i ate some chicken and some green beans. becuase i was basically starving for somthing, and i dont realy want to lose weight becuase of being sick, so i want to try to keep eating at least a little bit if i can.

Even though i do have a bit of a loss of appitite, should i still try to eat at least a bit? i mean, there is now way in hell i plan on eating my usual amount, but should i at least try to eat somthing?

Also, what are some things you guys think i should try to eat? I mean should i worry a lot about the quality of the food, especially since ill be in caloric deficite(sp?) i dont mean go and have McDonalds or anything, but somthing like crackers, or soup?

What are some of the things you guys do when your sick and bulking??? lol

bradley
05-01-2003, 06:06 AM
I usually just eat what I can hold down, and concentrate more on getting my calories and protein in. No point in eating something that is going to make you feel worse IMO.

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 06:13 AM
what should i concentrait on eating? like try to keep my protein high if i can?

Ironman8
05-01-2003, 07:06 AM
Ya, it would be good to get more protein and calories in. You don't want to be in a deep calorie deficit.

bradley
05-01-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
what should i concentrait on eating? like try to keep my protein high if i can?

Yeah keep your protein intake up if possible and try to get some of the other macros in as well. Like I said earlier if you don't think it will sit well in your stomach then I say avoid it. Soup and other liquid type meals seem to be the best thing when sick. Here is an old thread that has some good ideas. Hope you get to feeling better. :)

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27111&highlight=sick

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 09:19 AM
thanks for the suggestions guys. ill see what happens :)

gopher
05-01-2003, 10:18 AM
Protein powders and MRPs do not bother my stomach at all so when I am sick and don't feel like eating anything I will at least have a couple of shakes. It is important to keep your calories up while you are sick but it doesn't make much sence to eat something that you are just going to throw back up.
Hope you feel better soon.

nejar462
05-01-2003, 01:29 PM
It really depends on the illness, i go by feel, with my worst stomach pains I had gatorade a whole lot, then when I could eat food again, plenty of rice, soup, and tea. If you stomach pains are bad cut the meat the fudge out, high protein foods imho are harder to digest.

Ironman8
05-01-2003, 05:46 PM
Hopefully, you're sickness wouldn't let you throw up your food Smurf :D

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 06:35 PM
lol then i guess i'd grab a spoon, hold my nose, and shovel it back in :D nah j/k actually im feeling a TON better. and i was able to eat quite a bit today w/ no problems. so all-in-all it wasnt too too bad. i figure since i wasnt as active anyway i didnt have to eat my usual amount either.

Ironman8
05-01-2003, 07:21 PM
Glad to hear that :)

steveo
05-03-2003, 12:29 AM
I try to eat the same amount when I'm sick. It's ten times harder to force myself to eat and it takes longer to get it all down. I hardly get sick unless I'm up all night studying. When I feel a cold coming I double my Vita. C, Multi-Vita and water. I haven't benn sick in a long as time, but i do get stomach problem. So eat as much as I could but I seem to go to the bathroom a lot more.