PDA

View Full Version : can u cook chicken in the microwave

bigedge
05-01-2003, 08:28 AM
can you cook a fresh chicken breast in the microwave? i want to eat chicken for lunch but where i work there is only a microwave and no oven

bradley
05-01-2003, 08:47 AM
This site has a recommendation on microwaving. Just scroll through until you find it. Also lots of other chicken info.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/chicken.htm

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 09:21 AM
also, if your afraid of cooking raw chicken in the microwave, you could always prepare the chicken @ your home, and then store it in the fridge until the day you need to work. then when you get to work, just pop it in the microwave to warm it up.

bigedge
05-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
also, if your afraid of cooking raw chicken in the microwave, you could always prepare the chicken @ your home, and then store it in the fridge until the day you need to work. then when you get to work, just pop it in the microwave to warm it up.

i dont know why i didnt think of that before :confused:

DavidI
05-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by bradley
This site has a recommendation on microwaving. Just scroll through until you find it. Also lots of other chicken info.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/chicken.htm

WOW! It says not to cook chicken from the frozen state in the microwave....I've only been doing that every day for the last several months! Guess I have to find some new cooking habits!

bradley
05-06-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by DavidI

WOW! It says not to cook chicken from the frozen state in the microwave....I've only been doing that every day for the last several months! Guess I have to find some new cooking habits!

Well most microwaves have different power settings or a defrost setting so you could just defrost it completely and then cook as recommended on the web site.

Tankette
05-06-2003, 10:56 AM
If you are just going for cooked meat, then it doesn't matter how you do it as long as the chicken's cooked all the way through. I don't care what the U.S.D.A says. If that weren't true, David would be one sick pup. However, if you are tired of eating rubber, don't cook chicken in the microwave from raw. Grill it or cook it in a pan w/ nonstick cooking spray then microwave it later like ghettosmurf suggested, or just eat it cold. Grilled chicken really isn't bad straight out of the refrigerator. Especially if you eat it with your hands!;)

DavidI
05-06-2003, 11:57 AM
yea, I prefer to grill it or cook it but it takes longer than tossing it in the microwave. How long would cooked chicken last in the fridge?

Tankette
05-06-2003, 02:47 PM
I usually grill about 26 oz on Sunday or Monday and it lasts me until Friday or Saturday, so I'd say 5 or 6 days. I wouldn't eat it after a week though.

steveo
05-06-2003, 04:56 PM
I do the same I grill and freeze it. Then I put in the microwave. I freeze eveything even brown rice in small containers so I just grab my lunch from the freezer and heat it up saves me lots of time keeps on track. This way I can't make excuses that I had no time to prepare a meal.

Ironman8
05-06-2003, 05:29 PM
Get a George Foreman grill. Saves me a crap load of time.

bradley
05-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Get a George Foreman grill. Saves me a crap load of time.

I would recommend spending a few dollars more and getting one that has the removable grilling surfaces which makes for much easier cleanup. Those Foreman grills can be a pain to clean IMO.

Although I find broiling in the oven to be a fast and easy way of cooking.

Ironman8
05-06-2003, 08:23 PM
You're right, cleaning it is a pain. I'll have to look for the removable grilling surface. Thanks for the suggestion Bradley.