PDA

View Full Version : EFA's, how much?



Y2A
05-01-2003, 11:33 AM
How many servings of flax oil would you recommend for someone weighing 165lbs? Is one tablespoon sufficient? Thanks.

JohnnyAutoParts
05-01-2003, 01:00 PM
That's exactly how much I weigh....I usually took 1 tablespoon in the morning and 1 at night...I've been cheap lately, and I opted for $3 fish oils instead of putting down an extra 5 for flax.

Scythian_Blade
05-01-2003, 01:30 PM
I don't think 1T is enough to do much. The conversion rate from ALA->EPA/DHA in the body is not very efficient. 2-4T would be better but still a lot of kcals for what you are getting out of it imo.

I like to aim for about 5-10 grams EPA/DHA everyday (more occasionally) regardless of my goals (health, cutting, bulking whatever). It would be impractical to try to use flax to get 10 grams EPA/DHA.

A good fish oil supplement is probably a better bet imo. 1T of mine provides me with 135 kcals and 4.5 grams EPA/DHA. Not bad if you ask me.

bradley
05-01-2003, 02:23 PM
I agree, here is a good thread about the topic.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10669&highlight=fish+oil

restless
05-04-2003, 03:20 AM
A good quality cod liver oil is a much better choice than flax. there have been a ton of threads on this so look around.

Y2A
05-05-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys :)

Y2A
05-06-2003, 09:11 AM
Oh MAN, those fish pills are fine going down, but when they digest and that taste comes back up... gross. Has that happened to anyone?

bradley
05-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Y2A
Oh MAN, those fish pills are fine going down, but when they digest and that taste comes back up... gross. Has that happened to anyone?

Yeah I had that happen when I first started using them. It doesn't bother me anymore, but you might try spreading them out throughout your diet and it should get better.

Y2A
05-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by bradley


Yeah I had that happen when I first started using them. It doesn't bother me anymore, but you might try spreading them out throughout your diet and it should get better.

Perhaps my body just needs to adjust. Well I found a little trick today, take the pills as the first part of your meal. That way, when you pile the rest of the food on, the taste that comes back up is dulled by the other food. :)

Y2A
07-02-2003, 08:11 AM
Wanted to bump this up and see if what I am taking is enough, since it changed:

10g of fish oil caps, which comes out to 1404mg EPA and 936mg DHA (according to the bottle) and 4 whole eggs per day. Those are my main sources of fats, is that sufficient? Thanks!

bradley
07-02-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Y2A
Wanted to bump this up and see if what I am taking is enough, since it changed:

10g of fish oil caps, which comes out to 1404mg EPA and 936mg DHA (according to the bottle) and 4 whole eggs per day. Those are my main sources of fats, is that sufficient? Thanks!

That is ~30g of fat per day, which doesn't sound like very much. How many cals are you taking in per day and what is the total amount of fat you are taking in?

Y2A
07-02-2003, 08:37 AM
Cals are about 2850 with 64g fat, or about 20%. Other fat comes from cheese (w/my eggs), chicken, rice, and beans. I ddint mention them because they do not contain EFA's (that I know of). I am 164lb.

raniali
07-02-2003, 11:02 AM
i eat less cals than you - and my total fat intake is around 85g for the day. i don't see anything wrong with adding more good fats (ie, olive oil, pb, nuts). if that is too many cals, then adjust some of your carbs (or protein) down a bit.

ElPietro
07-02-2003, 11:04 AM
I go anywhere between 20-40% of total calories from fat. Generally, the added fat will be at the expense of less carbohydrates.