PDA

View Full Version : CKD questions...for the experts.

golfbobbyhill
05-01-2003, 11:51 AM
All -

I've been doing the low-carb, moderate-fat thing for a while and have seen some good results. In the past few weeks, I've hit a brick wall in terms of fat loss and stregnth gain. That being the case, I think I'm going to try CKD.

I currently hit weights 3 times a week: Sun, Tues, and Thurs OR Mon, Tues, Thurs.

I'm 5'11, 205lbs but still pretty "soft" in the middle.

Several questions for the experts:
- When should I do my carb load? After Thursday's workout and sustain it for 36 hours? Or should I start after lunch on Friday and sustain for 36 hours?
- how many grams of carbs should I shoot for in that 36 hours?
- how should I space it out during that time?
- how many calories a day should I consider during loading and during Keto? Fat loss is my primary goal.
- how much protein and fat should I consume during loading?

I've done some thread searches and have found the basics, but some details would be great.

Thanks -

CuttinUP
05-01-2003, 12:20 PM
BUMP..for answers...SAME EXACT SITUATION AND QUESTIONS!!!

I have hit a wall with my fat loss, i am 215lbs @ 11%bf, i was on a low cal, low fat, high protein diet for a while and came down from 16% bf. I want to bring my BF down to about 6-7% if possible. and i think the CKD is the way to go.

GettingCut

raniali
05-01-2003, 12:27 PM
there are a TON of threads on performing a CKD properly. Check out Lyle's diary: http://low-carb.org/lylemcd/

check this out:
http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petrizzi/fitness/ckdcalc.html

carb load should be between 24-48 hrs - each person responds a little bit differently and it is better to go the long end if you do not feel fully carb-loaded before returning to keto. you will usually have to experiment with this a week or two to see what is best for you. the DAY you start loading doesn't matter as long as you work on a 7-day schedule. loading should be primarily carbs, moderate protein and lower fat. calories should be at least maintenance and even a good 500 or so beyond. training should be done within the first 2 days after loading as that will be the only time you still have energy. the depletion workout is performed immediately before starting to refeed and is a full-body circuit type workout --- you will be WEAK -- and is only done to prime the body for carbs.

bradley
05-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Here is an article that should answer your questions you have about the carb load:

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/carb-up-and-ketogenic-diet.htm

golfbobbyhill
05-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Great info guys......

One crazy sounding question....how the heck do you intake 500-700 grams of carbs in one day????

bradley
05-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by golfbobbyhill
Great info guys......

One crazy sounding question....how the heck do you intake 500-700 grams of carbs in one day????

Find some high GI carbs that contain minimal fat and get to it. Smarties candy, kid cereals (for example Count Chocula), pasta, rice, etc. are popular on refeeds. The carbs add up faster than you think. Just figure out how many meals you plan on eating and then divide your carb total up. This will make the total look more reasonable.

raniali
05-01-2003, 02:46 PM
aim for about 100g carbs per meal
easy - a large baked potatoe
1/2 cup (dry) rice is 80g so add other veggies to it
most *normal* servings of pasta is about 100g or more
kids cereal plus milk is easy AND delicious

just eat

Severed Ties
05-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Great info guys......

Thats easy, 6 chocolate chip pancakes covered in maple syrup, chase that with an ice cream shake (use no fat milk and ice cream since they replace the fat with even more carbs) and your well on your way with a whole 23 hours of eating left.

ST

CuttinUP
05-01-2003, 03:28 PM
great info indeed guys, thanks.

Ironman8
05-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Severed Ties
Thats easy, 6 chocolate chip pancakes covered in maple syrup

Ya, that works well :D

Also, I heard fat intake should be moderately low on refeeds. I heard it's more capable of being delivered in the bloodstream, leading to fat gain. The informations a little shaky, so can someone confirm this?

golfbobbyhill
05-01-2003, 07:00 PM
If my last weekly workout ends around 8:30PM on Thursday, can I start refeeding Friday?

That would be perfect....as I could refeed Friday and Saturday then hop back into Keto on Sunday.

Ironman8
05-01-2003, 07:24 PM
I heard it's better to have your refeed before bed, and continue on the next day.

Severed Ties
05-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

Ya, that works well :D

Also, I heard fat intake should be moderately low on refeeds. I heard it's more capable of being delivered in the bloodstream, leading to fat gain. The informations a little shaky, so can someone confirm this?

This is correct however it's not any fun,lol.

I don't worry about fat gain during my refeed, I'm trying to gain as much fat as possible in 24 hours to prime my body for the next 6 days of fat burning.

ST

bradley
05-02-2003, 02:51 AM
If my last weekly workout ends around 8:30PM on Thursday, can I start refeeding Friday?

That would be perfect....as I could refeed Friday and Saturday then hop back into Keto on Sunday.

Here are some quotes from the article I posted earlier that should answer your question.

. The first 6 hours after training appear to be the most critical as enzyme activity and resynthesis rates are the highest, around 12 mmol/kg/hour (4).

The carb-up should begin immediately following training. A delay of even 2 hours between the end of training and the start of the carb-up causes glycogen resynthesis to be 47% slower than if carbs are consumed immediately. (10,12).

Might try pushing the workout back until Friday morning and then start the carb up after the workout.

bradley
05-02-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I heard it's better to have your refeed before bed, and continue on the next day.

Well wouldn't you have to have the refeed before bed if you were planning on continuing with the refeed the next day?

If you did not have it before bed you would just be starting the refeed the next morning:confused: