PDA

View Full Version : Meatatarian

Craig James
08-09-2001, 10:03 AM
This is a bit on the bizarre side, but I thought I would ask y'all's oppinion on this:

Ever since I was a wee lad, I have had extreme difficulty in digesting both fruit and vegetables. It pains me to eat plain fruit or even just a salad. I get an acid reflux type of feeling in my stomach that is practically unbearable. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Am I just a freak with some sort of digestive weakness?

I do suffer from lactose intolerance, but other than that and the fruits and veggies, I can eat anything. I will admit to having a major sweet tooth, and I love eating lots of protein - especially red meat.

Anyway, I just bring this up because at some point I wish to start working on a fat redux diet, and I would like to eat fruits and veggies. But for now - I am the anti-vegetarian.

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-09-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Craig James
Am I just a freak with some sort of digestive weakness?

Aye.

Tryska
08-09-2001, 10:16 AM
well you could always go for ckd and just eat meats and fats....

but what do you eat for carbs? (ie - what's the sweet tooth all about?)

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-09-2001, 10:19 AM
What's with the sudden fad with ketosis diets?

Craig James
08-09-2001, 10:22 AM
Tryska, usually I can pacify my sweet tooth with soda at some point during the day. As for carbs, potatoes, soda, and a small amount of bread in bun form that my burger comes on...

If I don't drink soda, then my carvings drive me to candy (chewy Spree, yum) or large quantities of ice cream (Breyers mint-chocolat chip), and I just deal with the lactose intolerance with the icecream. But I haven't done that in a long time - my weakness has been the soda. I am addicted to the sugar as well as the caffeine...

Craig James
08-09-2001, 10:27 AM
By the way, I have to mention this little story about a diet that Chris and I read about 10 years ago.

Chris, you will probably remember this...

One of the muscle mags ran a story about a new diet for gaining weight. It worked by manipulating insulin levels and possibly hgh.

So I thought that I would be the guinea pig, and I tried it. I stayed on it for one whole week. Now, remember, this diet was touted as a weight gainer. After the one week, I had lost like 10 or 12 pounds, and I said "enough of that!"

So how did this diet go?

Monday-Friday
Zero carbs
Eat as much protein and fat as you possibly can

Saturday and Sunday
reverse it, lower protein and fat intake, and eat lots of carbs.

Sound familiar??

I get a laugh now, as it was touted for doing the exact opposite of what it is truely good for.

Tryska
08-09-2001, 10:27 AM
it's no a fad chigs.....i was just throwing it out there since meat and fat is on his "foods to eat" list......*lol*

craig...hmm..the acid reflux is interesting..but so is the sweet tooth.....my instinct says that the acid reflux is possibly caused by giving in to the sweet tooth..but let me ask...are there any specific fruits/veggies that cause the problem? is it raw/cooked, or both?

Tryska
08-09-2001, 10:29 AM
ha craig..isn't that basically a ckd?

of course you lost weight on that.......if you were to manipulate insulin in order to gain weight, you would have to carb load, not get rid of them....

Craig James
08-09-2001, 10:33 AM
Tryska, it is pretty much all raw fruits and veggies. If I eat them on an empty stomach, I am in severe discomfort for some time. Mixed with other foods, it is not nearly as bad.

Apples, banannas, pears, plums, oranges - I really enjoy eating these fruits except for the digestive issues.

All veggies - except for maybe green beans or peas...SUCK! I have never been a fan of veggies, and the only reason that I would eat a salad was for the other goodies - chicken topping or tasty dressing...

Tryska
08-09-2001, 10:38 AM
*laughin* it's kinda funny how your favorites are mostly high GI too.....

i don't know what to tell you craig....that is quite strange.....

if I were you I would try getting rid of the starches and sugars for awhile and work cooked veggies in, until they were well tolerated, and then try some of the lower GI fruits (berries, in particular) and then work your way back up to trying raw fruits and veggies again. but that's just me....

Craig James
08-09-2001, 10:41 AM
Uhh - what is this GI that you are referring to? How does higher or lower values relate to one's diet?

Tryska
08-09-2001, 10:49 AM
GI - Glycemic Index

the amount of sugar, essentially (glucose) in the foods....it's primarily used by those who want/need to manage insulin (diabetics, hypoglycemics, bodybuilders, etc. etc)

basically foods that are high in starches and or plain old sugar convert to glucose during digestion....glucose then get's released into your blood system, in the form of "blood sugar". The body doesn't like too much sugar in it's blood, so it tells the pancreas to release insulin to get the glucose out of the blood and into cells (liver and muscle glycogen first, then fat). But if your diet is high in these sugars, then you run the risk of dulling the insulin recpetors, causing the pancreas to flood the body with more and more insulin to resolve the problem...this is when bad things happen. plus...glucose actually sets off opiate like hormones in your brain (serotonin, i think? don't quote me on that)....so you can essentially get addicted and feel the highs and lows and cravings of a sugar addiction......there's lots of other stuff that goes on with prolonged high consumption of these types of sugars...including digestive distrubances, such as acid reflux.....going on to even more destructive autoimmune disorder stuff....but that's a whole other story that i'd rather not get into.....

here's a little link for ya.....Glycemix Index (http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm)

Craig James
08-09-2001, 10:52 AM
Thanks, Tryska - it sounds like stuff that I have been battling... Now I have a reason to curb the intake of some of these foods.

Tryska
08-09-2001, 10:58 AM
hey.....here's a book you might be interested in picking up in that case Craig.....and don't let the title fool ya - it sounds kinda schticky, but it has loads of usefull information, especially for this game: More Info (http://www.twbookmark.com/books/57/0446678678/)