PDA

View Full Version : Which diet?

KoSh
05-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Well, I won't bore you with a lot of little bull**** info, so here goes:

I'm 5'10"
185 lbs.
I'd say I'm around 18%BF (Well aware that's a bit high, but when you look at me the only place you really see the fat is small love handles)

Well, I'm trying to decide how many calories I should be taking...

I don't want to go too low, because I don't want to lose too much weight and hurt my lifting gains...

But I don't want to be too high and gain more fat weight...

I'm thinking a 2000 cal diet... Any suggestions as to which Caloric Intake I should go with?

Relentless
05-02-2003, 03:34 PM
overall do you want to gain muscle or lose fat as your primary goal?

Ironman8
05-02-2003, 03:41 PM
2000 calories is way too low for your weight.

KoSh
05-02-2003, 03:42 PM
A little of both, Callahan. But If I had to choose one it would definately be to gain muscle.

I just used a body mass calculator, and it says that I'm at 14.5%.

I'd say that 16-18% would be an accurate guess.

bradley
05-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by KoSh
A little of both, Callahan. But If I had to choose one it would definately be to gain muscle.

I just used a body mass calculator, and it says that I'm at 14.5%.

I'd say that 16-18% would be an accurate guess.

Well I would say that you need to concentrate on one or the other. Since you said your primary goal is to gain muscle then I would recommend eating slightly above your maintenance calorie level. Try to gain at a very slow rate which should help minimize fat gain but you have to expect to gain some fat when trying to add muscle. The slower you gain the less chance of the gains coming in the form of fat.

What is your current calorie intake? Are you gaining/losing/maintaining at your current calorie intake? I would slowly increase cals in small increments each week until you are gaining approximately .5 pounds per week. Increments being about 200-300 cals per week. You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track your cals.

bradley
05-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
2000 calories is way too low for your weight.

I agree, 2000 cals sounds too low, especially if you are trying to add muscle.