PDA

View Full Version : so sick of being small!!

diego
05-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Iíve decided to put up my journal in the hope that it will encourage me to work harder and stay committed to getting bigger.

I wasnít going to put it up for a while due to me lifting such light weights at the mo compared to you guys but what the heck (your insults should motivate me further).

CURRENTLY
Height: 6í1.5Ē
Weight 166 lbs

In college studying IT, off for 5 months (meant to be doing work experience, but I canít find any) so am at home and workout there with a friend of mine in the evenings, heís lifting about the same as myself.

ROUTINE
Iím doing the WBB1 routine with a few amendments, training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and abs on Tuesday and Thursday.

diego
05-03-2003, 08:23 AM
WEIGHTS
Hereís what last week shaped up like:

Day1: Chest & Back
(wasnít in good form for this one cosí went clubbing in london on Friday and that involved over 20 hours travel by rail, about 3 hours sleep, and 8 hours clubbing (my cardio))

Bench Press
119x4, 115x4,109x6

Incline Bench Press(changed this from incline dumbbell press cosí couldnít kick up the weight properly)
86x4, 81x7

Weighted Dips
+5.5x8, +5.5x7

Assisted Chin Ups (absolutely suck at these, lucky if I can do 2 unassisted)
x8, x8

Deadlifts
139x9, 139x8

Bent Over Rows (still trying to perfect form on these, very hard to get it that extra bit up to my upper waist)
97x5, 92x6

Shrugs (lack a bit of strength in keeping my fingers holding the bar)
139x11

Day 3: Legs

Hack Squat (probably will lower the weight on these next week cosí the bar was gliding along my legs the whole way up)
127x8, 127x8

Leg Extension (in place of squat cosí donít have a rack and the weight was getting to dangerous to lift alone)
80.5x9, 80.5x11

Leg Curls
60.5x9, 60.5x6

Straight Legged DeadLift (I like these now)
127x8, 127x8

Day 4: Abs

Decline Crunches (first time I tried these and abs were really pumped afterwards, cool!)
x10, x10, x10, +5x10

Day 5: Shoulders, Triceps & Biceps (favourite day)

Military Press
81x5, 77x6

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
31x8, 36x3, 34x4

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
10x10, 10x10

Close Grip Bench Press
97x5, 92x7

French Press
55x6, 53x7

Barbell Curl
61x8, 61x5

Hammer Curl
31x10.5

diego
05-03-2003, 08:24 AM
DIET
Heres an example daily diet

Meal 1:
Ĺ cup wheatgerm
500ml milk
banana

Meal 2:
150g Ham, Turkey & Cheese in a sandwich

Meal 3:
Normal Dinner (fish/chicken/beef, potatoes, vegetable)

Meal 4:
On training days: 1 scoop whey protein isolate with 500ml water before and after workout
Non training days: 2 scoops whey protein isolate with 500ml milk

Meal 5:
140g tuna and 200g baked beans

Meal 6: (if I have the time)
Half cup cottage cheese (still havenít figured the nicest way of eating this)

Am I getting enough protein, carbs, calories, (I think protein around 160)?

diego
05-03-2003, 08:29 AM
the max i can put on the barbell at the mo' is 139lbs, need to get 2x50lbs plates but i've been quoted cheapest price at 100 euro ($110), which i think is robbery!
also need to get a spinlock barbell, think they're about 35 euro($40) do they sound good prices?

GhettoSmurf
05-03-2003, 07:50 PM
diet-wise it sounds like you are on the right track. you might want to get your hands on some dextrose and/or maltodextrine for your post-workout shake on training days in place of just water. and maybe have some eggs for breakfast :)

as for ways to eat the cottage cheese, try taking a look in the recipes section. there is a really long thread in there with a lot of co-cheese ideas

good luck with the journal bro!

Ironman8
05-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Good luck Diego!!

aka23
05-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by diego
Meal 4:
On training days: 1 scoop whey protein isolate with 500ml water before and after workout
Non training days: 2 scoops whey protein isolate with 500ml milk

Your body burns a good amount of glycogen while working out. It is important to include carbs in your postworkout meal to replenish the glycogen reserves, facilitating repair and recovery. Many experts recommend a 3/1 carb/protein ratio in your postworkout meal. For similar reasons it can be beneficial to include carbs in your preworkout meal as well.

diego
05-04-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by aka23

Your body burns a good amount of glycogen while working out. It is important to include carbs in your postworkout meal to replenish the glycogen reserves, facilitating repair and recovery. Many experts recommend a 3/1 carb/protein ratio in your postworkout meal. For similar reasons it can be beneficial to include carbs in your preworkout meal as well.

in what food do i get glycogen?

diego
05-04-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
diet-wise it sounds like you are on the right track. you might want to get your hands on some dextrose and/or maltodextrine for your post-workout shake on training days in place of just water. and maybe have some eggs for breakfast :)

as for ways to eat the cottage cheese, try taking a look in the recipes section. there is a really long thread in there with a lot of co-cheese ideas

good luck with the journal bro!

thanx, where can i get dextrose?

will try and get consuming those eggs in the morning, just don't like the effort.

GhettoSmurf
05-04-2003, 07:05 AM
you can get dextrose from a lot of online supplement stores. also, if there is a brewing company nearby, you could probably get some from them very cheap.

as for the eggs, there isnt much effort required. then again, it all depends onhow u like them cooked. but what i do is just boil some the night before and stick them in the fridge, then in the morning, all i do is take them out, peel off the shell, and eat :)

aka23
05-04-2003, 08:04 AM
in what food do i get glycogen?

Glycogen is primarily composed of glucose molecules. Your body stores glycogen in the liver, skeletal muscle, andmyocardium. This glycogen is a critical source of fuel in workouts with bursts of high intensity activity, like weightlifting.

Your body can create muscle glycogen from almost any carbohydrate with glucose or starch (grains, table sugar, dextrose, ..). It cannot use fructose. Your body can create liver glycogen from nearly any carbohydrate. Fructose is more effective at refilling liver glycogen reserves than glucose.

It is often recommended to consume high GI carbs after a workout. The high GI carbs will start refueling quickly and may promote an anabolic response. Lyle Mcdonald gives some good recommendations for pre and postworkout nutrition in the interview on this site at http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=93&pageid=4

MrWebb78
05-04-2003, 11:52 AM
diego, lemme try and simplify some of this...

postworkout, add protein to something like gatorade, or powerade, or a sports drink. or if you do get some dextrose, mix that in with your protein. the more you read on this site the more you will learnabout how the body works, and its need for this important postworkout drink. but keep it simple....dextrose or gatorade, and protein....@165 lbs, you should try for about 30 grams protein, and 70 grams carbs postworkout

as for the rest of your diet, the amount of protein looks good, but remember that protein alone is not going to do it, dont be afraid of fat, especially healthy fats from fish and nuts and such. if you are trying to gain weight then fat is your friend, lots of calories. make breakfast your biggest meal of the day, your body is just waking up after not eating for a long time, so pack in the nutrients. i would suggest a couple whole eggs, some egg whites, oatmeal, even a spoonful of natural peanut butter, and keep the milk in it.

at any rate, nobody will make fun of you here, its a pretty helpful site. best of luck with gettin some size, alot of people will help "coach" you along in your journal.

diego
05-05-2003, 11:38 AM

Glycogen is primarily composed of glucose molecules. Your body stores glycogen in the liver, skeletal muscle, andmyocardium. This glycogen is a critical source of fuel in workouts with bursts of high intensity activity, like weightlifting.

Your body can create muscle glycogen from almost any carbohydrate with glucose or starch (grains, table sugar, dextrose, ..). It cannot use fructose. Your body can create liver glycogen from nearly any carbohydrate. Fructose is more effective at refilling liver glycogen reserves than glucose.

It is often recommended to consume high GI carbs after a workout. The high GI carbs will start refueling quickly and may promote an anabolic response. Lyle Mcdonald gives some good recommendations for pre and postworkout nutrition in the interview on this site at http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=93&pageid=4

i've looked at that article but have a few questions, i don't really know that much about where i get the nutrients from each food:

Pre-workout: 20-30 grams glucose/12-15 grams whey protein

Post-workout: 45-80 grams carbs from glucose/maltodextrin and some fructose (10-20 grams) with 20-30 grams of protein

what are good sources for each of the respective
glucose,
fructose,

and how does one make a post workout shake containing protein without using whey?

thanx

MrWebb78
05-05-2003, 12:03 PM
you want to use whey postworkout, it is the most readily abosrbed protein.

and may i suggest gatorade for the carbs, or you can track down the dextrose supplement online or in the store.

diego
05-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Not a good weekends eating very infrequent but right now Iím going to redo my whole diet and have a definite one to stick to, thanks for those articles aka, helped me a lot.

WEIGHTS
felt ok for these, could have done with more energy though

Bench Press(not happy with this one, didnít improve and Iíd say it was due to bad eating and lack of mental determination)
113x6, 109x4

Incline Bench Press
85x8, 90x6

Weighted Dips(used a backpack with plates in it, worked well)
+20x9, +20x10

Assisted Chin Ups (I still suck at these, someone please tell me why Iím so bad at this exercise particularly?)
x7, x7

Deadlifts
139x12, 139x9

Bent Over Rows (I had to drop the weight a lot and still couldnít get it to tip my upper waist, is there any alternatives to this, or does one have to raise it that high?)
75x7, 75x5

Shrugs
139x15

diego
05-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by MrWebb78
you want to use whey postworkout, it is the most readily abosrbed protein.

and may i suggest gatorade for the carbs, or you can track down the dextrose supplement online or in the store.

i'll get some gatorade tomorrow

aka23
05-05-2003, 05:33 PM
i've looked at that article but have a few questions, i don't really know that much about where i get the nutrients from each food:

Pre-workout: 20-30 grams glucose/12-15 grams whey protein

Post-workout: 45-80 grams carbs from glucose/maltodextrin and some fructose (10-20 grams) with 20-30 grams of protein

what are good sources for each of the respective
glucose,
fructose,

and how does one make a post workout shake containing protein without using whey?

thanx

Glucose and fructose are simple sugars. Most foods that are high in carbohydrates are also good sources of glucose. After a workout you would ideally want higher GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates. This means that the carbohydrates will raise your blood sugar qucikly, and usually will help get nutrients to your body quickly. At other times, it is usually desireable to have lower GI carbohydrates. The table at http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.php lists the glycemic index of various foods.

Fructose is found naturally in fruits and to a lesser extent in vegetables, along with glucose and other types of sugar. It is present in more concentrated forms in fruit juices and some types of sugar. Table sugar (sucrose) is glucose and fructose combined into one unit.

After a workout, a lot of bodybuilders get their glucose, fructose, and protein from postworkout drinks. This protein is often whey because of its rapid absorbition rate. For similar reasons, malodextrin is a popular postworkout carb source. However, other types of proteins and carbs also get the job done. You could either have this type of drink or you could aim for eating foods with high GI carbs and some easily digestable protein. On most days, I have an unusual postworkout meal of cereal+fruit and fish.

diego
05-05-2003, 06:15 PM

Glucose and fructose are simple sugars. Most foods that are high in carbohydrates are also good sources of glucose. After a workout you would ideally want higher GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates. This means that the carbohydrates will raise your blood sugar qucikly, and usually will help get nutrients to your body quickly. At other times, it is usually desireable to have lower GI carbohydrates. The table at http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.php lists the glycemic index of various foods.

Fructose is found naturally in fruits and to a lesser extent in vegetables, along with glucose and other types of sugar. It is present in more concentrated forms in fruit juices and some types of sugar. Table sugar (sucrose) is glucose and fructose combined into one unit.

After a workout, a lot of bodybuilders get their glucose, fructose, and protein from postworkout drinks. This protein is often whey because of its rapid absorbition rate. For similar reasons, malodextrin is a popular postworkout carb source. However, other types of proteins and carbs also get the job done. You could either have this type of drink or you could aim for eating foods with high GI carbs and some easily digestable protein. On most days, I have an unusual postworkout meal of cereal+fruit and fish.

so would this work:?

pre workout a shake with whey powder and gatorade

post workout a bowl of white rice (GI 88), chicken(is chicken an easily digestable protein?) and fruit

aka23
05-05-2003, 07:37 PM

so would this work:?

pre workout a shake with whey powder and gatorade

post workout a bowl of white rice (GI 88), chicken(is chicken an easily digestable protein?) and fruit

Drinking gatorade preworkout might not be ideal. It is only about 6% carb; so you may get waterlogged or have insufficient carbs, if you use it as a primary source of preworkout carbs. Gatorade is basically composed of water, sugar(sucrose, glucose, and fructose), and a bit of electrolytes (sodium+potassium). I think it works best as a fluid replacement drink. This might be a good think to sip on during a very long workout or perhaps after a workout is complete, but I do not think it is ideal for preworkout.

Protein powder gets into your bloodstream faster than whole food protein like chicken. If you are going to have protein powder, I think it would make more sense to have it after your workout when your body needs protein the fastest. The slower releasing protein would work better before the workout.

Note that the above changes would probably have little effect on overall muscle gains. The most important things are to have sufficient amounts of protein and carbs right after working out, as well as in your preworkout meal.

MrWebb78
05-05-2003, 07:54 PM
i had to look at the label, and gatorade is 8%, not trying to persuade your opinion aka. but wouldnt you agree that it is not a BAD thing to take postworkout?

besides, its not like the postworkout shake is going to be the determining factor of bodybuilding success, not to knock its importance, but it is an easy to find solution, fairly cheap, and tasty

GhettoSmurf
05-05-2003, 07:57 PM
why not screw the pre-workout stuff, and try to get your hands on somthing like gatorade powder and mix it with the whey.

btw MrWebb, i think they were talking about having the gatorade and whey be pre-workout.

aka23
05-05-2003, 08:01 PM
i had to look at the label, and gatorade is 8%, not trying to persuade your opinion aka. but wouldnt you agree that it is not a BAD thing to take postworkout?

besides, its not like the postworkout shake is going to be the determining factor of bodybuilding success, not to knock its importance, but it is an easy to find solution, fairly cheap, and tasty

According to the Gatorade website at http://www.gatorade.com/products_perform/thirst_quench/compare.html , "Gatorade Thirst Quencher" is 6% carbohydrate. Perhaps some flavors have a bit extra carbohydrate.

I do not think gatorade is a bad thing to take postworkout. It will quickly supply carbs to the body, more quickly than most foods. Note that Diego suggested taking Gatorade preworkout, not postworkout.

MrWebb78
05-05-2003, 08:48 PM
oh, there i go assuming again!

heres the ultimate preworkout mixes

1. 2 apples, lotsa natty PB, and whey

2. 16 oz milk, scoop of whey, and oats(all blended togeher, this is my favorite)

Alke
05-05-2003, 09:27 PM
Hey diego!

Good luck with your goals, just stay focused and you'll get there. Most people suck at chins the first time they start doing them. They are just plain HARD to do LOL, but dont give up. I could only get a few myself and it took me almost 9 months to hit 3 sets of 10.

try mixing your cottage cheese with sliced strawberries. I cant stand it any other way.....and I really think cottage cheese is right up there with tuna for protein sources. And get lots of healthy fats and carbs, you need those too :D

How long have you been lifting?

captain piddles
05-05-2003, 09:44 PM
:)
good luck
lifts dont look too bad just keep pounding away and you'll reach your goals!:thumbup:

diego
05-06-2003, 07:24 AM

2. 16 oz milk, scoop of whey, and oats(all blended togeher, this is my favorite) [/B]

i read somewhere that milk will slow the digestion of the whey?

diego
05-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Kenn
Hey diego!

How long have you been lifting?

solidly for the last 3 weeks, for about 2 years i was doing very infrequent lifting not really knowing what i was doing and was not really making any gains.

diego
05-06-2003, 09:35 AM
i did this up today, in line with what Lyle McDonald has written:

Meal1:
1 Banana
3 egg whites
Ĺ cup oats
Ĺ glass milk

Total Cal: 536,
Fat: 90 cal, Carbs: 300 cal, Protein 29 g

Meal2:
1 orange
2 Ham slices
2 turkey slices
2 cheese slices
3 slices white bread

Total Cal: 608,
Fat: 225 cal, Carbs: 210 cal, Protein 39 g

Meal 3:
3 potatoes
2 carrots
4oz beef

Total Cal: 735,
Fat: 217 cal, Carbs: 334 cal, Protein 36 g

Meal 4:
1 pear
3oz tuna
Ĺ cup baked beans

Total Cal: 460,
Fat: 127 cal, Carbs: 174 cal, Protein 33 g

Or

1 apple
1 chicken breast
Ĺ cup white rice
1 tablespoon flaxseed oil

Total Cal: 445,
Fat: 153 cal, Carbs: 175 cal, Protein 26 g

Or

a pre+post workout shake when it is figured out

Meal 5:

Ĺ cup cottage cheese
Ĺ cup oats
1 cup caranberry juice

Total Cal: 527,
Fat: 86 cal, Carbs: 312 cal, Protein 27 g

the values below are listed in order :Calories, protein g, fat cal, carb cal

1Breakfast 521 29 90 300
2Lunch 608 39 225 210
3Dinner 735 36 217 334
4Tea/Workout 460 30 127 174
5Supper 527 27 86 312

Total 2800 160 745 1300

amount of calories, protein and carbs consumed is ok (i think) but fat is 200 cals over recommended

diego
05-06-2003, 02:17 PM

According to the Gatorade website at http://www.gatorade.com/products_perform/thirst_quench/compare.html , "Gatorade Thirst Quencher" is 6% carbohydrate. Perhaps some flavors have a bit extra carbohydrate.

I do not think gatorade is a bad thing to take postworkout. It will quickly supply carbs to the body, more quickly than most foods. Note that Diego suggested taking Gatorade preworkout, not postworkout.

got a bottle of it today, it's 6g carb per 100ml so in a 500ml bottle you get 30 g carbs. This would work out for my preworkout shake anyway cos i would be taking 10g protein(from the whey) with 30 g carbs giving me the 3/1 ratio Lyle McDonald talked about.

As for post- workout i require 20g fast digesting protein with 60g carbs, whats the best one for that? milk with whey?

MrWebb78
05-06-2003, 03:52 PM
no, milk will slow the digestion, thats why i sugested it before you workout, have the whey alone with simple sugars after your workout

GhettoSmurf
05-06-2003, 04:12 PM
post-workout, try to get some simple sugars like MrWebb said.

Somthing like Dextrose and/or maltodextrin

diego
05-06-2003, 05:20 PM
post-workout, try to get some simple sugars like MrWebb said.

Somthing like Dextrose and/or maltodextrin

is there any natural food or liquid that has dextrose or maltodextrin

GhettoSmurf
05-06-2003, 05:58 PM
smarties

but seriously if there is a brewing company nearby you could probably get some dextrose from them real cheap.

or checkout some online sites. i get my dextrose @ www.1fast400.com

also, things like NLarge and other weight gainers most likely have maltodextrin in it.

diego
05-06-2003, 06:07 PM
smarties

but seriously if there is a brewing company nearby you could probably get some dextrose from them real cheap.

or checkout some online sites. i get my dextrose @ www.1fast400.com

also, things like NLarge and other weight gainers most likely have maltodextrin in it.

smarties eh?

midee1
05-06-2003, 06:11 PM
Yep Diego I've read that alot on these boards.

welcome to the boards.

:spam:

aka23
05-06-2003, 07:25 PM
is there any natural food or liquid that has dextrose or maltodextrin

Dextrose is the dextrorotary form of glucose. Maltodextrin is a chain of dextrose molecules. They are usually derived from corn starch and found naturaly in honey and sweet fruits, among other things.

You can think of dextrose/maltodextrin as a form of glucose that is easy to absorb. Most foods that ar high in carbohydrates will provide the same glucose as dextrose/maltodextrin. But most will not be absorbed as quickly as dextrose/maltodextrin. This is evident in their glycemic index (the speed at which they raise blood sugar). The GI of glucose/dextrose/maltodextrin is ~100 on a glucose=100 scale (maltodextrin may a bit over 100). In an earlier post you contemplated having white rice postworkout, which has a GI of 88. The dextrose/maltodextrin has a slightly higher GI and would usually raise blood glucose levels at a slightly faster rate.

diego
05-07-2003, 05:58 AM
why do you use a post workout meal of milk (34) , shredded wheat (69) and fish

aka23
05-07-2003, 04:50 PM
why do you use a post workout meal of milk (34) , shredded wheat (69) and fish

My usual postworkout meal is Shredded Wheat with skim milk and a cut up banana + fish. The main reasons I chose this combination are:

1. It supplies the necessary postworkout nutrients (adequate carbs + protein).
2. It is reasonably anabolic.
3. It is nutritious and clean.
4. I like how it tastes and enjoy eating this meal.

Eating higher GI foods would probably offer a small benefit, but I believe this benefit may be insiginificant in terms of muscle gains. In my opinion what is most important is that the meal is eaten as soon as possible after the workout, and the meal contains adaquate carbs + protein. Most forms of carbs replenish glycogen at the same rate. With higher GI, you are just starting sooner, so you take a slightly greater advantage of the postworkout window; and the higher GI promotes absorbtion and may promote a more anabolic response. This higher GI does come at a cost. Some people have negative health consequenses when they have a sharp insulin spike. Eating sugary high GI foods sometimes gives me headaches and makes me feel bad or sluggish later that day. I do eat cereal with added sugar after long, intense cardio because I desire sugar after such a workout, and because this type of cardio depletes my glycogen reserves to a much greater degree than weightlifting. My cardio training and diet have increased my glycogen reserves quite a bit, so my glycogen reserves do not get as low after weightlifting as do for most persons. In addition maltodextrin type supplements can be expensive and are often empty calories.

The meal that I do eat is more anabolic than it may appear. Most foods' insulin response corresponds to their glycemic index. Certain dairy products, like skim milk, are an exception. They are low GI, yet they cause insulin responses that are greater than all but the highest GI foods (baked potatoes, maltodextrin, etc). In addition skim milk contains fast absorbing whey protein (as well as slower casien). My postworkout meal supplies some glucose, some fructose, some starch, some fast digesting/absorbing protein, and some slow digesting/absorbing protein. It quickly supplies nutrients, yet continues to supply nutrients a couple hours later. This becomes important since I do not eat a meal 2 hours after my post workout meal, as is often recommended when consuming whey/maltodextrin type supplements.

diego
05-07-2003, 05:46 PM
WEIGHTS
felt good
Day 3: Legs

Hack Squat (better form this week)
127x8, 127x9

Leg Extension
87x9, 92x10

Leg Curls
65x7, 65x6

Straight Legged DeadLift (I like these now)
136x10, 136x7

Abs:

Crunches
+5x10, +10x12

Decline Crunches
x12

DIET
todays eating (bit off, but got all ingredients for my planned diet above today so should be on track tomorrow)

Meal 1:
2 weetabix
Bowl cornflakes
2 glasses milk

Meal 2:
2 cod fillets
Basket chips
1 potato
baked beans

Meal 3:
1 can tuna
1 apple

Meal 4:
Preworkout-
10g whey protein isolate
Bottle Gatorade

PostWorkout-
20g whey protein isolate
60g smarties

Meal 5:
(this was absolutely horrible, way tooo bitter, i think i need fresh strawberrys)
Ĺ cup cottage cheese
Ĺ cup oats
Ĺ cup tinned strawberries

diego
05-07-2003, 05:56 PM

My usual postworkout meal is Shredded Wheat with skim milk and a cut up banana + fish. The main reasons I chose this combination are:

1. It supplies the necessary postworkout nutrients (adequate carbs + protein).
2. It is reasonably anabolic.
3. It is nutritious and clean.
4. I like how it tastes and enjoy eating this meal.

Eating higher GI foods would probably offer a small benefit, but I believe this benefit may be insiginificant in terms of muscle gains. In my opinion what is most important is that the meal is eaten as soon as possible after the workout, and the meal contains adaquate carbs + protein. Most forms of carbs replenish glycogen at the same rate. With higher GI, you are just starting sooner, so you take a slightly greater advantage of the postworkout window; and the higher GI promotes absorbtion and may promote a more anabolic response. This higher GI does come at a cost. Some people have negative health consequenses when they have a sharp insulin spike. Eating sugary high GI foods sometimes gives me headaches and makes me feel bad or sluggish later that day. I do eat cereal with added sugar after long, intense cardio because I desire sugar after such a workout, and because this type of cardio depletes my glycogen reserves to a much greater degree than weightlifting. My cardio training and diet have increased my glycogen reserves quite a bit, so my glycogen reserves do not get as low after weightlifting as do for most persons. In addition maltodextrin type supplements can be expensive and are often empty calories.

The meal that I do eat is more anabolic than it may appear. Most foods' insulin response corresponds to their glycemic index. Certain dairy products, like skim milk, are an exception. They are low GI, yet they cause insulin responses that are greater than all but the highest GI foods (baked potatoes, maltodextrin, etc). In addition skim milk contains fast absorbing whey protein (as well as slower casien). My postworkout meal supplies some glucose, some fructose, some starch, some fast digesting/absorbing protein, and some slow digesting/absorbing protein. It quickly supplies nutrients, yet continues to supply nutrients a couple hours later. This becomes important since I do not eat a meal 2 hours after my post workout meal, as is often recommended when consuming whey/maltodextrin type supplements.

i get ya, i'm gonna try this whey/gatorade/smarties combo for a while, but might try out your recipe after.

Thanks for all the info you've posted, you've been extremely helpful.

Alke
05-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Hey diego, lotta good stuff in here on pre/post workout

For myself I always grab a bagel, protein bar, and apple juice post workout. Been doing that after every workout since bulking (12 weeks) and doing awright by it. Since I workout around 7:00 at night I really dont worry about pre-workout since I been eating all day long anyways and have plenty of energy stored up by 7:00pm.

diego
05-09-2003, 06:46 PM
DIET

Meal 1:
1 Banana
1 egg
2 egg whites
Ĺ cup oats
Ĺ glass milk

Meal 2:
2 Ham slices
2 turkey slices
2 cheese slices
3 slices white bread
Glass raspberry and cranberry

Meal 3:
Chicken fillet burger
Chips
2 beers

Meal 4:
Steak sandwhich:
Rib eye steak
Tomato
Onion(i hate)
peppers
Chips
2 beers

Meal 5:
2 beers

COMMENTS

Today was a bit too hectic ended up just walking out of the house at 1pm going to town and went on one my mates mid exam sessions. Tried to keep eating constantly throughout and it helped that we went to TGI Fridays so I got a second dinner there while they were all drinking. Went to another bar after that, back to mates gaff at 3am, so sleep was a bit off from usual. Nite was fun though.

diego
05-09-2003, 06:49 PM
WEIGHTS

Day 5: Shoulders, Triceps & Biceps

Military Press (bit disappointed with this, my first work set of every training day seems to suck, why is this?)
81x6, 80x5

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
37x5, 37x4

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
15x10, 15x10

Close Grip Bench Press
103x5, 103x4

French Press
61x6, 61x4, 61x6

Barbell Curl
66x7, 66x3

Hammer Curl (think I was jerking this too much)
39x6

DIET
todays eating (bit off, again think I got enough food (barely))

Meal 1:
club sandwhich:
Chicken
Bacon
Lettuce
Tomato
Potato wedges

Meal 2:
large chicken breast
Carrots
Peas
Apple

Meal 4:
Preworkout-
10g whey protein isolate
Bottle Gatorade

PostWorkout-
20g whey protein isolate
60g smarties

Meal 5:
2 Ham slices
2 turkey slices
2 cheese slices
3 slices white bread
Glass raspberry and cranberry

COMMENTS

Went to check out a gym my friendís going to join, best gym Iíve ever seen. The weights room is about the size of an Olympic swimming pool!, gonna have to pay that a few visits in the near future. Training tonight was good except that I was trying to jump it up a bit too much from last week and wasnít getting enough reps. I also have this thing where the first working set of each training day I suck at, why is this?

Q? Training today took about 2 hours (bit too long i think), does one need to warmup on every exercise, or can one just do say: 1 set warmup, light weight x 15 reps, on military press then the 2 work sets, then the 2 works sets on dumbBell shoulder press, or does one gradually have to build up on every exercise?

Alke
05-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Hey diego, workout looks fine! I always spend the hour or two before hitting the gym psyching myself up (imagining everything I am going to do in the gym), so that when I get in there, the first exercise is right on target! It takes a bit of practice to get the mental mindet going, and the sooner you train your mind, the faster your progress will be.

for my .02 on your question 2 hours IS a bit long for what your doing at the moment. You should be able to get in and out in under an hour right now. How long are your breaks between each set? how long do you spend warming up for each set?

for warmups, you wanna get good and warmed up for your first set of whatever, then on each of the next exercises, I would think you just need to do one set of something light for 8-10 reps to get some blood in their, then hit your sets.

BTW: yeah smarties! they do seem to be making their way around the gym lately :D

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 08:25 PM
nice workout!

nice job with the smarties as well ;)

if you are unsure of the calorie total, have you ever thought of tracking them at www.fitday.com ?

diego
05-10-2003, 05:52 AM
Hey diego, workout looks fine! I always spend the hour or two before hitting the gym psyching myself up (imagining everything I am going to do in the gym), so that when I get in there, the first exercise is right on target! It takes a bit of practice to get the mental mindet going, and the sooner you train your mind, the faster your progress will be.

for my .02 on your question 2 hours IS a bit long for what your doing at the moment. You should be able to get in and out in under an hour right now. How long are your breaks between each set? how long do you spend warming up for each set?

for warmups, you wanna get good and warmed up for your first set of whatever, then on each of the next exercises, I would think you just need to do one set of something light for 8-10 reps to get some blood in their, then hit your sets.

BTW: yeah smarties! they do seem to be making their way around the gym lately :D

Breaks range between 1-4 minutes

I warm up like this:
1 set about 30lbs x 14 reps
then increase by 20 lbs with 4 reps until I get to my work set.

diego
05-10-2003, 05:53 AM
nice workout!

nice job with the smarties as well ;)

if you are unsure of the calorie total, have you ever thought of tracking them at www.fitday.com ?

ye i use fitday every so often, is extremely useful

diego
05-12-2003, 05:26 PM
WEIGHTS

Bench Press
113x8, 1113x5

Incline Bench Press
89x6, 89x5

Weighted Dips
+30x8, +30x9

Chin Ups
x3, x3

Deadlifts
139x12, 139x10

Bent Over Rows
77x8, 83x7

Shrugs
144.5x11

DIET

Meal 1:
cup oats
cup milk
Potato wedges

Meal 2:
chicken breast
Potato wedges
Apple

Meal 3:
2 Ham slices
2 turkey slices
2 cheese slices
1 baguette

Meal 4:
Preworkout-
10g whey protein isolate
Bottle BPM

PostWorkout-
20g whey protein isolate
60g smarties

COMMENTS

Was better on flat bench press this week but still my gains are small and itís annoying me. Couldnít make any improvement on the incline bench press which REALLY annoyed me (hate when that happens), mustíve been that mental thing.
Iím not eating any more today I feel ill and donít want it to get worse. Might push leg day to Friday and do it with shoulders, biceps triceps as I may be busy on Wednesday.

diego
05-20-2003, 12:11 PM
WEIGHTS

Bench Press
117x6, 117x4

Incline Bench Press
90x10, 95x5

Weighted Dips
x12, x10

Chin Ups(didnít bother with these, will do them Wednesday probably)

Deadlifts
139x8, 139x8

Bent Over Rows(gonna stick on this weight until I can touch my upper abs)
83x8, 83x5

Shrugs
139x15

DIET

Meal 1:
1 cup oats
2 cup milk
2 boiled eggs

Meal 2:
1 Ham slices
1 turkey slices
1 cheese slices
1 baguette
cup cranberry juice

Meal 3:
Normal dinner

Meal 4:
Preworkout-
10g whey protein isolate
Bottle gatorade

PostWorkout-
20g whey protein isolate
50g smarties

Meal 5:
1 cup cottage cheese
4 spoons strawberry jam
1 cup oats
2 cups milk

COMMENTS

Last weeks workouts/diet sucked big time, didnít do day 3 or 5s workouts. Diet is pretty good the last 3 days though and hopefully itíll stay like that. Weighed my self last week 169.3 lbs (166 lbs 3 weeks ago), so Iím gaining at the right speed and I think I look visually like Iím getting bigger. Despite my depression and very down attitude of late I increased weight/reps on my workout today.

diego
05-22-2003, 06:18 PM
WEIGHTS

Abs & Back

Decline Crunches
x18, x14

Leg Raises
x10, x10

Chin Ups
x3, x3

COMMENTS

I think Iíll be doing abs on this day from now on as I have access to a abs bench and leg raise thingy on this day.

diego
05-22-2003, 06:20 PM
WEIGHTS

Legs

Hack Squat (good form this week)
139x8, 139x6

Leg Extension
92x14

Leg Curls
70x5, 67.5x5

COMMENTS

Eating was slightly sluggish due to being away from home, even though I had prepared food that morning. Played this net game American Army for 3 hours, best net game ever! My hack squat has improved immensely, lifting a heavier weight with good form. Only did one set of Leg ext cosí I thought the 2nd would be of no benefit. My back didnít feel up to doing any Straight legged deadlifts so I skipped it.

diego
05-22-2003, 06:21 PM
DIET

Meal 1:
Bowl cornflakes with milk
Bowl weetabix with milk

Meal 2:
Toasted cheese sandwhich
2 glasses fruitjuice

Meal 3:
Normal dinner

Meal 4:
Salmon in pastry
100g pasta
1 apple

Meal 5:
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup oats
cup milk
a lot of sugar

COMMENTS

Finally found an edible way of eating cottage cheese, and the magic ingredient, sugar. Going clubbing tomorrow errick morillo @ spirit, so itís gonna be hectic trying to get my workout finished early.

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 07:07 PM
have you tried just mixing a packet of splenda in with the co-cheese?

diego
05-25-2003, 06:55 PM
SLEEP

didnít get to sleep until 10.30am the next day, 2 hours, the shortest sleep Iíve had in 2 months, but for some reason I felt unaffected the next day

DIET

Meal 1:
1 cup oats
2 cup milk
1 cup cottage cheese
1 banana

Meal 2:
1 tin tuna
1 cup pasta
cup cranberry juice

Meal 3:
Normal dinner

Meal 4:
1 pizza

Meal 5:
1 pizza

COMMENTS

skipped todays workout due to events beyond (kinda) my control, thatís 2 weeks day 5ís workout has been missed, hope this doesnít continue. Went to spirit for Erick morillo, a lot of very hot house music and some very hot chicks. They put on an enjoyable show and much to my surprise and enjoyment it ended at an extremely late dublin hour of 4.30am (it was bright when we came out!) went back to res and ate, watched tv, listened music, surfed web until 10.30am (I just am on a high when I go home and canít sleep).

diego
05-26-2003, 06:20 PM
WEIGHTS

Chest & Back

Bench Press
119x7, 119x4

Incline Bench Press
97x5, 96x3

Weighted Dips
(skipped)

Chin Ups
x6, x4

Deadlifts
(skipped)

Bent Over Rows
87x6, 83x8

Shrugs
(skipped)

DIET

Meal 1:
1 cup oats
2 cup milk

Meal 2:
2 Toasted cheese sandwhiches
2 cups fruit juice

Meal 3:
Lasagne
pasta

Meal 4:
Preworkout-
10g whey protein isolate

PostWorkout-
20g whey protein isolate
75g smarties

Meal 5:
7 pancakes

COMMENTS

skipped dips cos I didnít have anything suitable to do them on today. Skipped deadlifts and shrugs cos I canít add any more to the bar, hopefully will have more weight next week. Which is better, an Olympic bar weights set or a spinlock bar weights set, whats the difference in the two other than the locking mechanism? Quite happy with my improvements in all other exercises especially chin ups, going from 3 to 6 reps in a week J

diego
05-26-2003, 06:23 PM
have you tried just mixing a packet of splenda in with the co-cheese?

what is splenda?

diego
06-01-2003, 05:26 PM
Week 7: Day 5:

WEIGHTS

Shoulders, Triceps & Biceps

Military Press
85x4, 80x3

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
32x10, 38x3

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
skipped

Close Grip Bench Press
96x8, 91x7

French Press
55x7

Barbell Curl
65x6, 60x6

Hammer Curls
33x9

COMMENTS

due to skipping the previous 2 weeks workouts of this, I did not gain on any exercises and made losses on some.

diego
06-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Week 8: Day 1:

WEIGHTS

Chest & Back

Bench Press
123x7(+6lbs), 117x4

Incline Bench Press
97x8(+3r), 87x6

Weighted Dips
x8, x7

Chin Ups
x7(+1r)

Deadlifts
(skipped)

Bent Over Rows
87x9(+3r), 87x6(+6lbs)

Shrugs
(skipped)

COMMENTS

have to concentrate on breathing more, my lack of it messed up one of my sets. Ĺ impressed with my gains, hope I can increase in bigger jumps in the future!

Alke
06-02-2003, 09:50 PM
hey diego, way to go on increasing your lifts!!! I'm sure you'll get the gains you want next go round.

Dont worry about missing sessions, working out is supposed to fun so its okay to skip in lieu of some other form of entertainment IMO. just be sure not to skip your meals :D

diego
06-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Week 8: Day 2:

WEIGHTS

Legs & Abs

Hack Squat
139x8(+4r), 139x6(+3r)

Leg Extension
92x18(+4r)

Leg Curls
70x8(+3r), 60x9

Straight Legged Deadlift
133x11, 123x8

Crunches
x20, +10x20

Decline Crunches
x20, x18

Hip Raises
x20

COMMENTS

Moved legs day to day 2, and am going to shift training 1 day forward (reflected in the journal from next week) to make the weekend more accessible :) Tried the above abs workout donít know if itís a good one but will give it a try, am doing the hip raises lying flat on the bench and raising my hips a few inches (donít know if this is the best either). Also took some progress pics today (they will not be posted until I have something to compare them with and when I am not as embarrassed about my appearance as I am now). i and am going to continue to take them on a monthly basis. Am going to do a cardio session tomorrow, a jog around my local urban junkyard, maybe I might see something fit, not!

diego
06-03-2003, 05:53 PM
hey diego, way to go on increasing your lifts!!! I'm sure you'll get the gains you want next go round.

Dont worry about missing sessions, working out is supposed to fun so its okay to skip in lieu of some other form of entertainment IMO. just be sure not to skip your meals :D

thanx kenn, your not doing to bad yourself!
eating is pretty solid at the mo' which i'm happy with.

aka23
06-03-2003, 06:02 PM
what is splenda?

Splenda is no calorie sweetener. Its website is http://www.splenda.com/ . Nice work with the gains in recent workouts.

diego
06-05-2003, 05:44 PM
CARDIO

20 min, low intensity jog

COMMENTS

Went running today for the 1st time in 2 years, and of course it had to rain, typical country. Was very refreshing and felt the better of it. Going to place cardio into my routine from now on, going to do the HIIT program 2 days a week and one session of low intensity long duration running. Need to get a weighing scales shortly donít have a clue of my weight, hope itís on target.

diego
06-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Week 7: Day 4:

WEIGHTS

Military Press
77x8(+2r), 77x5

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
28x9(-3lb), 28x5

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
16x10(+1lb), 10x10

Close Grip Bench Press
102x10(+5r), 97x9(+1r)

French Press
61x8(+2r), 55x7

Barbell Curl
70x7(+5lb) 65x7(+1r)

Hammer Curls
37x9(+3r)

COMMENTS

Terrible workout on the Shoulders today, I still have the problem of not feeling strong on the first exercise of a workout, what am I doing wrong??? Dumbbell Shoulder Press was the worst of all I dropped 3lbs from the previous week and still did 1 rep less than the heavier weight, really annoying! Other than that the workout was great, good gains on triís and biís.

diego
06-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Week 9: Day 1:

WEIGHTS

Chest & Back

Bench Press(terrible!)
123x7, 117x5

Incline Bench Press(not impressive)
103x5(+6lbs), 93x5

Weighted Dips(form questionable)
x9(+1r), x9(+1r)

Chin Ups
x7

Deadlifts
152x11(+13lbs), 152x9

Bent Over Rows
95x7(+8lbs), 95x6

Shrugs
143x12

COMMENTS

Was not prepared for this workout, lacked energy and motivation, which I think, is partly to blame for my unimpressive lifts. I will be doing some sort of cardio every day from now on to keep me active, and am going to change my daily schedule to get better sleep and more organization to my life. Another possible reason is my diet, which has been lacking of late, a re-assessment is in progress. Finally got more weight 2x55lb plates so am now lifting more on deads and shrugs. Also got a weighing scales and am thinking about getting callipers for testing body fat.

diego
06-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Week 9: Day 3:

STATUS

Weight:

169lbs(+3lbs)

WEIGHTS

Legs & Abs

Hack Squat
warmup, 154x10(+15lbs)

Leg Extension (huge gains!)
110x20(+18lbs), 126.5x11(+34.5lbs)

Leg Curls
warmup, 71.5x8(+1.5lbs), 71.5x6

Straight Legged Deadlift
warmup, 143x9(+7lbs), 133x11

Crunches
warmup, +16.5x20(+6.5lbs), +16.5x10

Hip Raises
x13, x18

COMMENTS

Weighed myself today, scales are a bit dodge but i think the above is an accurate reading. Have totally sorted my diet and general daily routine (using outlooks calender). Gonna put some pics of our gear tomorrow. Huge gains on Leg Extension, if only all of them could be like that! Unsure of how exactly to do hip raises.

DIET

MEAL 1
50g oats 170 5.5 36.5 2.7
250ml milk 160 8.2 12 9
1/2 Banana 60 .5 13 0

MEAL 2
bowl soup
2 eggs 205 17.5 0 15

MEAL 3
chicken curry
rice100g
mixed fruit

MEAL 4a

MEAL 4b

MEAL 5
50g oats 170 5.5 36.5 2.7
250ml milk 160 8.2 12 9
150g cottage cheese 145.5 16.8 5.25 6.3

diego
06-14-2003, 08:09 AM
Week 9: Day 5:

WEIGHTS

Military Press
85x6(+2r), 75x7

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
35.5x6/7(+3.5lb), 32.5x6/8

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
20x11(+4lb), 15x10

Close Grip Bench Press
117x4(+15lb), 106x7

French Press
66x6(+5lb), 55x6.5

Barbell Curl
66x6(-4lb) 65x4

Hammer Curls
38x7(+1lb)

COMMENTS

Far better workout today than last week, was making good progress until I hit the barbell curls, and dropped weight on this, i don't know why?? am going to set a goal for myself soon and will post it on the 1st page

pruneman
06-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Week 9: Day 5:

Far better workout today than last week, was making good progress until I hit the barbell curls, and dropped weight on this, i don't know why?? am going to set a goal for myself soon and will post it on the 1st page

Hey diego. i've been meaning to stop in at your journal for a while now.
Glad to hear the workout went well. You said the workout was far better than it was last week. Maybe you wore yourself out by the time you got to BB curls. Thats not a bad thing. It could just be a sign that you're getting a good w/o.
Keep up the good work.:D

aka23
06-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Unsure of how exactly to do hip raises.

There are a number of varieties. Some pictures and descriptions are below:

Incline Hip Raises -- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/WtInclineHipRaise.html
Cable Hip Raises -- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/CBHipRaise.html
Vertical Hip Raises -- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/WtVerticalHipRaise.html
Hanging Hip Raises -- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/WtHangHipRaise.html

How are you able to increment the dumbbells by 1lb? I often want to add small weights to the dumbbells, instead of increasing by 5lb. I am thinking about buying some 1.25lb plates.

diego
06-15-2003, 03:28 PM
Week 10: Day 1:

WEIGHTS

Chest & Back

Dumbbell Bench Press(poor)
60x4

Dumbell Incline Bench Press
50x6, 44x10

Weighted Dips
x9, x9

Chin Ups
x5

Deadlifts
skipped

Dumbbell Bent Over Rows
50x9, 44x9

Shrugs
160x10

COMMENTS

Went to my friends gym today, so finding out what equated to our own home bench was hard and ruined my bench press, also they had a bad selection of plates. did to many sets and tired me out for chin ups, so i don't think it reflects my current strenght. now using an excel chart to log progress and it works well.

diego
06-15-2003, 03:30 PM

There are a number of varieties. Some pictures and descriptions are below:

Incline Hip Raises -- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/WtInclineHipRaise.html
Cable Hip Raises -- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/CBHipRaise.html
Vertical Hip Raises -- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/WtVerticalHipRaise.html
Hanging Hip Raises -- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/WtHangHipRaise.html

How are you able to increment the dumbbells by 1lb? I often want to add small weights to the dumbbells, instead of increasing by 5lb. I am thinking about buying some 1.25lb plates.

we have got both 5 and 5.5 lb plates and 2.5 and 3 lb plates, so thats how we can increment the weight so slight.

diego
06-25-2003, 05:11 PM
Week 11: Tuesday

WEIGHTS

Chest & Back

Bench Press
123x8*(+1r), 117x8(+3r)

Incline Bench Press
103x4, 97x5(+2lb)

Decline Bench Press(new exercise)
97x7

Chin Ups
x5

Deadlifts
171x8(+19lb), 165x8(+13lb)

Bent Over Rows
97x6(+2lb), 87x6

Shrugs
143x8

TRAINING COMMENTS

not been in the game for the past week, due to being on the other side of the country and nowhere near a gym. got some gear (gloves, skipping rope) yesterday. from now on am going to do some skipping to warm-up and for each muscle group do a light warmup on the most compound exercise (chest-bench press, back-deadlift, legs-squats, shoulders+triceps+biceps-military press) this should speed up my routine and hopefully give me better energy throughout the workout. todays workout was not good.

diego
06-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Week 11: Thursday:

WEIGHTS

Military Press
85x6, 75x6

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
35.5x7, 33x6/7

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
23.5x13(+3.5lb), 21x11(+1lb)

Close Grip Bench Press
117x4, 107x6

French Press
66x3, 61x5

Barbell Curl
66x9, 55x6

Hammer Curls
41x4(+3lb)

TRAINING COMMENTS

i'm going to try and never miss a workout again, it takes like 2 weeks to make it back up. diet on the other hand is excellent gained 4 lb in 2 weeks, apparently, scales are slightly dodge though

diego
06-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Week 11: Friday:

STATUS

Weight

174lb(+5lb)

diego
07-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Week 12: Monday:

WEIGHTS

Chest & Back

Bench Press
127x6(+4lb), 116x8

Incline DumbBell Press
44x6s(+6lb), 44x6

Dips
x12(+3r), x9

Chin Ups
x7, x4

Deadlifts
180x11(+9lb), 171x6

Bent Over Rows
97x9(+3r), 87x7

Shrugs
149x12(+6lb)

TRAINING COMMENTS

Swapped Incline Barbell Press for Incline dumbell Press due to having noone to spot me and I reckon I could have got more reps on bench press due to same. My arms were very tired at the end of this workout and I had major problems with shrugs and droped the weight more for the reason that I couldn't hold it over not being able to lift it.

On incline Bench/Dumbbell press I'm getting a slight pain on the front of my shoulder, I think it's due to being not properly stretched, has anyone got any stretches for this specific muscle??

Also on Bent over rows how far do i need to bring the bar to my abs, and how far do I lower it, also is the back to maintain the same angle throughout??

diego
07-02-2003, 06:34 PM
Week 12: Wednesday:

WEIGHTS

Legs

Hack Squat
161x6(+7lb), 150x6

Leg Extension
skipped

Leg Curls
75x6(+3.5lb), 75x6

Straight Legged Deadlift
150x6(+7lb)

TRAINING COMMENTS

no spotter today again so workout slightly awkward. Felt pain in my back while doing hack squats, probably from deadlifts on Monday, so didn't go all out. skipped leg ext. due to me not being able to put on enough weight without the bench toppling over. diet slightly off of late due to irregular sleeping patterns, but am going to get back on track tomorrow. will start posting diet for the next 2 weeks just to make myself eat right.

diego
07-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Week 12: Thursday:

STATUS

Weight:

174lb

WEIGHTS

Shoulders, Triceps, Biceps & Abs

Military Press
85x5?, 75x4

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
38x5/5(+2.5lb), 33x7

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
22x10, 17x10

Close Grip Bench Press
117x5(+1r), 110x5

French Press
66x5, 55x9(+2r)

Barbell Curl
70x6, 60x8(+2r)

Hammer Curls
38x6/7

Crunches
22x14(+5.5lb), 16.5x14

Hip Raises
x14

COMMENTS

Militairy Press is my most hated of exercises, i can not gain on it, it seems. Even though DB shoulder press seems to be gaining. i also am getting a major 'clicking' noise coming from my shoulders when i stretch my arms to full ext. over my head. I did hip raises today hanging from a bar as opposed to usual. Weight has remained the same possibly due to my poor diet of late or that the scales are not accurate enough. I have posted some questions in the Bodybuilding/Fitness section which will hopefully fix some of my problems.

diego
07-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Week 13: Sunday

TODAY

Went to party today, quite mental. lots of beer and very little sleep, ahhhh.

diego
07-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Week 13: Monday:

WEIGHTS

Chest & Back

Bench Press
127x8*(+2r), 117x7

Incline Bench Press
103x4, 93x6

Decline Bench Press
97x10(+3r), 92x10

Chin Ups
x7, x3

Deadlifts
195x7(+15lb)

Bent Over Rows
103x8(+6lb)(4 to waist)

TRAINING COMMENTS

Slept 14hrs+ today, sweet! Incline Bench Press seems to be not moving anywhere so am going to switch to dumbbells next week. Chin Ups seem to be going nowhere aswell so am going to look into finding an alternative for that. Next week am going to go with 200lb for deadlifts it's gonna be nice to have reached that weight, only increasing by 5 so that I can make sure my form is perfect. With Bent Over Rows Im not sure is it neccsary to touch your waist with the bar or to just come within inches of it?

midee1
07-07-2003, 06:38 PM

Militairy Press is my most hated of exercises, i can not gain on it, it seems.

Thank god Diego I thought i was the only one in this boat. I've been stuck at 105lbs for what seems like months.:mad:

BTW I didn't mean thank god in a bad way I just meant that now I don't feel as bad.:D

Other than that all looks well with ya:thumbup:

aka23
07-07-2003, 11:38 PM
Militairy Press is my most hated of exercises, i can not gain on it, it seems.

The military press is also one of the exercises I dislike most. The motion feels awkward/unpleasant to me, and I make better gains with dumbbells. I stopped doing them a few weeks ago. I now substitute shoulder presses with dumbbells and using the military press machine.

I cannot imagine sleeping more than 14 hours in a single day. I usually sleep less than half of that.

diego
07-08-2003, 06:33 PM
REWORKED DIET

I've reworked my diet taking into account my heavier weight. In the last week my diet has been very poor and I hope this new plan will help me get back on track.

Daily Intake

Meal frequency: 5
Total caloric intake: 2950cal
160 g/ 640 cal Protein
350 g/ 1475cal Carbohydrate
62 g/ 590 cal Fat
5 l water

Per Meal Intake

590 cal
32 g/ 128 cal protein
74 g/ 295 cal carbohydrates
13 g/ 118 cal fat

Planned Meals

Food Calories Protein Fat Carbohydrates
Meal A
Bananas 54 0.5 0 14
Milk 128 6.6 7 10
Egg 232.5 18.75 15.75 0
Oats 251 7.2 3.7 50
Total 665.5 32.75 25.75 74
Desired 590 32 13 74

Meal B
Bread, white 320.4 9.84 4.32 59.4
Cheese(kilmeaden 123 7.5 11 0
OJ 64.5 1 0 13.5
Ham 54.5 6 3.3 1
Turkey 56 8.5 2 0
Total 618 33 20 73.9
Desired 590 32 13 74

Meal C
Tuna 142 20 7 0
Pasta 321 11 2 64
Apples 40 0 0.5 11
Total 503 31 9.5 76
Desired 590 32 13 74

Meal D
Chicken 165 31 3.5 0
Apples 40 0 0.5 11
Rice 269 6 0 60
Total 474 37 4 71
Desired 590 32 13 74

Pre WO
Chicken 55 11 1 0
Apples 81 0 0.5 21.5
Total 136 11 1.5 21.5
Desired 12 22

Post WO
Chicken 110 20 2 0
Smarties 343.5 2 12.3 55
Total 453.5 22 14.3 55
Desired 20 52

Meal F
Bananas 54 0.5 0 14
Milk 128 6.6 7 10
Tuna 113.5 15.5 5.5 1
Oats 251 7.2 3.7 50
Total 546.5 30 16 74
Desired 590 32 13 74

diego
07-09-2003, 05:26 PM
Week 13: Wednesday:

STATUS

Weight:

174lb(no change)

WEIGHTS

Legs & Abs

Hack Squat
warmup x 2, 160x8(+2r), 149x8(+2r)

Leg Extension
warmup, 130x12(+4lb), 123x9

Leg Curls
55x9, 65x9, 65x7

Straight Legged Deadlift (back?)
warmup, 143x9, 132x9

Crunches
warmup, 26.5x10(+4.5lb), 16.5x16(+2r)

Hanging Hip Raises
x16(+2r), x8

TRAINING COMMENTS

Went easy on hack squats to make sure I was on proper form, still finding them very awkward, but I've no alternative.
Leg Curls I dropped weight as my muscles were feeling sore all day before the WO.
Still don't know if Im getting a proper ab WO. On crunches I raise my shoulders of the bench leaving about a 1 inch gap is that enough?
Is it right that on Straight Legged Deadlift one feels the back majorily being used?
One thing I realised recently is that I rarely feel sore after a WO, is that ok?

diego
07-09-2003, 05:28 PM

I cannot imagine sleeping more than 14 hours in a single day. I usually sleep less than half of that.

ah, the life of a bum

diego
07-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by midee1

Thank god Diego I thought i was the only one in this boat. I've been stuck at 105lbs for what seems like months.:mad:

BTW I didn't mean thank god in a bad way I just meant that now I don't feel as bad.:D

Other than that all looks well with ya:thumbup:

ye, i know what you mean, i was hoping i wasn't the only one as well.

diego
07-12-2003, 07:24 AM
Week 13: Friday:

WEIGHTS

Cuban Rotation
x8, x8, x8, x8

Dumbbell Lateral Raises*
21x9, 21x7, 11x10

Close Grip Bench Press
117x7(+2r), 107x7

French Press
65x7(+1r), 55x9

Barbell Curl
70x8(+1r), 60x6

Hammer Curls**
43x5/0(+2lb)

TRAINING COMMENTS

*While doing the first or second rep of lateral raises i experienced a sudden severe pain in the front of my right shoulder, i continued on but the pain remained. This particular area seems very prone to injury as i hurt it last year aswell. I don't know what I should do now, drop certain exercises/break completely/perform strengthening exercises on that particular muscle?
**On Hammer Curls i couldn't even lift the weight with my right arm because of the pain outlined above. AHHHHHHHHH

diego
07-17-2003, 11:36 AM
Week 14: Wednesday:

WEIGHTS

Chest & Back

Bench Press*
129x5(+2lb), 119x7

Incline Bench Press
103x5(+1r), 93x5

Decline Bench Press
103x9(+6lb), 97x7

Chin Ups
x8(+1r)

Pull Ups(new)**
x6

Deadlifts***
201x7(+6lb), 191x7

Bent Over Rows****
107x3(within 1" of lower abs)/x6(within 2-3" of lower abs)(+6lb), 97x4/x7

Shrugs *****
154x15(+6lb)

TRAINING COMMENTS

I only started this weeks workout on Wednesday hoping to rest my shoulder more before I worked it again, seems to have helped.

*Despite my injury in my shoulder i was still able to perform all todays exercises with little discomfort and little loss in progression. Which would lead me to believe that the injury is in the deltoid lateral.
**Exchanged the 2nd set of chin ups for pull ups as i feel im not getting any gains out of the 2nd set
***Reached over 200lbs today! so i was pretty happy
****the first number of reps indicates ones that were brought to 1 inch of my lower abs the second are ones that were brought to just above the knee. How high do i need to go?
*****Still got grip problems

Diet is very good at the moment IMO reaching my required No. of cals, prot, carbs, fats are a bit over but ill work that out later.

diego
07-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Week 14: Saturday:

WEIGHTS

Triceps, Biceps & Abs

Close Grip Bench Press
119x6(+2lb), 109x7

French Press
69x8(+4lb), 59x8

Barbell Curl
75x5(+5lb), 65x6

Concentration Curls(new)
15x8, 25x8, 35x0/7

Hip Raises
x20, x20

TRAINING COMMENTS

Shoulder still hurting so skipped shoulder work again. my abs are probably the most neglected body part so hoping to change that.