PDA

View Full Version : How Strict Are You?

Fenbay
05-05-2003, 01:22 PM
When you decide upon a diet plan ...whether CKD, TKD, NO KD ... and figure out your caloric intake and macro break-downs how strict are you?

We all have lives outside of bodybuilding which are a constant distraction to our body goals. My wife is pregnant and eating everything in site which has been a real hurdle for me!

So, do you guys cheat once a week, once a month, never? And I'm trying to direct this question to the folks who have had some serious cut success. I know bigKevin is one who has some impressive before after pics so I'd be interested in his reply, but anyone who has had some good results I'd appreciate hearing fom.

SoulOfKoRea
05-05-2003, 01:56 PM
so far, my first cut ever, I've used 2 cheat days/refeeds in the past 4 weeks, more like 2-3 cheat meals

I'm just cutting for personal satisfaction, I have about 14 weeks left until summer is complete, then I can bulk and eat some crap food every once in a while, but mainly eating healthy

bradley
05-05-2003, 02:04 PM
I usually eat pretty clean all the time. The only thing that changes is the portions sizes and overall cals. I usually have a cheat meal on Saturday and try to keep it in moderation. You can't be so hard on yourself that it drives you crazy. If you have a bad day just acknowledge it and move on. One day out of 15 or even 30 is not going to mean that much in the grand scheme of things.

Relentless
05-05-2003, 02:09 PM
I have been on a succesful keto cut (down 24lbs so far...) since midmarch and since then have had 1 cheat day (Easter Weekend brunch) and that was it.

I'm lucky though, I never really have cravings and I don't even really LIKe eating... I eat coz I gotta.

That said, I'm not too strict on cals but super-strict on carbs. I'll occasionally feast on a big steak or something but as far as junk food, carb-slut food, etc... I don't even miss it. If I mess up my diet it's usually either too little cals overall, or too much powder/bars and not enough 'real' food...

raniali
05-05-2003, 02:24 PM
pretty darn strict. i'm an extremist so it's all or nothing for me. (but then again, i'm also obsessive-compulsive to some degree as well.) cheat meals (aka refeeds) are planned and scheduled. actually - last night, i ate a chicken teriyaki-on-the-side bowl which wasn't planned but did substitute for my dinner anyways.

as was pointed out - a REAL cheat meal every 2-4 weeks isn't going to make or break your efforts.

bigkevin20
05-05-2003, 02:32 PM
It was easy for me to lose my first 40 pounds or so. I am a strong believer in keeping things simple. I was a fat ass that drank beer and ate fast food almost everyday along with no activity.
Then I decided to make a change and stoped all of that above. Now i never counted my calories but I did not eat what was obvioulsy bad for you. fast food, junk food, sweets, etc. I ate more chicken, tuna, vegetables, protein powders you no all your healthy sh!t. I started Xenadrine and I FOUND A ROUTINE AND STUCK TO IT.

LET ME REPEAT MY SELF. I FOUND A ROUTINE AND STUCK TO IT. This was the change that is most important I think. And also the hardest for some people to stick to "IMO from the people I have delt with".
I love lifting weights and I have been constinten at least 4 to 7 days a week for the past 15 months from the day I started. If you stay at it and make going to the gym a necessary part of your life. I dont se how you can't get progress.

I just started looking in to refeeds and low carbs and all that stuff. I am sure this in detail would make my progress better. But I have never payed close attention to my numbers in what I have been eating. To time consuming for me, but I acomplish my goal for the most part any way.
If your gonna have a cheat day make it on the weekend and try to recover by saterday or sunday if you can. Thats what I did at least. I would not drink at all and if I did I would just drink on fridays that was a big change rite there. Now I barley drink on fridays at all. Any change you make and stick to you will se progress.
Just keep it simple and keep a lifting routine and time will tell, It took me a whole year. Hope this helps best of luck to you.
Oh and I didnt no much of any thing about lifting until I started reading the post hear.

Fightin Irish
05-05-2003, 02:41 PM
In reference to BigKevin's post, you have to understand the person. He has the same type of personality as raniali described and is definitely obsessive compulsive. I'm not saying it as a bad thing, I wish I had the will power that he has. But that explains a lot of it. Once he gets interested in something, there's no stopping him no matter what gets in his way. He's exactly right, just stick with it, make it a priority over everything and it'll work out...

bigkevin20
05-05-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
I have been on a succesful keto cut (down 24lbs so far...) since midmarch and since then have had 1 cheat day (Easter Weekend brunch) and that was it.

WOW
maybe I need to rethink my cut. How much % you lose so far?

Relentless
05-05-2003, 02:56 PM
I haven't had it tested so I can't say for sure

based on appearance estimates, I would say I've gone from 21-22% to about 15% so far... I have lost the last of that 'roll' around my middle and can see veins emerging all over the place. Still not quite to '6-pack' status but I can see abs. :D

Relentless
05-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by bigkevin20
I FOUND A ROUTINE AND STUCK TO IT. This was the change that is most important I think. And also the hardest for some people to stick to

This is excellent advice and the #1 thing I tell people that ask me about lifting and/or cutting...

Severed Ties
05-05-2003, 03:24 PM
My old Isocaloric I never cheated, just ate the same thing for 16 weeks.

Now I do things differently, my refeed days I eat whatever I want but the other 6 days my diet is perfect. I think the more you learn about dieting the easier it seems to follow cause right now I don't even feel as if I've been dieting but I sure look like it,lol.

ST

GhettoSmurf
05-05-2003, 06:02 PM
im pretty strict diet-wise. but i enjoy the foods i eat so it really doesnt bother me

starks713
05-05-2003, 06:07 PM
I just LOVE eating and my favorite foods are mexican and italian so that doesn't help. If I hadn't always been into lifting I would be one fat mofo.

Ironman8
05-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Hey, Fenbay, check out my sticky topic on the top. I decided to still cheat evey weekend when on cut, and I still was able to lose 6 pounds and 3% BF in 6 weeks :D

Manveet
05-05-2003, 06:49 PM
When I was dieting down, about a month ago, my diet was absolutely perfect for an entire month.

I've switched over to bulking, and my diet is still perfect, just added more cals. I'm more of a diet whore now compared to when I first started to bulk little over a year ago.

steveo
05-06-2003, 01:44 AM
I'm not as strick as far as calories go. I don't count calories I count my meals and portions. I eat the same thing everyday anyway so its easy to manage, but I never cheat, no matter how good something look and smell I simply go nuts.
I took my girl out to a fancy Italian resturaunt once while I was on a cut a few week out of a photo shot. I had a steak and pasta w/ lemon and water. She felt bad but I forced her to eat anything she wanted.

steveo
05-06-2003, 01:45 AM
That photo shoot was to try to get a sponsership, but they didn't like what they saw I guess, bastards.

Y2A
05-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Wow, you guys are good. Im not so great with dieting, if I didnt work out I would be fat again :(

05-06-2003, 02:23 PM
I'm never strict enuff. College will do that to ya.

gopher
05-06-2003, 04:06 PM
When I'm cutting I am very strict. I develop my plan and I stick to it. I usually have two carb up meals per week but these are plain oatmeal, plain brown rice, or plain sweet potatos. Of course when you are low carbing all week plain oatmeal is a treat!
When I'm bulking I try to eat clean but I do allow myself the occassional treat or cheat meal.

Ironman8
05-06-2003, 05:33 PM
Gopher= boring :D

Shankerr
05-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Depends, if I am cutting, I am incredibly strict, but if I am bulking, I'll usually have a cheat meal every other day or so.

Shankerr
05-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Gopher= boring :D

bahahaha

Behemoth
05-08-2003, 03:00 PM
SoulOfKorea, your sig says your 130lbs... Just curious why in the world you would cut at 130lbs?
You're not 3'2" are you by chance?

mic79
05-12-2003, 07:57 AM
hey severed ties im curious as to why you switched from an isocaloric to your current plan?im thinkin of givin the isocaloric a shot bro to shed the last few lbs.

Fenbay
05-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Mic....

Read the stick at the top. ST has had some nice results from his current diet regiment. I'm currently tracking some results similiarly and trying to figure out the best pattern.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=29589

John0101
05-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Avatar
I'm never strict enuff. College will do that to ya.

i feel your pain bro

bryancore
05-12-2003, 11:50 PM
CKD: I haven't been as strict in the past, but actually these past 2-3 weeks have been really strict, and the results are amazing. I am evenly spreading out my food, and it's suppressing my appetite well. I used to think i needed those ephedra products to lose weight, but now that i've got the power to stay under control dieting is much easier. The Journal's help too. =)