PDA

View Full Version : It's Like '60 Minutes' on Acid, Man!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Scott S
05-05-2003, 04:05 PM
I have something like 20 posts total here, so this almost counts as an intro. I'm a 22-year old college student (almost graduated but coming back for another semester) who's only been lifting intelligently for about a month.

I'm 5'8" about 140 lbs, so you guessed it, I'm bulking! The eating part is plenty fun; I used to keep track of my calorie intake but when you eat at a cafeteria most of the time, it's hard to measure amounts. Therefore, I just eat until I'm full, then I eat more. :cool:

I figure that a journal might be fun to keep, and I can pretend that it validates my existence, or at least my presence here, right?

Anyway, my workout split is as such (I'll post today's workout in a separate post):

Day 1 (Legs):
Squats 2 x 3-6
Good mornings 2 x 3-6
Deads 2 x 3-6
Standing Calf Raises 4 x 10

Day 2 (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps):
Chest:
Flat BB Bench 2 x 3-6
Low Incline Dumbbell Press 2 x 3-6
Dips 2 x 3-6

Shoulders:
Military Press in Rack 2 x 3-6
Seated Dumbbell Press 2 x 3-6
Lateral Raises 2 x 3-6

Triceps:
Narrow Grip Bench 2 x 3-6
French Press 2 x 3-6

Day 3 (Back, Biceps):
Seated Rows 2 x 3-6
Chin-ups 2 x 3-6
Shrugs 1 x 10

Seated Barbell Curls 2 x 3-6
Hammer Curls 2 x 3-6

And that's it. I've been eating a lot and making gains, so it's really fun. Let's see how big I can get before I decide to cut!

- Scott

Scott S
05-05-2003, 04:14 PM
So I had a great leg day today:

Note: I've been substituting leg press for squats to begin with while I get my strength up enough to do real squats...

Good mornings:
50kg (110lbs) x 8
50kg x 8 (these surprised me; I'd only done 4 reps each last week, definitely bumping them up next week!)

Sumo Deads:
60kg (132lbs) x 6
60kg x 6
(I'd done the equivalent amount of 50kg last week.)

Standing Calf Raises:
60kg (132lbs) x 10
60kg x 10
60kg x 11
60kg x 13
(Up from 50kg last week)

Leg press:
187.5lbs x 4
187.5lbs x 6
175lbs x 8
(I did 175lb sets last week. I think I'm good and ready for real squats now.)

So there it is. Bring on the tomatoes!

- Scott

wibble
05-05-2003, 04:22 PM
Hey Scott, welcome to journal land! :) You're like the exact same height and weight as me so thats kinda neat. Maybe we should get into a bulking contest sometime just for kicks. :p

Anyways, good luck with your training!

:spam:

Later,
wibble

Scott S
05-05-2003, 04:53 PM
That'd be fun, wibble! Be forewarned that I can really turn on the "glutton mode" when I want to.

I should mention that in February/March, I set out to follow an Atkins-type diet to try to cut some bodyfat... since I love meat, it wasn't too hard for me, and I lost about 10 lbs without losing much strength. Seeing 128 on the scale and looking in the mirror made me realize that I'd need some serious muscle to look good cut! The funny part of the whole Atkins thing was that about every weekend, I'd bail and eat a bunch of carbs -- I was following a CKD without even realizing it!! No wonder it worked so well.

I should mention daily vitamins and stuff, too:

1 multivitamin
400 IU vitamin E
calcium citrate if I haven't eaten much dairy that day
handful of 1000mg fish oil caps

Protein shake bracketing each workout consisting of:

30g whey protein
30g dextrose
30g maltodextrin

I aim for a little more than 30g of each since I weigh more than 60kg these days...

- Scott

Budiak
05-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Kilograms? What the **** is this crap?

Wait! Your leg presses are in pounds??!?!

*slams head against wall

Scott S
05-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Oops... sorry Budiak. The rack I do my deads/calf raises/good mornings on has metric plates, while everything else in the gym is English. I was going to go back and calculate the English equivalents. Not like a good American to leave stuff in metric, huh? :D

- Scott

Scott S
05-05-2003, 11:39 PM
There ya go, Bud.

- Scott

wibble
05-06-2003, 09:50 AM
:clap:

Those kilograms are like a foreign language. ;)

Scott S
05-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Flat Barbell Bench:
130lbs x 4
130lbs x 4
(125lbs last week. I'm gonna own those 45lb plates next week!)

Low Incline Dumbbell Press:
35lbs x 6
35lbs x 6
(Last week: 30x10, 30x8)

Dips:
BW x 6
BW x 6
(It's time to start adding weight to these)

Military Press in Rack:
85lbs x 3
85lbs x 3
75lbs x 5 (drop set)
(My regular sets were 75lbs last week)

Seated Dumbbell Press:
30lbs x 5
30lbs x 5
(Arghhh, regressed since last week's 30x8, 30x6)

Lateral Raises:
15lbs x 6
15lbs x 6
(I was doing 20lb dumbbells last week, but I didn't feel I was going high enough on the last reps, so I'm going to concentrate on form now...)

French Press:
How much does an EZ Curl bar weigh?? I'm gonna list how much weight I put on for the time being...
42.5lbs x 6 (EDIT: 57.5lbs if bar weighs 15lbs. Thanks aka23!)
42.5lbs x 6
(Up from 40x6, 40x4 last week.)

Narrow Grip Bench:
95lbs x 5
95lbs x 5
These *humiliated* me... I was doing 105 last week. It's either because I saved these for last, or I'm not eating enough.

- Scott

P.S. Don't worry, I'll stop talking about last week once I've gotten a week in here. I like typing how I've improved though. :D

aka23
05-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
How much does an EZ Curl bar weigh?? I'm gonna list how much weight I put on for the time being...

An olympic EZ curl bar usually weighs about twenty pounds. Some weigh a bit more or less. Standard EZ curl bars usually weigh ten to fifteen pounds.

The Dream
05-07-2003, 12:31 PM
That looks like a solid workout there bro. The only thing I would change is to dump the lateral raises. Since you're just starting out you should focus on nothing but compound movements. Just give 110% effort on the presses and build a solid base. Good luck.

Scott S
05-07-2003, 01:34 PM
aka23: Okay, I'll estimate 15 then.

The Dream: Makes sense. I hate 'em anyway. :)

Also, should I be doing both military presses and seated dumbbell presses? Or should I drop one and go all out on the other?

- Scott

wibble
05-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Also, should I be doing both military presses and seated dumbbell presses? Or should I drop one and go all out on the other?

I do them both, Military Press is a compound movement and the DB Press is more isolated.

The Dream
05-07-2003, 01:58 PM
I'd go with 3 sets/military press and maybe 2 sets of arnold presses or db presses.

Scott S
05-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Seated Rows:
112.5 x 6
112.5 x 4
(100x6 last week -- when it comes to form, should my hands come back close enough to touch my chest? I think that the last couple reps on each set might not count by that definition.)

Lat Pulldowns:
137.5 x 4
137.5 x 1 (Grrrr...)
125 x 4
(Increased my weight for one set this week at least. Getting closer to being able to to pullups again!)

Shrugs:
80 x 10
(75lb dumbbells last week.)

Seated Barbell Curls:
55 x 4
55 x 3.5
45 x 6

Hammer Curls:
30 x 5
30 x 5
(Ouch -- tried 35s for one rep, but had to go back to last week's poundage.)

That's it for this week -- time to eat something!

- Scott

The Dream
05-08-2003, 05:16 PM
yeah, bring it to your chest on the seated rows bro

Scott S
05-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Good god, this was probably the unhealthiest weekend I've taken in a long time. Went on my frat's annual campout event. Lotsa fun, good weather for the most part... didn't eat enough though, and I drank a lot and did some not-so-legal activities (anybody know the nutritional facts on psilocybin mushrooms?)... :alcoholic :smoke: tuttut

But I digress...

Squats!:
105 x 6
115 x 6
125 x 4
Not having done these in a while, it took a couple sets to figure out what weight I should be doing. They felt great!

Good mornings:
132 x 4
132 x 6

Stiff-Leg Deads:
154 x 6
154 x 5

Standing Calf Raises:
154 x 10
154 x 10
154 x 10
154 x 10

Progressed on everything! Very proud of myself...

- Scott

wibble
05-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Good job on the progression! :thumbup:

As for the mushrooms, Tripday.com tells me that the nutritional breakdown is about 4g's of what the f*ck and 10g of good times! ;)

Scott S
05-14-2003, 12:13 PM
Damn, I hate waking up sick... I've had the toughest time eating enough today, and I think my workout suffered a little, too.

Flat DB Press:
50 x 7
50 x 7
Thought I'd change things up and go back to dumbbell presses once, before I hit the BB bench again. It's fun pushing those bigger dumbbells into the air, but my stabilizers always let me down. Getting into position really sucked.

Low Incline DB Press:
40 x 3
40 x 5

Weighted Dips:
+20 x 6
+20 x 3
Now if only my gym had real dip belts, that would be wonderful...

Military Press in Rack:
85 x 4
85 x 2
75 x 6
Arggh, I didn't progress at all here. Almost wondering if I should go back to 75s next week and aim for more reps before moving on.

Seated DB Press:
30 x 8
30 x 6
Got a couple more reps here at least.

Narrow Grip Bench:
95 x 8
95 x 5
Since I realized lately that I could always widen my grip to bail out, I've had more confidence on these.

French Press:
65 x 4
65 x 5

- Scott

Scott S
05-17-2003, 12:19 AM
Hmmwell, I hate to disappoint the people who read my journal, but I'm taking a break.

As I posted in the Training section, I pulled something in my right forearm during Wednesday's workout. Common sense tells me to take a break and let it heal. I was really looking forward to adding bentover BB rows to my back workout, too!

So I'm gonna give it a week (and lots of ibuprofen) and see how it's doing next Wednesday. I think when I come back, I'm going to lower my weights a little and increase my reps. I have a feeling that with the 3-6 rep range, I may have been trying to advance too fast for a relative beginner.

Don't worry though, as Arnold so famously said:

[c'mon, you know this one!]

- Scott

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 06:00 AM
that sucks man.. i hope you get etter soon!

Coke
05-17-2003, 06:02 AM
:hello:

:withstupi

wibble
05-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Take it easy. You'll be back at it soon! :thumbup:

Scott S
05-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Hey, after exactly 7 days, I decided to lift again, whether healed or not. (Thankfully, my elbow didn't bother me so I think it is healed.)

In the meantime, I still ate as big as possible, despite catching a bad cold. I'd hoped that the week of "strategic deconditioning" might help. But it didn't.

Bent-over Barbell Rows!:
111 x 7
111 x 8
132 x 2
I was so pumped to try these out, I did 'em first! I went through a couple of warmup sets, seeing how much weight I should do. Those weird numbers, BTW, are an artifact of the conversion from kilograms. Don't ask *me* why they have metric weights on the "Power Lift" rack...

Barbell Shrugs:
154 x 10
176 x 10
I am, quite honestly, far too weak to handle 85lb dumbbells gracefully, so I made the switch to barbell shrugs.

Barbell Curls:
45 x 8
45 x 4
45 x 2
I'm not even gonna talk about these. :mad:

Lat Pulldown:
112.5 x 7
112.5 x 7
...or these.

Hammer Curls:
30 x 6
30 x 3
So, I realized after last week's workout, I've been doing these wrong. You're supposed to touch the end to your chest and point the other end straight out... d'oh...

So I can safely say that if I gained any weight this last week, it was pure blubber. Grrrr... :swear:

Scott S
05-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Well folks, one of the great things I've discovered about lifting is that usually there's something to be learned if you have an off-day. Such as today.

My back took every opportunity to go round this workout. It wasn't till the second set of good mornings that I figured it out: my legs were too stiff to let me bend over without rounding my back! Which leads us to today's lesson:

ALWAYS STRETCH BEFORE YOU WORK OUT!

Squats:
125 x 5
125 x 6
My brain farted out and it took a couple sets to realize I hadn't put enough weight on the bar yet. Screwing any chance at progression.

Good mornings:
132 x 5
132 x 4
110 x 8
Umm, yeah. My back rounded so much trying to bend down all the way, I'm surprised I didn't hurt myself. Lucky this time. Once I wised up and stretched my hamstrings a lot, I did a dropset to see if my form would improve. Oh yes.

Stiff-Leg Deads:
154 x 6
154 x 6
More reps this time. Whoo!

Calf Raises:
176 x 10
176 x 10
176 x 10
176 x 10

You know what, I've had it with these 5k/10k/15k/20k/25k plates! I do NOT want to move up by 22 pounds every time I try to progress! Therefore, I'll carry the normal metal plates from the squat rack everytime I do a leg workout. Metric weights are bullshift.

Hrmmph.

Scott S
05-25-2003, 12:38 AM
UPDATE:

Diet has been p|ss-poor as of late. No idea how many calories I'm taking in. It's all over the place.

Finals + moving = SUCK.

So I decided to do my body a favor and take 10 fish oil caps at once.

That is all for now.

Scott S
05-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Alright, now that I'm home, it's time to deal with a different gym. And all the other college and high school kids who have more time to lift now. :mad:

BB Bench:
125 x 5
135 x 3
Not great, but got closer to my BW on the second set.

Low Incline DB Bench:
35 x 7
35 x 7
Another regression, but I've gotten the reps up. Maybe next week I'll try upping the poundage again.

Weighted Dips:
+25 x 6
+25 x 4
More weight here at least.

DB Flyes (new exercise!):
15 x 8
15 x 8
15 x 8
Finally, my pecs feel like they've been used for once!

Military Press in Rack:
75 x 8
75 x 6
75 x 3
Funny story! Good thing I looked up before attempting this *inside* the rack -- there are bars going all the way around! :scratch: Had I not looked first, I would have rammed the BB against the top of the rack, and dropped it on my head. So I pulled the bar-holding pins and reassembled the rack to do my military presses outside the rack. It worked, even if it looked weird to go to all that work.

Seated DB Press:
30 x 6
30 x 2
Same weight, fewer reps before failure. Arghhh...

Narrow Grip Bench:
85 x 6
85 x 3
I did these after the flyes, so no chance of pulling the same weight as before.

French Press:
65 x 6
55 x 6
My tris were dead before I even got to these.

Tune in next time, and maybe I'll improve!!

clvmike19
05-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Scott, I was at 138 in Jan. Just keep eating big and look to add weight each week when you can. Im at 150 now so it can be done. If my skinny ass can put on 12lbs you will be fine. Anyhow, good job on the workouts. Keep it up!

PS: stop by my journal sometime. You can be a part of the WBBSkinnyAsses, the WBBSA now 3 members strong (me,wibble,and GhettoSmurf I think)

Scott S
05-27-2003, 09:49 PM
I was wondering what WBBSA meant!! Sign me up!

You should see my brother sometime -- he's 6'1" and he weighs 3 pounds LESS than I do! He's the real skinny-ass! I should get him to lift with me more often.

That brings up a good point. Since I'm home, I have access to a very accurate digital scale. Yesterday morning (upon arising, after using the toilet) I weighed 145 lbs. (The brother is 141.5 lbs)

clvmike19
05-27-2003, 09:52 PM
Youre in my fellow WBBSA brother! Now we all must eat and lift and eat some more.....

Off to the refridgerator!

Scott S
05-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Excellent! Time to do some hardcore sleeping before tomorrow's back/biceps workout!

Scott S
05-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Last night I decided to try HIIT with my sister. She wants to lose weight (like 30 pounds before school starts again), but it hasn't quite sunk in that a) it wouldn't be healthy to lose 30 lbs in three months and b) even to lose 10-15 lbs in that time would require a strict diet and hardcore effort. She just wants to eat salads and jog on a treadmill.

Anyway, we did 10 second sprints with 30 second rests for about 5 min. Boy, is this effective! We both put a lot into it and agreed that we couldn't go much much longer.

Bad news is, I think I pulled something in my right leg. The top of my right calf has a dull pain if I press on it, and I feel it everytime I get up from sitting. Anybody have an idea what it could be? After a little bit of walking, I don't notice it.

wibble
05-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Bad news is, I think I pulled something in my right leg. The top of my right calf has a dull pain if I press on it, and I feel it everytime I get up from sitting. Anybody have an idea what it could be? After a little bit of walking, I don't notice it.

Probably just a little strain, should get better on its own. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I was wondering what WBBSA meant!! Sign me up!

Welcome aboard! :D The 4 of us are around the same weight give or take 5lbs or so. Since we're all pretty small together, lets see if we can get big together! :thumbup:

Hows the elbow holdin up btw?

aka23
05-28-2003, 05:14 PM
Last night I decided to try HIIT with my sister...

Afer the first time I did HIIT I also had some lasting muscle pains. If I remember correctly, they were in a muscle near my shin and my inner thighs. Both problems went away on their own after a few days. If it does not go away on its own, there are many possibilities such as a calf strain which is described at http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_calfrupt_sma.htm Calf problems when running are sometimes related to tight muscles (poor flexibility / poor stretching) or not enough warmup.

clvmike19
05-28-2003, 08:28 PM
The goal for all of us to be 165-70 by summer's end. We can do it!

Lift hard and eat big....

Scott S
05-28-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty happy. It was a "slow day" at the rec center today, so I didn't have to wait for anything! :D

Barbell Rows:
115 x 6
115 x 5
95 x 9
I dunno about these. My form suffered on the first two sets, and I didn't even get the weight up to... myself every time, so I dropped the weight down and my form improved. From here on, I'm going to emphasize good form over studly progressions. I've only got ONE good lower back to work with...

Barbell Shrugs:
185 x 10
185 x 10
No problem with lifting these, but my grip sucks. I had to break each set 8/2 to do them without dropping them.

Barbell Curls:
55 x 8
55 x 6
Woo-hoo! Not only did I move up, I nailed my target reps!

Lat Pulldown:
"8" x 8
"8" x 8
Anybody know WTF it means when the weights are numbered 1 to 20? I hate machines that don't deal in pounds. Grrrr!!

Hammer Curls:
30 x 3 (arghh... let's take a break)
25 x 9
I know now what I did wrong. I tried the hammer curls immediately after kicking ass on the BB curls. No wonder I couldn't even do what I'd done last week. I came back to these after some other stuff and it wasn't so bad. I should have picked up 30s though.

wibble and aka23: Thanks for the encouragement. I hope it goes away soon. Of course, it probably is due to the lack of warming up we did before attempting the super-strenuous sprinting. tuttut

clvmike19: 165-170, eh? I'm 145 right now. I think if I got to 170, I'd be pretty damn pudgy. I've never weighed more than 150 in my life. I'm shooting for 160 by summer's end. If I somehow put on 20 lbs of muscle, sure, maybe I'll keep going. Otherwise, I'm gonna cut!

clvmike19
05-29-2003, 07:29 AM
Nice workout Scott! Remember good form is always more important than how much weight you lift. The strenght will come w/ good form. I have a friend that I lift with sometimes that has terrible form and I bitch all the time.

Ive never been over 140 in my life and Im 150 now. If you eat right and I guessing we have about the same body type you wont have to worry about getting fat. If you do there is always time to cut. NOW GO EAT! :D

AtomicXY
05-29-2003, 07:36 AM
can I be a part of the WBBSA? lol

clvmike19
05-29-2003, 07:40 AM
how much do ya weigh? :D

If its 155 or less youre in!

AtomicXY
05-29-2003, 09:13 AM
I'm 157 but I'm 6'1, just look at me! my pics are in the members section.

Scott S
05-29-2003, 09:30 AM
AtomicXY: I think so... I just checked your pics. You'll have to ask a more senior member though. I think it's also a group who could also be classified as "runts" due to our short statures (5'8"). So that's another thing we're struggling (actually it's fun!) against.

Weight update:
147.5 lbs this morning! w00t!

clvmike19
05-29-2003, 12:36 PM
157? Skinny enough for us! Youre in. A little tall though you lanky bastard! jk. Welcome aboard!

WBBSA now 6 members strong!

Scott S
05-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Great. Now I have to change my signature.

Fun fact: orange juice has protein in it. Who knew?

clvmike19
05-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Lol scott, but your like member #3.

OJ has like 120 cals per cup too. Not quite milk but still good.

AtomicXY
05-29-2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks Guys, I feel special now:) I am lanky aren't I!

Scott S
05-31-2003, 10:12 PM
Diet update: Went to North Country Steakhouse with the family. Cooked myself a juicy, delicious 20oz steak... (that works out to 570g!) Hmm... so, depending on which side of the fence you're on, I either got a HUGE protein pulse, or my body is trying to figure out how to waste several hundred grams of it! Oh, and the baked potato with butter and the iced tea were good too. Mmmmm... :D

GhettoSmurf
06-01-2003, 06:05 AM
Diet update: Went to North Country Steakhouse with the family. Cooked myself a juicy, delicious 20oz steak... (that works out to 570g!) Hmm... so, depending on which side of the fence you're on, I either got a HUGE protein pulse, or my body is trying to figure out how to waste several hundred grams of it! Oh, and the baked potato with butter and the iced tea were good too. Mmmmm... :D

omg 20oz. steak!?

MMMMMMMM sooooo much meat :drooling:

clvmike19
06-01-2003, 09:09 AM
20 oz? Nice!

Now go eat more dead animal.....

Scott S
06-01-2003, 02:33 PM
That place is great. You can get your name woodburned onto a section of the wall (as a member of the Steak Lover's Club) if you polish off their 40oz steak in under an hour. I'll save that for next time. ;)

wibble
06-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Dear god, 40oz of sweet delicious cow. I don't know whether to drool or puke. Thats seriously insane. That works out to be like a whole calf by my calculations. :)

Scott S
06-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Hey all. I'm back! In the last couple days, I've moved back to college for a month-long summer class in Ethics. Fun stuff.

I've decided that now that I'm buying all my groceries and eating by myself, it'll be easier to keep a diet journal as well. So here goes.

This is yesterday's food and workout, BTW, owing to some computer trouble I've had until now. I'm going to lump all "like" things together since I graze rather than sit down for meals anyway.

Diet Totals (6/2):
2.5 cups oatmeal, with
1 scoop (10g) whey
1 can tuna
2 cups salmon
5 slices whole wheat bread
15 fish oil caps
1 cup cottage cheese
post-workout shake

Roughly 2400 cals/159 grams protein. I'm probably low on fats.

Leg Workout (6/2):
Squats:
115 x 6
115 x 7
115 x 5 (came back later for another set.)
I widened my stance and lowered the weight, and my form improved a lot. As my legs/ass are already way too big for the rest of me, I'm not going to worry about strict progression for them if it means sacrificing form. It may take another week to really get into the swing of these.

Not-So-Good Mornings:
95 x 6
95 x 6
I stretched and I stretched, but I still COULD NOT keep my back from rounding as my torso approached horizontality -- does that mean I'm still using too much weight? God, I'm weak.

Stiff-Leg Deads:
155 x 5
155 x 6
155 x 6

Calf Raises:
185 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10
185 x 10
Midway through this workout, I realized that Luther actually has a standing-calf-raise machine. I'll do that next time.

A couple guys from the football team were also in the gym today, and two were even doing Olympic stuff. I should really learn how to do that stuff. It looks fun. Well, you know, in a weightlifting kind of way. ;)

Well that's it. Today's stuff will go in another post. Cheers!

EDIT: And, I'm on page three!! /w00t!

Scott S
06-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Moving on to... Today!

Diet:
0.75 cup oatmeal with 10g whey
1.5 cups salmon

ham and cheese bagel sandwich
22 oz Pepsi (got desperate for calories!)

slice of bread
1 cup oatmeal
13 oz skim milk

pre/post-workout shake

slice of bread
another bagel sandwich
big Heath bar cookie

(this space reserved for rest of day's intake...)

Totals so far: Calories: 2670 (not counting the cookie; with: well over 3000 calories), protein: 164

Weighted Dips:
+30 x 6
+30 x 4
+25 x 5
Note: BW ~= 150 lbs.
I was *shuddering* by the last couple reps. I need to be pouring that much into all my workouts! I also need to buy an honest-to-god dip belt. I really don't like the feeling of a dumbbell held tightly against my junk with a belt while I'm working.

Low Incline DB Press:
40 x 3 Maybe next time...
35 x 7
35 x 6

DB Flyes:
20 x 7
20 x 6
20 x 7
I'm really liking these. Except for when my arms are out all the way, and my forearms start expressing their doubt.

Shoulder Press:
30 x 7
30 x 6
30 x 5

French Press/Skullcrushers/whatever:
55 x 7
55 x 4
Maybe if I didn't always do these last, it would look like I was improving on them...

Leg Press:
150 x 8
162.5 x 8
175 x 8
I was disappointed in yesterday's leg workout, mostly because I cut back on the weights, but apparently not enough to correct my form all the way. So I did leg presses until my old hernia site said "No!"

[EDIT: added some more food.]

clvmike19
06-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Good workouts! I never tried good mornings. Look like they could be cool but Id fall flat on my face doing them.

Any weight gains so far??

Scott S
06-03-2003, 09:00 PM
clvmike: I've gained a couple pounds... I started at 138 at the beginning of my journal; now I'm at roughly 150. I won't be able to accurately measure my weight again until I find a good scale around here. They've hidden their digital scale from me. :cry:

Some days it's hard to eat enough, especially now that I'm trying to be somewhat clean about it. And being sick for a couple days doesn't help either. It doesn't really occur to you that you won't be able to stuff as much down when you're sick, but it's way tougher.

I think I'm still on track to be 160 by the end of summer. :cool:

Scott S
06-04-2003, 08:11 PM
No workout today; just

Food:
1.75 cups oatmeal
1280 mL skim milk
5 slices of wheat bread
1 can of root beer
1 can salmon

Totals so far: Calories: 2190, protein: 158 g

My target is 2700, and I've got plenty of time to get 500 more down. :D

Cheers!

clvmike19
06-04-2003, 08:14 PM
Hey thats what Im at 151. We started at the same weight too! How long did that 12lbs take to put on? It took me like 5 months since I was new and overtraining.

keep up the good work. I want 160 by sometime in late July.

Scott S
06-04-2003, 08:52 PM
clvmike19:
Hmm... wow, it's been no longer than a month. :eek: No wonder I feel so blubbery! I'm sure some of it is water from all the sodium I'm taking in.

I know I'm gaining some muscle, but either I'm not pushing myself enough during workouts or something, because I am sure more weight is going on as fat than muscle. It sucks when you can feel gravity pulling on your cheeks!

I'll cut when I reach 165-170, but I just know I'll have a LOT to cut when that time comes. :micro:

Perhaps in the meantime, I'll try to keep my calories from going too far over 3000, except maybe on workout days.

[150 x 18 = 2700, 150 x 20 = 3000, etc.]

clvmike19
06-04-2003, 08:56 PM
12lbs in a month!

Great googly moogly!!!!

Thats quite a jump. I wonder how much is water etc. Have your lifting weights gone up alot w/ your weight?

Scott S
06-05-2003, 03:20 PM
That's the sad part; I've made some progress, but I think I'm also still getting used to some of the exercises. So, it's hard to judge my progress as I'm doing whatever I can to improve my form. I can definitely see that I have more muscle. (I have some triceps now, and I can see my lats *from the front* when I look into a mirror!)

Scott S
06-05-2003, 07:09 PM
Food:
1000 mL skim milk
4 slices wheat bread
6 servings of canned salmon
2 cups oatmeal
0.5 cups 4% cottage cheese
shake
bagel sandwich
PB&J sandwich (see next entry)

Calories: 2990 (today's goal: 3000) Protein: 179g
EDIT: totals now include entire day

Bent-Over Barbell Rows:
95 x 10
95 x 8
95 x 8
Okay, so I haven't bumped up the weight BUT I am now confident in my form. I shouldn't enjoy this exercise so much.

Barbell Shrugs:
195 x 10 (+10lb)
195 x 10
Using an alternate grip won't affect this exercise, right? It really helped with my grip.

Barbell Curls:
57.5 x 6 (+2.5lb)
57.5 x 3
57.5 x 1
Fate has taught me to be patient with these...

Lat Pulldown:
125 x 6 (+12.5lb)
125 x 5
125 x 6
...these too. I'll do honest-to-god pull-ups when I can pull down 150 lbs or more. Maybe after I've cut, in other words. :mad:

Hammer Curls:
30 x 3 (+jack)
25 x 7
25 x 6
Maybe it's psychological. :confused:

Until next time...

Scott S
06-06-2003, 07:03 PM
Diet:
2 servings salmon
750 mL skim milk
3 natty-PB-and-apricot-preserves-sandwiches
1 can tuna
heel of bread loaf
1 cup of oatmeal
300 mL skim milk
1 cup cottage cheese

Totals:
Calories: 2850 Protein: 171g
EDIT: blah blah blah

No workout today, although I really want to. It sucks, but I need to put some more time in between Mondays' leg workout and the next leg workout.

Like aka23 said, I'd lift everyday if I could do so without overtraining!

Scott S
06-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Diet:
2 cups oatmeal
1060 mL skim milk
1 cup CC
7 servings salmon
PB&J sand
large cinnamon roll

Final Cals: 2537 Protein: 177g

No workouts until my leg stops being such a bitch.

I'm out.

*punches wall

Scott S
06-08-2003, 07:38 PM
Diet:
1.5 cup oatmeal
1560 ml skim milk
4 PB&Js
1 can tuna w/ bread

Cals: 2445 Protein: 146g

Now that I'm all worried about possibly having a blood clot (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32593) in my leg, I'm not even sure if I should work out again before getting it checked out by a doctor! Why must my progress continually be delayed by injuries??!?

Cardio is the devil. This coming from a long-time cross country runner.

*cries

*keels over dead when blood clot travels to heart

GhettoSmurf
06-08-2003, 07:50 PM
i'd try to get it checked out by a doctor ASAP just to be on the safe-side. i hope it turns out to be nothing though man

wibble
06-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Yeah, lets hope its just a bad strain or something. Definitely get that checked though,

Scott S
06-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Well, I went to the ER tonight to get it checked out, and since clotting doesn't show up much in my family history, the doc said that it was just a muscle strain, although I could come in during the day and have a Doppler test done. He recommended 1800 mg ibuprofen/day, and no running or leg work at all for 3-6 weeks! :(

What a roundabout way to become a bench/curl jockey, huh? I'm thinking that I'll substitute a hard abs day for my leg day for the time being.

Once my leg has healed, I'm definitely NOT jumping right into HIIT again, that's for sure!

GhettoSmurf
06-09-2003, 04:59 AM
is the strain just in one leg? you could always ask the doc if it would be alright to work the leg that is ok. just dont work it too hard and end up having one leg bigger then the other lol ;

clvmike19
06-09-2003, 07:24 AM
A pulmonary embolism would be a bad,bad thing! Good thing to hear it was just a muscle strain. Now you can squat!?!! How uber-gay is that? Good luck on the rest of the body. Can you do deads?

WOOHOO! That first year and half school payed off for something.

Scott S
06-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Can't squat, deadlift, or do isolation work. :(

However, my right leg was my stronger leg. I see nothing wrong with working my left. Perhaps I should do some leg curls with my left during my new 'ab' day. I may also try some of the machines that don't exercise the calf or hamstring muscles.

Scott S
06-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Diet:
3 slices of bread
600 mL skim milk
2 cans tuna
2 PB&Js
2 cups oatmeal
workout shake
0.5 cups cottage cheese

(Final)
Cals: 2800 Protein: 183g

Weighted Dips:
+35 x 6 (+5 lbs)
+35 x 3
Still haven't purchased my own dip belt yet... My nuts are really getting scared of these bigger and bigger dumbbells.

Low Incline DB Press:
40 x 6
40 x 5
More reps...

DB Flyes:
25 x 6 (+5 lbs)
25 x 6

Shoulder Press:
35 x 5 (+5 lbs)
35 x 2 Guess not...
30 x 3

Skullcrushers:
55 x 8
55 x 6
Didn't increase weight or total reps today, but they felt easier!

Flat DB Press:
45 x 8
50 x 6
For some reason, I just didn't manage to progress on this. I'm really puzzled how I can strengthen every muscle group involved in the flat bench, yet fail to improve that exercise. Next week, I WILL put up the 50s for two sets! Grrr!

Scott S
06-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Diet:
3 PB&Js
2 cup oatmeal
1 can tuna
1200 mL skim milk
slice of bread

Final totals: Cals: 2700 Protein: 133g

Rest days are so boring... I need more muscle groups.

Scott S
06-11-2003, 07:17 PM
Diet:
0.75 cup oatmeal
700mL 1% milk
PB&J
1 can tuna
1 cup oatmeal
480 mL 1%
slice of bread
workout shake

As I've commented before, I can't really separate these into meals because I will eat one or two of these items at a time, then wait an hour or two before eating something else. I "graze"...

Cals: 2070 Protein: 140g

Barbell Rows:
105 x 8
105 x 8
105 x 8
Didn't feel like I really did much, so I did an extra set. Balance was a problem at times, though.

Barbell Shrugs:
205 x 10
195 x 10
My shoulders are now officially too strong for my hands or arms. I nearly dropped the barbell both sets. If it weren't for my alternate grip, I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it. I can't decide whether to just drop this exercise for a while or what. My traps are already plenty big for the rest of me.

Dumbbell Concentration Curls:
30 x 8
30 x 6
Continuing my slide to the Dark Side, I chose to try these instead of my usual BB curls. I want to make sure that my arms are equally strong, you know.

Lat Pulldown:
125 x 8
<attempt at 150 -- miss>
<attempt at 137.5 -- miss>
125 x 5.5
Yeah, I'm still nowhere close to being able to do my bodyweight.

Hammer Curls:
30 x 6
30 x 5
Got more reps! Of course, I know that that is because I didn't have BB curls to go crazy on...

Thoughts:
* New rule: I'm not going to move up until I can do two sets of eight.
* Maybe I just *like* the idea of barbell rows, but I'm not really too aware of my lats when I do them. My upper body is somewhere between 45 degrees and horizontal, mostly because I'm trying to balance myself. Hmm... perhaps I should bend my knees more.

Questions? Comments? Revolutionary statements?

clvmike19
06-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Scott good job! The dont do the BB rows. Too awkward for me. So I do the One Hand DB Rows and I can really feel them working when I do them. May want to give it a shot.

Looking solid other than that! Why no BB Curls?

Oh get some chalk or straps if you cant hold the bar solid.

Scott S
06-11-2003, 11:39 PM
All good points, Mike.

As for the rows, I guess I just wanna be like Narc. I suppose doing DB rows would help me to get my left lats as big as the right!

I did the DB curls instead of BB curls today. I'm a little concerned (thanks to this forum) about overtraining, and I know that if I do *hard* DB curls or *hard* BB curls, the other will suffer a lot anyway.

As for chalk and straps, NO one here uses chalk, and they'd probably get mad if I did. Straps might be a good idea. Where's a good place to get them online? I'm also seriously thinking about investing in a dip belt, as you can tell from the journal.

clvmike19
06-12-2003, 08:25 AM
I didnt know chalk was evil. I never use it (except on my DL max this week). If you split your workouts good I wouldnt worry about overtraining. Im always afraid of undertraining so sometimes I do higher volume. Like on my arm day I do hammer curls, DB Curls, BB curls. Yeah its curl jockey but I feel like I need that much.

Im sure you could find some good straps online. Maybe just do a search or post a question in the training forum.

Scott S
06-12-2003, 02:14 PM
By 'here', I meant the Luther College gym. Do most gyms have chalk available? I remember when I was really little I was in gymnastics and they had big bowl-like things on pedestals with chalk in them...

I suppose I'm new enough that I may benefit from greater volume. I do feel a little unfulfilled after some workouts, and I often feel like I have another set in me when I've been doing other exercises.

aka23
06-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Do most gyms have chalk available?

I do not think that most gyms have chalk available. I have never seen chalk at commercial gyms such as 24 Hour Fitness, LA Fitness, Gold's Gym, and the YMCA. However, my college gym had a chalk bin.

Scott S
06-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Diet:
PB&J
600 mL 1% milk
1 cup oatmeal
turkey bagel sandwich
snickers candy bar
PB&J
480 mL 1%
protein shake

(Incomplete) Calories: 2455 Protein: 119g

Decline Sit-ups:
10lb weight behind head x 6
no weight x 12

Leg Adductors:
125 x 10
175 x 10
200 x 10
Okay, quit laughing.

Leg Abductors:
87.5 x 6
100 x 8
125 x 8
C'mon, I can hear you out there!

Left Leg Curls:
28 x 8
28 x 6.5
Since my left (uninjured) leg is weaker than the right, I see this as an opportunity to bring them into balance...

Oblique Raise thingys:
15 x 10
15 x 10

Impromptu DB Rows:
35 x 10
35 x 10
I felt like I hadn't done enough yet. I'd forgotten how fun these were, too. Perhaps I'll concentrate on these to build my lats symmetrically instead of BB rows for the time being.

Thoughts:
Not being able to do my regular leg workout really sucks. I did as much as I could, though. I don't usually do any ab work, so that was interesting. As far as the adductors/abductors, I probably could have been doing the whole stack of weights, but I wasn't really up for giving myself a hernia today.

aka23: Maybe when I am a lot bigger and look like I know what I'm doing, I'll try bringing my own chalk in and getting everything all dusty. At the moment, I'm a runt. :(

Scott S
06-15-2003, 07:25 PM
This weekend, I decided to drive up to the Twin Cities to visit my girlfriend. We both needed a recharge; her from her job, me from my class. It was great.

Anyway, my diet was as unhealthy as possible, but I did my best to keep the cals up. Obviously, I didn't work out either, except... nah, this is a family journal. ;)

So, no change, body-wise. I'll work out tomorrow and give a report. Later.

Scott S
06-16-2003, 07:12 PM
Diet:
0.5 cup oatmeal
720 mL skim milk
3 fish oil caps
2 slices of bread
heath bar cookie
1 can salmon
240 mL skim
PWO shake

Flat DB Press:
55 x 4 (+5 lbs)
50 x 7
50 x 5

DB Flyes:
25 x 8 (+2 reps)
25 x 6

BB Shrugs:
205 x 10
205 x 10

Weighted Dips:
+35 x 5
+35 x 2
+35 x 4

Shoulder Press:
35 x 4
35 x 3
35 x 2

Skullcrushers:
60 x 6 (+5 lbs)
60 x 6

Low Incline DB Press:
40 x 5
40 x 1 grr...
35 x 4

I am full of hate today.

Scott S
06-17-2003, 04:23 PM
Diet:
2 PB&Js
600 mL skim
1 cup oatmeal
1 can tuna

More to come.

Scott S
06-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Diet (to 7pm):
PB&J
900 mL skim
1 cup oatmeal
480 mL skim
ham bagel sandwich
PWO shake
slice bread

DB Rows:
40 x 10 (+5 lbs)
40 x 10

Lat Pulldown:
125 x 6
125 x 6
125 x 8 came back at the end for another set.

DB Concentration Curls:
30 x 5
30 x 4
30 x 4
lost some reps, so I did another small set.

BB Shrugs:
205 x 10
205 x 10

Hammer Curls:
30 x 6
30 x 3
30 x 1 stick a fork in me...

WHY THE HELL DO MY BICEPS REFUSE TO GET STRONGER???!?

* tries to punch hole in wall

* fails; too weak

Scott S
06-20-2003, 04:55 PM
Hey all. Against all rational advice, I did a leg workout today (6/20). I kept it light on almost everything.

Diet so far:
1 cup oatmeal w/ whey
PB&J
800 mL skim
PWO shake
PB&J
1 cup oatmeal
1 can tuna

Workout:
My goal was to up the weights on each exercise as long as no pain occurred.

Light Squats:
warmup with bar x 3
65 x 3
85 x 8
95 x 8
I am taking this opportunity to make sure I'm doing all my leg stuff with good form. Squats went well -- I did them kind of slowly to make sure I was going all the way to parallel. I also took off my shoes and visualized my quads pushing me back up.

Light Stiff-Leg Deads:
95 x 8
105 x 7

Light Good Mornings:
65 x 6
65 x 8
Ahh, good mornings. I'm going to post on this in Training as well, but I am still having a very tough time bending over the full 90 degrees. No matter how much I stretch, I cannot keep my back AND my legs straight if I want to go "all the way." I even tried them with an empty bar to make sure my back wasn't chickening out from the weight -- nope, I just can't bend regardless. :cry: :help:

Calf Raise Machine -- New exercise!!
25lb/side x 8
35lb/side x 10
45lb/side x 10
70lb/side x 8
Oh my god, I love these. I forsee only good things for this exercise. :cool:

Thoughts:
It felt really good to get back to doing leg stuff. Even if I'm a couple weeks early, I took great care not to overdo anything, and from the relative lack of discomfort, I think I'm back on track! :hump:

Also, thanks to everyone who still reads my journal -- I promise not to suck anymore, as soon as possible! :angel:

Scott S
06-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Hey all, went to the Cities again to visit my girlfriend. The fun part is how my diet all goes to hell when I'm not by myself!

Saturday:
PB&J
liter of 1% milk on the drive up
drank some more milk at gf's house
went to Applebee's for dinner -- got the orange chicken skillet and a chocolate milk shake... mmm, calories... :drooling:

Sunday morning:
whole large bag of Combo's (900+ calories baybee!!)
bagel sandwich (right now)

Scott S
06-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Diet:
pb&j
1/2 cup oats
pb&j
1/2 can salmon
1 piece bread
1/4 jug of milk
1 cup oatmeal
1 roll of sweettarts (post-workout)
pb&j
1/2 can salmon

calories: 2900 protein: 155g

Flat DB Press:
55 x 3
50 x 6
50 x 7

Hammer Strength Shrug Machine:
180 x 10
200 x 10
210 x 10 (+10 lbs)

Weighted Dips:
+30 x 8
+35 x 7
+25 x 5

DB Flyes:
30 x 7 (+5 lbs)
30 x 5

Skullcrushers:
65 x 7 (+5 lbs)
65 x 5

Shoulder Press:
35 x 5
35 x 3
30 x 5

Lateral Raises:
15 x 7
15 x 5
I needed something to do while I rested between sets of other things.

Low Incline DB Press:
40 x 5
40 x 3

Grumblings:
** It continues to baffle me that I cannot progress on the "press" exercises, yet I can progress on just about everything else. :bang:

** I feel so alone in here. Give me feedback, dammit!! tuttut
please? :angel:

Scott S
06-24-2003, 06:02 PM
Diet:
pb&j
1 cup oats
1 can tuna
1/4 jug of 1% milk
1/2 cup oats
pb&j
1/4 jug / 1%
1 cup oats
1/4 jug / 1%

final calories: 3000 protein: 158g

Thoughts:
I decided yesterday that for this week, I'm going to shoot for 150*20 = 3000 calories per day (instead of 2700), in hopes that it may help my lifts. When I get home this weekend, I'll finally have an accurate measure of my weight, which I hope will be around 155 lbs.

Bulking is fun, but I'm starting to wish this new gut and love handles would go away.

aka23
06-24-2003, 09:04 PM
Grumblings:
** It continues to baffle me that I cannot progress on the "press" exercises, yet I can progress on just about everything else. :bang:

** I feel so alone in here. Give me feedback, dammit!![/B]

I also progress slowly on certain press exercises (mainly bench press). One option is to try changing your routine. For example you could try substituting bench press for db press, occasionally using HS machines, trying a different number of reps/sets, take more/less time off, changing your split, etc. Good luck.

Scott S
06-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks, aka. I've completely switched to DB Press instead of BB Flat Press for the time being. When I did BB Press, I plateau'd completely at 135 for some reason and could not move up for at least a month. I'm hoping that by working my stabilizers more and by doing heavy dips, I'll get my bench numbers up.

The Dream
06-25-2003, 04:29 PM
On the GMs you are allowed to have a slight bend in the knees, just like stiff-leg deads. Stick the ass out as far as you can and keep the back tight. Just be sure to stop on the descent before you lose your arch.

Scott S
06-25-2003, 08:31 PM
Diet?:
pb&j
16oz / 1% milk
11 Sun Chips
Krispy Kreme donut
11 more Sun Chips
another Krispy Kreme Donut
1 can tuna
22 more Sun Chips
16 oz / milk
0.75 cup oats
24 oz / milk (post-workout)
pb&j
0.5 cup oats
16 oz / milk

Final Calories: 3360 Protein: 141g

... definitely making good on my promise to increase my calories! A friend of mine was on his way to throw out a bag of Sun Chips and two remaining Krispy Kremes when he offered them to me. They weren't stale, he just didn't want any more! Luckily for him, I *never* turn down free food! :D

Workout:

Lat Pulldown:
137.5 x 6 (+12.5 lbs)
137.5 x 6
125 x 6

DB Concentration Curls:
30 x 6
30 x 8
Finally, I reached my target reps for this weight. I'm so happy! I will finally be able to increase my weight on this next week!

<....... took a break to check e-mail ......>

DB Rows:
45 x 8 (+5 lbs)
40 x 8
40 x 6
That last set was just to be sure.

Hammer Curls:
30 x 6
30 x 6
25 x 6
Finally reached my target reps on this weight as well!!

Thoughts:
This was the workout I've been waiting on for a long time. I got more reps on every exercise I didn't increase the weight on. Whether it's due to eating a lot more or divine intervention, I don't know. I'm just happy. :)

I don't think I've been resting enough between sets/exercises. My e-mail break today was as much to rest my muscles as it was to do anything else, and I think it worked really well.

I need to figure out a way to hold on to regular dumbbells and those light 3lbs ones at the same time. I *hate* trying to progress 5 lbs at a time. What I really need are those magnetic stick-on weights! :idea:

Scott S
06-26-2003, 01:38 PM
Diet:
pb&j
16 oz / milk
2 cookies
1 can tuna
8 oz milk

I think I may have figured out a way to hold those dumbbells: palm the 3lber with the end sticking out between my middle and ring fingers, then grab the larger dumbbell as usual. I'll have to wait a couple days to try it out.

I think that doing this will help me to progress faster and more smoothly.

Scott S
06-26-2003, 05:52 PM
You know, what's really sad is that my family doesn't have cable. That means that when I move back home tomorrow, I'm going to miss "I'm With Busey" for two whole months.

Scott S
06-28-2003, 01:22 PM
[This all pertains to yesterday...]

Diet:
pb&j
8 oz milk
0.75 cup oats
1 can tuna
roll of sweettarts
46 oz milk
banana
pb&j
2 big slices of sausage pizza
2 small bottles of gatorade
pb&j

Final Cals: ~3300 Protein: ~150g

Squats:
95 x 6
95 x 8
105 x 6
105 x 6

Stiff-Leg Deads:
105 x 6
115 x 6
125 x 6

Good Mornings:
65 x 6
75 x 6
85 x 6

Calf Raise Machine:
80lb/side x 8
85lb/side x 8
90lb/side x 10
100lb/side x 10

Comments:
It is worth noting that what looks like amazing progress is actually my legs getting used to their former capacity again. I feel a lot better about my squats, and bending my legs during the GMs helped immensely with my ROM. Maybe I just have short hamstrings and there's nothing I can do about it.

Scott S
06-28-2003, 01:30 PM
Weight: 146.5 lbs this morning. :eek:

I have no idea what's going on here. I have gained strength in the past month, some visible muscle mass, and some pudge, but apparently I weigh a pound less than on 5/29!

Either I've been losing visceral fat, or my beloved digital scale is not as accurate as I thought. Is that possible? It was not cheap, and it initializes itself everytime you step on it.

My goal has been to eat about 2700 calories per day, as that is my BW*18. I'm going to keep eating at 3000+ for the next week, and I'll weigh myself every day to see how it changes.

aka23
06-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Weight: 146.5 lbs this morning. :eek:

I have no idea what's going on here. I have gained strength in the past month, some visible muscle mass, and some pudge, but apparently I weigh a pound less than on 5/29!

Either I've been losing visceral fat, or my beloved digital scale is not as accurate as I thought. Is that possible? It was not cheap, and it initializes itself everytime you step on it.

My goal has been to eat about 2700 calories per day, as that is my BW*18. I'm going to keep eating at 3000+ for the next week, and I'll weigh myself every day to see how it changes.

Water and glycogen can cause minor fluctuations in weight. It is not unusual for this type of fluctuation to cause weight to change by a few pounds from day to day. This change may become more significant with diets that cause water retention or water loss. You can minimize this type of change by weighing yourself at the same time (preferably first thing in the morning) on the same scale. I think that weighing yourself on a more frequent basis is a good idea, so one unusual fluctuation will be less noticeable.

Scott S
06-28-2003, 09:34 PM
That must be it. When I look in the mirror, I am visibly larger: traps, lats, tris... gut...

Thanks.

Scott S
06-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Diet update: I'm eating way too fast lately to even consider totaling everything. As long as my scale weight doesn't go down any more, I'm not going to worry.

Scott S
06-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Weight update: 147.5 lbs. I feel a little better, but that means I haven't been eating nearly enough if I've only maintained my weight for a month. 3000+ calories per day it is!

Scott S
06-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Diet:
3 cups Oatmeal Crisp cereal
16 oz 1% milk

32 oz milk

16 oz milk
2 cups cereal

ham sandwich
peach

cheeseburger
20 oz root beer

16 oz milk
Red Bull

Final cals: 3200 Protein: 145 g

The Dream
06-30-2003, 03:38 PM
and bending my legs during the GMs helped immensely with my ROM. Maybe I just have short hamstrings and there's nothing I can do about it. [/B]

It's not short hamstrings, just a lack of flexibility. I know, because I have none. I stretch like crazy on leg day. Between every set and for at least 10 minutes after I'm done.

Stttrrrreeetttttttccccchhhhh!!!!

Scott S
07-01-2003, 09:58 AM
Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Perhaps one of my new goals should be to see how straight I can keep my legs during GM's without rounding my back. I'll stretch longer and see if that helps. Thanks.

Scott S
07-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Diet (7/1):
2 cups Quaker Squares cereal w/ milk
peach
ham sandwich
0.5 cup oats
cup / CC
pb&j
20 oz skim
1.5 "loaves" meatloaf
baked potato w/ butter
12 oz skim milk (post-workout)

Final Cals: plenty Protein: enough

Flat DB Press:
55 x 7
50 x 6
Woo-hoo! Finally got a full set of 55's!

Weighted Dips:
+35 x 6
+35 x 5
Two sets of +35!

DB Flyes:
30 x 7
30 x 7
25 x 7
Two full sets of the 30's and had decent ROM too.

Upright Raises: (New!)
35 x 7
55 x 7
If I'm going to do shoulders properly, I'll have to start working all parts of the shoulder. I'll do rear delts on back/bicep day.

Skullcrushers:
65 x 6
75 x 6 (+10 lbs!)

Shoulder Press:
35 x 6
35 x 5
Two full sets of 35's here too!

Low Incline DB Press:
40 x 6
40 x 5
Another two full sets!

Thoughts:
I must have eaten enough today, because all the weights were going up much easier. I couldn't believe it.

Scott S
07-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Weight update: 148 lbs

Perhaps if I weigh myself often enough, I can average them and figure out what my "true" weight is likely to be.

It'll be fun to work out three days in a row this week... that's right, I didn't get my membership to this gym until yesterday (Tues) and the gym will be closed on Friday. I'll be working all day on Saturday, soo... I will have worked out Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday this week. Shouldn't be too bad.

Scott S
07-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Diet:
I think I'm going to stop including this since I'm home for now. I eat one or two large meals with the family, and plenty on my own, so I'm getting lots of calories and protein.

Lat Pulldowns:
"7" x 6
"8" x 6
"9" x 6
"10" x 4
Back to the stupidly-numbered lat pulldown machine. I was complaining about this to my mom, and she commented, "Well, why don't you ask someone who works there what each thing weighs?" Sometimes, the easiest answer eludes us.

Barbell Curls:
75 x 2 err...
65 x 6
55 x 6
It occured to me that I haven't been doing any direct bicep work in the last couple weeks! The preacher curls and concentration curls were targeting my brachialis and not my biceps.

Barbell Shrugs:
205 x 10
205 x 10
My lower back hurt a little after these, and I noticed in the mirror that my ROM isn't very good anymore. I'm going to drop the weight a little next week, and make sure my back is straighter.

Dumbbell Rows:
45 x 6
45 x 6
Got two sets of 45! Next week I'll go 2x8 before moving up.

Dumbbell Concentration Curls:
35 x 4 (+5 lbs!)
30 x 4
25 x 8
I always fry myself when I move up on these. That's okay, though.

Barbell Wrist Curls: New Exercise!
45lb bar x 6
bar x 7
bar x 7
I realized that I could stand to do some direct forearm work.

Barbell Reverse Wrist Curls: New Exercise!
ez-bar (15lb) x 7
25 x 7
25 x 7
ditto.

Thoughts:
Even though it would have been smart to start lighter on the forearm stuff, I got a great pump. If I'm trying to grow, I might as well hit all the muscles I can. My right forearm is a little sore, however. I should probably skip the wrist curls next week to make sure I don't develop tendonitis or something!

I forgot an exercise for my rear delts though. Oops. They'll manage.

Coke
07-03-2003, 07:11 AM
...lol, those type of machines do make it very difficult to know exactly what you are lifting, but as long as you make them increases you are on straight ;)

Looks like its going to be more serious now with the new membership at the gym - Good luck!

Scott S
07-03-2003, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping to do a full set of "10" next week. :rolleyes:

Oh, and here's the story on my gym membership. I've worked out three times a week (at school) since late April. I took a summer class a week after graduation. Now that I'm home, I've joined the gym here. So don't worry about seriousness, it's been there the whole time! :strong:

Scott S
07-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Squats:
115 x 4
85 x 14
65 x 6
I realized halfway through my set of 115s that I was going to switch to doing single 20-rep sets of squats. Not with that weight! I dropped it to 85, and got most of the way there. If I'd taken more time to rest, I *probably* could have gotten 20.

Stiff-Leg Deads:
125 x 6
135 x 6 (+10 lbs)
135 x 6
Interestingly, my form improved as I added more weight.

Good Mornings:
85 x 6
95 x 6
I'm really not sure about these. I have to bend my legs more to balance myself every time I add weight, so I never know when to add it. It was a struggle to keep my back straight with the 95's, so I'm going to do two sets of 85 next week.

Calf Raise Machine:
100 lb/side x 10
110 lb/side x 10
Yay, the only leg-day exercise I still like! :rolleyes:

Thoughts:
Bah. I know it's good to work my legs, but I really hate doing it. I'm always concerned I'm going to hurt my knees on squats and my back doing everything else.

I think I'm going to freeze my weight on everything except for calf raise, and wait until my form is solid before moving up. Perhaps my problem is that I'm still increasing the weights too fast.

Scott S
07-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Weight: 149ish.

Diet for weekend: 3000+ cals, 150g+ protein.

Workout tomorrow.

Scott S
07-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Diet: counted 2700 cals and 150g protein *before* huge family dinner involving LOTS of roast beef and potatoes. :eek:

Flat DB Press:
55 x 6
55 x 8
Got two full sets of 55 lbs, finally! On to 60's...

Weighted Dips:
+35 x 6
+35 x 5
Yeah, I know... same weight and reps. But I WEIGH more.

DB Flyes:
30 x 6
30 x 5
These hurt my shoulders today. So much that I want to find other exercises that target the pecs.

Skullcrushers:
75 x 5
75 x 2 ergg, time for less weight...
65 x 6
[i]I'm starting to like these more and more. What sucks is that it's getting harder to get into position. I nearly dropped the bar on my face before the second set.

Upright Raises:
55 x 6
55 x 6

DB Shoulder Press:
35 x 8
35 x 6
Kicked ass on these today! For weeks I've struggled with sub-sets of 35's.

Low Incline DB Press:
40 x 4
40 x 4
Well, you can't win them all. I didn't wait long enough after the shoulder presses to start these, and I severely burned myself out. Resting for a couple minutes didn't help the second set at all.

Pec Deck Machine:
90 x 6
90 x 5
I wasn't happy with my pec work so I figured, why not? I left it on the weight the guy before me was using, and really squeezed out the last couple reps. Then I was a little happier.

Thoughts:
I need to find good pec exercises that don't tax my shoulders or the rest of my arms so much. Something I could push with my elbows, preferably...

I really wore myself out today. I had some frustrations, but I made up for it on other exercises. I was almost too tired to masturbate afterwards, even.

Almost.

Scott S
07-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Weight yesterday morning and today: 149

3000 seems to be my lucky number. If I weigh no less than 150 next week, I'll know I'm on the right track.

Scott S
07-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Barbell Curls:
65 x 6
65 x 7
55 x 7
My biceps are responding well to these. The set of 55s came toward the end of my workout, when my biceps weren't feeling "fried" enough. ;)

Lat Pulldowns:
"10" x 6
"10" x 5
"9" x 8
Got the 10s! I did those and then came back at the end of my workout and did a set of "9"s to failure. God, it felt great! I almost puked! :clap:

Front Lat Raises: (New exercise!)
10 x 10
12 x 6
I'm doing these because I've had a tendency in the past to injure and re-injure my rotator cuffs.

DB Concentration Curls:
35 x 3
30 x 6
These were a disappointment. I have no explanation. Next week, I will do sets of 30s, and continue to do so until I can do two sets of eight.

DB Rows:
45 x 8
45 x 8
I squeezed out the last couple reps on each side in the last set and I didn't care what kind of faces I was making!

DB Reverse Wrist Curls:
12 x 6
12 x 6
Pretty much the only reason I do these is because my wrist flexors are getting HUGE without much encouragement, so I'm trying to balance things out.

Calf Raise Machine Shrugs:
180 x 10
180 x 7
I wasn't sure if these would work or not. I went slowly and made sure I was using full ROM, going to failure on the last set! Beats holding on to heavy stuff by a long shot.

Thoughts:
Great workout overall! Apart from a little bit of pain in my wrist flexors, I'm feeling very fulfilled today. My lat strength is going up and I hit everything else really hard. When I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night, I worried my workout would suffer -- Nope!! :strong:

Does anyone know how much muscle one can gain in a lifetime, maximum? (Or, let's say 10 years.) Lyle MacDonald gives the impression that that number is around 40 lbs for a natural lifter. That sounds kind of disappointing to me, for some reason. After the first four years, one cannot seem to add much.

Scott S
07-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Weight: 149.5 lbs :D

Squats:
85 x 12
85 x 8
Today, I decided not to worry about the weight at all. I focused hard on balancing my weight between the balls and soles of my feet, keeping my back straight, and my eyes up, and I pushed the weight away from the floor a lot more confidently than ever. I got to parallel every time! I could tell because I "tinked" the bar on the pins nearly every time. Note to self: dye hair a darker shade so my face doesn't look so goddamn red during squats.

Standing Calf Raise Machine:
110 lbs/side x 10 (+10 lbs/side)
110 lbs/side x 10
These felt great. Did them very slowly, too.

Reverse Calf Raises: (New exercise!)
45 lbs/side x 10
45 lbs/side x 10
My tibialises were feeling neglected. :angel:

Stiff-Leg Deads:
135 x 8 (+2 reps)
135 x 8
As it's part of my new policy to get two sets of eight reps before adding weight, I resisted the urge to up the weight on these. My back started to hurt a little during the second set, indicating the need to PAY MORE ATTENTION TO MY BACK STRAIGHTNESS!!!~

Ahem.

Seated Calf Raise: (New exercise!)
90 x 10
90 x 10
These target the soleus, while the standing calf raise targets the gastrocnemius. So why not?? ;)

Ah, what the hell:

Impromptu DB Press:
60 x 4 (+5 lbs!!!)
I've been struggling with the 55's for weeks and weeks, and yesterday I realized that I *must* have a couple reps of 60's in me. And by God I did!

I feel so manly. :strong:

Scott S
07-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Weight: 150.0 lbs. :eek:

Could it be water and glycogen from the large chocolate shake I had last night? :cool:

I think that I should maybe stay closer to 3000 calories/day even, and not let myself so too far over.

Behemoth
07-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey Scott, from the beginning of your journal until now you've really bumped up a lot of numbers, progression is looking good man.

Chest and tri's seem to be a strength for you, those skulls are pretty impressive, and your DB presses just keep improving. Along with your bodyweight too.

What do you estimate your bodyfat to be? You sound a WHOLE LOT like me starting out last year. I was about 140-145lbs, 5'8", 11% with similiar lifts.

Oh yeah.... :spam:

aka23
07-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Weight: 150.0 lbs. :eek:

Could it be water and glycogen from the large chocolate shake I had last night? :cool:

The chocolate shake could be responsible for the 0.5lb gain, especially if it was high sodium and contained a lot of liquid. There are many other explanations such as drinking extra water or using the restroom. I do not consider a 1 day 0.5lb gain significant. These types of fluctuations are common. My weight sometimes changes by more than 1lb during a 1 hour workout. I would be more concerned about trends over time.

That is the first time I have seen reverse calf raises in a training log. I may incorporate them into my workout since my tibialis muscles sometimes limit me with sprints.

Scott S
07-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Be-He: I should really dig out my calipers and check again. When I began, I was 140 lbs or so and probably no less than 10-12% bodyfat. I have NEVER seen my abs before, and am looking forward to it on my next cut. Right now I'd say I'm closer to 15%, but I'm not good with estimates.

aka: Yeah, I'm not worried about it at all. I'm positive it's just sodium/glycogen/water.

Now that I'm pretty well familiar with the basic compound movements, I'm trying to include every little muscle group I can so as to maximize my test/GH production. Will it be signifcantly higher? Nah, but I like feeling that I've included everything. :D

Scott S
07-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Training Sister Side-Workout!

I went into the gym today to help my sister get a little stronger for detasseling. Here's what I did while I was there:

Hammer Curls:
30 x 8 (+2 reps!)
30 x 8 (+4 reps!)
Ah, what a difference it makes to forget to do an exercise and then do it by itself, when the muscle is relatively fresh. Makes me wonder if I should chop up ALL my workouts and scatter them all over the place!

Lever Assisted Pullups:
-"8" x 8
-"7" x 8
I'm thinking that perhaps I should switch my lat pulldowns to assisted pullups, since my eventual goal is to do weighted pullups. Once again, I have no idea what the markings on the weight stack mean, but I did "one" better on the second set! :D

Purple Ab Machine:
"7" x 8
I HAD to. It's gray and purple! It's one of those machines where you sit down hook in your shins, hold onto some handles above your head, and do what looks a lot like a full-body curl. It was interesting.

Behemoth
07-12-2003, 09:14 PM
I've never seen my abs completely clearly either. Close at 11%, man do you sound like me a little over a year ago. Keep at it and soon you'll be a "behemoth" like me... heh... actually that would only make one of us :hide:

Scott S
07-13-2003, 12:51 AM
I'm a lo-o-o-ong ways away from behemothness (behemosity?), but I do like how my traps and lats are really coming in now. I look tougher, even if I am still a pushover socially. :rolleyes:

The closest I've ever been to seeing my abs was at the end of my first cut. I was down to 128 lbs, and in the right light, I could kinda see where they were...

pruneman
07-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Hey scott. Been reading your journal for a little while, but i don't know if i've ever posted in it. I'm currently bulking right now as well and i'm similar in weight to you (140).
Nice journal bro...keep up the hard work

Scott S
07-13-2003, 06:07 PM
Coolness. Thanks for stopping by. I'm hoping that I'll injure myself LESS in the future, making my journal even more impressive. LOL

Scott S
07-14-2003, 06:27 PM
today's ridiculous two-in-one upper-body workout!!!

That's right. My girlfriend is driving all the way from Minneapolis to Cedar Rapids to visit me for a couple days. :) The day after that, my family is leaving on a vacation. Sooo, that leaves almost NO time for working out in the next week.

Today I combined the essentials from my chest/shoulders/triceps workout with my back/biceps workout, and STILL got it done in less than an hour. Go me!! (You'll notice that I jumped back and forth between muscle groups to try to give each extra time to recover.)

Flat DB Press:
60 x 5 (+1 rep)
60 x 6 (another whole set!!)
Speaking of "go me"... I had NO idea I'd be able to do this!! I nearly didn't even get the dumbbells up the first time, but once I did, it was amazingly smooth sailing. Perhaps I will do two sets of 8 next week. Or I'll finally check what I can now do on Flat BB Bench.

Assisted Pullups:
-"7" x 8
-"7" x 8
I have switched to these from Lat Pulldowns for the time being. I'm only "7' away from being able to do bodyweight pullups!!

Skullcrushers:
75 x 7 (+2 reps)
65 x 8
Realizing that I had MUCH more to do, I didn't get too crazy with these.

Calf Machine Shrugs:
180 x 10
180 x 10 (+3 reps)

Shoulder Press:
35 x 8
35 x 7 (+1 rep)
I'm starting to look too smooth on these. Time to up the weight!

BB Curls:
65 x 6
65 x 4 (-3 reps :()
I worked hard on the pullups mentioned earlier, and from then on, my biceps were pretty tired. Next week, I'm going to move the pullups later in my workout, I think.

Low Incline DB Press:
35 x 8
35 x 8
Since I had trouble with the 40's last week, I decided to drop the weight and work my way back up. So then I get two sets of eight! :confused:

DB Rows:
50 x 6 (+5 lbs)
50 x 6
I'm not sure if I really "earned" the last couple reps in each set, but my biceps were pretty tired, and I got close!

DB Concentration Curls:
30 x 6 (-5 lbs)
25 x 6
Here is where my bicep fatigue REALLY hit me. I saw it coming, so I didn't even bother picking up 35 lb dumbbells.

Pec Dec Machine:
90 x 8 (+2 reps)
90 x 10 (+5 reps)
Short of tearing something, I NEVER feel like I've gotten a good enough pec workout!

Upright Raises:
55 x 8 (+2 reps)
55 x 8 (+2 reps)
My biceps were protesting A LOT at this point. But did I listen? Nah!!

Front Lat Raises:
12 x 8
12 x 8
Yawn.

And then I ate two rolls of SweetTarts and drove home.

Thoughts:
The gym was really busy today. I spotted the nearly FULL parking lot, and thought "Oh ****!" But luckily, there were enough cardio machines for all those people. :evillaugh

There was a guy there doing bench presses with 90 lb dumbbells AND good form. I was in awe. (There were also LOTS of guys doing fairly swing-y curls and 1/4 squats, but that's to be expected in pretty much ANY gym.)

A rather nice-looking girl kept glancing at me while I did my workout. Maybe she was impressed by my form, or looks or something. Or maybe she wasn't impressed by the (much bigger) guys swarmed around her. In any case, it was nice. In fact, there were several good-looking girls there. But that's fine. I've got one of my own. :D

Well, I'm starving again. Catch ya next time!

Scott S
07-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Short update:

Weight has been between 149.5-151.5.

Didn't get to workout today, but there's a fitness center in one of the hotels we're staying in this weekend. We'll see if they have a squat rack. :rolleyes:

Nothing else to report. Normal workouts will continue on Monday or Tuesday.

Scott S
07-21-2003, 09:37 PM
I'm back!!

Over the weekend, I went to Dayton Ohio to see the 100th Anniversary of Powered Flight airshow. It was, of course, the best airshow EVER. Vintage planes dating back to 1911 were flew. And yesterday, a Guinness World Record was set for the longest wall of fire (3200 ft)! I highly recommend the museum in Dayton to any fans of airplanes.

Anyways...

Workout for June 21:

Flat DB Press:
60 x 6 (+1 rep)
60 x 6
I was going to do more reps than this, but I must have forgotten.

DB Front Raises:
15 x 8 (+3 lbs)
15 x 8
While I'm making progress on these, I'm not worried about specific poundages. I'm really just concerned about getting my rotator cuffs strong enough to resist injury.

Skullcrushers:
75 x 6
75 x 4 (another set at 75!)

DB Shoulder Press:
40 x 5 (+5 lbs!)
35 x 8
I'm loving these more and more. I think that going somewhat lightly on the flat DB press helped me with the other presses.

BB Upright Row:
60 x 6 (+5 lbs)
60 x 6
I haven't been doing these for very long, but I can tell that my shoulders are getting bigger. Fun stuff. I've also been mislabeling this exercise as "Upright Raises."

Low Incline DB Press:
40 x 5
35 x 8
After being disappointed by these last week, I did better this week. When it's time to do these, I wonder how essential they are. After all, I hit my pectoralis major (clavicular head), anterior delts, and triceps with the flat bench and shoulder press. Plus, my performance on these always suffers from exerting myself on the previous lifts.

Pec Machine:
100 x 8 (+10 lbs!)
100 x 8
I really like these because my ROM is more consistent, and I am able to completely exhaust my chest muscles.

Unweighted Dips to Failure:
That's it. I decided to do some dips because I haven't for a while, and wanted to really toast myself. Good thing I didn't strap on any weight!

Well, that felt good. I never did get my leg workout in last week, but I will this week!

MrWebb78
07-23-2003, 06:04 PM
ok i gave your journal a chance after your remark to me.....and all i can say is....

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....but keep it up, keep on wantingtobebig

Scott S
07-23-2003, 06:44 PM
Umm... thanks. I will be big. That is all.

Scott S
07-23-2003, 07:19 PM
Woo-hoo! I finally got "...Last Page" on my journal!!!

Scott S
07-23-2003, 07:31 PM
DB Rows:
50 x 8 (+2 reps)
50 x 8 (+2 reps)
Time to increase the weight.

BB Curls:
65 x 6
65 x 6 (+2 reps)
Yawn.

Calf Machine Shrugs:
190 x 10 (+10 lbs)
190 x 10
I feel that I really get a better workout with these than other forms of shrugs, as it doesn't depend on my grip strength.

Assisted Pullups:
-"6" x 6
-"6" x 6
-"6" x 5
Wow, my strength has been exploding on these. I've been decreasing the assistance by "1" every time, but I could have easily done two sets of 8 on "6". I think next week I'll do as large of sets on "5" as possible. My biceps got fried during these, BTW.

DB Concentration Curls:
30 x 6
25 x 8
Hmm, I always do such a good job exhausting my biceps before getting to these, it's hard to progress. Next week, I'll take a much longer break before attempting these.

DB Curls: (New exercise!)
25 x 10
25 x 6
I wasn't really in the mood to do my hammer curls (I like saving them for leg day anyway :confused: ), so I tried DB curls instead. They were so much more comfortable than doing BB curls, I think I'm just going to switch completely. In all honesty, I think I'm mutating out of being able to do barbell exercises in favor of dumbbell exercises!

Even though I don't really chase after the vaunted "pump",. I got a painfully intense one today in my biceps.

Good?

Scott S
07-24-2003, 07:13 PM
Weight: 153 lbs.

No workout today; I worked a 12-hour shift on a new temp job. :eek: It's going to be 3 days a week, and the pay is better than decent.

Fortunately, I ate enough and it didn't involve heavy lifting. :D Hopefully, I won't be too dead for tomorrow's leg workout. Since I wasn't able to get a leg workout in last week, I'll be doing lots of stretching and warming up.

Also, I'm noticing that I am visibly wider these days than I was in April. My shoulders are bigger, and my lats are pushing my arms out a little. (I *try* to keep 'em down though, I'm one of those "cute 150-lb guys!" :D ) I checked in the mirror, and my back is a LOT bigger looking! I'm thinking about taking some pics once I have the time.

captain piddles
07-24-2003, 07:31 PM
superman rocks

Coke
07-25-2003, 06:11 AM
Big deal man, I'm wider too and what not :p

No, seriously good to hear about it and hope you continue :)

Scott S
07-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Cool pic! I guess I never have explained the title of my journal before. Basically, I tend to be a pretty quiet, awkward skinny person who is nice but doesn't exactly strike fear into the hearts of evildoers. So, this journal is the document of my metamorphorsis into a big, strong, confident, umm... yeah. So are you with me?

I said, are you with me??!?

ermmm, good.

captain piddles
07-25-2003, 10:49 PM
you'll have to check mine out,
its "construction of a superhero"

I started at 230-240lbs at around 40-45% body fat

my current stats are 185 lbs at 18-20%

my goal is 200-220 at 6-8%

I want to be a superhero

captain piddles
07-25-2003, 10:51 PM
are you with me??!?

you bet!

captains onboard

Scott S
07-26-2003, 07:25 PM
40-45%? Down to 20%? Nice work my friend. :thumbup: Miracles happen on this board, I swear.

I've read your journal before, but never posted in it. How bout I change that? ;)

clvmike19
07-26-2003, 07:34 PM
Youre up 13lbs man! Hella nice work! Way to rep for teh skinny folk out here! Youll hit 160 in no time!

Scott S
07-26-2003, 11:42 PM
I hope so. I just feel like I'm getting fat if I rest too many days in a row. At my rate, I should hit 160 by the end of September, if not sooner. After my experiment with Atkins back in March, I weighed 130ish. Once I resumed normal eating (with lifting), I quickly gained back to 140, mostly from water and glycogen, I imagine. 140 is what my body has liked to be since junior year of high school.

Anyway, I figure that by the time I hit 160 I should have gained at least 8-10 lbs of muscle. Even more encouraging is that I have even more beginner's gains to make! :cool:

I hope that the rest of the WBBSAsses aren't too disappointed that I am soon going to start adding some cardio in an attempt to bulk cleaner. When I get to 160, I'm probably going to do two months of very slow cutting to get my bodyfat down a little. My pants are already starting to fit a little tighter, and I do NOT want to buy new clothes for bulking purposes! tuttut

You know, it's really REALLY hard to explain the concept of 'bulking' to anyone! Everyone who sees me eat asks me, "Are you trying to get fat?" "If I ate that much, I'd look like a blimp!!" "Why are you gaining weight?" "And then you're going to diet again??!"

At least my mom notices that I'm looking more muscular...

Scott S
07-27-2003, 02:46 PM
Squats:
warmup w/ bar x 8
85 x 6
95 x 6 (+10 lbs)
95 x 6
I was especially happy with the way these went today. I never felt like I was going to fall over, and I had a satisfying soreness in my quads when done. Look for these to improve a lot in the coming weeks.

Calf Raise Machine:
230 x 10 (+10 lbs)
230 x 12
Note that I have started to list the total weight instead of the weight on each side, which isn't very useful, at least to me.

Reverse Calf Raises:
100 x 10 (+10 lbs)
100 x 10
Here too.

Stiff-Leg Deads:
145 x 8 (+10 lbs)
145 x 8
Form was good on these. Some guy doing shoulder presses kept looking at me, probably wondering what I was doing.

Seated Calf Raises:
100 x 10 (+10 lbs)
100 x 10

My leg workout is so short, I can't help but throw other things in!

Assisted Pullups:
-"4" x 6
I moved up two numbers! It won't be long at all before I can do unassisted pullups, and then weighted ones! :strong:

DB External Rotation:
10 x 10

DB Internal Rotation:
12 x 8
I'm doing these two exercises to strengthen my rotator cuffs, which are prone to injury.

DB Bench Max Attempt:
65 x miss
Damn. I got them up a couple inches, but it was really wobbly, and not all the way. I'll just try for 8's of 60 tomorrow.

bye.

Coke
07-27-2003, 03:21 PM
lol, the new or should I say the newer wardrobe is inevitable around here man - that is what we all about. Out with the old and on with the new :D

...and I assume that means everything like wardrobe, certain aspects of your personality, etc... ;)

aka23
07-27-2003, 05:41 PM
I'll just try for 8's of 60 tomorrow.[/size]

Nice gains on the leg exercises. Doing db benches on sequential days may be a bad idea, as recovery generally requires at least 36-48 hours.

Scott S
07-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Co-Co: Well, I *do* need new jeans, but buying bigger clothes is a slippery slope, you know? At least if you never buy bigger clothes you've got some motivation to keep from putting on too much bodyfat.

In other news, I'm about to outgrow one of my favorite shirts (a Thai language Coco-Cola promo shirt) because of my chest, shoulders, and lats. :cry:

aka23: Yeah, I'm aware that my lift will probably be hampered by today's attempt. I didn't give it my full-out effort, though. I'll amend my earlier post and just say that I'll try for as many reps as possible with the 60's. I know that I'll be able to get a couple at least. :cool:

(Tomorrow I'm planning to have my regular chest/shoulders/triceps workout, BTW.)

clvmike19
07-28-2003, 12:02 AM
more eat yes now.

Im druinnnnok by the way

Scott S
07-28-2003, 09:28 AM
LOL

Scott S
07-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Flat DB Press:
60 x 8 (+2 reps)
60 x 5
I'll try to be happy with 1 more rep this week. 65's next week, goddammit.

DB Front Lat Raises:
20 x 6 (+5 lbs)
20 x 6

Skullcrushers:
75 x 7
75 x 6
Three more reps this week.

DB Shoulder Press:
40 x 6
40 x 4 (another set at 40)
Now that I'm working more at the edge of my ability, it's getting harder to get the dumbbells up to my shoulders. I had to swing them up today.

Upright Rows:
65 x 6 (+5 lbs)
65 x 6
These hurt my shoulders a little. Plus, I was using an ez curl bar, and the 25's got in the way of my ROM. I'm either going to use a standard bar or lots of 10's next week.

Low Incline DB Press:
45 x 4 (+5 lbs)
40 x 4
40 x 5
I'm still trying to figure out whether or not to keep these. If I do, I may switch my flat DB press to decline bench. There is a lot of redundancy in the three presses I'm doing, I think.

Pec Machine:
110 x 7 (+10 lbs)
110 x 5
110 x 5
I really concentrated on contracting my pecs to bring my arms together and it felt good. I may develop decent pecs after all!

Nothing like a warm bottle of Gatorade to reward yourself after a good workout. :cool:

Scott S
07-28-2003, 04:56 PM
I forgot to mention that upon completing most of my workout, I spied a set of those 2.5 lb magnetic stick-on weights! Hell yeah! My progression on the dumbbell exercsies should be a lot smoother from now on.

clvmike19
07-28-2003, 09:37 PM
Sorry for the drunken ramble last night. im not sure why I singled out your journal for the abuse. :D

aka23
07-28-2003, 11:37 PM
I forgot to mention that upon completing most of my workout, I spied a set of those 2.5 lb magnetic stick-on weights! Hell yeah! My progression on the dumbbell exercsies should be a lot smoother from now on.

Those stick-on weights sound helpful. A 5lb jump on dumbbell exercises is often a significant percentage of the weight. I bought some 1.25lb plates a few weeks ago, so I could make small increments on dumbbell exercises, and have found them very useful. Now I almost always increment by 2.5lb.

Scott S
07-29-2003, 09:00 AM
clvmike19: No worries, man. Drunken spam is always appreciated! ;)

aka23: You hit it right on the head. 5 lbs is a big jump in weight for me on some movements, which is why I've altered my rep range on most exercises from 4-6 to 6-8. I've heard a lot (perhaps from you) that strength gains are fastest when working with a 4-6 rep range, so perhaps I'll be able to get back to that.

On a side note, quads and hams are STILL sore from Sunday's squatting! Woo-hoo! :)

Scott S
07-29-2003, 12:22 PM
I should mention that I picked up some new jeans and shorts yesterday. I had been wearing the old pairs for several years and needed some better looking stuff. Most of my old jeans are very faded and/or have holes in them. I have typically worn a 30-32 inch waist, but as is my fortune, I gain fat first on my ass. :rolleyes: Therefore, the 33- and 34-inch waisted jeans fit me the best last night, with a little more room for bulking. ;)

I should be careful though, the buying of bigger clothes is a slippery slope that ultimately allows most people the freedom to get really fat. Ugghhh. I must not let that happen.

Scott S
07-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Last night, I decided to go for a jog with my brother. Since I feel better about myself if I have some level of aerobic conditioning, we did what ended up being a 30-min jog at a 10-min mile pace. We both got a little winded toward the end, but it felt good.

I woke up this morning and that pesky calf pain (from June) was back. Goddammit. Just when I thought it had healed. I'm going to wait at least a week before jogging again, and I hope it doesn't affect my next leg day. On to the workout:

Machine Assisted Pullups:
unassisted x miss :(
10 lbs assist x 5
10 lbs assist x 3
16 lbs assist x 6
Hey, I actually looked closely at the machine today, and wouldn't you know it, there in the fine print is a weight chart for the assistance! I'm going to start listing actual pounds. Last week I did my sets with 16 lbs assistance, this week 10... I'm very close to my goal... of not being too pathetic to do a pullup. :rolleyes:

Alternating DB Curls:
30 x 6
30 x 6
30 x 5 (much later)
These felt good. I like them much better than BB curls.

Calf Machine Shrugs:
205 x 11 (+15 lbs!)
205 x 9
205 x 8
I wasn't expecting to advance by this much weight, but I had four plates on the machine and thought, what the hell, I'll throw on a quarter. :D

DB Rows:
55 x 4 (+5 lbs)
50 x 8
45 x 8
I actually got more reps with the 55's than I have recorded, but I'm discounting some for form. I didn't have the full ROM with the 55's. Next week, I think I'll stick a 2.5 on a 50 and see if that improves the ROM. After that first set (and the second), I wasn't satisfied, so I did a third to failure.

Hammer Curls:
35 x 1 :(
32.5 x 2 :confused:
30 x 3 :bang:
I have no excuse except that my biceps were starting to get really fried already. I think it was all the pullups.

Wide Grip Assisted Pullups:
52 lbs assist x 7
It occured to me recently that perhaps I *should* be doing wide-grip pullups. I've been using a shoulder-width grip just because it's the most natural for me. Too bad I suck at these!

...several minutes rest...

DB Concentration Curls:
30 x 6
30 x 4 (after a bunch more rest)
Finally, moving up a little on these again.

DB Side Raises:
15 x 6
15 x 7
12 x 9
I want big shoulders. BIG shoulders. Sooner!

Reflections:

That's it. That's ****ing it. Starting next week, I'm splitting up this workout into separate back and biceps days. I just can't work both my biceps and my back extremely hard on the same day. Today, I got really hopeful on the pullups and rows, and it hurt my biceps exercises.. If I go for great progress on my curling, I stagnate on my back exercises.

Has anybody else done this? I think it will help, provided I space them out properly.

JIG
07-31-2003, 03:26 AM
this past monday a new partner had us doing back an bi supersets....with little rest between sets...today Thursday my biceps still sore....was a 40-45 minute work out also...just my .02 cents...

aka23
07-31-2003, 03:37 AM
Last night, I decided to go for a jog with my brother. Since I feel better about myself if I have some level of aerobic conditioning, we did what ended up being a 30-min jog at a 10-min mile pace. We both got a little winded toward the end, but it felt good.

I woke up this morning and that pesky calf pain (from June) was back. Goddammit. Just when I thought it had healed. I'm going to wait at least a week before jogging again, and I hope it doesn't affect my next leg day. On to the workout:

Running is a very high impact, injury-prone sport. Triathletes who do running, cycling, and swimming report far more injuries while running that doing the other sports. I have done many different exercises including running, cycling, rowing, used cardio machines on the gym, sports teams, and weightlifting. I have had more injuries while running than with all of the others put together.

If you have a chronic calf problem, you might want to start out with a lower impact exercise such as the eliptical trainers (looks like cross country machine, but legs go in circular movements) at the gym. These can get your heart rate up quickly, like running, and are excellent for burning fat. However, they also have very smooth movements and have little chance of injury. A sports therapist recommended this exercise to me when I was recoverying from the a running injury several years ago.

Scott S
08-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Well, my ISP finally decided to stop playing hard-to-get so here's the news! First, my calf pain went away completely the following morning. Perhaps the fact that I only got 4 hours of sleep the night after the run didn't help. It's weird: I would think that if I had a serious injury that I would be able to feel it while doing the activity, not just the next day. I'll try the eliptical running stuff, aka. I *definitely* should not have gone for such a long run after not running for a month! I also should have stretched when I got back. :angel:

Leg Workout, 8/1

Calf Raise Machine:
240 x 10 (+10 lbs)
240 x 10
I usually try to do squats first, but there was a guy doing deads in it. He worked his way up to 275, and turned out to be pretty cool. First time I've seen anyone use straps in my gym.

Squats:
bar x 3
95 x 6
105 x 6 (+10 lbs)
115 x 6 (+20 lbs!!)
115 x 4
I'm starting to love squats as I get more confident in my form. Nothing could stop the smile from spreading across my face as I rose after the last set. :D

Reverse Calf Raises:
110 x 10 (+10 lbs)
110 x 11
110 x 8

Straight-Leg Deads:
135 x 6
155 x 6 (+10 lbs)
155 x 6

Seated Calf Raise:
115 x 8 (+15 lbs!)
115 x 10

Thoughts:
Well, I can always count on myself to progress on leg exercises, at least. I had a satisfying soreness in my quads and hammies today from the squats yesterday.

It's worth noting that my calf injury does not make its presence known *at all* during my leg workout. It's *only* the day after running. Well, that and when I raise my right knee hard when standing. I'm not sure what that would indicate.

I think I'm going to try a back-only day tomorrow and see what happens. We'll see if it affects my biceps workout on Wednesday.

Stephen Riddington
08-02-2003, 11:59 PM
Dude, your journal is going well. Man, gaining 13 lbs in two months? :thumbup: Well, I just started like two weeks ago and I hope I could gain like you. Would ya mind telling me what you normally eat daily???

Scott S
08-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Homer: It's all about keeping a food journal. Write down every single thing you eat, figure out the total calories, and modify your eating until you gain. My target is a pound a week, and when I average it all out since I started at 130ish in March, I've actually done that, although not at a steady rate. It took a long time to determine that I need to eat 20*BW calories per day to gain. That's about 3000 calories these days.

Right now, I'm on a mission to find a good digital scale so that I can monitor my progress even better.

Good luck!

Scott S
08-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Back-Only Workout!!

Assisted Pullups:
10 lbs assist x 6
10 lbs assist x 5

Calf Machine Shrugs:
220 x 10 (+15 lbs)
220 x 10
I tried pulling my shoulders as far back as I could on the second set, and that made it a little more challenging. I liked it. :)

DB Rows:
55 x 5 (+1 rep)
55 x 4 (another set)
I added a couple reps, but my ROM wasn't as complete as when I use 50's.

Light BB Rows for Fun:
85 x 8
85 x 8
85 x 7
85 x 4
It's been a while since I've done BB rows, and I still had trouble maintaining a bent-over posture without falling over. Whenever I found my balance and looked up into a mirror, I was at about a 45 degree angle. I suppose if that's okay, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts:
I definitely had a better back workout with fresh biceps than previously. Even though they were not tired, they still seemed too weak to really allow me to hit my back hard. If I can get a good biceps workout on Wednesday, I may keep this new split.

Scott S
08-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Weight Update: 154 lbs.

Interesting because I had slept for about 10 hours before weighing. Actually, it had been about 11-12 hours since eating last!

Scott S
08-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Flat DB Press:
62.5 x 4 (+5 lbs total)
60 x 6
A small victory, but a victory nonetheless. I may go for 65 x 1 next leg workout.

Front Lat Raises:
20 x 6
20 x 6
Upon thinking about it, I'm going to drop these. My anterior delts get enough work from my presses.

Skullcrushers:
80 x 6 (+5 lbs)
75 x 7

Shoulder Press:
40 x 5
40 x 5
At least I didn't lose any total volume from last week...

Lat Side Raises:
15 x 8
15 x 8
I'm going to increase my reps on these so that my ROM doesn't suffer too much when increasing the weight. I picked up 20s to begin with, and it just didn't happen.

Low Incline DB Press:
45 x 5
45 x 4 (another set at 45)

Elbows-Out DB Rows:
20 x 8
20 x 6
For at least a couple weeks, I'm going to try these and see what happens. I'd like to keep my shoulders somewhat balanced-looking.

DB Internal Rotation:
12 x 10
12 x 10

DB External Rotation:
12 x 10
12 x 8

Pec Machine Flyes:
120 x 8 (+10 lbs)
120 x 6
120 x 4

Thoughts:
I've been been reading a lot of old threads here lately, particularly a thread about pullups that is about as old as the forum. Pretty interesting -- I may modify my split to very, VERY basic exercises in a year or so and see how that works.

I'll post a link to the thread when I find it again.

aka23
08-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Lat Side Raises:
15 x 8
15 x 8
I'm going to increase my reps on these so that my ROM doesn't suffer too much when increasing the weight. I picked up 20s to begin with, and it just didn't happen.

Increasing from 15lbs to 20lbs is a 33% increase. It is not surprising that you were not able to make such an increase in a single workout. Perhaps the 1.25lb stick on weights that you mentioned earlier would be helpful. I use 1.25lb plates and make 2.5lb increments for nearly all dumbbell exercises.

The thread on pullups sounds interesting. I would be interested in seeing the link.

Scott S
08-04-2003, 09:37 PM
Actually, my gym has 2.5 lb DBs, not 1.25s. I *wish* we had 1.25s! I could probably buy my own 1.25 lb DBs to bring along.

PLUS, I made a big goof in my earlier post; the thread was about direct delt training. Here it is: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16250&perpage=25&pagenumber=6

It was somewhat heated at times, but it was interesting.

EDIT: Also, the thread was only about a year old. I re-read a LOT of old threads last night and got a couple confused. Sorry, folks!

Scott S
08-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Ab Workout, 8/5

100 regular crunches, spread out into several randomly-sized sets. I squeezed pretty hard at the top of each one. I needed to feel like I'd done something today. :rolleyes:

And besides, it's not the lamest excuse I've seen to bump a journal yet...

Scott S
08-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Woo-hoo! Got my shipment from 1fast400 today!!

5 lbs whey, 10 lbs each of dextrose and maltodextrin... We'll see how good the strawberry tastes -- I usually hate vanilla and chocolate versions of stuff, but I can consume anything that tastes remotely like strawberries. :D

Tomorrow I hope to get in my biceps workout.

Laters.

Scott S
08-06-2003, 08:57 PM
Hooray for Curl Jockey Day!!

I'm liking this back/bicep separation a lot... BTW, 2 min rest between all sets.

DB Curls:
30 x 8
30 x 8

DB Concentration Curls:
30 x 6
30 x 5

DB Hammer Curls:
25 x 8
25 x 11

aw hell...

More DB Curls:
25 x 5

I love teh pump, I love teh pump... :strong:

Scott S
08-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Almost forgot!

Weight update for 8/7: 153.5 lbs. Without being too gross, I think I had some extra waste leftover in me last time I weighed myself. So I'm at 153-154, right on target. My original goal was to hit 160 by the end of August, but I can still do it by the end of September. :burger:

Anyway, tomorrow (Friday), I'm going to have my bodyfat checked at the gym before I do my leg workout. My guess is that I'm somewhere between 15-20%. We'll see what it turns out to be.

clvmike19
08-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Hooray for Curl Jockey Day!

I like it! Good workout......

Scott S
08-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Hmm... I just spent 11 hours today STANDING at work. I know, I'll do SQUATS!!

Squats:
95 x 6 (warmup)
115 x 6
125 x 6 (+10 lbs)
135 x 6 (+20 lbs!)
135 x 4 :eek:

SL Deads:
135 x 6
155 x 6
Stopped a set early because my back was hurting and the bar was slipping out of my hands due to the lotion.* I need to substitute other ham exercises that don't tax my back so much. :(

Calf Raises:
250 x 10 (+10 lbs)
260 x 10 (+20 lbs)
265 x 10 (+25 lbs!)
270 x 11 :eek:

Reverse Calf Raises:
120 x 10 (+10 lbs)
125 x 10 (+15 lbs)
130 x 10 (+20 lbs!)

More pain, more pain!!

ahem.

Thoughts:

I tried out my new post-workout goodies today. Good God, this whey is awesome! It smells like whey protein, but my strawberry-flavored shake (30g whey/30g malto/30g dex) tasted great. It was very drinkable.

* I got my bodyfat checked at the rec center today. Since they offer both a bio-impedance test and a 7-point caliper test (JP-7), I figured I'd do both. (I needed to put lotion on my hands to help with conductivity.)

Interestingly, I weighed 157.6 lbs at the gym, roughly three pounds more than I do at home. I attribute the difference to food in my stomach and the fact that I was wearing (gym) clothes while on the scale.

My bio-impedance test came out to 14.4%. The current was also traveling through the leanest part of me, so it may be a little low.

My caliper test came out to 18%. While it's cool (I guess) that my estimate was correct, this means I'm carrying around roughly 35 pounds of fat. I'm not sure if I like the idea of being 20+% bodyfat either. If I continue bulking until next April (for a one year cycle), who knows how fat I'll be by then. Yet, if I cut soon, there still won't be much to cut to.

So what to do?? :confused: Perhaps when I reach my target weight of 160, I'll go on a two-month mini-cut and see where I end up.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!!

clvmike19
08-09-2003, 10:57 AM
Keep eating!

I havent had any probs with fat gain, but my body is weird like that. It takes soooooo much to gain. But it seems to be all muscle.

Scott S
08-09-2003, 09:19 PM
That's cool. My age has advanced to the point where not everything extra gets burned off right away. :rolleyes: I wish I'd gotten my body composition checked in March or so when I started bulking. Then it would be easier to see how much of the weight I've gained is lean tissue. My muscles are growing though, no doubt about that; my traps, arms, quads, (and ass) are all blowing up.

The thing that sucks is that my fat gain is consistently covering up all my new muscle. I just look like I'm getting fatter. :cry:

aka23
08-10-2003, 07:25 AM
My bio-impedance test came out to 14.4%. The current was also traveling through the leanest part of me, so it may be a little low.

My caliper test came out to 18%. While it's cool (I guess) that my estimate was correct, this means I'm carrying around roughly 35 pounds of fat. I'm not sure if I like the idea of being 20+% bodyfat either. If I continue bulking until next April (for a one year cycle), who knows how fat I'll be by then. Yet, if I cut soon, there still won't be much to cut to.

So what to do?? :confused: Perhaps when I reach my target weight of 160, I'll go on a two-month mini-cut and see where I end up.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!!

Those are some impressive gains on the squats and calf raises. Nice work.

I am surprised that your caliper test came out higher than your bioimpedence test. Most people have the opposite result. Much of the difference has to do with not performing the bioimpedence test under ideal conditions (do not eat/drink/exercise for x hours to minimize hydration fluctuations) and using inaccurate skinfold formulas in the caliper test.

When to cut and bulk depends on your goals. Some people continue bulking while at your bf and others choose to cut. If you do continue bulking. You could try to minimize fat gains by eating such that you gain no more than 1lb per week and doing cardio several days per week.

Scott S
08-10-2003, 11:41 AM
aka23: perhaps you mistyped, but my caliper test came out higher than my bioimpedance test. I *did* take several steps to help its accuracy: I did not exercise beforehand, I took a shower (and dired off thoroughly) before driving to the rec center, and I drank at least 40 oz of water during the day to ensure my hydration. I ate very little food in the preceding 5-6 hours, and was STARVING during my leg workout.

BTW, thank you for your compliments. I think I'm just now approaching my current strength limits on these exercises, so the gains have been more or less from me learning how to work hard at these exercises. My gains will probably not be as cool next week.

aka23
08-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Yes, I did mistype. I have edited my post.

Scott S
08-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Just had ~20 oz of steak for lunch today, with two glasses of milk. I may need to workout soon. More as this progresses... :clap:

Scott S
08-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Back-Only Workout, 8/10

Machine-Assisted Pullups:
10 lbs assist x 6
10 lbs assist x 6 (+1 rep)
I weighed 156 lbs in my gym clothes today because I still had that large meal in me. I'm happy that I was still able to add a rep.

BB Shrugs:
225 x 7
225 x 3
Hmm... my grip sucks ass. I thought that maybe by doing BB shrugs instead of machine shrugs, I might work on my grip. Instead, I could only hold on to the bar for a couple reps at a time, and I didn't even get quality reps. So, I went ahead and did:

Calf Machine Shrugs:
230 x 10 (+10 lbs)
230 x 11
215 x 12
MUCH better. I'll try BB shrugs again when I get some straps.

DB Rows:
55 x 7
50 x 8
No progress here. It bugs me that I simply can't get the full ROM with 55's, but I can do lots of reps with good ROM of the 50's.

Bodyweight Pullups with Curl Grip:
BW=156 x 4
BW x 3
BW x 1
Since I felt like I still had a little bit more in my back and biceps, I figured I'd try these. It felt rewarding to get my body weight up all the way, but I couldn't keep from swinging, and that was really annoying.

Thoughts:
Interesting... www.exrx.net calls my shrugs "Lever Gripless Shrugs." I still prefer my term. :)

Also, I would have thought that biceps would play a big role in curl-grip pullups. But they don't. It's my brachialii and brachioradialii. Yet, biceps are the synergists in overhand pullups. Fun stuff, these online exercise guides...

Scott S
08-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Is it just me, or are things getting REALLY busy here in Journal-Land? It only takes about 12 hours to get pushed to the second page now!

Scott S
08-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Chest/Shoulders/Triceps Workout, 8/11

Flat DB Press:
65 x miss
65 x halfway up (grr...)
60 x 8
60 x 7
Dammit, now my progression is stuck on DBs too. I almost thought I had 65 x 1 there. When I did the 60's, I realized that my form was a little sloppy, so next week my goal will be 60 x 8 good reps and then hopefully 8+ good reps for the second set.

Lat Side Raises:
15 x 10
15 x 9
15 x 4
Clicky-clicky-clicky... I think I will try those 2.5 lb magnetic weights on thse next week, and see how it goes.

Skullcrushers:
80 x 6
80 x 1 (well, better than none...)
75 x 3 (-4 reps :( )

Shoulder Press:
40 x 3.5 (-1.5 reps)
40 x 4 (-1 rep)

Low Incline DB Press:
45 x 2 :cry:
Bah. I wasn't even going to try these today, but I did anyway.

Pec Machine Flyes:
135 x 6 (+15 lbs!)
125 x 5 (+5 lbs)
120 x 6
FINALLY, something went right this workout!!

Thoughts:

I don't know what happened today. I felt super-weak on the pressing motions, even though I've been eating a lot, sleeping a lot, and haven't been under a lot of stress. Hmm...

Perhaps I need to take even more than 2-3 min rests between sets. I was done with my workout in less than 45 minutes, so I could probably afford to.

On a lighter note, I'm still enjoying my strawberry whey shakes. Chocolate and vanilla flavors need to have some fat to taste good to me, but strawberry doesn't. :)

Scott S
08-12-2003, 08:55 AM
Bump for weight update: 151.5 @ 9 am.

Ummm, yay for unexplainable water/glycogen depletion?

Scott S
08-13-2003, 06:26 PM
Weight: 153 lbs. Alright, eating a half-pound Big Montana last night must have given me all the sodium I need to hold on to a respectable amount of water! :clap:

Scott S
08-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Hooray kids, it's another...

Curl Jockey Day!!

DB Curls:
35 x 6 (+5 lbs)
35 x 6 (another set at new weight)
Okay, so I knew I probably had this in me last week, but it felt good to move up for two sets!

DB Concentration Curls:
30 x 6
30 x 6 (+1 rep)
Since I moved up in weight on the last exercise, I didn't try to go too crazy on these. I'm not sure if I could have done more reps here.

Hammer Curls:
30 x 6 (+5 lbs!)
30 x 4
25 x 3 (dropset)
These felt awesome too. :)

Thoughts:

I really hate hitting failure before I'm done working a bodypart, so that is the main reason I didn't go nuts on the concentration curls. However, once I got to the hammers, I was ready to drop-set myself into a painful pump! :)

P.S. Weight steady at 153 lbs.

P.P.S. I'm pretty sure no one cares about my weight fluctuations (in fact, I know it's boring.) However, this online journal is an excellent way to record them.

So there.

Scott S
08-15-2003, 08:33 PM
Leg Workout, 8/15.

Squats:
115 x 4
135 x 8
145 x 6 (+10 lbs)
145 x 6
Gotta work on my balance here. I leaned forward a bit too much on the heavier sets. tuttut

Lying Single-Leg Curls:
I'm switching to these from SLDLs for the time being as the SLDLs seemed to hurt my back more than they work my hamstrings. I was able to work my hamstrings a lot better this way. Also, targeting them separately will help me to balance them, as my left leg has always been weaker than my right.

Reverse Calf Raises:
135 x 10 (+5 lbs)
135 x 10
135 x 10
Three sets at a good weight. Mmmm, good.

Calf Raises:
270 x 10
270 x 10
270 x 10
280 x 14 (+10 lbs!)
180 x 12
Oh god, these were awesome. I started 'em heavy, and just piled on weight as I got tired. I had to grunt kind of loud to get the last reps of 280! And then, I decided that I needed a dropset for good measure. :D

Very much tired sleep now bye.

Scott S
08-18-2003, 05:02 PM
Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Back Workout, 8/18

My energy level has been low today. I became tired very quickly during the workout, especially on the pressing exercises, so I stopped well short of failure, for the sake of recovery. I even skipped incline press today.

Assisted Pullups:
10 lbs assist x 8
10 lbs assist x 6

Flat DB Press:
60 x 5
60 x miss :confused:
-- frustrated rest --
60 x 6

Lat Side Raises:
20 x 6 (+5 lbs)
20 x 6

Calf Machine Shrugs:
250 x 10 (+20 lbs)
250 x 10

DB Rows:
55 x 6
55 x 5
Next week, I'm going to put these before pullups, as I should be hitting my whole back (rather than just my lats) while my biceps are fresh.

Skullcrushers:
80 x 6
75 x 4
Basically, I've maintained the same strength for three weeks. :bang:

Shoulder Press:
40 x 6
40 x 4
While these were more respectable than last week, I still wobbled too much.

Pec Machine Flyes:
135 x 7
135 x 5
Due to my lack of energy, I skipped the dropset this week. One thing that sucks about this machine is that I have to hold the handles at arm's length. Many pec dec machines place the forearms upright, so that only the upper arm causes the movement. On this particular machine, I must use my biceps to keep my arms straight. I think I could hit my pecs better if this machine were like the rest.

Curl Grip Pullups:
BW x 3.5
Bah.

Thoughts:

Feh. Terrible, terrible workout. I don't know if oversleeping, my diet, or what is to blame, but I just felt WEAK the entire time. As I look back through my journal, my weight has not increased in two weeks. Evidently, I am not eating enough. I think that my job has been placing a higher caloric demand than I previously thought. For the next two weeks, I am going to shoot for 4000 calories per day, and see if that jumpstarts my lifts again.

Scott S
08-19-2003, 05:58 PM
*Bump* for today's weight (155, the highest I have weighed in the morning yet), and some thoughts:

For the first time, I actually felt a little sore in my lats today. I'm not sure which particular exercise did it, but I know that I'm getting better at pushing myself on the back exercises.

Scott S
08-20-2003, 06:50 PM
Time for... Curl Jockey Day, 8/20!!

DB Curls:
35 x 6
35 x 5
I sensed that my right arm would not be able to hit 6 reps on the second set, so I didn't push it.

DB Concentration Curls:
30 x 8 (+2 reps)
30 x 7 (+1 rep)
Is it considered cheating to switch hands toward the end of each set to get all the reps? I nearly hit failure with my right arm during the second set, so I switched to the left and did two more reps. When I switched back to my right arm, I was able to get two more reps on that side as well.

Hammer Curls:
30 x 6
30 x 6
25 x 4
Two good sets of the 30s, and a nice, small dropset to grow on. :D

Thoughts:
Since I wasn't able to get into the gym on Sunday, I ended up doing my back workout two days ago, instead of three. I'm willing to blame my lack of progress on the regular curls on not giving my self enough time to recover from back day.

Also, the weight fairies are finally starting to drop it on me in my sleep. I weighed 156 this morning. :)

Scott S
08-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Today's weight: 158.5. :eek:

I'm not gonna lie, it's because 1) I ate a lot of carbs/sodium for a late dinner last night 2) drank a lot of milk and water and 3) had to get up at 4:30 (and weigh myself first-thing) for my summer job. *groans* So I still had more food and water in me than in other weighings. Still, it felt good to *think* I was closer to 160. :D

Anyway, I'm gonna see if I can still do deadlifts tomorrow, so STAY TUNED!!!

clvmike19
08-21-2003, 10:29 PM
excellent job!

Scott S
08-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Umm. Yeah.

Today's weight: 155.5 lbs. Much more realistic. I've been thinking about it lately, and I may not wait until I hit 160 to start cutting. I'm getting too damn fat. I'm noticing that I need to eat a lot more to keep up my progress on lifts, and it's not worth it to gain so much fat to add smaller and smaller amounts of muscle.

sigh.

okay, Workouts!!

Yesterday's Abortive Leg Day: I was stupid enough to go to the gym 30 min before it closed, and I also brought along my sister to show her some lifts. Needless to say, I got next to nothing done.

Deads:
135 x 6
145 x 6
155 x 4
Especially on the lowest position, I couldn't get my back straight enough, so it was painful. I need to watch more videos or find other deadlifters to get pointers from. Either that, or lighten up the weight once again and see if that helps. :bang:

Squats:
155 x 2 (+10 lbs)
[size=1]On paper, it looks like I progressed, but I was very wobbly, I leaned forward too much, and I failed for the first time ever on my third time. :(

Leg Workout, 8/23:

Squats:
135 x 2
155 x 4
155 x 3
155 x 3
135 x 3
Form sucked again. How much *should* I be bending over in these? Once I start back up, my main fight is getting my back upright again...

Lying Single-Leg Ham Curls:
This machine has those damn fake weights listed so I'm not even going to post them. What angers me more is that my right leg seems to permanently have superior ROM. Next time, I think I'll try negative curls and see if that does anything.

Lever Standing Calf Raises:
280 x 10
290 x 10 (+10 lbs)
300 x 10 (+20 lbs)
310 x 10 (+30 lbs!!)
310 x 10
310 x 10
310 x 10 :eek:
My calves are OFFICIALLY the only part of my body that doesn't completely suck. I can always load up more weight, and COUNT on them to get the weight up. Breaking 300 was very satisfying, and helped me forget the other stuff.

Reverse Calf Raises:
140 x 10 (+5 lbs)
150 x 11 (+15 lbs)
150 x 10
150 x 10
I had a lot of trouble keeping my feet on the block today. When I'm pointing my toes downward to get the most ROM, my shoes slip a little every time, so I sometimes have to re-place my feet in the middle of a set. I would use a smaller ROM, but I feel it the best when I go as far down and as far up as possible.

And then I drank a 400 calorie shake. :)

BadAttituud
08-23-2003, 06:19 PM
How tall is it you are again? I'd be doing backflips right now if I were 155. (OK, I'm only slightly over that,but it's AFTER losing 20 pounds) :(

Anyhow.. It's not anything I would laugh at.. (so there :p ) I have a feeling that we are going to give each other some cometition. :)

aka23
08-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Nice gains on the calf machine. I also gain strength easily on calf raises, especially standing calf raise. While other body parts such as my hamstrings progress much more slowly.

If you have little time availble for a workout some possible options are to cut back on sets or cut back on body parts. Several studies suggest there is not much strength or hypertrophy benefits to lots of extra sets. Continuing the workout the next day can have negative results, if the same body part is being worked during both sessions.

I like your idea of doing gripless, calf machine shrugs. I think I will try them tonight. The exercise sounds ideal for me since I can work both of my traps without stressing my injured humerus (upper arm).

Scott S
08-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Bad: I'm 5'8". After today's squatting session, I'm not so sure anymore. I think I may have to drop my poundages down once again to get my form right. Today's squats were very messy, and I could have really hurt myself if I'd gone any heavier. :(

aka23: Thank you. Yeah, I could have potentially gotten everything done on Friday if I hadn't promised my sister that I'd help her with everything. It wasn't a big deal to come in again today. I preferred having a lot more time anyway.

BTW, I swear by the gripless shrugs. My grip is weak as hell. At this point, I can't even hold on to 180 lbs for more than a few seconds. :( It's one of many reasons I'm thinking of taking up deadlifts again. Being able to exercise my traps without relying on arm strength has done wonderful things for them.

Scott S
08-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Note to self: stop sleeping on side! I think I dislocate my shoulder or something when I do, because it's been hurting a lot in the morning. Leave it to me to injure myself in my sleep. :(

BadAttituud
08-24-2003, 12:13 PM
That's it! I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

I know what you mean Scott about the form thing.. That's why I like working with my sis, she watches my form and makes me keep it right.

I also sleep on my side, I found it helps if I get an extra pillow to kind of make room for my shoulder instead of crinking it up under there..

Scott S
08-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Birthday Back workout 8/24:

DB Rows:
55 x 8
55 x 5
55 x 3
These felt really easy today, probably because I put them first.

Calf Machine Shrugs:
260 x 10 (+10 lbs)
270 x 10 (+20 lbs!)
270 x 10
My ROM was a little less on the last set, but it was still good. I think I'll stick with 270 for several sets next week. Or not. ;)

Assisted Pullups:
10 lbs assist x 6
Easy enough... hmm...

Unassisted Pullups!:
BW x 2

OMG, I have never in my LIFE done a real pullup! Hmm... could I do more?

BW x 2.5
BW x 2
Wow.

Bodyweight pullup negatives: BW x 8.
Why not? :cool:

Curl Grip Pullups:
BW x 2
BW negatives x 3
I just kept going until I couldn't anymore. Also for the first time in my life, my lats were aching!

Wow...

<=== this awesome birthday back workout was brought to you by.... :evillaugh:

Scott S
08-25-2003, 12:00 PM
DOMS in my lats today. That's something new.

BadAttituud
08-25-2003, 03:52 PM
great Birthday workout! And happy birthday Scott!

galileo
08-25-2003, 03:52 PM
I used to get sore when I did db rows and chins. Now I just get angry.

Scott S
08-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Hey galileo! Without going into great lengths, it's good to see you back. :)

Scott S
08-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Oh, and thank you BA. I think the preworkout cake helped my workout. Just to be sure, I'm having another piece right now before my chest workout. :D

galileo
08-25-2003, 04:15 PM
Oh happy birthday bro. Mine is in 2 days. ;)

BadAttituud
08-25-2003, 04:33 PM
Oh, and thank you BA. I think the preworkout cake helped my workout. Just to be sure, I'm having another piece right now before my chest workout. :D

OK now, don't make me hate you... I got the munchies for a sweet treat today on my way home from an appointment, so I stopped at the store and got some of the NICEST peaches.... <sigh> I sure miss ice cream though.. On the up side, in the last 2 months, I've lost 19 pounds with no chemical assistance! (yay me :clap:..)

Scott S
08-25-2003, 05:16 PM
Hey everybody, I finally found the scoop in my tub of whey! Woo-hoo!! :D

Umm, okay, I'll work out now...

Scott S
08-25-2003, 08:04 PM
Chest workout, 8/25:

Flat DB Press:
25 x 5
62.5 x 5
62.5 x 6 :cool:
Wow, I've been waiting for a PR on these for more than a month!! I didn't even know if I had another set in me.

Lat Side Raises:
20 x 8 (+2 reps)
20 x 8 (+2 reps)

Skullcrushers:
80 x 6
80 x 3
These were less exruciating this week. I did notice between sets, however, that my left brachioradialis was really hurting. I think it's because I didn't pay enough attention while putting down the dumbbells on the flat DB press.:

Shoulder Press:
40 x 3 :bang:
That's right, only four reps. By this point, my left arm was hurting so much I couldn't stabilize it, so I decided to stop. And I'd waited so long for the 40lb dumbbells, too. :(

Pec Machine out of Order??!?
**** me! Not my favorite foo-foo exercise!! :eek::eek::eek:

Grrr....

So I took some ibuprofen tuttut and iced my arm. Screw the whole "not dropping weights thing" -- I don't want to tear muscles every time I bench!

Scott S
08-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Rest day.

Weight on Mom's scale: 157.5 lbs. This is the scale I've been using all summer.

Weight on my new scale (birthday gift): 159.2 lbs. It's interesting that every other scale has weighed slightly heavier than my Mom's. Even though both initialize themselves everytime you tap on it.

I'm thinking that I should go by my new scale. In which case, I'm pretty close to my goal!

Scott S
08-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Oh, I neglected to mention this, but I got a dip belt for my birthday! Woo-hoo! The only problem was that it came with a really short chain, so even a 10 wouldn't fit under me if I looped the chain. So we took it back and got a belt from another store that was willing to cut a custom 40" chain for me. :D The new belt is more comfortable too. Should I factor its 1.8 lbs into my lifts? That's what I'm wondering now...

aka23
08-26-2003, 03:05 PM
The birthday sounds like it went well. It is great that you received gifts that you enjoy and will use.

I think you made the right decision about stopping when your left arm was hurting and you could not stabilize the dumbbells. A spotter could also be helpful in such cases.

carolinagirl
08-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Should I factor its 1.8 lbs into my lifts?

Now you're just being silly.

A dip belt. What a great present! It's nice that your parents know you well enough to know what you really want.

And don't you feel like a total badass doing dips with a belt?

Scott S
08-26-2003, 05:59 PM
aka23: I think so too. My ego is small enough to allow me to take it easy when I need to.

cgirl: Yeah, my folks are awesome... although, I'll admit that even though my siblings (20 & 15) and I (23) are getting older, we still make lists. Sort of like Christmas lists, y'know? I got a bunch of Mel Brooks DVDs. Now there's some family entertainment! :D

And I love doing weighted dips!! When I was lighter, I did dips with 35 lbs. I fully intend to use the extra length of chain to hang 45's some day soon. :strong:

Scott S
08-27-2003, 02:29 PM
My brachio's still hurt a little when I got up this morning. I'm going to put my biceps workout off until tomorrow, and see if they are recuperated by then.

I swear I will never *never* injure myself putting down weights gently again!! So what if I startle somebody dropping weights?

ryan1117
08-27-2003, 05:07 PM
Nice, the dip belt was a great idea. In fact, I got one for myself recently since it kind of got annoying having to fill out forms to rent one every time from my gym.

Scott S
08-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Yeah, now my concern is gonna be keeping track of it when I bring it to the gym. I think I'm gonna stencil my last name into it or something.

Using a squat-belt for dips with a 35 lb DB was just too scary for my boys. :eek:

Coke
08-28-2003, 05:37 AM
Be extremely careful with the belt. I mean you may want to use it and then afterwards take it to the car - :D

Scott S
08-28-2003, 07:39 PM
CoCoa: :scratch:

Anyways, my workouts are back on track since my arms are feeling better.

Lower Back/Legs/Chest/Forearms/Biceps Workout, 8/28!

Deadlifts:
95 x 8
105 x 7
105 x 8
These were purely to work on my form. I'm proud to admit that my back never rounded on these. Although, I must say that you have a little more ROM to deal with when using smaller plates.

Static Holds:
185 x 32 sec
195 x 20 sec
First time ever doing these. They were fun!

Pec Machine Repaired! Woo-hoo!
135 x 8
After the first set, I realized that I would probably compromise my biceps work if I did all my flyes now. So I saved the rest for later.

DB Curls:
35 x 8
35 x 5

T-Bar Row Thingy:
25 lbs x 6
This machine has a pad and an angled platform, and you hang a weight on the arm. I'm sure I've gotten the name wrong, but damn, this machine is harder than it looks!

Reverse Wrist Curls:
45 lb bar x 8
bar x 10
bar x 11

Concentration Curls:
35 x 2
30 x 6
30 x 5

Hammer Curls:
25 x 7
25 x 8
Decided to take it a little easy on my brachios while they heal.

Poorly Thought-Out Pec Machine Dropset:
135 x 7
120 x 4
100 x 5
80 x 5
60 x 10
60 x 8
50 x 8
50 x 8
Ow chest pain bad.

Thoughts:
I didn't progress on much, but it was a good workout, and I tried enough new stuff not to care. :D

Also, I noticed that the rec center actually has a weighted dip/pullup machine(!) You put a pin in the stack, and strap on a belt that stays with the machine. Whatever. Doing it with free weights is way more fun. :cool:

Scott S
08-29-2003, 12:34 PM
:swear:

My knee/calf injury inexplicably chose to revisit me yesterday morning. And as of today, is still plaguing me whenever I stand up. I may put off my leg workout until tomorrow. I repeat, only someone like me can manage to injure themselves so severely in their ****ing sleep.

That is all.

aka23
08-29-2003, 12:43 PM
T-Bar Row Thingy:
25 lbs x 6
This machine has a pad and an angled platform, and you hang a weight on the arm. I'm sure I've gotten the name wrong, but damn, this machine is harder than it looks!

I believe exrx.net calls this a lever bent-over row -- http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/LVBentOverRow.html .

I am sorry to hear that your leg problems returned. I hope it improves soon.

galileo
08-29-2003, 01:10 PM
My squat belt weighs about 3lbs and I typically don't count it. Grats on static holds. I should start doing my grip work again...<sigh>

Scott S
08-29-2003, 03:54 PM
aka23: It's like that, but the body is supported, so the lower back doesn't really have to do much. I suppose if I actually inspected the machine, there'd be a name somewhere.

EDIT: I looked around on exrx.net, and it's more like the "Lever Incline Row", except that it is contructed differently. On the machine in my gym, the arm is attached directly to the body support thing, so the ROM is not as straight.

galileo: Yeah, I decided that 1.8 lbs wasn't really enough to matter. A meal might make more difference.

And, I'm loving the grip work stuff. Since it hits my traps pretty hard, I may not do shrugs as often. My traps are getting pretty big anyway. (Well, not big, but disproportionate to my other muscles.)

Scott S
08-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Also, gal, did your chest pic turn out to be that unpopular that you had to change your avatar again? :D

Scott S
08-29-2003, 04:11 PM
Ah, f*ck it.

It's strange that the only time this knee thing hurts me is when I get up or walk around. Doesn't hurt at all when I work my legs.

Light Squats for Form:
<warmup>
95 x 8
95 x 8
I don't know how much longer I'll need to keep doing this, but I dropped the weight considerably to make sure I was balancing myself and exploding out of the bottom properly. Good thing no one was around to witness my weakness. :(

Good Mornings:
65 x 10
65 x 7
85 x 8
In the past, I always hurt my back doing these because I was so dead-set on reaching parallel with my torso, bending my back in the process. With these sets, I kept my legs pretty straight and only went down as my back would let me. I'm pleased to say that I actually felt these in my hammies for once.

Lever Calf Raises:
320 x 10 (+10 lbs)
330 x 10 (+20 lbs)
340 x 10 (+30 lbs)
340 x 10
350 x 9.5
For the first time ever, I reached failure on calf raises. My ROM wasn't the greatest on the whole last set, but on the last rep, I couldn't get my heels over my toes. So I put in the pin called it good. Nice to know that I can lift 350 lbs onto my toes when I need to. :cool:

Reverse Calf Raises:
160 x 10 (+10 lbs)
160 x 10
160 x 10
I really need to figure out how to place my feet on the platform so they don't slide off mid-set.

Single-Leg Curls:
Not much to report here, except that my left leg is a bitch. So it got its own dropset.

Pullups:
BW x 4 (+2 reps for a set)
Only a matter of time before I start adding weight to these.

Thankfully, nothing I do during my leg workouts hurts my knee. Hopefully, if I keep taking my chondritin/glucosamine, the problem will slowly go away.

EDIT: I've been using too many smileys lately.

Scott S
09-02-2003, 01:19 AM
Alright, setting up my computer at my dorm room took way longer than it needed to. But I'm back, now, so everything's okay. My diet has been very uncontrolled, since I've been living off fast food and cafeteria food for the last two days. Who knows if I'm getting enough calories, but I'm eating as much as I can. Drinking coffee yesterday was a big mistake: it killed my appetite for the entire day! :eek: I'll have to watch out for that in the future.

As I'm gearing up for a metabolic shift, I'm remembering what a pain these calipers are. My skin is still too tight around my abdomen or thigh to get good readings. (Abdomen=36-50 mm) I may end up judging my progress by my pec skinfold measurements.

I think that for the next four months, I'm going to have to get reacquainted with Fitday. I'll be eating cafeteria food and not 400-calorie sandwiches or 200-calorie glasses of milk or 150-calorie cans of tuna.

Or maybe I should just drop my meal plan... :D

Anyways, knee still hurts. Workout tomorrow. Tomorrow is truly another day.

galileo
09-02-2003, 06:11 AM
Try getting some Captains of Crush from Ironmind.com. T/#1/#2 should do you. I love mine!

RG570 said I was enticing ghey lovin' from my avatar, so I changed it... :(

Scott S
09-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Wow... those look really fun! ...in a way I could not explain to anyone who doesn't lift.

As far as "enticing ghey lovin'"... you're not exactly the first person here to use their own pics as avatars, but I do like the ninj4 jacket. :)

aka23
09-02-2003, 04:57 PM
My skin is still too tight around my abdomen or thigh to get good readings. (Abdomen=36-50 mm) I may end up judging my progress by my pec skinfold measurements.

I have similar problems when doing skinfold measures on my calves. The skin is too tight to get a measure. I avoided this problem by ignoring the one or two formulas that use calf measures.

There are plenty of alternative measurement sites besides abs/thigh/pec . Some alternative measurement sites and bf formulas are listed at http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:DW9HOLzhUiUJ:maelstrom.seos.uvic.ca/people/zahariev/misc/bf_men.html+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8. The PA-3 and DW-4 formulas do not require ab or thigh measures.

Scott S
09-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Hey, thanks aka. It looks like I'll need to enlist a helper if I'm going to use the other formulae.

Here's to freaking out girlfriends with strange requests! :D :D :D

galileo
09-03-2003, 10:48 AM
It's a hoodie. ;)

Scott S
09-03-2003, 11:53 PM
1RM Determination Workout, 9/3!

Alright folks, time for me to cut. When I started in March, I was around 130 lbs @ 12% BF. As of today, I have bulked up to 157 lbs @ approx 20% BF, a gain of roughly 10 lbs LBM. While I'm not incredibly stronger, continuing to bulk at 20% would be pretty dumb.

My new goal is to have a six-pack (~8%) by the end of the year. That gives me roughly 16 weeks to lose 20 lbs. Since it has been taking me around 3000 calories/day to bulk, I'm going to cut it to around 2500/day to begin with and tweak that so that I lose 1-2 lbs per week. If I lose 2 lbs per week for the first month, I won't worry, but I'll slow it down once I start to lean up.

Supplementation: methylphenidate, vitamins (2g C, ZMA stack at night, perhaps green tea extract if I get around to it)

Cardio is iffy because of my leg problem. If I do decide to incorporate it, it will be on an elliptical machine.

I will be using an HST program during the cut, since I believe it may minimize LBM losses by way of frequent full-body stimulus. We'll see if that actually happens. I'll be using a 15/12/10/8/5/neg progression. Because I'm anal like that. :D

Today's workout was solely to determine (or at least guess at) my 1-rep maxes. It was interesting because I set several PRs (highlighted Belial-style) while doing so:

Squats:
155 x 3
160 x 2 (1RM=160)

Shoulder Press:
40 x 2
45 x 3 (1RM=45)

Rear Delt Raises:
20 x 4 (1RM=20 due to form)

(Luther College) Pec Machine Flyes:
50 x 3
70 x 1 (1RM=70)
Note: the markings on the machine may or may not indicate pounds. I might use the other pec machine, which resembles what I used over the summer, instead.

DB Rows:
60 x 3
65 x 2 (1RM=65)

Calf Raises:
270 x 10
360 x 10
385 x 10
410 x 8 (1RM=425)
My ROM was shallower on these because there was not a block to stand on. Next time I use this machine, I am going to use plates to prop up the front end of the machine to achieve the desired ROM. I'm not sure if my PRs would have been as staggering if I had to use full ROM.

Good-mornings:
85 x 8
95 x 8
105 x 5 (1RM=115)

Lat Raises:
25 x 1 (1RM=25)

Incline Press:
50 x 5 (1RM=55)

Lat Pulldown:
150 x 3
162.5 x almost (1RM=162.5)
It's interesting that I can pull up my bodyweight (160-ish with clothes) for reps, yet I can't even do it once with the lat pulldown. Probably due to the mechanics of the machine or something.

Skullcrushers:
75 x 4 (1RM=80)
For the last couple weeks, I've been getting progressively weaker on skulls for some reason.

DB Curls:
40 x 3 (1RM=40)

Weighted crunches will be figured out later.

I will now Strategically Deconditionalize until Monday's workout.

So there you have it. Comments, questions, revolutionary statements??!?

aka23
09-04-2003, 12:22 AM
Good luck with the cutting. I agree that cardio on the elliptical machine is a good choice if you have a leg injury. I first started using the elliptical trainer after a doctor recommended it while recovering from a minor running injury several years ago. I have found that I can get a very intense workout while on the elliptical trainer, more intense than cycling machines, but not quite as intense as running.

fuzz
09-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Hey Scott, good luck with the cut with HST and everything. Are those exercises you tested the ones you are going with for HST? I ask because I don't see a good compound chest movement.

Scott S
09-04-2003, 08:58 AM
aka23: Thanks. Yeah, I got the idea from you. Hopefully, it'll go well. I've never tried programming intervals into one, but maybe once I've gotten my legs used to regular cardio, I'll figure that out.

fuzz: Thanks, fuzz. I'm trying to whittle as much volume as I can out of the program, so with the shoulder press, incline press, and the flyes, I figured I was doing enough for my chest. Would you recommend adding flat press back into it? I enjoy the flyes because I feel they work my pectorals more than any other exercise.

WillKuenzel
09-04-2003, 09:02 AM
I would actually cut out incline press and replace it with flat bench. Because you are doing shoulder press, you're hitting your delts there, so no need to add too much to it with incline. Having flat bench in there would be a better option IMO.

fuzz
09-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Scott, actually I would recommend dropping flies entirely and just going with dips and incline presses or something similiar. Judging from the amount of weight you are lifting, you should concentrate on adding mass with the compound movements. Dips and inclines will hit your chest twice with good, compound movements.

Also, if you can do chins for reps, then you should do those instead of pull downs and add weight as you get into the 10/5 rep cycles.

I'm also guessing you could drop rear delt raises and lat raises without too much trouble, giving the small muscles they are hitting and the fact that you have a shoulder press and a couple back movements that should hit lats/rear delts fine.

Hope this helps - I'm a believer in sticking to basics, particularily until you start hitting the big weight. I don't think there is much point to isolation/machine work until you are at least at the 3/4/5 level. (300 bench/400 squat/500 dead)

fuzz: I'm trying to whittle as much volume as I can out of the program, so with the shoulder press, incline press, and the flyes, I figured I was doing enough for my chest. Would you recommend adding flat press back into it? I enjoy the flyes because I feel they work my pectorals more than any other exercise. [/B]

Scott S
09-04-2003, 09:26 AM
Woo-hoo... more feedback.

HomeYield: Hmm, I could do that. I hate doing three different presses. It seems so redundant. That's why I wanted to drop one.

fuzz: How does a shoulder press/flat press/dips routine sound? Also, I've been thinking off adding rear delt raises because my rear delts have been lagging behind my front delts and lateral delts, which have just *exploded.* I'll take your "focus on compounds" comment into consideration. Looks like I'll be testing several exercises today. :)

Also, it's interesting, now that I've gotten back to school, hearing people say, "Wow, you've goten bigger this summer!" My shoulders, trap and arms have certainly gorwn a little, but not a lot. I don't have the heart to tell them it's more likely fat that they're seeing.

fuzz
09-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Shoulder press, flat press, and dips sounds fine. Make sure to keep shoulder presses at one set with this, though, they will be getting a lot of work from the bench to begin with.

Scott S
09-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Yep. Cool. It's going to be hard to wait four days to workout again... at least I can test a couple maxes today.

Scott S
09-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Grr....

Flat DB Press:
25 x 4
60 x 4
65 x miss :(
45 x 6 *attempt at wave-loading*
65 x miss again :swear:
60 x 6
You'd think that since I can rep 60 lb DBs more or less indefinitely, that I should be able to get at least 65 x 1. But no...

Just to spite myself, I'm going to use it as my pr anyway. (1RM=65)

Weighted Dips:
bw x 3
+10 x 4
+20 x 3
+25 x 3
+35 x 2
Wow. Considering that I've added roughly 10 lbs to myself since the last time I dipped 35, I've got a new pr! :)

P.S. BTW, today's weight=156.2 lbs. My weight fluctuates a lot, so I'm going to weigh myself every morning under the same conditions and guess at a middle ground for my actual weight.

BadAttituud
09-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Great Job Scott! I'm jealous... :)

Scott S
09-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks. My progress at the flat DB bench is enough to keep me humble.

Scott S
09-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Y'know, I'm going to get lots of virtual tomatoes thrown at me for this, but it's pretty easy for me to eat less than maintenance calories. It's 6:00, and I've only eaten about 1600 calories. That's about half of what I ate per day while bulking. And I'm not incredibly hungry either. As long as I eat something before bed, I think that my fatloss will be pretty smooth at first.

Getting ripped might still be hard though.

chops
09-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Y'know, I'm going to get lots of virtual tomatoes thrown at me for this, but it's pretty easy for me to eat less than maintenance calories. It's 6:00, and I've only eaten about 1600 calories. And I'm not incredibly hungry either. As long as I eat something before bed, I think that my fatloss will be pretty smooth at first.

<peeks>
you get ROTTEN tomatoes!

galileo
09-05-2003, 05:54 AM
Grats on the PR with the dips! With everyone doing these again, I'm feeling somewhat obligated to start back up.

I don't know what your goals are, but just last year at this time I weighed exactly what you do. You can make huge changes in a years time if you dedicate yourself. Stick with it.

JustinF
09-05-2003, 06:42 AM
Y'know, I'm going to get lots of virtual tomatoes thrown at me for this, but it's pretty easy for me to eat less than maintenance calories. It's 6:00, and I've only eaten about 1600 calories. That's about half of what I ate per day while bulking. And I'm not incredibly hungry either. As long as I eat something before bed, I think that my fatloss will be pretty smooth at first.

Getting ripped might still be hard though.

Eat bro, EAT!!!!!

Oh yeah, nice looking session. 'Grats on the PR!

Scott S
09-05-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone. That surprised me a lot, too. In fact, if I had done less other stuff, I might have been able to do a +40 or +45 dip. Who knows. What I can't figure out, which I will continue to complain about, is not being able to move up in DB bench for nearly two months. I've been doing sets of 60 since 7/14. :cry:

And JustinF, I'm eating enough (I think). Jan 2004 will bring a lot of clean bulking for me. :D

aka23
09-05-2003, 12:19 PM
What I can't figure out, which I will continue to complain about, is not being able to move up in DB bench for nearly two months. I've been doing sets of 60 since 7/14. :cry:

I have also had slow gains on chest exercises. It sometimes helps to try switching your routine by using substitute exercises or different reps/intensities/rest periods. This is somewhat of a moot point, since you are planning to switch to HST in the near future. Nice work with the recent PRs.

fuzz
09-05-2003, 03:23 PM
I found my Incline DB bench went from the 60s to the 75s in the 5 rep and 5 rep plus cycles of HST. This was while cutting, also. So I wouldn't be surprised if your DB Bench was up quite a bit by the time you get to the end of HST.

Scott S
09-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Today's Weight: 154.2 lbs.

Well, I went in today to figure out my 15RMs. When I did all my 1RMs the other day, I figured that there would be some kind of handy calculator tool to figure out the 15RMs, 10RMs, and the 5RMs based off of that. Guess not...

As it turns out, I've decided to go with the 15/15/10/10/5/neg progression that everyone uses, instead of trying to figure out a 15/12/10/8/5/2/neg. That would be ridiculous. :D

So here are the numbers that look right to me. A couple of the 10s are fudged. And I got some of my 5RMs by dropping my 1RM (which was actually a 2RM or 3RM in the gym) by as small an increment as possible. Hopefully, I'm not too far off. As a side note, damn those 15's were tiring!! I'm not looking forward to the first two weeks at all!

(EDIT: I had trouble with fonts, so the lovely table I had in mind won't be happening! :()

Exercise: 15RM, 10RM, 5RM

Squats: 115, 140, 160
DB Shoulder Press: 25, 35, 45
DB Rows: 45, 55, 60
Good-mornings: 85, 95, 105
Weighted Dips: bw, +20, +35 (Note that these will change a lot as my bodyweight changes!)
Calf Raises: 300, 360, 425
Flat DB Press: 45, 60, 62.5 (As our Luther gym does not have stick-on weights, I hope I am up to 65's by this point!)
Lat Pulldown: 125, 137.5, 150
DB Curls: 25, 30, 40

galileo
09-06-2003, 04:35 PM
good luck!

Scott S
09-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Thanks!

Now that all my maxes are out of the way, I'll be taking the next week off for SD. During that time, I'm going to try to maintain my weight, and save the cutting for when the 15s start.

Scott S
09-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Today's weight: 155 lbs. Good thing I don't drink this much all the time! :D

rookiebldr
09-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Best of luck on the HST program. It can be alot of fun and many have made excellent progress on it. :)

Scott S
09-07-2003, 06:18 PM
I'm hoping that since I've only been training for six months, I may even be able to put on some LBM as some of those on the HST board have claimed. Probably not, but it would be nice.

Weight after dinner: 159.6 lbs. Hooray for food! :D

BadAttituud
09-08-2003, 08:10 AM
Looking good Scott!

Scott S
09-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Just wait till I post pics. ;) ;) :D

BadAttituud
09-08-2003, 02:00 PM
Just wait till I post pics. ;) ;) :D

Ooooooooooh.........I can hardly wait!:drooling: ;)