PDA

View Full Version : homemade protien shakes??

NO2
05-06-2003, 03:44 PM
hi all, i was woundering if anyone knows any good homade protien shakes..

low in fat and low in carbs...

if anyone knows pls dont be shy to say
i would like to make some homemade shakes

mmm mmmm gooood:D

DasTylZ
05-06-2003, 03:57 PM
i like this one
1 egg
3 egg whites
1 1/2 cup of milk
2 bannanas
1 cup of oatmeal
1tsp of oil
but that one is hight carb
if u want high protein low carb
go for:
1 Can of tuna
1 1/2 cup of tomato juice
1tsp of oil

GhettoSmurf
05-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by DasTylZ
i like this one
1 egg
3 egg whites
1 1/2 cup of milk
2 bannanas
1 cup of oatmeal
1tsp of oil
but that one is hight carb
if u want high protein low carb
go for:
1 Can of tuna
1 1/2 cup of tomato juice
1tsp of oil

the first one is very high carbs.
and the 2nd one, if you add the tomato juice there will be carbs, and if you add the oil there will be fat :(

the only actual way to make a "drinkable" shake that is low fat, low carb, high protein, is to go and get some whey and mix it in water.

otherwise unless you want to blend tuna with water, or chicken with water be my guest ;)

bradley
05-06-2003, 04:25 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23091

The above thread has some shake recipes although they might not be low fat/ low carb like you are looking for. You can also try running a search as there have been some shake recipes posted in the past.

I agree in that the only low carb/low fat shake I can think of would protein powder in water. You could use milk but then you would still have some carbs. You really need one or the other if you are using whey protein other than postworkout.

steveo
05-06-2003, 04:49 PM
mmm, raw eggs

AJ_11
05-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Low carb Protein Shake

2 scoops protein powder
1 cup water
12 ice cubes

Mix in blender untill smooth

Viola

steveo
05-06-2003, 05:21 PM
:withstupi
Toss some fruit in there and you have something

Ironman8
05-06-2003, 05:23 PM
My idea shake is

skim milk
natty pb
banana
raw eggs (can't even taste after blended)

Simple but delicious.

GhettoSmurf
05-06-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
My idea shake is

skim milk
natty pb
banana
raw eggs (can't even taste after blended)

Simple but delicious.

im still just a bit iffy about raw eggs, and the chance of salmonella(sp?) just call me old fashioned ;)

bradley
05-06-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

im still just a bit iffy about raw eggs, and the chance of salmonella(sp?) just call me old fashioned ;)

I agree. Even though the chance is like 1 in 10,000 or some crazy number like that. That is still too big of a risk for me after hearing some people's salmonella stories.

The Icon27
05-06-2003, 06:37 PM
There is no way I am putting eggs or tuna in a blender and making a shake that in no way sounds good...but different strokes for different folks I guess. I usually just throw 2 cups of milk, 2 scoops optimum whey protein, and some natty PB...tastes good and is easy and convenient.

Clark
05-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Milk, natty PB, cottage cheese, banana, whey

GhettoSmurf
05-06-2003, 07:36 PM
yeah, my fav. is prolly choc. whey, milk, banana, natty PB, and if im in the mood for a cheat, ill throw in some vanilla ice cream :D lol mmmmm i guess ill save it for a cheat meal

Ironman8
05-06-2003, 08:21 PM
You guys scared me with semonella :eek:. Would eggwhites be better?

AJ_11
05-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Semonella is a bacteria, so it is usually contained on the outside of the egg rather than the inside. When handling eggs always wash hands after touching. If you wash the egg b4 and blend it you should be ok. Egg Whites as I understand if they are pasterized then there is less of chance. But IMO, semonella can be spread easier becasue it is handled by people which may carry the bacteria on them, tranfering into the egg cartons.

Eggs have to be broken, by yours truly.

Berserker
05-06-2003, 10:08 PM
I've read there is less risk of samonalia if you keep the eggs below 42?. I've drank plenty of shakes with eggs. Not saying that means anything.
I don't think egg whites will make a difference. Its still raw egg, just my guess though.
Its tought to make protein shakes or bars without carbs.

Berserker
05-06-2003, 10:09 PM
I did have samonalia years ago, it sucks, sh$t tell you bleed.

AJ_11
05-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Why are you looking for a 0 carb, 0 fat shake anyway. In the end a high protein ( diet low carb and fat ) is a huge mistake. Not only will you lose alot of muscle but you will still have fat on your body. An excess amt of protein gets converted to glocose and get used for energy, which means it target muscles.

And no offence I am looking at your tag line and it says that you wanna be big, in order to be big you should have a proper diet in order.

steveo
05-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Whey Protein
Banana
Ice
Milk
Topped w/ Cinnimon(sp?)

bradley
05-07-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Semonella is a bacteria, so it is usually contained on the outside of the egg rather than the inside. When handling eggs always wash hands after touching. If you wash the egg b4 and blend it you should be ok. Egg Whites as I understand if they are pasterized then there is less of chance. But IMO, semonella can be spread easier becasue it is handled by people which may carry the bacteria on them, tranfering into the egg cartons.

Eggs have to be broken, by yours truly.

Also make sure that you check the egg for any small cracks which can allow the bacteria to get in the egg.

bradley
05-07-2003, 03:46 AM
This was posted by LAM in another thread concerning raw eggs:

all of the proteins are not made available in eggs (primarily the white) until the protein avidin has been deactivated by heating...

if you constantly eat raw eggs you will create a Biotin defeciency for yourself
complete thread:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21214&highlight=raw+eggs

GhettoSmurf
05-07-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
You guys scared me with semonella :eek:. Would eggwhites be better?

ironman, have you ever seen things like "Egg beaters" or somthing similar? basically they are pasturized egg whites that come in a carton. IMO since they are pasturized, those would be safe.

bradley
05-07-2003, 05:52 AM
I am just curious as to what the benefit of adding raw eggs to your protein shake is? I can see many negative aspects of it, so why not just go with another protein source?

GhettoSmurf
05-07-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by bradley
I am just curious as to what the benefit of adding raw eggs to your protein shake is? I can see many negative aspects of it, so why not just go with another protein source?

they must have seen too many Rocky movies ;)

Ironman8
05-07-2003, 07:15 AM
I am just curious as to what the benefit of adding raw eggs to your protein shake is?

I just wanted to add more protein to it. But, I guess I'm switch to a safer source. Thanks for the response guys!

mikey4402
05-07-2003, 09:50 AM
lol at GhettoSmurf!!!!

yeah i dont know about makeing these shakes with eggs and tuna and cow testicals and whale sperm, sounds like your preparing for fear factor...

if your going to add something add fresh fruit or peanut butter somthing that will make it taste better and give you somthing different to drink instead of just plain whey.

Berserker
05-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Why are you looking for a 0 carb, 0 fat shake anyway. In the end a high protein ( diet low carb and fat ) is a huge mistake. Not only will you lose alot of muscle but you will still have fat on your body. An excess amt of protein gets converted to glocose and get used for energy, which means it target muscles.

And no offence I am looking at your tag line and it says that you wanna be big, in order to be big you should have a proper diet in order.
I see no problem with a low car biet diet. CKD, TKD.
Its wanna be big not wanna be fat, lots of people get that confused though

Berserker
05-07-2003, 10:45 AM
I want to save my whey. So that leaves milk, pb and eggs. I add a little oats, but you can only add so many and not much protein.

Powder eggs are alright but hard to get.

bradley
05-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Berserker

I see no problem with a low car biet diet. CKD, TKD.
Its wanna be big not wanna be fat, lots of people get that confused though

What I think he was implying was that you need fats in your diet regardless of what diet you are following.

A low carb diet like the TKD or CKd still requires fat.

Berserker
05-07-2003, 02:26 PM
I think the orginal post said low carb and fat, which I think is good. Not zero but low.

bradley
05-07-2003, 02:37 PM
I think the orginal post said low carb and fat, which I think is good. Not zero but low.

My apologies if I read the post wrong. All in all if you are getting adequate protein and EFA's then it really doesn't matter where the rest of your cals come from.

ChrisH
05-07-2003, 03:52 PM
How the hell do you mix oatmeal into a shake?? Are you guys not talking about normal oats? I tried it once, blended it, managed to gulp it down but it feels bad to swallow.

GhettoSmurf
05-07-2003, 04:50 PM
i use normal oats. they mix fine to me. makes the shake thick and MMM MMM good! :D

GhettoSmurf
05-07-2003, 04:50 PM
i use normal oats. they mix fine to me. makes the shake thick and MMM MMM good! :D are you blending them long enough?

Berserker
05-07-2003, 05:00 PM
It depends how much you put in there. I usually end up with pb mix of oats at the bottom which I more eat then drink. But its alright.

Allie
05-07-2003, 05:11 PM
I've read there is less risk of samonalia if you keep the eggs below 42?. I've drank plenty of shakes with eggs. Not saying that means anything.
I don't think egg whites will make a difference. Its still raw egg, just my guess though.
Its tought to make protein shakes or bars without carbs.

When I studied the poultry industry as a section in my intro animal science class. It was specifically outlined that 1 out of every 3 chickens naturally carries samonalia. Chickens really arn't the cleanest animals, and lack a "real" tongue like other that is used for hygien purposes. So the meat as well as the eggs could be contaminated naturally from the lack of cleanliness of the animals.