PDA

View Full Version : CKD vs. Low Cal diet

TiGeR AK
05-07-2003, 01:19 AM
1. What do you feel is the quicker way of losing fat.. CKD or Cutting Calories?

2. Does CKD really save more muscle mass than Cutting cals?

I have been on CKD for about 6 weeks, and I'm losing fat and it's cool.. it just seems like it's going at a snails pace.

But i'm afraid to try cutting calories because i don't want to lose more muscle mass than i need to.

bradley
05-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by TiGeR AK
1. What do you feel is the quicker way of losing fat.. CKD or Cutting Calories?

Well I think both deal with the amount of calories that you consume so I really don't believe one to be that superior to the other. The CKD does suppress appetites in some individuals which can make the diet easier to stick with. The carb loads that are associated with a CKD are also a plus that comes along with the diet, but periodic refeeds while performing a more balanced diet would be another approach.

2. Does CKD really save more muscle mass than Cutting cals?

The adaptations to ketosis that the body goes through does decrease the body's glucose requirements which causes the body to convert less protein into glucose.

There are also adaptations in the kidneys to prevent ammonia loss due to ketosis. Since the production of ammonia requires nitrogen these adaptations to prevent ammonia loss will also spare nitrogen.

Low carbohydrate diets can also affect T3 levels in the body which plays a role in protein synthesis.

I have been on CKD for about 6 weeks, and I'm losing fat and it's cool.. it just seems like it's going at a snails pace.

But i'm afraid to try cutting calories because i don't want to lose more muscle mass than i need to.

If you are losing a small amount each week then I would stick with it. Takes a while to gain weight so granted it will take some time to lose it. Approximately how much are you losing each week?

Ironman8
05-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Also, it depends for what people think is easier. I tried CKD, but I failed after one week. I just simply cut cals and I loss alot fat with minimal muscle loss.

GhettoSmurf
05-07-2003, 09:36 AM
it all basically comes down to the fact that different things work better for some people, and other things work better for others.

TiGeR AK
05-07-2003, 03:13 PM
i dont really go by the scale..

i just use a mirror and my pants to gauge whether or not i'm losing weight. The fat loss seemed to be rapid at first.. and now I feel as though i am just staying the same... but i'll keep with it.

how long is the usual period to stay on a ckd diet and see good results? I'm thinking of trying it for 12 weeks (7th week so far)

SoulOfKoRea
05-07-2003, 03:44 PM
drop more cals(gradually) if you're staying the same

bradley
05-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by TiGeR AK
i dont really go by the scale..

i just use a mirror and my pants to gauge whether or not i'm losing weight. The fat loss seemed to be rapid at first.. and now I feel as though i am just staying the same... but i'll keep with it.

how long is the usual period to stay on a ckd diet and see good results? I'm thinking of trying it for 12 weeks (7th week so far)

Well the initial weight loss would be due to water and glycogen loss. Going by the mirror is a good thing but I would at least check the scale every week or so to judge progress. I would shoot to lose about a pound a week and if you are not then you need to decrease cals by a small amount. I would recommend weighing first thing in the morning and at the same time each week.

After 7 weeks you should see some weight loss.