PDA

View Full Version : risks of raw potatoes?

MrWebb78
05-07-2003, 10:08 AM
when in a hurry, ive occasionally grabbed a potato and just ate it on the run, raw, uncooked. however, and i hate to rely on this since 99% of the population is stupid, but ive heard from a few differant people that eating raw potatoes is bad, due to the risk of worms. anyone know any truth or myth behind this?

ive done a couple searches online and didnt find a thing, and im pretty convinced its false, but curiosity has gotten the best of me.

Berserker
05-07-2003, 10:38 AM
I've never heard anything, but that doesn't mean anything. I really can't imagine eatin gone. I've taken bites, and stopped there. You are dedicated, or touched.

Manveet
05-07-2003, 11:33 AM
I doubt that is true.

We eat plenty of raw veggies and fruits, if it's a special case with potatoes I've never heard of it. The only complications I can see from eating raw potatoes is possible digestive problems.

GhettoSmurf
05-07-2003, 12:19 PM
i agree with manveet, also i dont have a 100%-backed up with studies information, IMO eating a raw potatoe would be the same as eating any other raw vegtable. just make sure it gets washed, and i dont see any real problem with it.

MrWebb78
05-07-2003, 12:36 PM
sounds fair enough, its not a regular habit anyways, just when on the run. thanks fellas

bradley
05-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Found this on a vegetarian site:

In ancient times the primary sources of starch were root vegetables and tubers such as raw yams and potatoes , and high-starch nuts such as acorns and chestnuts. The importance of root vegetables was recognized by Dr. Norman Walker, the famous nutritionist, who emphasized that they are rich in essential minerals and vitamins. In his book, "Diet and Salad", he recommended that we include raw potatoes, yams, parsnips, rutabagas and turnips in our diet by grinding, grating or chopping them and adding to salads. Most people don't find these raw starch foods appetizing.
site: http://www.newveg.av.org/staffoflife.htm

I think the main danger from eating raw potatoes would be if you didn't wash them properly.

Now you can wash your raw potatoes down with a carton of egg beater:p

GonePostal
05-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Your a beast....

raniali
05-07-2003, 02:21 PM
actually if u let it dissolve in ur mouth, it turns into sugar.

Ironman8
05-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Just for some added info, when you leave the skin on the potatoe, there is some added fiber and nutrients in it :)

GhettoSmurf
05-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Just for some added info, when you leave the skin on the potatoe, there is some added fiber and nutrients in it :)

i think that goes for almost every fruit/vegtable with skin. ive even heard that the crust of the bread is the healthiest part (has the most nutrients). just a couple tips ;) so in other words, leave the skin-on. unless its chicken or somthing :p

MrWebb78
05-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by raniali
actually if u let it dissolve in ur mouth, it turns into sugar.

yeah well if im in your mouth.....jesus im sorry shoulda saved this for PM.

anyways thanks guys for the info, i knew i couldnt trust the general population, or army of morons as i call them.

and i couldnt eat the skin, thats just gross:)

restless
05-08-2003, 12:25 AM
They might have a high anti nutrient content, like beans and gains that need to be cooked in order to neutralize it's effects. Not sure though, so I'll check it out later when I have the time.

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
ive even heard that the crust of the bread is the healthiest part (has the most nutrients).

Cool, I never knew the crust has more nutrients also! I'll keep that in mind.

raniali
05-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

i think that goes for almost every fruit/vegtable with skin. ive even heard that the crust of the bread is the healthiest part (has the most nutrients). just a couple tips ;) so in other words, leave the skin-on. unless its chicken or somthing :p

u know, i think we have all heard this but i have been wondering lately whether that is an old-wives' tale or not. i mean, the crust only forms during the baking process and is basically the same components of the dough as the "bread" itself. this part of the dough has been exposed to more heat and therefore changes color and texture ... so how would it actually contain more nutrients????

raniali
05-08-2003, 11:16 AM
webbie -- very tactful.
wank :p

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by raniali

u know, i think we have all heard this but i have been wondering lately whether that is an old-wives' tale or not. i mean, the crust only forms during the baking process and is basically the same components of the dough as the "bread" itself. this part of the dough has been exposed to more heat and therefore changes color and texture ... so how would it actually contain more nutrients????

like i said, thats just what ive heard. and i mean either way, im going to eat the crust weather it is just as good or better then the bread itself.

GonePostal
05-08-2003, 11:27 AM
It does not have more nutrients...

Shankerr
05-08-2003, 11:28 AM
I think probably the biggest risk of eating raw potatoes is the fact that doing so places a nasty tasting object into your mouth.