PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Diet

RikoRed
05-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Hi!! Are there any fellow vegetarians out there, what does your diet normally consist of??

I define veggie as someone who doesnŽt eat fish or chicken, but eats dairy products eg eggs.

Also, I dont look fat but iŽd say i have whats perhaps best described as a skinny mans gut, how can i get rid of this without losing too much weight and lookin too skinny!!

TheGimp
05-07-2003, 01:27 PM
Hey,

Im on a vegetarian diet, almost vegan due to my dislike of eggs and milk. I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement but it's working for me at the moment and I never claimed to have put much thought into it in the first place :) With that in mind the kind of meals I have are:

Baked beans on wholemeal bread
Natural peanutbutter on wholemeal bread
Noodles or pasta with tofu or quorn
Soya yoghurt
Cereal and soya milk

5 or 6 of those a day. This is for bulking btw, for cutting I'd just have smaller portion sizes and eat a lot more (as in more than none) fruit and veg.

Look forward to comments

hemants
05-07-2003, 01:27 PM
I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian and here's a typical day for me:

7:00am Shake - 1 cup skim milk, 1 tbsp natural pb, 1 tbsp oat bran, 1 teaspoon flax seeds, 1/2 cup of black/blue/raspberries, 2 scoops of whey protein

10:00am egg-cheese-tomato on whole wheat toast

12:00 noon 1 carton skim milk and some vegetarian crap from the food court

3pm skim latte

7pm salad with a veggie dinner usually including lentils or tofu or veggie ground (my wife makes a great veggie shepphard's pie)

9:00pm cottage cheese and berries

9:00pm if post workout : 1 cup skim milk, 2 scoops whey, 1 tbsp corn syrup

This is pretty much a cutting diet. When I am trying to gain muscle I start 1 litre of soy milk with lunch and sip it through the afternoon.

Basic strategy for losing the gut:

1. cut out simple carbs
2. cut down carbs overall and replace with protein and healthy fats
3. weight train heavy
4. small caloric defecit (100-200 calories below maintenance).

I lost 20 lbs on this plan and gained strength at the same time.

When I started I could barely do a chinup now I can do 3 sets of three.

Welcome aboard and don't be discouraged by the meat lovers. What did you expect to find on a bodybuilding site? LOL.

(also, check out www.vegsource.com under atheletes)

Ironman8
05-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Try searching for some topics by Edge Crusher. I think he posted his vegetarian diet once, which is a pretty good one.

bradley
05-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Try searching for some topics by Edge Crusher. I think he posted his vegetarian diet once, which is a pretty good one.

His would be a little different seeing as that he is a vegan and not a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

MrWebb78
05-08-2003, 09:41 AM
just so you know, vegetarians live an average of 10 years less than meat eaters.

Berserker
05-08-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by hemants

2. cut down carbs overall and replace with protein and healthy fats

How do do this? Isn't the carb ratio to protein alot higher in plants? I've never looked into, and know nothing aboy soy. Think more about beans, rice and oats. To me it seems like you have to get a boatload of carbs to get enough protein.

For the record I am pro vegitarian. What would the wolves eat if there were no sheep?

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Berserker

How do do this? Isn't the carb ratio to protein alot higher in plants? I've never looked into, and know nothing aboy soy. Think more about beans, rice and oats. To me it seems like you have to get a boatload of carbs to get enough protein.

i agree i dont get it either. i mean, some vegetarians eat eggs and dairy, which help. but i dont get how others hat dont even eat those get their protein.

my friend (who is a vegetarian) says he does eat eggs and cheese, but he also said to get protein he eats protein bars.

TheGimp
05-08-2003, 10:18 AM
MrWebb78: http://www.llu.edu/news/today/july2601/llu.html with particular reference to:
Vegetarian Adventist men surviving to age 30, according to Dr. Fraser, have a life expectancy of 83.3 years and vegetarian women 85.7 years—a remarkable addition of 9.5 and 6.1 years respectively as compared to the life expectancies of other Californians.

With meat substitutes like tofu, Quorn and seitan its easy enough to get protein, but (as you say) it also involves more carbs, less fat and more fibre. Of course its not as effective as eating meat, but then that's not the only motivation here. And you could always chug on some whey or soy shakes

Berserker
05-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Whey comes from animals too.

TheGimp
05-08-2003, 10:27 AM
I don't do shakes myself, but I was under the impression that you could get vegetarian whey. In any case there's always soy

Berserker
05-08-2003, 10:47 AM
On a lighter note, imagine if we turned all the pigs chickens and cows loose to live in the wild. We would have to get crop permits to shoot the cows cause there eating all the soy and grain.
Not to mention hitting them with your car. What does PETA want us to do with them? Pets?

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Berserker
On a lighter note, imagine if we turned all the pigs chickens and cows loose to live in the wild. We would have to get crop permits to shoot the cows cause there eating all the soy and grain.
Not to mention hitting them with your car. What does PETA want us to do with them? Pets?

lol. my friend actually has a pet goat ;)

i like the way your mind works berserker.

once my science teacher put it this way (he is the type of guy that loves meat): "i feel that the vegetarians should stop saying its unfair to kill and eat animals. i mean, when i go deer hunting, the deer has the chance to run away. does the broccoli or cauliflower have a chance to run away from the vegetarian? do they!!??" ;)

TheGimp
05-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Personally, I don't care about animal welfare, provided people don't go out of their way to abuse them ( :hump: ), and I certainly wouldn't dream of trying to dissuade you from eating them. Each to their own.

MrWebb78
05-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by TheGimp
MrWebb78: http://www.llu.edu/news/today/july2601/llu.html with particular reference to:

With meat substitutes like tofu, Quorn and seitan its easy enough to get protein, but (as you say) it also involves more carbs, less fat and more fibre. Of course its not as effective as eating meat, but then that's not the only motivation here. And you could always chug on some whey or soy shakes

dude that is a cult. obviously they will report such biased results....it may just recruit you.

im hardly going to allow one subjective website persuade what has been proven for the past 20 years

TheGimp
05-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Feel free to post evidence backing up your claim.

I concede that their extended life expectancy is probably only in part due to their vegetarian diet and that factors such as their not smoking and considerably more exercise than the average person also contribute.

MrWebb78
05-08-2003, 01:15 PM
i dont feel the need to search the web for evidence, ive done my research, you do yours.

im not trying to spark a big debate. just trying to state a small little known fact since so many people choose to be vegetarian for "health" reasons.

TheGimp
05-08-2003, 01:19 PM
I did do my research, as I figured there might be some truth in your statement despite the fact I'd never heard anything of the ilk. That's how I found that website in the first place.

I want people who read this forum to be informed. I don't care whether they are vegetarian or not, provided they have access to all the information they need to make their decision.

bradley
05-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

i agree i dont get it either. i mean, some vegetarians eat eggs and dairy, which help. but i dont get how others hat dont even eat those get their protein.

There are different types of vegetarians

Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products (some eat fish as well I believe) and then you have vegans that eat only plants.

If you are a lacto-ovo veg. then cutting down carbs would be easy but more challenging for a vegan.

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
once my science teacher put it this way (he is the type of guy that loves meat): "i feel that the vegetarians should stop saying its unfair to kill and eat animals. i mean, when i go deer hunting, the deer has the chance to run away. does the broccoli or cauliflower have a chance to run away from the vegetarian? do they!!??" ;)

LMAO!! GhettoSmurf's science teacher= cool :D

RikoRed
05-09-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by MrWebb78
just so you know, vegetarians live an average of 10 years less than meat eaters.

And the source of that survey??

hemants
05-12-2003, 07:07 AM
"Searched the web for vegetarian heart health. Results 1 - 10 of about 218,000. Search took 0.44 seconds.

Nuff said.