PDA

View Full Version : one rep max

runt
05-07-2003, 11:41 AM
My trainer is pushing me to do one rep maxes for squats and deads lifts but he never tells me why. Is it beneficial to periodically do one rep maxes? Or ..... does he have an alterior motive, like seeing if I'm good enough to lift for his power lifting team? Seriously, are there benifits to one rep maxes?

MrWebb78
05-07-2003, 10:53 PM
if you notice the people who do westside here, they max every week, for all 3 main lifts, bench, deads, squats. wokring in low reps and hitting a one rep max weekly. im not going to attempt to explain how it helps, but it certainly does. my experience of 4 months using this method was about a 60 lb increase on bench, 90 lb increase on deads(but i had never done deads before), and about an 80 lb increase on squats.

Xg74
05-07-2003, 11:23 PM
If you are looking to gain weight, it really won't do much for you. It can, if used properly, help to increase strength though.

tjwes
05-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Most of the really good powerlifters I know max out in a contest only far exceeding their gym lifts.They do sets with low reps but never or very seldom max-out.Are you a powerlifter and what are your goals?

Xg74
05-08-2003, 07:01 PM
Actually, the really good powerlifters max every week. ;) WSB baby! ;)

PowerManDL
05-08-2003, 07:23 PM
Contrary to popular belief, not ALL powerlifters lift Westside, and not all max every week.

There's some very good PLers that don't, and are still quite strong.

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Xg74
Actually, the really good powerlifters max every week

Guess I'm not a really good powerlifter :cry:

big calvin
05-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Xg74
Actually, the really good powerlifters max every week. ;) WSB baby! ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

runt
05-09-2003, 10:57 AM
I'm not a power lifter but it's becoming very attractive to me. I have a really hard time gaining mass but not such a hard time going up in the wieght I lift. I find MrWebb's comments very interesting, I don't think there will be any harm in trying it for 6 months or so. My trainer has recommended maxing out once a month or so.

As far as my goals, I reached my latest goal of 160 lbs about 6 weeks ago and have been cutting for summer and I'm down to about 153, 13% bf so I'm looking for a new goal and power lifting might provide one.

Thanks all for your help.

benchmonster
05-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Why exactly is a 160 lb person "cutting"? I will never understand this.

Maxing every week works. I have done it. But you don't max the same exercise every week.

That being said, there are lots of ways to get strong, Westside is not the only one out there, but it certainly works very well. Sometimes you have to throw a lot of spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks. I have yet to find someone tho, that uses the WSB method properly that has not had great increases in strength and usually in size too.

Maxing is the only way to know where you are at strength wise tho. Any other way is just guessing.

B.

runt
05-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by benchmonster
Why exactly is a 160 lb person "cutting"? I will never understand this.
B.

5' 7", small build, approaching 16% bf, looking at buying a whole new wardrobe to acommadate increased girth, nasty pot belly, with summer on the way. I only lost 7 lbs and I'll be back to bulking soon. Good question though.

Thanks for the rest of your response. I think that's what I'll do - max on squats one week then dead lifts the next, then bench, etc. That way I'll only max any single lift once a month or so.

shredder
05-11-2003, 03:28 PM
i gained some size on westside but my bench didint go anywhere.
and i thouht strengthening the triceps where suposed to help,well i got mine alot of stronger and it didnt do ****.