PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil in plastic bottle useless???

Behemoth
05-07-2003, 05:38 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21214&highlight=raw+eggs

In the very last post in this thread Restless says that Olive Oil in a bottle is basically usless. Does this mean I have to buy much more expensive olive oil that comes in a glass bottle and can't buy the cheap stuff in plastic???

Ironman8
05-07-2003, 06:02 PM
That's what I buy, but I don't know if the one in the plastic bottle is useless or not.

bradley
05-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Tinted glass, porcelain, or stainless steel are the best materials for containers; oil should never be stored in plastic or in reactive metals. Stay away from plastic containers as the oil can absorb PVCs.

Taken from the following site:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/OliveOil.htm

Behemoth
05-07-2003, 06:47 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

So is the consensus that my olive oil is useless and I'm just as good sucking down pure tras-fatty acids?:p

NO2
05-07-2003, 07:27 PM
well i use the olive oil im the bottle..i never herd of olive oil in plastic bottles.....

i cook with olive oil.. think like steak but i herd its not healthy.. why???

its better than frying with regular oil

bradley
05-08-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by NO2
well i use the olive oil im the bottle..i never herd of olive oil in plastic bottles.....

i cook with olive oil.. think like steak but i herd its not healthy.. why???

its better than frying with regular oil

Here is something I ran across that might be of interest to you. Also answers your question about why you should not fry foods using olive oil.

http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/hbaco.htm

bradley
05-08-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth
:eek: :eek: :eek:

So is the consensus that my olive oil is useless and I'm just as good sucking down pure tras-fatty acids?:p

I wouldn't think it was that bad. If you have some left you might just want to tranfer it to a glass bottle of some sort and then use it up. I don't think you will spontaneously combust or anything if you continue to use it, but next time I would go with the glass container. If it really bothers you just toss it out and get some more:)

Berserker
05-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Bradley-Do use olive oil for anything? I like to fry chicken in. According that article butter or lard is better for you. The guy was actually against frying foods completely. I don't think frying is that bad for. You could cook low in nothing if you wanted to. I can't see that being a big difference then baking it.

Shankerr
05-08-2003, 11:35 AM
I didn't even know you could get olive oil in plastic, I've only ever seen it in glass :boring:

On the other hand, theres probably a good reason why extremely reactive metals are stored in oil... ie. to prevent them from reacting with their surroundings, which would kinf of negate what they are trying to say....

raniali
05-08-2003, 11:55 AM
he also goes on to state that he doesn't believe in using fish oils and cla.

http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/summary_oils.htm

we are all going to die one day, somehow.

Shankerr
05-08-2003, 12:04 PM
I agree, may as well enjoy it while you can

bradley
05-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
Bradley-Do use olive oil for anything? I like to fry chicken in. According that article butter or lard is better for you. The guy was actually against frying foods completely. I don't think frying is that bad for. You could cook low in nothing if you wanted to. I can't see that being a big difference then baking it.

I personally just use olive oil as a supplemental oil, and don't really use it for cooking. I also don't eat fried foods just because of the fact that fried foods usually contain a lot of unecessary fat and carbohydrates. Frying food does add considerably more calories compared to baking.

Rob Faigin does recommend using olive to cook with. Here is a quote from his book Natural Hormonal Enhancement:

Olive oil, due to its high monounsaturated content, is more resistant than canola oil to unhealthy free-radical formation caused by heat induced oxidation. Therefore, olive oil is preferable for cooking

Although I am not for sure if when he says cooking he is including frying as well. Frying is done at such a high temperature as compared to baking.

Behemoth
05-08-2003, 02:56 PM
lol at Raniali.

Now I'm straight up confused. For a guy that says fish oils and CLA are bad, should I trust him. I doubt it.

bradley
05-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth
lol at Raniali.

Now I'm straight up confused. For a guy that says fish oils and CLA are bad, should I trust him. I doubt it.

What he said really doesn't have anything to do with what you should store olive oil in.

the doc
05-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Udo is trying to sell a product... remember that.

bradley
05-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by raniali
he also goes on to state that he doesn't believe in using fish oils and cla.

http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/summary_oils.htm

we are all going to die one day, somehow.

Although I do not agree with everything he says he does make good points in some of his arguments. The reason he doesn't use fish oil is because he says that it contains pollutants which really isn't an issue seeing as how the pollutants are removed from the oil. He is also an advocate of using oils that are balanced in omega-3 and omega-6 content, but most people get plenty of omega 6's from their diet.

I am sure that heating oil up to the temperature required for frying will cause damage to any oil. To what extent I am not for sure.

AJ_11
05-08-2003, 09:58 PM
As I understand saturates are more stable for cooking. another you can do is fry things on low. But I never use olive oil to fry anymore. Coconut oil I guess is an excellent source to fry with, for a suggestion

kook
05-08-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by the doc
Udo is trying to sell a product... remember that.

exactly what i was about to say udo=sell some oils with his perfect ratio... and then says cla is no good......why?????because someone else has a patent on the stuff that works(tonalin) why would he push it if he's gonna have to pay someone else in the process... same with olive oil.. he just wants to sell you some other oils

and he goes on to say to cook in hard fat such as lard and butter.. i dont konw about you but im not cookin in that ****

screw him...

screw everything

AJ_11
05-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by kook

screw him...

screw everything

I am down with dat. Although his oil does taste good. mmmmmm pure fat.

Saint Patrick
05-09-2003, 04:00 AM
Holy crap. I've been using Olive Oil from a plastic container for like the last year. I'll start buying glass bottles from now on.

the doc
05-09-2003, 09:54 AM
i posted a detailed explanation of what happens to oils (triglycerides) during heating.

Udo makes some good points but in general he is a salesman making a sales pitch... always keep that in mind

the doc
05-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick
Holy crap. I've been using Olive Oil from a plastic container for like the last year. I'll start buying glass bottles from now on.

actually the large cans work quite nicely, they are effective at blocking light and oils (not being acidic) do not eat away at the can

regardless, the italians and other mediterraneans have been using olive oil for centuries and have reaped its benefits. If you notice they make extensive use of raw extra virgin olive oil as opposed to using it for frying

raniali
05-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
As I understand saturates are more stable for cooking. another you can do is fry things on low. But I never use olive oil to fry anymore. Coconut oil I guess is an excellent source to fry with, for a suggestion

coconut oil i think is ideal in many aspects - but is UBER-expensive!
http://www.healthytraditions.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TT&Category_Code=VCNO

restless
05-09-2003, 12:18 PM
I said useless in the sense that as plastic bottles are air permeable fatty acids will oxide and become useless. This is obviously a gradual process and depends on how long it's stored. Light will also alter it.

AJ_11
05-09-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by raniali

coconut oil i think is ideal in many aspects - but is UBER-expensive!
http://www.healthytraditions.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TT&Category_Code=VCNO

Man those people are expensive, I have seen it for cheaper than that.

http://www.omeganutrition.com/products-gourmet-coconut.php

I think that those prices are even in Canadian.

raniali
05-09-2003, 02:41 PM
check out this site: http://www.coconutoil-online.com/index.html

i think it will bring to light some of the differences in coconut oil pricing.

(btw - i just ordered me some cuz this is something i have been wanting to get a hold of for awhile -- and it's a payday today.)

Behemoth
05-09-2003, 04:50 PM
Well if the olive oil is kept in a dark place, how long would you gamble it's good for before becoming too poor to really want to use?

restless
05-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Unfortunatelly I have no ideia at what rate it loses it's qualities under less than ideial storage conditions. Can't you get it in glass?

galileo
05-09-2003, 05:32 PM
I think Udo is a whack-job.

SoulOfKoRea
05-09-2003, 05:55 PM
ok, I use olive oil from a big glass container, but my mom puts it into a smaller cleaned out Aunt Jemima syrup bottle :), is that bad?

bradley
05-10-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
ok, I use olive oil from a big glass container, but my mom puts it into a smaller cleaned out Aunt Jemima syrup bottle :), is that bad?

I am guessing she uses it for cooking to make it easier to poor. Although as restless stated it depends on how long the olive oil has been in there and the amount of heat and light it has been exposed to, but I would just start using a glass or porcelin container, just to be on the safe side.

amfipyros
05-14-2003, 07:14 PM
All I keep hearing is that olive oil is the most resistant oil to heat oxidation. I say if you're gonna fry anything fry it in olive oil.