PDA

View Full Version : bought a book

Gettingthere
05-07-2003, 05:39 PM
I recently purchased book from Mens health and their main emphasis is on carbs. According to them, carbs are just as important if not more important than protein, especially after a workout.
I used to swear by protein only ...no carbs...but now that Im trying this, I must say, ive actually lost some fat and still retained my strength, im very pleased with this. Got on the scale yesterday and went from 183 to 179.5 in 10 days. I was very worried about losing muscle as well, but my strength is still the same.
Im definitly trying to get "cut up" for summer, so ive recently added creatine to my regime.
Anyways, anyone here give me any tips as to what has worked for them in terms of diet?, Im eating mostly non fat yogurt, tuna, some fruit and ham sandwiches, oh and chicken breasts too. Any input would be cool :cool:

Ironman8
05-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Yes, carbs are very important when lifting.

If you want some examples of what foods people here usually buy, here is a good list

list (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368&highlight=grocery+list)

Also, try to get in some healthy fats, like fish oil or flax supplements.

bradley
05-07-2003, 06:24 PM
You need to have adequate protein and essential fatty acids in your diet as well. I would recommend 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight and approximately 25-30% of calories from fat. Most of the 25-30% coming in the form of healthy fats such as fish oil, olive oil, flax oil, etc.

According to them, carbs are just as important if not more important than protein, especially after a workout.

I agree that carbs are beneficial postworkout to help refill muscle glycogen after training, but as far as carbs being more important than protien and fats, I have to disagree. The body requires fat and protein, hence the term essential amino acid and essential fatty acid. Have you ever heard of an essential carbohydrate?

Anyways, anyone here give me any tips as to what has worked for them in terms of diet?, Im eating mostly non fat yogurt, tuna, some fruit and ham sandwiches, oh and chicken breasts too. Any input would be cool

Sounds like you are on the right track. I mentioned some things above that I think would be beneficial and the grocery list that ironman8 posted should help you get an idea of what others eat on a day to day basis.

Shankerr
05-08-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Gettingthere
According to them, carbs are just as important if not more important than protein, especially after a workout.
I used to swear by protein only ...no carbs...but now that Im trying this, I must say, ive actually lost some fat and still retained my strength, im very pleased with this. Got on the scale yesterday and went from 183 to 179.5 in 10 days. I was very worried about losing muscle as well, but my strength is still the same.

Imagine that.....................

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Heh heh, exaclty what I was thinking Shankerr.

greekboy80
05-09-2003, 09:17 AM
gettingthere...what was the book? TAP? how is it, ive been cutting on a CKD since JAnuary, looking for somthing diffrent!

bradley
05-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by greekboy80
gettingthere...what was the book? TAP? how is it, ive been cutting on a CKD since JAnuary, looking for somthing diffrent!

The Testosterone Advantage Program advocates getting in 1g or protein per pound of bw and then dividing the rest of your daily cals evenly between carbs and fats. Pretty good read if you are looking to try something different. Kind of like an isocaloric diet.

Ironman8
05-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Also, adding to what Bradley said, you can keep track of how much fat, protein, and carbs add to your calories at fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com)