PDA

View Full Version : Tankette's Journal

Pages : [1] 2

Tankette
05-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Well I guess I'll start w/ a little background info:

I'm 24 years old, 5'3", 105 lbs, and female.

Current Goal: Gain ~10 more lbs. muscle.

A bit of History:

I played sports for 3 years in high school and during that time weighed 115-120 lbs. I quit playing sports my senior year and quit working out regularly. I dropped down to 100 lbs which is pretty much what I weigh when I eat normally and don't excercise. However, when I don't work out, common adjectives that people use to describe me are skinny and/or scrawny. I consider myself attractive, but anyone who has ever been described that way, male or female, understands how those words are anything but compliments. I have since then worked out off and on, but I've never been serious enough about it to make any significant weight gains.

A few months ago, I decided to go for it. I began working out and eating a bit more healthy. Both my work out regimen and my diet have changed as I have learned more about them. My biggest hurdle was to eat enough calories. Because of this, I have only gained about 5 lbs of muscle since I began (but gained no fat). I am now at ~2600-2700 calories per day. ~25-30% fat(~75 g), ~50-55% carbs (~400 g), and ~ 20% protein (~120 g). I'll try this for a week or so and see how it goes. I'd be happy to hear any constructive criticism that you have to offer.

* I currently work out at home, so I am limited to a weight bench and an eliptical cardio machine. Oh, and I have no one to spot me and don't have a smith nor a rack, so that kind of limits the amount of weight I can safely use on a couple of exercises.

My current work out routine:

Monday: off
Tuesday: chin ups (unweighted) 10/8/6
barbell curl 45x10/50x8/50x6
reverse barbell curl 30x10/35x8/35x6
dumbell curl 20x10/20x8/drop set 25/20x6
bent over row 20x10/20x8/25x6
wrist curl 15x10/20x8/25x6
reverse wrist curl 5x10/10x8/15x6
lateral raise 5x10/10x8/10x6
abs 50 crunches, 50 reverse crunches, 50 side crunches
Wednesday: off / 45 min cardio
standing calf raises 1 leg + 30 lbs (3 sets of 25, straight/ toe in/ toe out)
Thursday: bench 65x10/70x8/75x6
incline 55x10/60x8/65x6
military press 45x10/50x8/55x6
fly curls 15x10/20x8/20x6
DB tricep extensions 10x10/drop set 10/15x8/15x6
BB tricep extensions 10x30/10x35/10x40
weighted dips (bench/chair + DB) 25x10/30x8/35x6
Friday: off / 45 min cardio
standing calf raises 1 leg + 30 lbs (3 setsof 25, straight/
toe in/ toe out)
Saturday: squats - 75x20/75x20/75x20
(75lbs is as much as I feel comfortable lifting onto and off of my shoulders by myself.)
DB lunges - 30x20/40x20/40x20
SLDL - 75x20/75x20/75x20
(Way too easy, need to fix that.)
standing calf raises 1 leg + 30 lbs (3 sets of 25 straight/toe in/ toe out)
Sunday: off / 45 min cardio

Average daily meals: (2673 cal, ~690 fat, ~1415 carb, ~122 prot)

6:00 - total w/skim milk + banana + 1 TBSP olive oil
8:00 - egg + cantaloupe
10:00 - natty PB + banana sandwich on whole wheat w/ 1% milk
12:00 - plain oatmeal w/1% milk and strawberries
2:00 - turkey + lettuce sandwich on whole wheat
4:00 - cream of wheat
6:00 - post work out whey protein + 1TBSP honey (no honey on off days)
8:00 - sweet potato + broccoli + 1TBSP olive oil
10:00 - V8

Snacks between meals include 1 cup dry wheat chex and an orange.

Supplements:

Whey
Flax oil
biotin
glutamine
multivitamin

I'd love any advice or comments that anyone has to offer. I am definitely a work in progress.

MrWebb78
05-07-2003, 10:51 PM
diet looks solid,finally someone who isnt afraid of carbs.

my only advice would be to drop the glutamine and save your money, lots of different thoughts on this supp. but im convinced its healthy, but not necessary.

my other advice would be to join a gym:) access to more equipment, sounds like you could be pushing your body to do more if you had the equipment.

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 05:04 AM
good luck with the journal! and welcome to WBB

ohyeah... and...

:spam:

mixta
05-08-2003, 06:40 AM
Good luck with your goals Tankette!

:spam:

Tankette
05-08-2003, 06:57 AM
:) Thanks all! And thank you, Webb, for the feedback. You're right about glutamine...It is expensive, and I might have to drop it after I finish up what little I have left due to that reason alone. And I definitely plan to join a gym...in 14 days and counting. As soon as school gets out, I'll have a lot more time, and I can't wait to see how far I can push myself.:strong:

Mik
05-08-2003, 07:14 AM
Welcome to the boards Tankette. Your diet looks solid, some impressive lifts as well. I would agree with Webb on the Glutamine. I personally have never felt any benefit from it.

Good luck with your goals!

Tankette
05-08-2003, 07:52 AM
Thanks Mik...Quick question for all, I've read a few posts on the forums stating the need for at least 8-9 hours of sleep per night to make good gains. I haven't been tired, but I've only been getting about 5. Sometimes it seems like there just aren't enough hours in the day. Does any one have any strong opinions on the subject?

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 07:54 AM
i dont know if you NEED 8-9 hours or else you wont make gains. but i mean i like to try to get 6-8 hours just so i can have some energy throughout the day. i mean, if you ever see any pics of aka23 and then see how much sleep he's been getting, you will see that sleep doesnt play an enormous factor IMO. but i think it does help.

Mik
05-08-2003, 07:55 AM
I personally feel if I get less than 7 or 8, I may not feel tired but I burn out quick and my training starts to slip. Maybe that's just me but I would agree with the studies that promote 8 hrs or so of quality zzzzs.

Tankette
05-08-2003, 08:37 AM
I'll have to work on those sleeping habits.

BTW, Where do you go to see pics? Do people post them on this site? I'd love to place names w/faces (or bodies as it may be).;)

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 08:47 AM
quite a few people put their pictures in thier journals. also, there is a Member Pics section of the boards as well.

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 08:49 AM
heres the link to the Members Pic forum:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=43

MrWebb78
05-08-2003, 09:27 AM
your body will tell you when you arent getting enough rest. are you always too busy to have the occasional afternoon nap? i depend on my nap time, it is a necessity.

as for the pictures, check the members pic forum first like suggested, and there are several journals with pictures, the only problem is that most journals are so many pages that it takes forever to scroll through it to find the pics.

Tankette
05-08-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info. everyone, and the link, Ghetto.

aka23
05-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Tankette
Thanks Mik...Quick question for all, I've read a few posts on the forums stating the need for at least 8-9 hours of sleep per night to make good gains. I haven't been tired, but I've only been getting about 5. Sometimes it seems like there just aren't enough hours in the day. Does any one have any strong opinions on the subject?

Different people need different amounts of sleep. About 8 hours is average for adults. Some people only need 5 or less, and others need 10 or more. You mentioned that you do not feel tired. Do you wake up feeling refreshed and full of energy? Do you find that you perform better on days you get more sleep? Did you used to get more sleep in the past?

Tankette
05-08-2003, 10:33 AM
I did get more sleep in the past. My sleeping habits have only changed in the past few days (I think since I've been eating more), but I do wake up feeling great. As for performance, Tuesday's work out went fine, and I wasn't dragging yesterday during my cardio.

YoBrickWall
05-08-2003, 10:54 AM
yo tankette- just peeking in. i agree with mrwebb 78 on joining a gym. more equipment and ull learn more being there. most people are helpfu.
good luck.

ybw

Tankette
05-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Thanks Brick.

MrWebb78
05-08-2003, 10:39 PM
ok Tank, your turn to post pics then

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by MrWebb78
ok Tank, your turn to post pics then

i agree ;)

Tankette
05-09-2003, 06:11 AM
My scanner's broken at the moment, but first chance I get, I will. ;)

Tankette
05-09-2003, 07:20 AM
Yesterday was hectic, but before I get into that, I want to make a couple of comments. I have read time and again that soreness is not an indication of muscle growth, and I can accept that; however, it sure makes me feel like I've accomplished something. I always get DOMS after my chest/triceps workout and am usually sore for two to three days despite the glutamine. However, I never get sore from working biceps/brachialis (even though I use as much weight as I can on my last two sets)...Until my last workout after which I was slightly sore for one day.

I just started working out legs recently. Before, I was running about 4 miles/day every couple of days. Now, it's usually too hot to run outside (for me anyway), and I want to see some muscle growth. (I'm sure that this is another big reason I haven't gained much muscle mass since I began working out.) So as you can see, I've added a leg day. This is the first time that I've done squats, weighted lunges, and SLDL (another reason a.k.a. excuse for the low amount of weight that I'm using). After the first two workouts, I became extremely sore inspite of the low weight. Now...not so much. Again, I know I need to add weight, but that's hard to do on squats w/o a spot...more excuses. I'm joining a gymn in 13 days and counting.

Yesterday, my diet was perfect. As per the last few days, I only got about 5 hours sleep. I was a little tired when I got home from work, so I took Webb's advice and had a little nap...Okay, a big one. I woke up in a tornado...literally.:eek:

A tornado tore through Moore, OK yesterday destroying 1500 houses and injuring over 100 people. I watched it go directly above my house. Fortunately for me (not for those now homeless), the real damage began about a mile north of where I live.

My electricity was out until around midnight. I know, I know, just an excuse not to finish my leg workout. I was able to do 3 sets of squats and 3 sets of SLDL (both at 75x20, 95x18, 115x16). I couldn't lift the last two sets over my head for squats, but I was able to recruit some assistance, which is usually not an option.:( I had to stop when it got too dark, and I drank my post workout whey by candlelight.

Well, I got plenty of sleep last night. The schools here are closed for the day due to the extensive tornado damage within the district. I am looking forward to finishing my leg workout today, doing cardio, and making a trip to the grocery store. I can't wait to try out Big Ron's "Every bite's a winner" homemade protein bar recipe.:D

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 08:11 AM
im sorry to hear about the tornado, i'm happy to hear that your alright.

about your chest/tri's always being sore, and your back/bi's not, the same thing happens to me quite a bit except vice-versa. my back is usually always stiff after a back workout, but usually my chest isnt. crazy aint it? ;)

MrWebb78
05-09-2003, 09:13 AM
in my 5 years of working out i have never had sore biceps the next day. theyve had that "tired" feeling a couple times, but never soreness. the more you work out the more it will take to ignite that muscle soreness in your other muscles as well. i agree though, i like to have some pain in my muscles to let me know i did something the previous day.

as for the glutamine, nobody even knows for sure what causes muscle soreness, so they cant come up with a supplement to counteract that soreness. its just another one of those supplement company claims.

i heard a little bit about the nasty weather on the news, but i was upset over my Kings losing last night, so i didnt pay much attention to the news:( sorry. but at least youre ok.

aka23
05-09-2003, 09:36 AM
I did get more sleep in the past. My sleeping habits have only changed in the past few days (I think since I've been eating more), but I do wake up feeling great. As for performance, Tuesday's work out went fine, and I wasn't dragging yesterday during my cardio.

If it was a sudden change in sleeping habits; then it is likely that you are developing a sleep deficit, which could result in reduced performance/recovery. This seems especially likely since you mentioned that you felt tired and were able to take a long nap in a later post. These types of sudden changes in sleeping habits can have many causes including anxiety/stress, medical/health changes, diet changes, and sleep environment changes. When I saw my doctor about insomnia problems, he gave me a pamphlet with some sleeping tips. The tips are identical to the ones that are listed at http://www.caminomedical.org/handouts/insomnia.html .

Lesnar_Rocks
05-09-2003, 09:54 AM
I agree with webb and ybw, Get to a gym girlie, oh.. and welcome to WBB, Looking for to reaidng your journal and those pics. ;)

Tankette
05-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Ghetto Crazy

Webb 1) Sorry about you're Kings. 2) I'm almost out of glutamine anyway, and I don't plan to reinvest any time soon.

aka Thanks...I'd probably have to attribute my lack of sleep to three things. 1) Change in eating habits, 2) working out too late in the evening recently, and 3) there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything that I want to do. I'll take that tip about working out at least 6 hours before going to bed.

All BTW I made Big Ron's protein bars... :drooling: Excellent and much cheaper than store bought.

MrWebb78
05-09-2003, 12:56 PM
i have a recipe for protein banana bread if you want it

Tankette
05-09-2003, 01:25 PM
I would love it. Is it already posted on the recipe forum?

MrWebb78
05-09-2003, 01:28 PM
no ive never posted anything in the recipes forum lol

i will put it up their soon though, prolly later today when i actually find it!

Tankette
05-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Oh, and if anyone wants to know the breakdown of those "Every Bite's a Winner" protein bars at 12 servings per batch...It is: ~40/40/20 at 257 cal, 12 g fat (1.5 sat), 26g carb, 13 g protein (and 99 mg sodium for those who take that into consid.) Ingredients: Peanuts, 100% whey protein (Protein by Design Swiss Choc.), honey, rolled oats, salt.

*The recipe is on the recipe forum...Go figure.:)

Tankette
05-09-2003, 02:19 PM
:help: I found a picture that I already have downloaded on to my computer. However, being the computer illiterate idiot that I am, I don't know how to post it.

Lesnar_Rocks
05-09-2003, 02:26 PM
Hit new message(assuming your posting it on member pics) and enter a text like "this is my pic" or whatever and down below there will be a thing where you can type a link or whatever, that's the attach file thing...just look for it on your comp and attach it, mod's have to aprove it first,

Mik
05-09-2003, 02:43 PM
*anxiously awaits pic*

Tankette
05-09-2003, 03:26 PM
My...Don't I look stupid. Muchas gracias, Lesnar.

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Mik
*anxiously awaits pic* :withstupi

Tankette
05-09-2003, 08:30 PM
It's coming, it's coming...hopefully. I attached it, and it took forever to download. I'm hoping that its just waiting to be okayed by a moderator. Otherwise, I am not downloading it again...It just takes too much time. Besides, don't get too excited, it's not that good of a pic. I'll post better ones in the future.

Tank

Tankette
05-09-2003, 08:57 PM
My God, have I been lazy today. I went out to my dad's ranch to work my horse and I went to the grocery store and the Discount Sport Nutrition...Oh yah, and I made those protein bars. Those are the only productive things that I have done today. And I didn't even ride the stupid horse. I just worked him in the round pen.

I was planning to finish up my leg workout that was cut short yesterday, which I didn't do, and to do cardio...Again, I didn't do it. I am such a lazy sack. Okay, it's the first workout I've missed, but one leads to another. I can't allow that to happen.

Missing the cardio workout doesn't bug me. I've been planning to cut down on that anyway. The rest does. I 've even been lazy about eating, which is a first. It's 9:30 and I haven't even hit 2000 calories yet.

Diet:1953 cal, 33/47/20

bowl of total w/ skim milk
2 whole eggs
8 strawberries
handful of wheat chex
2 EBW homemade protein bars
3g flax oil
1 tbsp olive oil
bowl of cream of wheat
15-20 stalks of asparagus
1 sweet potato
1 tbsp natty pb
1 Uncle Ben's Noodle bowl...Now that's healthy: processed flour, partially hydrogeated oil, 1190 mg sodium...the works.

Okay, I can't stand it any more. I have to go finish my leg workout now.

MrWebb78
05-09-2003, 08:59 PM
if i can make a suggestion, drop cardio on leg day, especially right after legs.

and i wish this darn pic would pop up.

Tankette
05-09-2003, 09:04 PM
I'm beginning to think that it will never pop up...BTW I snuck a peek at yours. However, from my understanding, that was about 70lbs ago. Congrats on the engagement!:thumbup:

MrWebb78
05-09-2003, 09:09 PM
thanks! it looks like october 25th will be the date.

yeah the pic was when i was 230, i have a more recent pic on one of the last few pages, unfortunately its a blurry back pic with a tank top on so there was really no point in posting it lol.

Tankette
05-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Soon your arms will be as big around as my waist...Well, almost.:)
Good luck with that wedding planning...It's quite an ordeal.

Okay, so I did my calf raises, and my crunches. Although I only completed 50 crunches b/c I could feel the olive oil rolling around in my stomach. Ick. :( I didn't do lunges b/c I thought it might be counterproductive to work my quads again today when I did squats yesterday. Even if that workout was cut short b/c of the tornado. Oh, well...Not quite productive, and I still feel worthless. However, it was better than nothing, and tomorrow is a new day.

Some advice...Say I cut down cardio to once a week while I'm trying to gain (as I know I should have done from the beginning). Should I increase my number of workouts to more than three week? I.e. ABCXABC or ABXCAXX, etc. (Right now it's AXBXCXX and cardio 45 or so min 3 times/wk.)

Also, I realize that 2600 calories is a lot for someone my size, even if I'm trying to gain. Not that I think that caloric calculators are the most accurate devices in the world, but they calculate my maintenance to be just over 2100 cal for very active and 2400 cal for extremely active. Just how active am I based on my work outs, and is 2600 calories too much? I want to gain, and I can accept a certain amount of fat w/that...but I don't want to actually be fat.

And please don't advise me to test it for a week or so then adjust it one hundred calories at a time. I already know that is what I'm supposed to do, but I'm oh so impatient.

aka23
05-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Some advice...Say I cut down cardio to once a week while I'm trying to gain (as I know I should have done from the beginning). Should I increase my number of workouts to more than three week? I.e. ABCXABC or ABXCAXX, etc. (Right now it's AXBXCXX and cardio 45 or so min 3 times/wk.)

You do not need to do cardio, if you do not want to. However, if done in the desired manner (separating it from weight workouts, not doing it on an empty stomach or other times when glycogen reserves are low, avoiding overtraining the legs, etc), it should not significantly interfere with your gains. There have been a few studies showing one or two cardio sessions a week on non strength days does not negatively impact strength and size gains, maintains conditioning, and maintains fat oxidation efficiency. I do cardio nearly every day, and have been making good muscle gains in recent weeks while maintaining a low body fat %.

Also, I realize that 2600 calories is a lot for someone my size, even if I'm trying to gain. Not that I think that caloric calculators are the most accurate devices in the world, but they calculate my maintenance to be just over 2100 cal for very active and 2400 cal for extremely active. Just how active am I based on my work outs, and is 2600 calories too much? I want to gain, and I can accept a certain amount of fat w/that...but I don't want to actually be fat.

And please don't advise me to test it for a week or so then adjust it one hundred calories at a time. I already know that is what I'm supposed to do, but I'm oh so impatient.

Calorie calculators do not work well for a large portion of the population. This is especially true for ones that do not account for activity and/or metabolism. Some people gain weight while eating 9x their body weight, while others do not gain when eating 20x their body weight. A more accurate way to estimate caloric needs is to track your foods at a site like fitday.com, determine you many calories you are eating, then slowly increase the calories until you meet your weight gaining goals.

GhettoSmurf
05-10-2003, 05:36 AM
i agree with aka23 about the fitday.com . also, just try eating X amount of calores per day, and then after a week you've noticed that you didnt gain any weight, then up the calories a bit, and weigh yourself the next week, and just keep doing that until you find an approximate caloric intake that lets you gain ~.5-1 pounds a week.

Coke
05-10-2003, 07:16 AM
:hello: Hi Tankette, good luck with your workouts and everything - Hope you will keep your journal going for some time :) The more females around the better! :D

Tankette
05-10-2003, 09:18 AM
Hi CoCoa!

Thanks for the advice guys. It's good to know that I can still do cardio. Everyone around here (Okla. not WBB) has been telling me to drop it. I actually enjoy it. I'll stick to off days except after legs, so that should still be 3x a week unless I decide to add a weight workout. Which I probably will do as soon as I join a gymn...in less than 2 weeks!!!

As for the calories. You're obviously right. I've been measuring ~2600-2700 calories per day on fitday for the past week, and I haven't gained a thing.:( But we all doubt our methods during our free time, don't we. One day I want to gain (well I always want to gain), but the next day I think f*** it and consider cutting. Not that I have much to cut at the moment, but I wouldn't mind seeing my abs again.

Today is my chest/tri day, my favorite. It always makes me feel as though I've accomplished something.

On a side note... I've always been a size 0, but now all of my favorite jeans are getting a little tight in the quads and the booty. Woohoo! I could use a little booty.:D I'm not sure what the deal is considering that my scale says I haven't gained a pound in the past two weeks, and it doesn't seem like I've lost any fat.

Tankette
05-10-2003, 09:21 AM
It's beginning to seem like this pic is never going to pop up, so just consider me a cross between Demi Moore, Salma Hayek, Natalie Portman, and Penelope Cruz. Well, maybe not...but I do have brown hair and brown eyes.;)

Tankette
05-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Okay, I just finished my workout. I changed it up a bit and only did two sets w/o going up weight. (Easier to keep track.) On the first exercise for each muscle, I did a warm up set w/ low weight of about 10 reps.

Bench: 2 *10 @ 70lbs
Incline: 2 * 10 @ 60
Military: 2 * 10 @ 50
DB Flies: 2 * 10 @ 20
BB Tri ext: 2 * 10/8 @ 30
DB Tri ext: 2 * 12/10 @ 10
Bent Over DB Tri ext: 2 * 12 @ 10 (too easy)
Bench Dips: 2 * 12/8 @ 25
Crunches: 3 * 50 (forward/reverse/side)

Comments: Felt okay, nothing special. Didn't seem like an extremely good work out, but it didn't feel worthless either.

Diet: So far about 700 calories. Including breakfast and post workout snack (EBW protein bar + biotin...main ingredient: dextrose).

Pup
05-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Aha...you tried posting it in here and not in members pics, forget about the validation...just make sure its 100k or under and follow the instructions i gave ya, ya only need validation in members pics :)

Tankette
05-10-2003, 11:53 PM
I guess it's too big. I tried posting it member pics before, but I'll try again.

MrWebb78
05-11-2003, 08:12 PM
I guess it's too big.

i love hearing a woman say that!!

sorry had to foul up the journal a little bit...and besides, ive never heard a woman say that:(

Tankette
05-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Webb I hear that they have a surgery for that.;)

Well, Saint Patty is working on shrinking it for me, so maybe it'll be up soon (Don't touch that one, Webb! tuttut)

:( It has been built up quite a bit, so please let me remind you that it's not a very good picture and that I'll post better ones in the future.

Well, here's what I've done today:

Sleep...lots. I love the weekend. :D

Diet...good (2550 cal):

total + 1% milk
1 EBW bar
1 natty PB & nana sandwich (WW bread)
another nana
cream of wheat w/1/2 scoop whey and splash of milk...yum
another banana and 5 strawberries (mixed w/above...yum)
handful roasted peanuts (unsalted)
some broccoli
an orange
1 slice cantaloupe
1 slice honeydew
a few grapes
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
2 g flax oil
1 tbsp olive oil
wheat chex + 1% milk
2 pieces WW toast w/just a dab of apple butter

exercise:
35 min cardio
3x25 one leg standing calf raises (30lbs)
3x50 crunches (forward,reverse,side)

FYI - Took my horse and my dog for a ride through the river today. It was beautiful as usual.

Told a woman in the park that she had awesome arms. I think she thought it was a come on...oops. :( Oh well, she did have awesome arms.

aka23
05-11-2003, 09:31 PM
I guess it's too big. I tried posting it member pics before, but I'll try again.

If the problem is related to the image being over 100KB, you could try resizing the photo. Many applications can do this including Adopbe Photoshop and probably the software that came with your digital camera. I use Xat Image Optimizer for this purpose. You can download Xat for free at http://www.xat.com/internet_technology/download.html

Tankette
05-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Today has started out alright so far.

Sleep: ~6 hours

Diet (as of one o'clock):

breakfast - total w/1% milk, banana, 2 g flax oil, multi-vi, biotin

post breakfast -whole egg and 1/4 cantaloupe

snack

pre lunch - natty pb and nana sandwich (WW bread)

lunch - 1 cup plain oatmeal w/fresh strawberries and 1% milk

the doc
05-12-2003, 03:05 PM
just noticed your journal... will finish reading later but just wanted to say hello :hello:

the doc
05-12-2003, 03:06 PM
oh and PM me and we can get your pic up

GhettoSmurf
05-12-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by the doc
oh and PM me and we can get your pic up

yes, i think you should do this ASAP ;)

Pup
05-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Where are the pics damnit!

Tankette
05-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Okay, it's up now in member pics thanks to St. Patty...Woohoo!!!:clap:

Tankette
05-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Picking up from where I left off...

Diet: (as of one o'clock)

EBW protein bar
bowl of pineapple, pears, and peaches
cream of wheat w/nana
EBW protein bar...too good, can't hold back
deli turkey
whey protein plus milk
tbsp olive oil
2 more grams flax oil

exercise (off day)
45 min cardio
3X25 each leg BW + 30 standing calf raises
3X50 crunches (forward/reverse/side)

Oh, yes... I forgot to mention the other day that I have been doing push-ups in between chest/tri workouts. I can now do 2 sets of 40 w/ a minute rest in between. I'll do that tomorrow during my break @ work.

Saint Patrick
05-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Diet is looking awesome Tankette - Good luck w/ your goals :)

MrWebb78
05-12-2003, 11:23 PM
what do you teach?

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 04:44 AM
espanol

the doc
05-13-2003, 05:46 AM
no habla ;)

Tankette
05-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Thanks Patty!:)

Saint Patrick
05-13-2003, 11:44 AM
OMG spanish was my favorite subject in school, I always got good grades in spanish.

MrWebb78
05-13-2003, 01:41 PM
if tankette were to stop walking....st patty's nose would go directly up her bum.

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 02:15 PM
lol

Bam Bam
05-13-2003, 03:01 PM
good to have another okie on board i think that makes 4 now

where are you at? I am in norman

MrWebb78
05-13-2003, 04:23 PM
why doesnt texas fall off into the gulf of mexico???

cuz oklahoma sucks!!!!!!!!

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 04:31 PM
full of the compliments arnt we today Webb? ;)

MrWebb78
05-13-2003, 04:32 PM
lol i cant help myself sometimes! besides, those southerners usually get worked up about this kinda stuff

Tankette
05-14-2003, 07:06 AM
Webb I always heard it this way...Why is OK so windy??? B/c KS blows and TX sucks. Much better, don't ya think? BTW, I'm glad the Mavs beat your Kings! I gotta root for Najera. And SP is still my hero. :p

[Bam] I'm in Moore now, and I have lived in or around Norman for most of my life. I graduated from OU. What's your story? :)

Tankette
05-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Although I doubt anyone noticed, I didn't have a journal entry for yesterday. My diet was good as usual, and I slept for about 5 hours, but I didn't get to work out :(. I felt extremely guilty about that, but I must say that my reason aka. excuse is quite exciting:). One of the fraternity houses at OU was getting rid of its weight equipment, so I went over there and collected everything that was left worth collecting. I acquired (free of charge) a set of olympic weights (now I have two), more dumb bells (now I have a set that ranges from 5 lbs to 65 lbs in increments of 5...as if I'll ever need half of them), a cable cross over, and a lat pull down w/various attachments...Yay! Oh yah, and a preacher attachment for my weight bench and a punching bag. I don't mean to brag, but I'm so excited b/c on a teacher's salary there's no way I could have afforded any of this.:evillaugh There is a down side, however...Now I have to move my bedroom into the guest bed and turn the master bedroom into the weight room. Slightly excessive don't ya think?

* I'm still joining a gym for the summer...9 days and counting.

Mik
05-14-2003, 09:25 AM
Grats on the score Tankette! That's awesome especially for the price. I don't think moving your bedroom is excessive, I've been getting rid of furniture in my rec room for a while now as add more equipment.

Bam Bam
05-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Hey tankette i am a texas boy who migrated this way i live and own a house in norman and will probably end up raising a family here i have been lifting for about 2 yrs and frighting for a 1 and a half and btw is your not going to use the punching bag i know a nice young man who would be in need :angel:

Tankette
05-14-2003, 10:58 AM
I would send it your way, but I used to take kickboxing and have always wanted a punching bag:). Besides it's not one of the good hanging bags. It's just the kind that you have to fill up the base w/water.

Who are the other Okies here?

powerhalf
05-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Just wanted to say hi! You eat more cals a day than I do, Tankette, and I more than double your bw :) And I mean that as a total compliment, I think it's awesome to see a woman who's not afraid to eat more to get gains. I saw your pic in the pics forum and you're a very attractive lady and your dog is a cutie (i have a soft spot for cats and dogs!) Keep up the great work!

powerhalf
05-14-2003, 05:43 PM
I used to know a guy who lived in Lawton, OK. He didn't like it much, though... he always referred to the people there as "stupid ****ing Okies" :(

Tankette
05-14-2003, 05:57 PM
Power Thank you.:)

I don't know many people from Lawton, and I've only been there once...I wasn't too impressed, so I couldn't hold it against him. Norman is a completely different world. (The difference between a town that revolves around a university and one that revolves around a military base. No offense to you military men out there...lots of love:thumbup: )

As for my calories...It took me five months to gain five pounds at just over 2000 calories. We'll see if this works any better. I don't mind gaining a bit of fat...I figure it will take me no time at all to cut it off. I'd better be right!!! :D

pagan058
05-14-2003, 05:58 PM
just checked your journal out...you are a strong girl......keep it up

Bam Bam
05-14-2003, 06:21 PM
well theres bench monster from tulsa and some other younger guy from okc he pms me on aol alot dont recal his name

Tankette
05-15-2003, 07:22 AM
Yesterday my diet was pretty good, although I don't think I had quite as many calories as I would have liked, and I didn't get the chance to calculate them. Unfortunately I've run out of a lot of my usual food items, but today is payday so all should be well soon.

Sleep 5 or 6 hours

Diet
Total + milk
banana
egg
all natural apple sauce
EBW protein bar
turkey + lettuce sandwich (WW bread)
oatmeal + milk & strawberries
2 tbsp peanut butter
4g flax oil
whey protein + cream of wheat
whey protein + milk
3 slices of deli turkey

Work Out - sucked

lat pulldown 2x10 @ 60lbs
chins 6 @ BW
DB concentration curls 2 x 10/12 @ 20 lbs
BB curls 2x5/7 @ 50/45 lbs
wrist curls 2x12/10 @ 20/25 lbs
lateral raises 2x10 @ 10 lbs
abs - none

Comments: I was sooo weak. My work out was horrible and it seemed like I was going down weight on almost everything. I thought that maybe it had to do with my lack of sleep, so I cut my work out short and went to bed. Last night I got about 7 to 7.5 hours of sleep. I hope that this will help with my work out tonight.

aka23
05-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Comments: I was sooo weak. My work out was horrible and it seemed like I was going down weight on almost everything. I thought that maybe it had to do with my lack of sleep, so I cut my work out short and went to bed. Last night I got about 7 to 7.5 hours of sleep. I hope that this will help with my work out tonight.

I have found that lack of sleep does effect performance in workouts. For me it is most noticeable during intense cardio. Fortunately when sleep improves, my performance returns back to normal, which would not be the case with lost muscle. A nap before an evening workout can be a great performance boost on nights when you do not get much sleep, but the nap may contribute to continued sleeping difficulties. I hope tonight's workout goes better.

Tankette
05-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Thank you for the encouragement, aka. I'm about to work out, so we'll see.

BTW, I regret to inform everyone that I stepped on the scale this morning and have lost a pound. C'est la vie.

MrWebb78
05-15-2003, 07:25 PM
how often do you weigh yourself? if its daily then dont worry about it. if its weekly, then up your calories! have a steak!

GhettoSmurf
05-15-2003, 07:48 PM
forget a steak. have 2! or 3! :D

Tankette
05-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Nope, not daily. Weekly, and I'll take you up on that steak!

Sleep 7-7.5 hours
Diet Not good, still need to hit the grocery store.

Only 2400 cals today, and probably a bit too much of them from protein...

cream of wheat w/ milk (1%)
EBW protein bar
lean cuisine baked potato w/cheese and broccoli
lean cuisine chicken and wild rice w/ broccoli
half pint carton of milk
healthy choice turkey, corn, and pumpkin pie filling :)
some V8 veggie juice
cream of wheat w/ whey prot. and milk
banana and grapes
whey protein w/milk
oatmeal w/tbsp honey and milk
4g flax oil
1 tbsp olive oil

Work Out Started out a little off, but ended up pretty good.

Now that I have a rack to use for squats, I can do a bit more weight; however, since I only recently started doing weighted leg work, I'm a little wobbly on my way back up. A friend was over working out, so I spent way too much time in between sets watching what he was doing on his shoulder work out. (On one hand, this was a good thing b/c I learned a thing or two.) I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing and ended up going up weight a little more than I had planned on my DB lunges. This was good...I can really feel it, and I have a feeling that I'll feel it even more tomorrow in my arse. I also went up weight on my SLDL, but my grip started to slip after 8-10 reps. I did 12 anyway. I went up weight on my calves, but I definitely should have gone up more b/c I did the same amount of reps, and it didn't feel that much different than before.

Squats - 2x12 @ 85lbs...1x20 @ 65lbs (Yeah, my legs are weak.)
DB Lunges - 1x8 @ 60lbs...2x10 @ 40lbs
SLDL - 3x12 @ 105lbs
one leg standing calf raises - 3 x 25 @ BW+40lbs
abs - 3x50 crunches (forward/reverse/side)

I'm gonna change up my ab work out next time just to feel it a bit more. Oh, and I forgot to add leg extensions now that I have the attachment for that, so I'll add them next week.

kinetixtrainer
05-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Sounds like you have everything down with your diet and training.

Just keep up the hard work.

Wrist straps work great for deads and most back exercises.

MrWebb78
05-15-2003, 10:08 PM
try hanging leg raises for abs, theyre killers.

Tankette
05-16-2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks K

Webb, Thank you for the input. I've considered doing hanging leg raises before, but I was under the impression they work out the obliques quite a bit. That's really not one of my favorite muscles in a woman. Tell me if I'm wrong because I can use all of the variety that I can get.

Sleep - 6 hours
Diet - Crap

I'm going to the grocery store tonight, but since I didn't have the chance yesterday, I had nothing decent to eat today. It started out quite well with three eggs, two slices of whole wheat toast, and a bowl of cream of wheat. I was starved again by 8:00, but had nothing to eat at work, so I had to wait until 10:00. The only thing that I could find was mini-donuts, so I ate quite a few. Afterwards I was still hungry, and I found a pack of tuna in my desk. A little later I had a bag of ritz bits cheese sandwiches. For lunch I had fried processed fish product w/ corn on the cobb and cornbread from the cafeteria. I didn't eat anything else all afternoon b/c I felt like sh!t warmed over...I still do. Now I remember why I don't eat junk/fried food. First of all, I don't usually like the way it tastes. Secondly, it makes me feel greasy and sick to the stomach. I think I'm going to go sleep it off.

Exercise: None today. Luckily it's my off day, and I did legs yesterday, so I'm not even going to do cardio.

BTW...My arse, quads, and hammies are more than a little bit sore, and I have a feeling that this is just a hint of what I'll be feeling tomorrow.

GhettoSmurf
05-16-2003, 07:39 PM
wow, you keep a can of tuna in your desk? i wish my teachers did that ;) . o well, i wouldnt feel to bad. think of it this way, what you did eating-wise was smarter then eating nothing @ all IMO. btw, i love how you referred to it as a "fried processed fish product"

i dont think hanging leg raises work the obliquesm unless you add a twist to them. when i do hanging leg riases i feel it the most in my lower abs. but thats just me

Tankette
05-16-2003, 08:31 PM
Thanks Ghetto/Webb, I'll probably go ahead and give them a try tomorrow.

Yeah, I do keep packs of tuna in my desk...along with about a million other things. Usually I have a whole drawer full of goodies (water, tuna, fruit, wheat chex, peanuts, sunflower seeds, oatmeal, beef jerkey...the all natural kind...etc.) not to mention a refrigerator across the hall with perishables. Sadly enough I've run low, which was the cause of my unfortunate mishap today.

Bam Bam
05-17-2003, 10:43 AM
sounds like wew could do some damage on a buffett if you cheat at all

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Bam Bam
sounds like wew could do some damage on a buffett if you cheat at all

is that a bodybuilding pick-up line? ;)

MrWebb78
05-17-2003, 03:05 PM
stop beating around the bush bam bam and just ask her out, if i lived close i would

oh yeah and if i wasnt engaged

Tankette
05-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Down boys, I'm sure that it wasn't a pick up line. I can definitely do damage at a buffet;). BTW, like Webb, I'm spoken for.

:D Speaking of cheating...

A friend of mine just graduated from law school, so a bunch of us went to his family's ranch in B.F.O. to celebrate. I haven't eaten so much red meat in months! Every time I turned around they were serving up more beef. I didn't keep track of my calories, protein, carbs, fat, etc; but I definitely out did myself:). Oh yeah, and I did partake of just a couple of beers.

Yesterday I didn't have the chance to make my journal entry so here goes for both yesterday and today:

Diet:

Late Breakfast: three eggs, two toast, and cream of wheat
Post Workout: whey w/ milk
Lunch: turkey and veggie sandwich on whole wheat and a bag of baked potato chips
Pre-Dinner: grilled Chicken and spinach salad w/ balsamic vinegarette
Dinner: brisket w/ baked beans and potato salad (2 plates) + a couple beers
Dessert: chocolate cake
Before Bed: another plate of brisket w/baked beans.
Late Breakfast (slept in): 5 pancakes, 4 pieces of ham, 4 glasses of milk
Lunch: 1 beef patty and one sausage link w/ baked beans + beer
Road Food: lots of peaches
Dinner: natty PB and banana sandwich
Before bed: whey and milk

Sleep: 2 nights ago: 8 or 9 hours. Last night: ~7 hours.

Exercise:

Yesterday:

Bench: 2x12/8 @ 70lbs
Incline: 2x9 @ 60lbs
Decline flies: 2x10/8 @ 20lbs
Military press: 2x10/5 @ 50lbs
Lying rear lateral raise: 2x15/12 @ 5lbs & 1x10@ 2.5lbs
DB tricep extensions (lying/one arm): 2x10 @ 10lbs
kickbacks: 2x10 @ 10lbs
BB triceps extensions: 2x10 @ 35lbs
DB bench dips: 2x10 @ 25lbs
One legged dumbell calf raises: 3x25 @ 45 lbs

*Comments - Felt good. I may not be doing as much weight on a couple of things. However, I was paying a little closer attention to my form, so it took more out of me. I tried to go down very slowly and controlled after each rep. (Today my pecs are sore. My triceps and shoulders...not so much.)

Today: Not a damned thing!

FYI - I made it to the store this evening, so despite the lapse that I had this weekend my diet is now back on track. I also picked up some Vitamins C and E and some fish oil.

Here is my current list of supplements:
Optimum multi vitamin
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Biotin
Fish Oil
whey protein

Oh, yeah...Bragging rights: Yesterday at the ranch, a couple of the girls were talking about how strong they are for women. As we all had had a few beers, the conversation soon turned into an arm wrestling match. Who won, you might ask??? Yours truly (despite being out weighed by about at least 30 lbs).

It's not so much that I'm strong because you've seen my journal, and it's nothing spectacular...I'm just stronger than they are :D. *grins like an idiot*

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 05:05 AM
wow, sounds like you had quite a day at the ranch. mmmmmmmmm red meat, meat does a body good! :D . nice w/o as well btw.

Tankette
05-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Thanks Ghetto.

5/19

Sleep: 6 hours

Diet: 2747 calories

ww Total w/ 1% milk, banana and egg
1/4 cantaloupe and egg
1 cup ww chex and orange
natty pb & banana sandwich on ww
plain oatmeal w/strawberries and 1% milk
turkey & lettuce sandwich on ww
bowl of home made beef soup
bowl of cream of wheat w/ banana, strawberries, 1/2 scoop whey protein and 1% milk
sweet potato and broccoli and 1% milk

3g fish oil
Optimum multi vitamin
2000 mg vit C
400 iu vit E
2000 mcg biotin

Exercise: off day...45 min cardio + 2x50 crunches, 1x50 hanging leg raises

Alke
05-19-2003, 09:16 PM
Hey tankette, dont think I ever stopped in yet, just wanted to say whats up :D

wow, workouts look really impressive - lotta volume and looks like you really enjoy your workouts.

Nice job winning the arm wrestling!!

Tankette
05-20-2003, 11:43 AM
Thank you, I am enjoying them. I look forward to back/bi's today.

Bam Bam
05-20-2003, 01:14 PM
lol

just saw the pick up line reply

even i wouldnt ask a woman on a date to a buffet

WillKuenzel
05-20-2003, 01:22 PM
LOL, I have. Hell, I've had a girl want to take me to buffet. Can't be all bad. :D

Nice job on the arm wrestling victory Tankette!

Tankette
05-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Thank God,Bam. I wasn't gonna say anything, but even with as much as I eat, I can't stand buffets. Nor do I know any girls who would want to be taken to one on a date (unlike Homey up there). ;)

MrWebb78
05-20-2003, 07:18 PM
would you rather be taken to a buffet for a date...or to watch nude oil wrestling?

Tankette
05-20-2003, 09:43 PM
Tough call, Webb. Is it nude men or nude women oil wrestling?

5/20

Sleep: ~ 6 hours + 2 hour nap after work
Diet: ~2600 cals

ww total w/banana & 1% milk
egg & 1/4 cantaloupe
1 cup ww chex
ww natty pb & nana sandwich
oatmeal w/strawberries & 1% milk
ww turkey & lettuce sandwich
10 or 15 pistachios
peach
cream of wheat w/1/2 scoop whey prot, banana, strawberries, & 1% milk
whey protein w/1% milk & tbsp honey
sweet potato & broccoli

multi-vi
vit c
vit e
biotin
fish oil

Work Out

chins - 8/5 @ BW :confused:
lat pulldown - 3x12/12/10 @ 60lbs - 1st set behind neck
BB curls - 3x10/9/8 @ 45 :confused:
conc. curls - 2x9/6 @ 20 :confused:
bent Over Row - 3x12 @ 25
reverse BB curls - 2x 8/6 @ 35 :confused:
lateral raises - 1x12 @ 5, 1x8 @ 10...drop to 5 (9 more reps), 1x6 @ 10...drop to 4 (10 more reps)
lying post. delt raises - 2x10 @ 5...dropped to 2.5 on 2nd set (8 more reps)
crunches - 3x50 (forward/reverse/side)...I'm going to put off doing hanging leg raises again until I join the gym next week. It sucks doing them on a pull up bar.

:confused: It seems like I'm getting weaker instead of stronger:(.

Comments: My left arm is so much weaker than my right. I work it first on the DB exercises to see how many reps I can do so that I don't do more than that w/ my right arm...However, my right arm feels like its being held way back, and on some exercises, doesn't feel like it's being worked at all.

MrWebb78
05-20-2003, 09:49 PM
nude women of course!

my left arm is weaker than my right, sometimes a get 2 or 3 more reps on DB exercises. i think it may do more harm to not work it as hard, than to do a couple more reps to get it fatigued.

but what do i know, im just a meathead.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 04:58 AM
wow thats a lot of :confused: faces. dont let it get you down tankette. everyone has a cruddy day sooner or later (like my earlier post in my journal), but yesterday i folowed the crappy workout and had a GREAT leg day. IMO it's all in the mind.

also, my left arm is a lot weaker then my right as well. it gets pretty bad, especially on shoulder presses, when my left arm is worn-out after 5 reps, and i still fell as if i could go to 8 with my right.

WillKuenzel
05-21-2003, 08:18 AM
I want to say that your diet looks badass!

When are you working out? Is it in the morning or in the evening after your nap?

Tankette
05-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks Homey...Yesterday, I worked out after my nap. It happened the same way last time that I worked that muscle group. Hopefully that explains my weakness. I'll find out next week when school gets out. I'll have no excuse for not getting 8 or 9 hous of sleep, so I shouldn't need a nap.

Tankette
05-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Webb: Yeah, I think I will start doing more reps w/my right arm. My only concern is that it is already a little bigger than my left, and I don't want to look assymetrical.

MrWebb78
05-21-2003, 03:55 PM
my left arm is bigger than my right, i think its from overtaining my right arm when i whack off....then again, im not working with much weight there either:(

MrWebb78
05-21-2003, 03:55 PM
i cant believe i just posted that!

Tankette
05-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Webb: You do have a habit of posting a little too much info., but we love you anyway. Go wish your daughter a happy B-day, and have a great big piece of cake for those of us who actually stick to a diet :).

5/21

Sleep: ~5 hours

Diet:

Same as yesterday.

* I can't believe that it's already 9:15. I haven't had time to do my cardio/abs/calves yet this evening, but I think that I'll go ahead and skip it so that I can catch up on some sleep. I doubt that all of this hard work and dedication is going to start paying off if I don't get more sleep than this during the week. Good night.

MrWebb78
05-21-2003, 10:11 PM
damn, 3 days into a cut and i have a huge piece of cake!!!!! oh well, will run it off in the morning.

i understand your pain with the lack of sleep:( ever tried melatonin, or even a harsher sleep aid such as muscle relaxers like valium? not the healthiest of practices, but once in awhile it just feels damn good

aka23
05-21-2003, 11:18 PM
i understand your pain with the lack of sleep:( ever tried melatonin, or even a harsher sleep aid such as muscle relaxers like valium? not the healthiest of practices, but once in awhile it just feels damn good

An excellent website that rates and reviews various sleep aids is http://remedyfind.com/hc-Sleep-Disorders.asp . These types of medications are usually intended to be taken on a temporary basis. When taken over the long term, they can contribute to continued sleeping problems and have several other negative side effects. If you decide to use sleeping aids, I would recommend first talking to your doctor. He can better evaluate the situation and can prescribe medications that are often more effective and have fewer side effects than the ones that are available over the counter.

I am currently using a rotating combination of Restoril, Unisom, and Sonata. I feel that these sleeping aids have made a significant difference.

Tankette
05-22-2003, 03:50 PM
No, no guys...I can sleep. I don't have time. I've been getting up too early in the morning. All will be well in a few more days when I don't have to wake up for work anymore. Thank you so much for the support and the advice. I just need to manage my time better :).

MrWebb78
05-22-2003, 03:51 PM
dont lie, you sit up at night wishing i was with you....

WillKuenzel
05-22-2003, 03:53 PM
I know I do....

I mean, I don't have any problems sleeping either. :p

Tankette
05-22-2003, 03:55 PM
If I sat up all night, my husband might start thinking that I was a little weird.

WillKuenzel
05-22-2003, 03:56 PM
If he saw him, he'd understand. :D

Tankette
05-22-2003, 03:59 PM
:confused:

WillKuenzel
05-22-2003, 04:01 PM
I don't know either. I'm waiting for the traffic to thin out at work so I'm spamming journals and anything else that is showing activity.

You working out this afternoon or what?

Tankette
05-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Yeah, legs. I've gotta go out to my dad's and exercise my horse first though, so I'd probably better get to it.

WillKuenzel
05-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Seems legs was the workout of choice today. Have fun.

MrWebb78
05-22-2003, 04:31 PM
i like legs!

MrWebb78
05-22-2003, 04:31 PM
HY you have issues lol.

Tankette
05-23-2003, 02:00 PM
5/23

Sleep: ~7 hours

Diet:

I don't remember, but it was pretty good as usual. I did have a bite of someone's cheesecake at lunch though.

Work Out: Legs

squats: 105x12 (3x)
BB lunges: 40x12, 50x12, 60x12
SLDL: 105x12 (3x)
leg extensions:25x12, 45x12, 65x12
one legged DB calf raises: 45x25 (3x)
crunches: 50 forward, 50 reverse, 50 side to side

Tankette
05-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Sleep: 10 hours

Diet:

2 eggs, one slice ww toast, total w/1% milk
1 cup wheat chex w/ 2 tbsp natty pb & 1/2 scoop whey protein
1 bowl of spicy beef w/rice noodle soup, bowl of rice & kimche

Exercise: I'm gonna do pecs/tris tomorrow. I spent too long riding Levi down by the river today, and it's a bit late to get started now. (Levi is a horse btw.)

Tuesday I'm joining the gym, and I'm going to start going three days on (push, pull, legs), one day off. I plan to do cardio on my push and pull days. I think I'll also start taking creatine. I plan to do this for four weeks after which I'm going to cut. I've gained two pounds. I weighed in this morning at 106 :). I can't see my abs anymore :(. I hope that it wasn't just two pounds of fat. I don't think that it was. All of my favorit pants are getting too tight in the arse and the thighs, and they aren't fatty at all. I'm going to have to go up to a size 1 :D.

GhettoSmurf
05-24-2003, 08:28 PM
that is one lucky horse... ;)

good luck with the new workout routine. and congrats on the weight gain! i highly doubt its fat ;)

MrWebb78
05-24-2003, 09:00 PM
my nickname is Levi.....you cant lie to these people and say you were horseback riding

Tankette
05-24-2003, 09:04 PM
So, Webb, how's the wedding planning going? Spoken to your fiancee lately? What does she think of your new nickname??? ;)

MrWebb78
05-25-2003, 04:28 PM
lol uhhhhhh

*runs*

Tankette
05-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Okay I haven't had time to post in a while so here goes:

5/25 -

Sleep - plenty...love the weekend

Diet - alright

Workout - pecs/tris

bench - bar x20, 70x10, 70x9
incline - 60x9, 60x7
military - 50x7, 50x10 (3 assisted)
DB flies - 20x11, 20x9
cable tri ext - 30x11
one hand DB tri ext - 10x12, 10x12, 15x7
bench dips - BWx14, +25x9, +25x8
crunches - 50 forward, 50 reverse, 50 side to side

5/26 -

Sleep - plenty...love the holidays

Diet - alright

Workout - back/delts/bis

chins - BWx9, BWx8
close grip lat pulldown - 60x12, 70x11, 70x12
DB preacher curl - 10x12, 10x12
hammer curl (preacher) - 10x12, 10x12
DB concentration curl - 20x9, 20x6
BB curl - 50x4, 40x5, 40x3
Bent over row -25x10, 25x10, 25x8
reverse BB curl - 30x8, 30x8
wrist curl - 20x12, 25x8
reverse wrist curl - 10x10, 10x10
lateral raises - 5x12, 10x8, 10x8 drop to 5x5
post delt raises - 5x12, 10x6, 5x8 drop to 2.5x5

comments - Okay, while typing this I can see the reason for my recent weakness on this work out. It's too damn long. I tire myself out then can't do as much weight as I expect, so I keep going out of frustration. That can't be good. I'm going to shorten this work out quite a bit next time and hope that I can start making gains again.

I bought some creatine today. Probably a waste of money. Impulse buy. I should have researched this product more before I bought it. I've been planning to take creatine for the next few weeks; however, I bought a product that I know nothing about. Stupid, I know. Has anyone tried dimaxx creatine?

MrWebb78
05-27-2003, 07:05 PM
all creatine did for me was make me pee alot. maybe cuz i was making an effort to drink more water. but i know it works for some people. maybe itll work for you, however if my memory serves, you only wanted to gain about 5 or so lbs of muscle right? if so, then creatine might have been a waste.

you should shorten your workouts and increase the poundages on your lifts. well, i cant tell you what you SHOULD do, im no pro by any means, just my suggestion:)

Tankette
05-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Thanks Webb, I do need to shorten my work outs, I just don't know what to cut out. I'd love some suggestions. I'd love to up my weight too, and I am being able to do so slowly on some exercises; however, sadly enough, what I am posting is all I can do on some of the others. Now that school is out, and I have all day to play with it, would it be a bad idea to cut my workouts in half and to do part earlier in the day and the rest later? After I've gained the weight that I'm looking for, I'll probably just go to a five day split. Right now I'm just frustrated b/c I haven't been making any gains lately. I'm even slipping on biceps. I'm probably just wearing myself out during my workout, and by increasing my work outs, I'm just making it worse. We'll soon see. Live and learn.

As for the creatine...You're probably right: a waste of money. Oh, well. I have it now, so I guess I'll go ahead and use it up. I have 25 days worth. I wouldn't mind gaining more than 5 or so pounds although I don't see that happening in such a short amount of time. After that, I'm cutting no matter what. I go on vacation (NY,NJ,FL) in a month and a half, and by then I'll be tired of this layer of fat that has accumulated over my abs.

5/27

sleep - ~7 hours

diet - good

work out - legs

squat - 105x12, 115x12, 105x12 - Too sloppy at 115, wobbly and couldn't go down to parallel.

BB lunges - 45x12, 60x12, 70x12 - Really felt that last set. After each set I plan to go up on the next enough weight to only be able to do 8 reps, but somehow I force myself to push out 4 more after I get to 8.

SLDL - 105x12, 115x12, 115x10 - Grip is getting a little stronger. Did not slip on first set, but weakened on the 7th or 8th rep of the second. Didn't go to 12 on the last set out of fear of hurting my back. Form was starting to get sloppy.

Leg extensions - 50x12 - After the above exercises I felt spent. I decided to stop at this point. It felt good to not feel burned out and ask myself why I was doing this again at the end of the work out. I still feel guilty though. I know better than to finish my leg extensions and/or do leg curls tomorrow; however, will it hurt my recovery to do calf raises??? Tomorrow is my off day, but it would make me feel better if I at least worked calves and abs since I skipped them today.

Tankette
05-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Webb (or anyone for that matter), how many reps should I be doing? I've heard between 6 and 10 from some and 8 and 12 from others if the goal is size. On some things, I can do 12 reps at a certain weight, but if I go up at all, I can't even do 8. Should I go ahead and go up weight even if that means I'll only be able to get 4-6 reps? When using the preacher bench w/ dumbells, I can do 12 reps w/ the tens pretty easily, but if I go up to the fifteens, I can't even do one w/ a decent ROM. However, on concentration curls, I can do 9-11 reps w/ the twenties but only 4-5 reps w/ the twenty-fives.

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 08:03 PM
i usually want to try to get 6-8 reps on compound movements like bench press, deadlift, squat, etc.

and i usually go for 8-12 with isolation movements.

i dont know if that's considered "right" or not. but that's just what i do. but i am by no means a training expert

aka23
05-27-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks Webb, I do need to shorten my work outs, I just don't know what to cut out. I'd love some suggestions. .

Two simple ways to shorten the workout are to reduce the number of sets or reduce the number of body parts. In the 5/26 workout, it looks like you did 11 sets of bicep exercises. This seems like a lot for such a small body part. The wrist curls might also be removed if you are short on time.

In my opinion you don't gain much from such large numbers of sets. The following appears on exrx.net:

"The ACSM Weight Training Guidelines state more than one set may elicit slightly greater strength gains but additional improvement is relatively small (ACSM 1995). Fleck and Kramer's review of the literature suggest the optimal number of sets is between 2 and 5 sets (Fleck & Kraemer, 1997). A second set seems understandable since a warm up set may allow greater intensity for the the following workout set ( Shellock & Prentice, 1985).
Many scientific studies demonstrate one set is almost effective as multiple sets, if not just as effective in strength and muscle hypertrophy (Starkey, Pollock, et. al. 1996). These studies have been criticized for using untrained subjects. Hass et. al. (2000) compared the effects of one set verses three sets in experienced recreational weightlifters. Both groups significantly improved muscular fitness and body composition during the 13 week study. Interestingly, no significant differences were found between groups for any of the test variables; including muscular strength, muscular endurance, and body composition"

MrWebb78
05-27-2003, 09:46 PM
i am certainly no pro either, and i understand about going up very slightly in weight and not being able to do half the reps as the previous weight.

perhaps you could slow down the reps of the lighter weight....try a 4 or 5 second cadence on the way up and down. time under tension burns the **** outta the muscle.

this has been argued since weight lifting began about the right number of sets and reps, the only way to really figure it out is process of elimination for your body type. what works for others may not work for you.

but i would suggest trying between the 6-8 rep range and drop just a couple of sets.

Tankette
05-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Thank you everyone for the input. It is greatly appreciated. Tomorrow is my off, but it all starts over again on Thursday, so I'll be sure to put it to use. In the meantime, I need to sit down w/ my notebook and refigure a few things.

Aka - Thank you for the studies, you are always so informative. Do you use this high intensity, low volume method? How many sets do you usually do, and how has it worked for you personally?

Tankette
05-27-2003, 10:34 PM
Aka - Nix the third degree. I snuck a closer peak at your journal. It seems that you usually do 1 to 2 sets and that it's working quite well for you. Good resource. Thank you.

aka23
05-28-2003, 12:15 AM
Aka - Thank you for the studies, you are always so informative. Do you use this high intensity, low volume method? How many sets do you usually do, and how has it worked for you personally?

For years, I used to do 3 sets at the same weight on every exercise. My gains were quite slow, probably due to overtraining and too few calories. A couple months ago, I started a high intensity low volume program.

I work most body parts 2x per week in the following schedule:

Monday -- Rest
Tuesday -- Pull (emphasis freeweights)
Wednesday -- Legs & Abs (emphasis freeweights)
Thursday -- Push (emphasis freeweights)
Friday -- Rest
Saturday -- 1/2 body Pull (emphasis machines)
Sunday -- 1/2 body Push (emphasis machines)

I reduce the number of sets in a given workout to avoid overtraining. I do 1 or 2 sets per exerise. When I do two sets, I do them at different weights and reps. I usually do 1-3 exercises per body part in each workout. I do more exercises on larger body parts, like the quads, back, and chest.

This unique method has worked well for me. All of my exercises have improved during the 7 weeks I have followed this program. I have averaged 1lb muscle gain per week while losing a small amount of body fat.

Note that certain more typical programs such as WBB1 (WannaBeBig1) also follow a high intensity low volume method. This WBB1 program is much more common, simpler, and has more proven results than my workout schedule.

Bam Bam
05-28-2003, 11:30 AM
So spill the beans hows the new gym??

Tankette
05-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Aka - Thank you. I'm going to follow your example starting with my next workout...tomorrow.

Bam Bam - Well, I went to Universal Fitness today to buy a membership, but the woman working wasn't the friendliest in the world. The guys that work there are awesome, but this woman kind of put me off, so I went to All American to compare. I'm not a big fan of All American b/c the sales people are just that...sales people. Not to mention that I have a stigma against chains. The woman that was helping me was a b*tch, and the lowest price that she said she could offer me was horrible. Luckily, on my way out the door, one of the guys pulled me to the side and offered me a much better deal (better by like 60 bucks). I'm going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow before my workout. They both have about the same quality of machines etc. All American is larger, so they have more machines, but they also have more members. I'm not a big fan of chains. Universal is privately owned, and the male owners/ managers are really nice and informative (more so than at AA). I'd also probably be more comfortable working out there b/c it's smaller. On the other hand, I know a girl that works out pretty hard at All American, and a membership there would probably benefit me in that I could work out w/her a couple of times per week. I'm going to buy a membership tomorrow no matter what. I haven't yet decided at which gym. The price difference is negligable. What do you guys think?

Tankette
05-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Well, I decided to go w/ Universal b/c it's smaller and a higher percentage of the people who work out there are physically fit. Also there are a lot less women that work out there. Women can be so moody (myself included). All and all, I made the right decision. I tested it out today, and everyone was very helpful. I had a great work out, and I left anticipating my return tomorrow.

As you know, I've been thinking about how to change up my work out. The primary reason that I didn't start out w/ the WBB routine in the first place is b/c I didn't have all of the right equipment to do so at home until recently. Well, now I do have the right equipment not to mention a perfectly good gym membership. So I took Aka, Webb, and Ghetto's advice to lower the amount of sets/reps that I perform per muscle group. My workout today took a lot less time than usual. I think all of my workouts (not including cardio and abs) are going to take around 45 min to an hour at most :D. I actually left the gym today feeling great and wearing a grin as big as a teen age boy's who's just lost his virginity. I'm going to start over w/day 1 on Monday so that I'll have off on the weekends, but I decided to go ahead and try each of the three weighted work outs over the next three days to familiarize myself w/the gym. After that it'll be one workout per muscle group per week just like the routine suggests. I'll do cardio and abs on my off days except on the day after legs on which I'll not do cardio as per Webb's suggestion.

5/29 -

sleep - ~8 hours

diet -

2 eggs, toast, oatmeal
protein bar
grilled chick salad w/balsamic vinegarette
post workout whey protein, skim milk, and 1/2 tbsp honey
chinese food - szechuan wonton soup & eggplant over rice
It's 7:30. There's sure to be more.

workout -

chest:
BB Bench - 75x8 (2 assisted) 75x4 (1 assisted) - the first set felt great but the second, not so much. I felt fine until the fourth rep which I went up about half way, and it slowly started coming back down. My spotter milked it up the rest of the way, but by then, I had nothing left.

Low Incline DB Press - 20x8, 25x6 - My first time for DB press. My left arm is definitely holding me back. I tried the 25s first, but couldn't even get up one rep w/ my left arm although my right was fine. So I went down to the 20s and got up 8 pretty easily. I went back to the 25s and was able to knock out 6, all though my left was a little shaky on the last two. I guess I just needed to warm up a bit.

Dips (unassisted) - 6, 4 - Wow, a lot harder than bench dips. Shaky, but I did'em!!!

Chins - 5, 4 - I was able to do 9, 7 before, but I've gone down. Possible reasons: 1) I way a few pounds more now (but I've gotten stronger too, so that doesn't work) 2) I used to do them at the very beginning of the work out (but this was my first back exercise, so I should have been okay). Oh, well...So much for excuses.

Dead Lift - 115 x 8, 135 x 6 - 115 was too easy, and I probably could have gone up from 135, but again I lost my grip...this time after 3 reps. I've already bought the straps that Webb suggested, but I forgot to take them w/ me today. That won't happen again.

BB rows - (actually, I used the T-bar) - 45x8, 55x8 - I liked using the t-bar a lot. The first set was nice, but I felt like I could go up a little. However, on the second set I felt a bit fatigued, so although my form was good for the most part, I don't think I got that little squeeze in at the end.

DB Shrugs - 35 x 10 - I started out w/ the 45s, but they were too heavy. I went down to 35s, but I think I could try 40s next time.

I'd like to thank everyone for their awesome advice. It is greatly appreciated, please continue. Constructive criticism is always welcome, and if I ask questions, it's b/c I really want to know the answers not b/c I doubt your advice. I'd also like to thank you for encouraging me to join a gym. Best decision I've made so far ;) .

MrWebb78
05-29-2003, 07:15 PM
yay you did fewer sets and reps!!!! and dont you still feel like you just got your butt kicked??

one small suggestion i may add, with any lift, but especially bench, you mentioned how you were pushing half way up but the bar was coming back down, have your spotter help to get it up and then let it fall back down while youre pushing against it.....those negatives are incredible for stimulation(if any of that just made any sense).

Tankette
05-30-2003, 11:09 AM
It made sense. Will do. Thanks Webb, dear.

Tankette
05-30-2003, 03:33 PM
5/30

Diet:

2 whole eggs, 1 ww toast, oatmeal
2 whole eggs w/ a little chedder and a banana nut muffin
Homemade protein bar
post work out whey protein w/milk and 1/2 tbsp honey
natty pb & banana sandwich on ww
It's not quite 4:00, so there's sure to be plenty more.

Legs is the next work out on the WBB; however, my arse was still a little sore from tues. so I did shoulders and bi's. (I skipped tri's b/c I did dips yesterday, and they were a little sore.) I don't plan to use weights every day. I'm just taking a couple of days to learn my way around the gym. Monday I'll start the MWF chest/back, legs, shoulders/tri's/bi's routine.

Jogged a mile and a quarter at 6.5 mph to warm up.

I did a set of 10 at ~1/2 weigh on each exercise to warm up. (Except on military press b/c I did it after seated DB press.)

shoulders -

Seated DB Press - 20x10, 25x5, 25x8 - there's an extra set in there b/c I was trying to find my weight.
Lateral DB raises - 8x10, 8x10
Military Press - 50x8 (2 assisted), 50x8 (2 assisted)

bi's -

BB curls - 50x8 (2 assisted), 50x7 (6 assisted) :( 2nd set was too much. Couldn't do it w/o help & probably should have shedded 5 lbs. I did a set of hammer curls in between sets of BB curls while I was waiting for my spotter. Maybe I should've rested a little longer between sets.
Hammer curls - 20x8, 20x8 - had to spot left hand w/ right on the last two reps of each set.

Left the gym feeling great again. I kind of didn't want to go, but I had finished my work out. Oh, well...I get to go back and do legs tomorrow.

MrWebb78
05-30-2003, 05:50 PM
if you think about it, next time you do lateral raises, try them on the cables...theyre brutal and i fell in love with them

Tankette
05-30-2003, 09:04 PM
I will. Why do you like them more than DBs?

the doc
05-30-2003, 09:06 PM
cables will provide a more constant resistance than Dbs

MrWebb78
05-30-2003, 09:19 PM
yeah what doc said!

and i like exercises that burn/hurt....and those definately do, they make me feel like i've actually accomplished something.

Tankette
05-31-2003, 09:22 AM
Muchas gracias Webb and Doc. I'll try out the cables next Fri. Good feeling...accomplishment that is. Speaking of which. My back is sore from working it two days ago. A good kind of sore (not achiness...sp?).

It was the first time that I did deadlifts (not SLDLs). When I did them, I set the bar up on a rack so that it came to just under my knees. The idea was to keep my legs out of it as much as possible since the goal was to work back. It seems to have worked. Does anyone see a problem w/ doing them this way?

Also, I just weighed for the week. Still at 106 :(. I haven't been watching my calories as closely as before. I've figured the breakdown of common meals and snacks that I eat, and have been guesstimating my caloric intake at between 2500 to 2800/day...laziness, I tell you. I guess I'd better get my @$$ back to fitday.

My favorite spotter has changed to the morning shift, so I may have to start working out earlier. Otherwise the woman will be there. She's grim. I know that there are others who wouldn't mind spotting me, but I feel like I'm imposing upon their work out, and I don't want them to think that I'm flirting w/them. Besides, I like the way this guy lets me do all of the work and just milks it up a little when I'm stuck.

Earlier, we (Webb and I...and my spotter at the gym, who's damn fit BTW) decided that my purchasing creatine was a waste of money; however, I gotta say that I've never felt better after a work out or had more energy throughout the work out than I have in the last few days. This could be due to many factors: more sleep (gotta love the Summer); working out earlier in the day; shorter, more efficient work outs; and/or creatine. I must admit that even though my work outs are shorter, I was beginning to get worn out midway through my work out before I changed it up. I'm not sure which factor has made the most difference or if it is a combination of all of them, but I'm loving it!!! :D

Before when I tried the powdered creatine, I felt no difference. It was old stuff, maybe it has a shelf life although I didn't see an exp. date. What I bought is a serum. It claims that you don't have to load it. You just take it on an empty stomach 30 min before you work out. Having an empty stomach is the hard part. Well I don't know if that's what's making the difference. Either way, I probably won't buy it again. It's too damn expensive, and Oklahoma teachers don't get paid jack.

Enough rambling for now. Off to the gym.

MrWebb78
05-31-2003, 12:12 PM
i tried the serum once before, and i do recall the first 2 or 3 workouts with it were exceptionally more energized, but after that there was no significant differance. so maybe it was the creatine.

as for the deadlifts, i think you should do them off the floor. your legs are used minimally anyways on the lift and im sure you will still feel it in your back when youre done.

about your weight...how do you look compared to when you started?? ive noticed its more important to use the mirror instead of the scale. due to the whole body compostion change.

anyways, what this journal needs are more pics!!!! so like, post lots!

Tankette
05-31-2003, 11:05 PM
Okay, I'll do the deads from the floor next time.

I can tell a difference in over-all body composition. I think I've cut back down on that little belly I was getting, but not enough to see my abs again, which is fine...I wasn't planning to go looking for them for another month or so. BTW, I used one of those extremely inaccurate electronic BF calculators that you enter your height, weight, and age, and you hold at arm's length. It said I had 9.6% BF. I'm sure it's more than that, but I haven't a clue how much more. The good news is that I haven't lost the two pounds that I gained last week.

As for the pics, you'll just have to wait, Webb, ya big perv. I'll post some as soon as I get around to it ;).

5/31

sleep: ~7 hours
diet: ~2600 cals

2 eggs, 1 ww toast, plain oatmeal
post work out whey protein w/ skim milk & 1/2 tbsp honey
1 home-made protein bar
cantaloupe and strawberries
natty pb & banana sandwich
another home-made protein bar
1/2 brownie :D
sweet potato, egg, banana, orange

supps: same as usual - multi, E, C, Fish/flax oils, biotin, creatine serum, whey protein

Work Out: legs

leg curls: 40x8, 40x7
hack squats: (on a machine) 115x8, 140x8 - I didn't know how much weight to do. This was my first time to do hack squats. Next time I'll start w/140.
SLDL - 135x8, 145x8 - wrist straps made a huge difference...HUGE. Squeezed my butt cheeks together as I came up. Could feel that for quite a while.
Squats - 115x6, 115x6 - Next time I'll do squats first and maybe I'll be able to add more weight. I waited b/c I went to the gym a little earlier this time, and I didn't know anybody, so I felt weird asking for a spot. Finally I just sucked it up and asked. I should have done so earlier. Everyone was really cool about it. The SLDLs killed my arse, so I was quite wobbly during both sets.
Standing calf raises - 175 x10 (4x) 1 set toe out - For some reason all 4 sets felt uncomfortable. Tried to flex calves at the top and go down slowly, but I'm not sure how well I did. Probably couldn't have done more weight; however, it didn't burn as much as it usually does w/ less weight and more reps.

The woman that I called grim was working, and I made an effort to speak with her. She's a little stand-offish, but once you talk to her a bit she's actually quite nice. I take back all of the negative things that I said about her.

I played in two hold 'em tournaments tonight at my in-laws. Eight people at the table, 2 or 3 of them serious poker players. I won both tourneys...Yipee! Going to Tunica in 3 weeks.

MrWebb78
06-01-2003, 05:19 AM
calf raises always feel uncomfy to me. another suggestion to vary exercises, try the calf raises on the hack machine, they feel pretty good and hurt bad the next day.

i dont think those BF thingies are that bad, probably have to give or take 3%, but it puts you in the ballpark anyways. you can always do a search on bodyfat percent, and find some big long math formula for measuring, where you take your measurements and your weight and do some nifty math thing to figure it out, if im not too lazy later ill find it and post it up.

and youre the 3rd person this week to call me a perv, im starting to think i am.

Tankette
06-01-2003, 08:41 AM
If I try calves on the hack machine next time, people won't look at me like I'm an idiot will they?

Tankette
06-01-2003, 09:05 AM
Okay, I found one online and took my measurements. It says that I'm at 12.6% BF. If that's the case, I think my goal when cutting will be 10%. Not to shabby, eh. that's ~3lbs of fat. I should be able to shed that in a couple of weeks, right?

MrWebb78
06-01-2003, 04:13 PM
lol so what if people look at you funny, thats because they dont really know how to work out.....at least thats what i say when people look at me funny.

12.6% is actually low for a female, i think ideally it should be around 15% or so, mostly because girls have boobies. but thats still healthy.

and what is this strange talk of cutting??? youre sposed to be bulking young lady!

Tankette
06-01-2003, 08:20 PM
Don't laugh...I'm just a little thing.

Tankette
06-01-2003, 08:22 PM
:cool:

Tankette
06-01-2003, 08:23 PM
:D

Tankette
06-01-2003, 08:25 PM
:)

Tankette
06-01-2003, 08:26 PM
:p

Mystic Eric
06-01-2003, 09:22 PM
You look very nice tankette.

Tankette
06-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Thank you Eric...Love the dog. Don't think SP's too fond of her though.

GhettoSmurf
06-02-2003, 04:45 AM
i agree, pics are looking very good.

MrWebb78
06-02-2003, 05:08 AM
woohoo!!

*pulls out his $1's*

Tankette
06-02-2003, 08:18 AM
You may as well put them back, Webb. You'll never get the chance to use them on me :).

Tankette
06-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Thanks, G

clvmike19
06-02-2003, 08:50 AM
Nice pics. We'd love to have our first female WBBSA member :D Hell yes!

MrWebb78
06-02-2003, 03:56 PM
i was just reorganizing my wallet....not using them on you...geez!

Mystic Eric
06-02-2003, 06:26 PM
i was just reorganizing my wallet....not using them on you...geez!

lol!

I was just thinking tankette, wouldn't it be rather weird if one of your high school students posted on here and found out that you posted on here?

Tankette
06-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Webb: Ahem...Bu||$h!+ ;)

6/2

sleep - ~ 8 hours

diet -

-as of 7:00 p.m. ~1200 cals...need to play catch up

2 eggs, 1 w toast, 1 cup plain oatmeal
3/4 homemade protein bar
1 post work out whey protein, 8 oz skim milk & 1/2 Tbsp honey
1 Arby's market fresh roast turkey sandwich minus the cheese and mayo.

work out -

warm up - 1) ran a little over a mile at 6.5 mph 2) warm up set of 10 reps at a little more than 1/2 weight for each exercise

chest -

BB Bench - 75x9 (1 assisted), 75x6 (2 assisted) - went up reps on both sets :)
Low incline DB Press - 25x10, 25x10 - Was aiming for 8, but was able to keep going. Tried to move up to 30s after the 1st set, but left side couldn't hack it for even 1 rep. Maybe next week. Went up 2 reps on the 1st set and 4 on the 2nd :)
Dips - 8 (4 assisted), 6 (4 assisted) - last time I was able to get 6 and 4...the majority unassisted although I was so shaky that it seemed like each rep would be my last. This time someone ran up to spot me before I could see how many I could do on my own. On the other hand, I don't think it would have been more, maybe not even as many, as last time.

Back -

Chins - 4, 3 :confused: - last time I got 5,4. I guess I was a bit worn out.
Deads - 135x8, 155x8 - Went up weight and reps :). Last time I did 135x6 (2x). Wrist straps helped sooo much. However, I did them w/o a belt...STUPID. I'm fine, but I don't think I'll try it again. Everyone around me was cringing in pain, but no one had a belt small enough, and I was too stubborn to quit. I went out and purchased one immediately after my work out.
T-Bar Rows - 55x6, 45x7 :confused: - did 45x8, 55x8 last time. This time I started at 55, but had to go down to 45 for 2nd set b/c I wasn't getting the ROM that I needed for that 'lil squeeze at the end.
DB shrugs - 35x10, 25x10 - was planning to do one set, but went down weight and did another b/c again, I wasn't getting a good ROM.

Was worn out after my work out today. Maybe because I hadn't eaten enough beforehand. Well, time to go make some more protein bars.

Tankette
06-02-2003, 06:49 PM
It's okay if they do. I'm not the perv. Webb is. Besides, if one of my kids were to read this journal or even look at my profile, they'd know right away that it's me. Although I guess the down side to that is that I might not know that it's them :confused:.

GhettoSmurf
06-02-2003, 07:52 PM
It's okay if they do. I'm not the perv. Webb is. Besides, if one of my kids were to read this journal or even look at my profile, they'd know right away that it's me. Although I guess the down side to that is that I might not know that it's them :confused:.

lol blackmail for life! :D

Tankette
06-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Blackmail??? I'm just trying to gain a few pounds, not earn a few bucks...the Webb way :moon:.

clvmike19
06-02-2003, 09:25 PM
I dance for nickels and cans of tuna......

Alke
06-02-2003, 09:43 PM
hey tankette, you gots some strong lifts! there arent too many girls who can do chins running around my gym.

your deads looks GREAT!! I dont know about using a belt though, I used to use a belt for lifts myself a lot, but once I started using my stomach differently, I found I didnt need one anymore.... I read that you should push your stomach out, creating an almost pregnat look to your stomach, so that you create tension all the way around your mid section. as long as you keep this tension throughout the lift it acts just like a belt (only naturally). just me rambling but I thought I would throw that out for you to think about......

What are those homemade protein bars things you have listed?

GhettoSmurf
06-03-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Kenn

What are those homemade protein bars things you have listed?

i beieve she is referring to Big-Rons protein bars in the recipes section. (but its just a guess)

btw Tanketter- did you ever add creatine to the bars like you were going to try?

Tankette
06-03-2003, 07:59 AM
Yeah, they're Big Ron's Every Bite's a Winner bars on the recipe forum. However, I make a double batch and cut them into 18 bars (about the size of a granola bar) so that they have 20g protein, 18g fat, and 39g carbs (about 386 cals).

No, I never added creatine b/c I ended up buying the serum, and it's to damn expensive to mess with IMO.

Tankette
06-03-2003, 08:03 AM
Mike - Sorry, man, I only have the packs of tuna.

Kenn - Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement, and thanks for the advice, too. I'll put that to use on most exercises although I may go ahead and use one on deads just so I don't have to watch everyone around me cringe in pain :). It's kind of distracting. Luckily, my back is just fine today although my left shoulder is a little sore :confused:. I didn't even work shoulders. Probably from dips.

Alex.V
06-03-2003, 08:09 AM
Ya don't need a belt for deads. ;) (Tell the people around you that I said so. They'll kinda look at each other and go "uhhh, what?"

never mind)

But really... I'm not sure I'd ever recommend a belt on deads.

Those are excellent, though. I'd still keep the rep range lower on them, though (at higher weight)... 5-6 reps per set. I know you were moving up this time, but if you can hit 8 reps, chances are it's just systemic exhaustion that stopped you, not muscular failure.

Tankette
06-03-2003, 08:31 AM
Two against one, I guess I won't use the belt. Thank you Kenn and Belial ;). And I'll definitely go up weight next time. I welcome any reason for that.

Quick ? - I heard that the average man should be able to bench 80% his body weight. I know that most of you do more than that, but that's b/c you are more dedicated to weight lifting than the average man. So I've set my goal as a woman at 80%. My question is around what percentage of his body weight do you think that the average man should be able to squat, deadlift...etc?

I don't want a man's body, but this should help me a little in goal setting and in keeping my upper and lower body in balance.

Alex.V
06-03-2003, 08:36 AM
That's a tough call... Most 170-180 pound guys I know can pick up a good 225 on deads after a few tries.. but not enough people do them, really, to get a good cross section. I'd say 1.75x your bodyweight on deads (if only because I'd consider a two plate deadlift pretty good for a woman your size), and maybe 1.5x on squats (to parallel) is a comparable goal... at least, relatively proportional.

Depends how far down the line you're looking... but I don't think either of those goals would require huge muscle gain at all.

Tankette
06-03-2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks B. My goal is to be 110 lbs @ ~10% bf. I'm really not that far off. I hope to reach it in a couple of months. I'm ~106 or 107 at ~13% or so.

Belial - Most 170-180 pound guys I know can pick up a good 225 on deads after a few tries..

Sorry for sounding stupid, but "after a few tries" sounds like they max this weight. Should my goal be to work out w/ 2 plates or to be able to lift them once? My bench goal is to be able to do 80% my bw at least 6X.

ElPietro
06-03-2003, 08:52 AM
No, I never added creatine b/c I ended up buying the serum, and it's to damn expensive to mess with IMO.

Just popped in for the first time, this is the first thing that I read. I hate to break it to you, but you may as well pour this stuff down the drain, for all it's doing for you.

You can search on the forums for creatine serum threads, but it's pretty common knowledge that it is pretty much junk by the time it hits the shelf, due to instability in liquid form. Powder is cheaper, and works, so I'd highly recommend picking up a tub of that, and maybe you can sell the serum to some kid at the gym. :p

Tankette
06-03-2003, 09:01 AM
Thanks Pietro, I think that we've already come to that consensus; however, I'll go ahead and finish it up since I've already got it. Any type of creatine is probably just a waste for me anyway, but if I try it again in the future, I'll get the powder. It doesn't seem to be doing me any harm, and often gives me quite an energy boost.

the doc
06-03-2003, 09:03 AM
creatine is not a waste. The liquid is though. Buy some of the pure monohydrate powder. mix it with your liquid, but just get some powder :)

ElPietro
06-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Ah ok, I was wondering why nobody said anything after your post on the stuff.

Tankette
06-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks, doc and pietro. I actually went to buy the monohydrate powder, but the guy at the store talked me into the liquid. He believed what he was selling and wasn't just trying to pawn off an expensive product. I bought it w/o doing any research beforehand...Dumb, I know.

Tankette
06-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Excuses, excuses.

the doc
06-03-2003, 11:33 AM
well knowing is half the battle...

YO JOE!!!!!

Alke
06-03-2003, 11:44 AM
hey tankette, I would go light the first few times you go without a belt for your lifts, your body/mindset will have gotten used to having it their and also your lifts will feel different without the belt.

you could probably hit @200+ for a 1RM if your doing 155 for reps IMO, if you wanted to 1RM maybe hit 135x6 155x4 175x2 (then start hitting 1RM's) 195x1 205x1 215x1 ..........

just know that you will be pretty stiff from 1RM's, since your targetting as much weight as you can handle for 1 rep they fatigue the body differently than doing a weight for 8-10 reps

Mystic Eric
06-03-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks Pietro, I think that we've already come to that consensus; however, I'll go ahead and finish it up since I've already got it. Any type of creatine is probably just a waste for me anyway, but if I try it again in the future, I'll get the powder. It doesn't seem to be doing me any harm, and often gives me quite an energy boost.

tuttut. That's not rational in an econcomic sense. The money you spent on the liquid creatine is a sunk cost. Whether you use it or not, you will never see the money back again. The only reason you should use it is if the marginal benefits are great than the marginal costs and since the original price you paid (a sunk cost) isn't a factor, and that the liquid creatine is doing more harm than good, you should throw that crap away!!!! :D

Alke
06-03-2003, 01:24 PM
i was thinking of adding creatine soon and I was wondering about the liquid stuff.....looks like the general consensus is that the powder is better...:)

Tankette
06-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Nice logic there, Eric, man of tomorrow...Maybe I'm just trying to trick myself into believing that I didn't waste $50 bucks on a 250 ml bottle of creatanine. Please allow me to do that for just a little while longer :).

Tankette
06-03-2003, 04:33 PM
6/3 - off day

sleep - ~ 9 hours + an hour nap...still feeling a little worn out from yesterday. My traps are pretty sore, and my left shoulder still a bit sore too. Woke up around 5:00 this morning starved even though I ate right before bed. Had a whey protein w/milk to tide me over 'til breakfast.

diet - as of 5:00 p.m. ~1740 cals

2 eggs, 1 ww toast, 1 cup oatmeal
some cantaloupe and a banana
glass of milk
all natural apple sauce
protein bar
whey protein w/8 oz skim milk & tbsp honey
another protein bar

exercise:

cardio - ran 45 min @ 6.5 mph ~ 5 mi.

abs - 50 crunches, 50 rev. crunches, 50 side crunches

*I wanted to try hanging leg raises. However, I hadn't done abs in a while, and I was already quite worn out from running and yesterday's work out, so I stuck to familiar territory.

Tankette
06-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Kenn - Thanks

Tankette
06-04-2003, 10:11 AM
diet after 7:00 p.m.- ~1250 more cals - was hungry - ~3000 total

some beef w/vegetables and cous-cous
natty pb and banana sandwich on ww bread
another banana and a glass of skim milk
a little banana fritter type thing that my stepmother made - heavenly
an egg

Tankette
06-04-2003, 10:12 AM
hopefully my increase in calories yesterday will make up for the ~700 I spent doing cardio and abs.

GhettoSmurf
06-04-2003, 10:31 AM
diet after 7:00 p.m.- ~1250 more cals - was hungry - ~3000 total

some beef w/vegetables and cous-cous
natty pb and banana sandwich on ww bread
another banana and a glass of skim milk
a little banana fritter type thing that my stepmother made - heavenly
an egg

wow was that all in one sitting?

talk about a girl that can eat!! :D

Tankette
06-04-2003, 10:36 AM
not in one sitting. through out the evening. was up 'til 2

Tankette
06-04-2003, 05:23 PM
6/4 -

Sleep - ~ 8 hours

Diet - cals?
as if 6:00 p.m.

2 eggs, 2 ww toast, 1 cup oatmeal
glass o' milk
1 protein bar
post work out whey prot. w/8oz milk & 1/2 tbsp honey
1 roll of crab, cucumber, and avocado sushi, 1 egg/rice thingy, and 3 or 4 dim sum type thingies w/ pork and shrimp - yum

work out - legs

squats - 115x8, 115x8...should've gone up weight, but felt uncomfortable w/my spotter. I'll do it next time no matter what.

hack squat machine - 140x8, 160x8...Did 140 both sets last time. I'll start at 160 next time and prob go up to 180.

SLDL - 145x8, 145x8...considered going up weight, but damn, it was heavy. Need to bend knees ever so slightly according to man at gym.

leg curls - 40x7, 40x6...Couldn't go up, actually lost a rep on each set;however, I think I did leg curls first last week.

standing calf raises- 140x10, 160x10, 180x10, 180x10 . Used hack squat machine (thanks Webb); a lot more comfortable. started out low and added weight as I went. Didn't know if the weight would feel different on this machine than it did w/the other. It didn't. I'll start w/180 next time and maybe go up.

carolinagirl
06-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Hi!

Nice to see another girl around this all-male revue......especially one who's doing things right.

Nice-looking workouts and impressive weights (especially considering that you haven't been lifting that long and that you're just a lil' thang!)

And.....I can't even do unassisted pullups. :mad: I'll just go kill myself now, shall I?

(Of course, I do weigh about 55 lbs more than you......I wonder if that may have something to do with it.......nah. I'm still going to have to commit ritual suicide over this one.) :D

Anyhow, welcome.

Tankette
06-04-2003, 05:50 PM
CG, that may have quite a bit to do with it. When you're as little as I am, you don't need much strength to pull yourself up. Thanks for the encouragement... It's nice to hear from another woman who understands that there is more to life than cardio!

MrWebb78
06-04-2003, 07:21 PM
see! hack calves rule!! tomorrow they should hurt lots....if not then you arent doing them right. just kidding.

Tankette
06-04-2003, 07:57 PM
No one laughed. In fact, I wasn't the only one in there doing them on the hack. I can see why. I plan to use more weight next time, so if they aren't sore tomorrow, they should be after next week's calf work out.

MrWebb78
06-04-2003, 08:14 PM
thats one advantage of a gym vs. working out at home....ya get to see what other people are doing and try it out(if it looks challenging).

Mystic Eric
06-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Soreness doesn't = growth ;)

Tankette
06-04-2003, 08:22 PM
we know, we know...but it does=sense of accomplishment :).

MrWebb78
06-04-2003, 10:09 PM
using old school mentality, which i like to do alot....

soreness=muscle stimulation=growth ;)

Mystic Eric
06-04-2003, 10:29 PM
using old school mentality, which i like to do alot....

soreness=muscle stimulation=growth ;)

The muscle stimulation has to be greater than a certain threshold of tension level that the muscle can withstand to = growth ;)

Tankette
06-05-2003, 08:53 AM
:boring:

Tankette
06-05-2003, 08:56 AM
We've all read the same info, Eric...some of us just have to learn for ourselves....or choose to listen to our bodies. Doesn't mean it's right; it just makes us feel better. And that's a big part of why we are here, is it not?

Mystic Eric
06-05-2003, 01:08 PM
We've all read the same info, Eric...some of us just have to learn for ourselves....or choose to listen to our bodies. Doesn't mean it's right; it just makes us feel better. And that's a big part of why we are here, is it not?

Well I didn't mean to offend you nor your friend Mr. Webb in anyway. I'm sorry and I'll stay out of your journal from now on...

GhettoSmurf
06-05-2003, 02:36 PM
wow tal kabout a b!tch slap to eric... ;) j/k

Tankette
06-05-2003, 06:00 PM
I'm sorry, Eric, I didn't mean to run you off. Your input is always welcome here...I'll try to be more appreciative :).

Tankette
06-05-2003, 06:19 PM
6/5

sleep - plenty
diet - aight
work-out - off - boring

did some light ab work...haven't done hanging leg raises yet. shoulder still hurts :(. I'll have to skip it tomorrow and just work tris and bis.

Alex.V
06-05-2003, 09:23 PM
That update kinda sucked. I mean, just so you know.

Tankette
06-05-2003, 09:26 PM
You suck, Alex.

Tankette
06-05-2003, 09:28 PM
:p

Shankerr
06-05-2003, 10:12 PM
you're quite right, Alex does suck :)

training is looking solid! I'l give my official welcome to ya now as well :) Even though I'm a bit late on the draw!

Tankette
06-05-2003, 10:15 PM
thanks, shane

Alke
06-06-2003, 08:37 AM
hey tankette, NICE leg day, Your SLDL's are looking great! I know what you mean about the knees, I just started doing them in feb and I have to remind myself not to lock my knees. I am not sure if it is a REALLY bad thing to do, but a lot of people have said not to do that........

looks like you had chinese that day or did you cook those egg/rice thingy's yourself?

WOW, your last workout must have been the end to a LONG day...........

Tankette
06-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the feed back on the SLDLs. I was told that a slight bend of the knees takes a little pressure off of the lower back???

Yes, Asian food, yum

You must be referring to my snap at Eric...Sorry again, Eric.

Well, my shoulder still hurts...I guess I'm gonna have to change up my routine a bit and try to lay off of it for a couple of weeks. Frustrating. Screw it, I may as well cut down the cals a bit and go looking for those abs again. I know that they're here somewhere. I'd kind of like to see what I look like underneath anyway. Shouldn't take too long. Hope I don't lose too much of my muscle gain. That would be frustrating .:mad:

Shankerr
06-06-2003, 12:24 PM
How long had you planned on bulking for before going into a cut and getting your abs back??

Alke
06-06-2003, 01:46 PM
asain food is the best! You always get your moneys worth when you eat chinese/asian. I really dont like going to places like Olive Garden or something and you spend 12.00 for a tiny plate of food......

no no, I was referring to your VERY short workout post LOL

Tankette
06-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Oh, that's just because I didn't lift that day, or did I? :) Everything's starting to run together, and I'm too lazy to look back.

6/6

Diet: Next to nothing :(
8:00 total w/skim
10:00 1 scoop whey protein w/water
2:00 post work out whey protein w/water and 1/2 tbsp honey
3:00 protein bar

Well, today I took it easy b/c of my shoulder...Which is killing me by the way, but I'll get to that in a sec.

warm up: ran 10 min at 6.5 mph (a little over a mile)

concentration curls: 20x8, 25x6 (2 assisted) - 20s easy, 25s not so much
DB curls: 15x8, 20x8, 20x8 - 15s easy, 20s not hard
JM presses - 45x8, 50x8, 55x8...liked 'em (thanks B)
cable pulldown tri ext- 50x5, 40x8, 40x8 - okay, nothing special.
* My shoulder was aching between sets.

chins- 1x6 - stupid

Okay, so I was talking w/ someone at the gym about chins...Being the idiot that I often am, I jumped up on the bar and whipped out a set of 6 no prob. On one hand, I finally have gotten out of my chin slump. On the other, STUPID. My left shoulder didn't hurt at all in the act; however, afterwards when I dropped down, I felt the wrath of the idiot demon. I smiled, told everyone to have a nice day, picked up my bag (w/ my right hand), and walked out of the gym w/ a straight face. Then I drove to Wal*Mart for an Ice pack, aspirin, and glucosamine. Whimpering like a baby the entire way. BTW, it's quite hard to shift, steer, and drink a protein shake all w/ one hand.

Well, tomorrow and Sunday I have off, so I guess I'll just run a few miles and do some ab work. Hopefully this won't jog my gimp shoulder to much. Monday is supposed to be Chest/Back; however, I doubt that will happen. I can do legs on Wednesday as usual, but otherwise, I might be reduced to cardio for the next couple of weeks. Oh well. Better than blowing out my shoulder and being out for even longer.

*oddly enough my shoulder never hurt during sets, only while resting...granted I didn't do any shoulder work nor overhead tricep work i.e. skull crushers.

Tankette
06-06-2003, 03:09 PM
Okay, so I've just been informed that cutting while not being able to work out effectively is bad. So I'm going to go eat something b/c I'm damn hungry. :)

Alex.V
06-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Seriously. What's up with <600 calories of powder and cereal? little girl.

Tankette
06-06-2003, 03:52 PM
closer to 1,000 thanks

Tankette
06-06-2003, 03:54 PM
BTW, Ah-ley-hahn-drrrrrrro, the unagi was bastante sabroso :drooling:.

Alex.V
06-06-2003, 03:56 PM
:moon: My bad. Still... my workouts would be crap on that few calories before.

Alex.V
06-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Estoy alegre para ti. I am starving, and dinner isn't until 8. :(

Tankette
06-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Well, I didn't do much anyway b/c of this bum shoulder. Gimme a sec and I'll whine a little more.

Tankette
06-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Keep baring that :moon:, B...We all know how you like it.

Alex.V
06-06-2003, 04:05 PM
jackass. I'm warning you...

Tankette
06-06-2003, 04:11 PM
give it your best

Alex.V
06-06-2003, 04:47 PM
I called a truce. You couldn't handle my best.

GhettoSmurf
06-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Belial
I called a truce. You couldn't handle my best.

better watch it B... she might b!tch slap you like she did Eric ;)

Tankette
06-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Hey, now...I'm not that bad, am I? Feel the love in this journal. Can you feel it?

And I would never slap B. He's too damn big.

Tankette
06-06-2003, 09:22 PM
BTW, aspirin is a miracle drug...I feel sooooo much better.

Alke
06-06-2003, 09:48 PM
just a 'lil thing but damn she's got spunk! LOL

watch that shoulder tankette, you dont want to over do it. hope it gets better soon!

Alex.V
06-06-2003, 11:22 PM
She's a softie, she'd never bitch slap me.

Tankette
06-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Thanks Kenn

B, ya betta watch yo'self

Tankette
06-07-2003, 10:10 AM
training related comments only...please :)

Tankette
06-07-2003, 10:13 AM
So, I weighed today. I have gained 2-3 lbs in one week. What the hell? And I know that some of that is fat. Because I look fatter and I can't fit into any of my clothes. This sucks :mad:.

pruneman
06-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Just judging by the previous pic, i would say that a lot of that 2-3lb is muscle, but i haven't seen a before pic. Nontheless, you look good and i wouldn't worry about it.
Keep up the good work!

-Pman