PDA

View Full Version : Sugars in the morning?

Y2A
05-08-2003, 08:48 AM
Do you lose glycogen while you are sleeping, leaving your body in need for sugar in the morning? Or are complex carbs a better source?

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 09:21 AM
i try to just stick to lower GI carbs all day except Post Workout. so usually for breakfast ill just have some Oatmeal :D

Manveet
05-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Low GI, so oats would be a good option.

MrWebb78
05-08-2003, 09:35 AM
you guys all suck, sugary cereals were made for morning!!!! so eat up!!!!

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 05:52 PM
Sugary cereals are made for refeeds :D

Behemoth
05-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Can anybody provide some reasonable information as to why low GI would be better when your glycogen is depleted?

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Behemoth, here is a topic about low GI-refeeds

here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30313&highlight=low+GI+refeeds)

bradley
05-09-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth
Can anybody provide some reasonable information as to why low GI would be better when your glycogen is depleted?

Well both low or high GI carbs will replace muscle glycogen. After training high GI would be better because they are digested faster but otherwise low GI would be fine, but you just have to make sure that you eat enough of them to replace the lost muscle glycogen. It is a lot easier to eat 500g of high GI carbs than it is to eat 500g of low GI carbs.

I am really unsure as to what you are asking. Are you referring to refeeds or just postworkout nutrition in general?

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I am really unsure as to what you are asking. Are you referring to refeeds or just postworkout nutrition in general?

i think we are talking about the GI of carbs for breakfast. IMO ive heard that it doesnt matter too much if you eat a high GI carb in the morning, like cereal, sinc eyour eating it in the morning. Personally though, I just try to eat all low-GI carbs except post-workout

YatesNightBlade
05-09-2003, 06:21 AM
Leave High GI carbs for post workout.

Oatmeal all the way in the morning.

Ironman8
05-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Also, if you're cutting, it would be wise to cut out the high GI carbs(except post workout). When you have an insulin spike, it switches your metabolism burning fat to your metabolism burning carbs.

gino
05-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Y2A
Do you lose glycogen while you are sleeping, leaving your body in need for sugar in the morning? Or are complex carbs a better source?

I'm not sure about the science behind it, but I do think it is a possibility, and I did considered it during my last cutting diet.(if this theory is correct, it's effects probably only be a factor during cutting) While cutting, along with my morning bran cereal and protein shake, I eat some fruit.

Maki Riddington
05-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Y2A

*** Your blood sugar levels will have dropped during an overnight sleep. How much of a drop is dependant on how many carbohydrates you have taken in, in a 24 hour period as well as the extent of physical activity you have engaged in previously.

Your liver is the mediator when it comes to stabilizing blood sugar levels. So if they are not full, chances are, your liver stores will become lowered because they will have to release some of it's stores to ensure blood glucose is stabilized.

Either way you'll be increasing your blood sugar levels and topping off yor liver stores.

gino
05-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Sweet, then my assumptions were *sort of* correct...

Saint Patrick
05-09-2003, 06:34 PM
I'm cutting, and I have an MRP bar for breakfast, which is about 1/2 carbs from sugar and 1/2 carbs from Low GI. (about 20g each, 40g total). I'd eat just plain oats in the morning if I had time, but I'm always in a hurry in the morning, so it's easy to grab an MRP

Ironman8
05-09-2003, 07:00 PM
Since we're on morning foods, is it true it's better to have most of your carbs in the morning?

Saint Patrick
05-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Since we're on morning foods, is it true it's better to have most of your carbs in the morning?

I'm not an expert on the subject, but the way I see it, carbs are used for energy, so it's better to have the majority of carbs during your first 3 meals, so you make sure you've burned them off before bed.

I make my last 2 meals, mostly protein and fats with maybe some veggies. I do this because if you eat carbs late at night, they won't be used for energy (unless you have a late night jog or something) and will most likely be stored as fat.

bradley
05-10-2003, 04:31 AM

I think more importantly it would be better to have your carbs centered around your training.

bradley
05-10-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick

I'm not an expert on the subject, but the way I see it, carbs are used for energy, so it's better to have the majority of carbs during your first 3 meals, so you make sure you've burned them off before bed.

I make my last 2 meals, mostly protein and fats with maybe some veggies. I do this because if you eat carbs late at night, they won't be used for energy (unless you have a late night jog or something) and will most likely be stored as fat.

Well if you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the day you will lose weight, regardless if you eat carbs at night or not. Eating fat and protein late at night will keep you satisfied longer than say a bowl of cereal, but that bowl of cereal will not magically turn into fat either.

Ironman8
05-10-2003, 07:39 AM
I think more importantly it would be better to have your carbs centered around your training.

That's a good idea. Also, would simple carbs or complex carbs be better pre-workout? (I know simple carbs are important for post-workout)

bradley
05-10-2003, 07:55 AM

That's a good idea. Also, would simple carbs or complex carbs be better pre-workout? (I know simple carbs are important for post-workout)

Complex carbs IMO are better to avoid any sudden drop in blood sugar levels which could leave you feeling lethargic during your workout.

Saint Patrick
05-10-2003, 10:02 PM

Well if you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the day you will lose weight, regardless if you eat carbs at night or not.

Are you saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to gain fat during a cut?

bradley
05-11-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick

Are you saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to gain fat during a cut?

If you are eating below maintenance calories you will lose weight is what I am saying. I am not going to say it is impossible because I am not 100% sure.

Is there any science behind this? Assuming that the person is in an overall caloric deficit at the end of the day.

bradley
05-11-2003, 09:07 AM
I wanted to add to my last statements. Assuming that the person is in an overall caloric balance and consuming adequate protein and EFA's.

I have been thinking about St. Patrick's question about whether or not you can gain fat while in a caloric deficit. I would say no if the individual was eating slightly below maintenance and consuming the proper amounts of protein and EFA's.

I also began thinking about someone whose metabolism might have slowed due to eating so few calories for an extended period of time (ie body going into starvation mode). I could see where someone in this position could gain fat but still be below maintenance calories, although would the maintenance level be considered different since his/her metabolism has slowed? Hmmm?

Y2A
05-12-2003, 09:24 AM
I would guess that maintenance is directly correlated to metabolism. So eating under maintenance should mean ALWAYS losing weight. Maintenance changes as weight goes down/metabolism slows down. IMO.

Saint Patrick
05-12-2003, 12:26 PM
Is there any science behind this

nope.

Like I said, I'm not an expert on the subject. I just try to eat the majority of my carbs earlier in the day.