PDA

View Full Version : Diet Questions Central!!

Moscow Mule
05-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Ok, I've started measuring and counting things in order to achieve that 2 grams per kilo of body weight (75kg) per day of protein, and this is what I've come up with to provide it:

Breakfast: Omelette - 2 whole eggs, 1 white
Mid Morning: Protein Shake (approx 30g of protein)
Lunch: Tin of Tuna in a sandwich (40g of protein)
Mid Afternoon: Protein Shake (approx 30g of protein)
Dinner: Large Chicken Breast / A steak etc

My questions to you the informed are:

Is the above actually going to provide enough protein?

-And- more importantly, what are essential things that should be added to the above to provide the correct amount of carbs and healthy fats???

Also, I have the distinct feeling that the above will not provide enough calories...am I correct in this assumption??

Bon Appetit!

DPG

Opps! Forgot one major one - I have brought a (pretty large) tub of protein powder which is made of soya rather than whey (living where I do at the moment there isn't exactly a huge choice in such matters!)...it tastes quite good and provides a good amount of protein without too many calories (about 300 I think)....Have I made a bad (almost Hobson's) choice with this????

Cheers!

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 10:24 AM
what are some of your goals?

cut or bulk?

also, that diet is lacking quite a bit. you definately need more EFA's, and protein. overall that doesnt look like much fod @ all, but i guess it all depends on your age, weight, height, and your goals.

Brandon7775643
05-08-2003, 12:00 PM
* Nuts and natural peanut butter is a good source of protein, fat, and calories. When you get sick of some of the stuff you're eating, or need more, consider it.

* If you're coming up short of your calorie goals, add some good oil (flax, maybe olive) to your protein shake to bring your totals up.

* It wouldn't be a bad idea to cut out one of the protein shakes and replace it with real food, but it would be better to have the two shakes than miss out on calories.

Your food choices aren't bad at all, though I suspect you need (lots?) more. There are lots of other threads on "how many calories should I eat". Take a look around.

bradley
05-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by DPG
Is the above actually going to provide enough protein?

I would guess you are getting about 150g of protein depending on how big of a portion of chicken/steak you are eating for your last meal. This would be close to your goal and you could just throw in some more egg whites/eggs in with your breakfast to get your total up a bit.

-And- more importantly, what are essential things that should be added to the above to provide the correct amount of carbs and healthy fats???

Well you need to add in some healthy fats from things like fish oil, flax oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, olive oil, etc. I would also recommend adding in some low GI carbs like oats, sweet potatoes, beans, veggies etc.

Also, I have the distinct feeling that the above will not provide enough calories...am I correct in this assumption??

Well as of right now I would say no, your current diet does not provide enough cals. After you add in some healthy fats and carbs then that will bring your total up some. The determining factor in determining your daily calories would be your current goals, cutting or bulking. Increase or decrease cals in small increments as needed each week until you are gaining/losing the desired amount of weight each week. You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track your cals.

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 06:44 PM
DPG, what are you daily calories equaling? It seems pretty low, so I suggest upping it up some by eating some of the foods people suggested here.

Moscow Mule
05-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the replies guys - helpful information!

To be honest I'm not sure exactly how many calories I'm totalling, but I'm definately going to go with the peanut butter idea (wonder how it will tast with tuna:puke:!!).

Any one know anything about the whey versus soya question??

greekboy80
05-09-2003, 01:59 PM
i have heard that soy can lower T-levels in men and women. so the soy would not be a good choice. i'd take it back and get some Whey.

Ironman8
05-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Also, I heard soy can make you grow man-boobs :D

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Also, I heard soy can make you grow man-boobs :D

you would think there would be a warning label on it then? wouldnt you!!?? ;)

bradley
05-10-2003, 05:43 AM
Greekboy80 and Ironman8-

Do you have anything to back this up?

Ironman8
05-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Well, since soy has estrogen in it, some people will say that soy protein will cause estrogen levels to rise and give you some real nice man boobs.

But I don't really believe that.

bradley
05-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Well, since soy has estrogen in it, some people will say that soy protein will cause estrogen levels to rise and give you some real nice man boobs.

Soy contains phytoestrogens which from my understanding is different from the estrogen in the human body. I have heard this before but I have yet to see any proof that soy increases estrogen levels in the human body or causes gyno. I know this argument has been tossed about many times.

But I don't really believe that

Why did you post it then?:confused:

Ironman8
05-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by bradley
Why did you post it then?:confused:

I was saying that's what I heard.

bradley
05-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Here is an article on estrogen and phytoestrogen. Just thought it was somewhat informative:)http://www.maxsportsmag.com/science/issue12/12s3.htm

Here are a few quotes from the above article:

Phytoestrogens, or the plant "version" of estrogen found in various edible foods, such as soy and soy protein, serve primarily as weak precursors to estrogen production. The isoflavones found in soy, for example, are similar in chemical structure to human estrogen, but Shippen notes that typically such estrogens have only about 1/500th the active effect of estradiol, the most active human estrogen.

Men have fewer estrogen receptors than do women. Additionally, there is a technique for manipulating these sites in men so that genuine estrogen is minimized: Shippen suggests that high levels of phytoestrogens compete with the female hormone for receptor sites, block its actions -- which can include some inhibition of pituitary functions -- and stimulate the P450 system in the liver to more actively process and excrete excess estrogen.

Susan Kleiner, Ph.D, RD, author of Power Eating, notes that phytoestrogens tend to overwhelm estrogen in competing at the receptor site level. "That's why we use phytoestrogens for both men and women who have hormonal-involved cancer," such as prostate or breast cancer. So, the process is absolutely clear: If you want to block estrogen, take moderate amounts of isoflavones.Soy protein is a great source of isoflavones, providing that you can find a soy protein that has the isoflavones in it. "Isoflavones can be found in soy protein, but not always, " advises Kleiner. "High heat or chemical processing can damage and deplete phytoestrogens and isoflavones. Some soy protein powders I had analyzed had no isoflavones whatsoever, even though the label touted their benefits. ."