PDA

View Full Version : How should I be eating? Trying to get muscle but I have gut

Ferry Costen
05-08-2003, 01:41 PM
I have a little bit of a gut. Not noticeable when I use proper posture. However, before I get in the shower it's an eye sore.
Iam currently 190lbs 6'2. I want to get big but not let my stomach grow. What can I do? How should I eat?

bradley
05-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Well to add muscle mass you are going to have to expect a little fat gain. With that being said you really need to determine what your goals are. Do you want to add mass or diet down to get rid of the stomach?

By eating a clean diet and gaining at a slow pace you should be able to add muscle without gaining much fat.

lilpenis
05-08-2003, 03:00 PM
i have the same problem.
i stopped eating as much and did cardio. I lost my muscle not any fat.

It doesnt make sense to me. I kept up on my lifting...did cardio. Yet I didnt lose any fat. I lost my hard gained muscle

SoulOfKoRea
05-08-2003, 03:21 PM
lil, if you are not eating right that will happen, what's your diet currently like?

fierce
05-08-2003, 03:50 PM
I have this same problem... Im 5'11 179 lbs right now.. I got a skinny mans gut :mad:

I started adding cardio in april to lose some weight, up to now I have lost 8 lbs. So about a pound a week. I havent lost any muscle yet, im lifting the same weight as I was before..

Im hoping if I can keep losing 1 lb a week, I will lose fat and no muscle.

Ive also upped my protein intake

bradley
05-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by fierce
I started adding cardio in april to lose some weight, up to now I have lost 8 lbs. So about a pound a week. I havent lost any muscle yet, im lifting the same weight as I was before..

Im hoping if I can keep losing 1 lb a week, I will lose fat and no muscle.

Ive also upped my protein intake

Sounds like it is going just fine. Are you planning on cutting and then trying to put back on some LBM?

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Ferry Costen
I have a little bit of a gut. Not noticeable when I use proper posture. However, before I get in the shower it's an eye sore.
Iam currently 190lbs 6'2. I want to get big but not let my stomach grow. What can I do? How should I eat?

As Bradley mentioned, you have to pick what is your primary goal. Bulk and gained more muscle, or cut and lose some muscle.

Also, if you decide to cut, aim for losing a pound per week, like fierce did.

fierce
05-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Sounds like it is going just fine. Are you planning on cutting and then trying to put back on some LBM?

Yep, after the summer :)

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 07:40 PM
just try to keep your diet as clean as possible, and you shouldnt gain too much fat.

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Also, I would recommend picking a diet you're comfortable with. Like CKD, simply cutting calories, TKD, etc.

Pipimo
05-08-2003, 08:21 PM
just read other posts to learn good ideas for meals

steveo
05-08-2003, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't worry about BF until you're ready to cut. Sometimes I cut for 2 weeks before I bulk so that I don't have too of high BF count.

AJ_11
05-08-2003, 09:46 PM
I have been dieting for about 12 weeks and am only 7llbs lighter:scratch:, but looking in the mirror its 7llbs of fat. To me I went on weeks where I did no cardio and weeks with cals really low, also with weeks when I upped cals to about 20bw and it seems that I pretty much stayed at around the same level. But you gotta work with your body not against it, listen to it.

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
I have been dieting for about 12 weeks and am only 7llbs lighter:scratch:, but looking in the mirror its 7llbs of fat.

maybe its all in your mind ;)

Ironman8
05-09-2003, 07:19 AM
Or maybe water weight :)

lilpenis
05-09-2003, 08:18 AM
I need help. I'm about to call in Richard Simmons

I never eat processed food, fast food, junk food. Yet the belly grows. I've cut soda out this week in a last effort attempt. I've also tried cutting WAY back and doing cardion for 3 weeks. I lost muscle instead.

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 08:38 AM
cutting out pop is a good start. the trick to losing weight isnt just cutting out junk food, its also watching how much you eat.

i mean, i could eat a hamburger from mcdonalds for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and i'd lose weight. its all about calories in and calories out.

what does your current diet look like?

Ironman8
05-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Ferry, here is a list of what foods are good to buy (and what some people here buy)

list (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368&highlight=grocery+list)