PDA

View Full Version : need a low budget diet for bulking or cutting

bobomonkey
05-08-2003, 03:11 PM
iam in bad situation with money right now iam still going to school college. so does anybody have any ideas on cheap grocery list that will fullfill my needs. Lately i have been eating junk food all the time and it has been taking a toll on my body

SoulOfKoRea
05-08-2003, 03:19 PM
decide on bulking or cutting first, then we can help

oh, and how much you can spend on groceries

bobomonkey
05-08-2003, 03:45 PM
cutting roughly $50 or $100

bradley
05-08-2003, 04:45 PM
tuna, eggs, oats, dried beans, peanut butter, ww bread, brown rice, canned foods (vegetables), milk, sweet potatoes

Check out the grocery store flyers that you receive in the mail and look for sales. I know I check around each month and can usually find different lean cuts of meat and other products on sale at different grocery stores. It takes a little more effort but you can save a bundle if you stock up. Buy the stuff like brown rice in big bags as they are usually cheaper if you buy in a larger quantity.

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 05:30 PM
Also, you can look for cheap chicken sandwhiches in some fast food places (if you ever go out). Alot of them sell for 99c.

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 07:35 PM
tuna, eggs, (both very cheap) and watch for the specials from your local store. if they have chicken on sale, then buy a bunch of it and stock up :D

Ironman8
05-08-2003, 07:51 PM
Also, packed turkey breasts are pretty cheap.

bobomonkey
05-08-2003, 08:27 PM
thanks alot guys , I have one more question. Can anybody give me a sample diet plan for the day , like what to eat at what time of the day and how much

steveo
05-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Dieting cost a lot of money. I spend more money when I cut then bulk. When I'm short on money I survive of tuna and rice.

bradley
05-09-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by bobomonkey
thanks alot guys , I have one more question. Can anybody give me a sample diet plan for the day , like what to eat at what time of the day and how much

Well it is really hard to do this seeing as how everybody is different. As far as calories go we have no idea what you weigh, your activity level, metabolism, ect. These factors would all be important in figuring out your daily caloric intake.

Just try and get some protein, low GI carbs, and healthy fats in with each meal. Here are some examples of some easy meals but again you would have to adjust the amounts to fit your calorie needs.

breakfast
eggs/egg whites
oats

snack
ww bread with natural peanut butter
glass of milk

meal option
can of tuna
black beans
few peanuts

You need to try and get 1g of protein per lb. of bw and an adequate amount of healthy fats in your diet. As far as calories just adjust calories in small increments each week until you are losing a small amount of weight each week (approx. 1lb). For example if you are eating 2500 cals per day this week and you maintain your weight throughout the week then next week you should drop cals to 2300 per day and then see how your body responds. Do this each week until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week. You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track you cals.

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 04:35 AM

it would almost be easier for you to post us your diet, and then we can all critique it from there :)

Ironman8
05-09-2003, 07:13 AM
Remember to bulk clean :)

bobomonkey
05-09-2003, 10:30 AM
so i guess i will have to survive on tuna and rice. what kind of rice should i have white rice or brown. Can i have the tuna with mayo .

bradley
05-09-2003, 10:37 AM
so i guess i will have to survive on tuna and rice. what kind of rice should i have white rice or brown. Can i have the tuna with mayo .

I would go with the brown rice and yeah you can use mayo just don't go overboard with it.

Relentless
05-09-2003, 10:38 AM
'real food' is so much cheaper than junk food I'd think you should have little problem

John0101
05-09-2003, 10:53 AM
good point, the demand for junk food is higher for the demand of quality food. Therefore the price of junk food is higher. Anyways tuna, eggs, chicken, veggies buy it at a wholesale place like P.J. or walmart. That saves money.

Berserker
05-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Hamburger is good source of cheap protein. Just drain the grease. Also sometime decent prices on whole chickens. I usually see chickens for $3 something. watch for sales.

Ironman8
05-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
Hamburger is good source of cheap protein.

I would rather buy a chicken sandwhich rather than a hamburger :)

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 07:50 PM
he means like from a grocery store. not mcdonalds :p

Ironman8
05-09-2003, 08:00 PM
LOL! But still, those are good things to buy if he goes out on the town or something

steveo
05-10-2003, 01:38 AM
Yeah, A quarter pounder with cheese is an excellent source of protein, carbs and EFA.

GhettoSmurf
05-10-2003, 05:05 AM
yes with a side of super-sized fries for some extra complex carbs and more EFA's ;)

Ironman8
05-10-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
yes with a side of super-sized fries for some extra complex carbs and more EFA's ;)

Heh heh, yup.

By the way, did you hear that Mcdonald's is frying their french fries in healthier oil now? I wonder if it's safe to start eating french fries now...

bradley
05-10-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8

Heh heh, yup.

By the way, did you hear that Mcdonald's is frying their french fries in healthier oil now? I wonder if it's safe to start eating french fries now...

I would hope that you are joking.

Berserker
05-10-2003, 02:14 PM
It may not be healthy but I imagine there is better types of oil to use. Also if you deep fry at home you'll notice the oil level doesn't go down that much and you can wipe alot off. I wonder how much your getting? I love chopping a potato up and throwing in the fry daddy. Been almost a year. I think the oil is still in the fridge too. Need to clean that out, free up some space.

bradley
05-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
It may not be healthy but I imagine there is better types of oil to use. Also if you deep fry at home you'll notice the oil level doesn't go down that much and you can wipe alot off. I wonder how much your getting? I love chopping a potato up and throwing in the fry daddy. Been almost a year. I think the oil is still in the fridge too. Need to clean that out, free up some space.

When you fry something notice how the oil saturates whatever it is you are frying. I don't know exactly how many cals and fat this would add but I would say that the overall calorie content of say a baked potato wedge and fried potatoe wedge would differ by a large amount of cals. Oil is very dense calorie wise so a little goes a long way.