PDA

View Full Version : Cardio if your disabled???

csthompson
05-09-2003, 12:45 AM
I have Cerebral Palsy that affects my legs and therefore do not train them as of yet. However I went from a nationally ranked disabled powerlifter at age 19 to a 25yr old father of 3 with a GUT am getting back in but need some cardio Ideas, running is out because of my legs I use crutches and could walk but then my arms would not be fit for weights that day. I used to play wheelchair rugby as well for my cardio as a kid but that is not an option right now. Anyone, any Ideas? I tend to be a hard a** so I'll try any good Idea once but crunches are really limited as well because of trunk mobility. any help is welcomed.

JHolmes145
05-09-2003, 12:51 AM
speed bag,air punching w/ wrist weights, hand cycling(if you have the resources), doing weight lifting super highvolume w/ light dbells,how bout rowing but jus the pulling part(not thrusting w/ ur legs)

csthompson
05-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Thanks, I'll try those things and see which works any other Ideas anyone?

geoffgarcia
05-11-2003, 11:26 AM
try swimming with a harness. I haven't used one myself, but had a quadraplegic friend that had one that he used for cardio.

What about kayaking?

ant326
05-31-2011, 02:04 PM
here are some ideas:

kayak
tie ropes and metal bars where you can, i.e. attic and do abit of swinging around on them with your arms.
make hoops on the end of a rope, i.e. 2-3 meters and swing around on in with your arms, pulls and pushes at various angles, once you made the rope with hoops you can take it around with you, make hoops out of pvc tubes, copper etc,
get a skateboard and skid around on your carpet with your arms, and skid around with it with ropes or whatever like a home made kayak, have a loose rope and skid forwards and backwards sat on your skateboard by 3 metres
tie a swing to a rafter and swing
juggle
dance to some music
swim with your abs on something buoyant, you can do that for 1 hour, forwards backwards on front back.
get some weights like 4kg on in each arm and find some movements
tie a tennis ball to a string and hit it, or buy an elastic with tennis ball excerciser
learn to cycle with your hands
if you tie a rope across a room and it is abit elastic, it is really fun cos you swing around on it alot while doing pressups.
if there is a river nearby find a rowing club and get a kayak, do an hour every couple of days.

StLRPh
05-31-2011, 02:17 PM
You do realize that this post is over 8 years old, right?

Alex.V
05-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Maybe the OP is really patient and still needs his question answered.