PDA

View Full Version : Overfeeding questions

ChuckieT
05-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Let me give you a bit of background before I ask my questions:
I'm currently dieting but I sorta went on a mild overfeeding (i.e. cheat) last evening when I was out. Now everyone here is knows all about carb refeeds to upregulate leptin levels, but I basically overfed on about ~ 1500 cals of mostly protein and fat with only some mix drinks as carbs. This estimated intake brings up my total calorie intake to around 3500, which is a little less then some of my past bulks.

In any case, here are my questions:

1) This is what I remember from reading some refeed articles, but it's true that a protein and fat overfeed will do little to help leptin levels right?

2) Normally when you overfeed on carbs there is always the water bloat the next day but does this happen with lots of protein and carbs? Because I woke up about 5 pounds heavier...

3) I usually take my bodyfat measurements every other Sunday morning to track my progress (7 site). I'm hoping there was some water bloat (#2) and that's why my skinfolds are slightly higher? What do you think?

Bad timing on my part to do this cheat the day before I do my bimonthly bodyfat check... tuttut In any case thanks ahead of time for answering my questions.

bradley
05-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by ChuckieT
Let me give you a bit of background before I ask my questions:
I'm currently dieting but I sorta went on a mild overfeeding (i.e. cheat) last evening when I was out. Now everyone here is knows all about carb refeeds to upregulate leptin levels, but I basically overfed on about ~ 1500 cals of mostly protein and fat with only some mix drinks as carbs. This estimated intake brings up my total calorie intake to around 3500, which is a little less then some of my past bulks.

In any case, here are my questions:

1) This is what I remember from reading some refeed articles, but it's true that a protein and fat overfeed will do little to help leptin levels right?

Well as long as you have more calories going into the fat cell your leptin production will increase. The reason that carbs are used is because they will not cause as much fat gain as say fat would. You wouldn't want to normally overfeed on fat and carbs because that would just add too much bf as compared to eating carbs alone. You want a little spillover into the fat cells but not a tremendous amount. This is from the leptin article on the ministry of fitness website(http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm)

Researchers have identified a system that 'senses' nutrient flux (flux = what's going in versus what's going out) through both fat and muscle cells. This affects a lot of process. When dieting, more calories are leaving the fat cell than are going in (negative flux). This nutrient sensing system 'senses' this and affects many processes, one of which is leptin production (decreasing leptin production).

So leptin drops.

When overfeeding, more calories are entering the fat cells than are leaving (positive flux). The system 'senses' this and affects many processes, one of which is leptin production (increasing leptin production).

So leptin increases.

Another post that might be of help:http://groups.google.com/groups?q=refeed+protein+fat+author:Lyle+author:McDonald&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=r&selm=3E92E8FD.5DBD3C0C%40grandecomIMRETARDED.net&rnum=4

2) Normally when you overfeed on carbs there is always the water bloat the next day but does this happen with lots of protein and carbs? Because I woke up about 5 pounds heavier...

Well I would think so seeing you still ate a large amount of carbs. Adding protein into the mix wouldn't change the carbs being stored as glycogen.

3) I usually take my bodyfat measurements every other Sunday morning to track my progress (7 site). I'm hoping there was some water bloat (#2) and that's why my skinfolds are slightly higher? What do you think?

Probaly the added muscle glycogen along with some water retention would be the cause of the weight gain and higher skinfold measurements. Probably nothing to really worry about especially since it was only 3500 cals total for the day:)

ChuckieT
05-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Oops I just noticed a typo of mine for the second question:
Normally when you overfeed on carbs there is always the water bloat the next day but does this happen with lots of protein and carbs? Because I woke up about 5 pounds heavier...

What I meant to say is this:
Normally when you overfeed on carbs there is always the water bloat the next day but does this happen with lots of protein and fat? Because I woke up about 5 pounds heavier...

In reality last evening I didn't have that much in terms of carbs, it was just a lot of meat n' cheese.
:D

Ironman8
05-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Fat and protein digest the slowest. So, that could also make you bloated.

ChuckieT
05-11-2003, 10:20 AM
That's true, that probably explains it. Thanks guys. :)

bradley
05-11-2003, 11:10 AM
What I meant to say is this:
Normally when you overfeed on carbs there is always the water bloat the next day but does this happen with lots of protein and fat? Because I woke up about 5 pounds heavier...

In reality last evening I didn't have that much in terms of carbs, it was just a lot of meat n' cheese.
:D

Could be due to the large amount of sodium that you took in last night. Cheese has high amounts of sodium and meat can also have large amounts especially if you were eating out.

ChuckieT
05-11-2003, 11:29 AM
And just out of curiosity if I overfed on protein and fat with minimal sodium would the same kind of water bloat still occur?

bradley
05-11-2003, 11:39 AM
And just out of curiosity if I overfed on protein and fat with minimal sodium would the same kind of water bloat still occur?

I wouldn't think that excess protein or fat intake would cause any subcutaenous water retention, assuming that you kept adequately hydrated. Although consuming more protein would mean that you need more water.