PDA

View Full Version : Wikked Sensations

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Wikked1
05-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Ok guys I'm creating this journal mostly for critique.......but before I get into it too far a little background. I'm 6'2" 195 lbs. about 12-13% bf. Before I got my sh*t together I was a pack a day smoker and a coke-a-holic (the COLA kind!). Those who know me swear I've found religion because I am indeed a NEW MAN.....and last vital statistic I am 39 years old. (How I wish I was smart enough to do this 10 years ago but what the hell I am doing it now)!
I will try to keep this thing as daily as I can and like I said it mostly for refferal because I STILL have a lot to learn and if someone can offer me some sound advise I'm all ears. To date I have added about 25 pound of good solid muscle (Now you might think that's cool (I sure do) but then realize that I'm built much like a football wide receiver,.....and what I really want is more like 6'2" 235....
So here's how it will work......I will detail my diet on the day of and my workouts the day after....and on Monday I will update on workouts from Saturdays.

Mik
05-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Grats on the progress so far Wikked1! Good luck with your goals. You've come to a great site and starting a journal will help.

GhettoSmurf
05-12-2003, 11:13 AM
good luck with the journal, as well as your goals.

and welcome to WBB!

Wikked1
05-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys...
To Start the week off right it's 5/12/2003 a gloomy Monday Morning.....good I SAY ( I HATE MONDAYS ANY WAY!!!) the damn air conditioner at the gym shouldn't be on today what a real PITA that thing is (churning out humid air).....I'd rather sweat my a$$ off naturally without the aid of the AC thanks very much!

6:00 this morning my treadmill is calling my name but I decide I am up too late… I got too many things to do before I get on the torture chamber……(Not much I hate MORE THAN doing cardio and I try to work my diet around avoiding cardio….) not that I mind the work….it’s the monotonous thing and couple that with the fact that it kicks my already speedy metabolism into mach 10...WELL I just feel like I workout and gain it only to watch it disappear on the treadmill…..!!!

Cardio sessions will be Tues,Wed,Thurday this week……more if I feel flabby…..around the waist…….
My goal: it's Summertime I want to shed and shred body fat without losing what little muscle it looks like I have HARD GAINED! I would like to have a six pack and be happier about not wearing a shirt this summer…..
SO no cardio today…..tomorrow it’s the standard prescribed 30 minutes on an empty stomach first thing in the morning!

Eats…….what did I eat today?

Now my dieting philosophy is to keep it as clean as possible……..and attempting to keep all simple carbs around my workout…..(no more than an hour and up to 10 minutes before I work out) I try to put some simple carbs in my body so I have some energy…this came from a book I got and it seems to work real well …..dropping caloric intake on non-workout days ……
As I stated I am attempting to drop body fat at this time…….OH to have a 6 pack for the summer would be SO cool…. a 6 pack and lots of vascularity……anyone else suffer from this? I desire lots of vascularity and I swear to got I have almost ZERO fat on my arms and legs….but getting that big vein to pop out from the biceps…..takes a lot of bicep work and it doesn’t last for sh*t!!! Oh well getting back to the diet…..lots of lean meat cuts….but deli style stuff for lunch mostly…..no cream in the coffee…..no milk except for fat free skim which I use in my protein shakes……I take a multi vitamin and glucosamine along with additional B,C,E and selenium every day…..

Wake up Vitamins
6:00 6 oz black coffee w/Sugar
7:30 (4) NO2 caplets
8:00 20 oz black Coffee w/Sugar
8:45 (2) packets of instant Cream of wheat & (2) scoops of Juiced protein
9:00 20 oz water
11:00 Nitrotech double chocolate supreme protein bar
11:15 20 oz water
11:30 (4) NO2 caplets
12:15 5 oz turkey breast ( the real stuff) on Thomas’ whole wheat bagel
1 small banana
1 Mesotech protein bar
1 serving Phosphogen HP

3:10 Still sipping p*** warm coffee (TIME for some water)
3:30 Ultramet Protein Shake w/12 oz fat free skim milk
4:30 (1) small banana,6 oz watermelon

Post workout meals will be here tomorrow.....I think it's BBQ Spare ribs and White rice tonight though & the post workout shake....and a protein bar before bed.....see how I feel before bed!

My workouts at this time are as follows:

Workout 1
Flat Bench press
Incline Bench Press
Shoulder Press
Seated Side lats
Ab Crunches

Workout 2
Wide Grip Pull-ups
Seated Rows
OR
1 Armed bent over rows
Dead Lifts
Shrugs
Overhead Tricep press
Dips

Workout 3
Squats
Leg Curls
Preacher Curls
Standing DB curls
Forearm Curls
Seated Calf Raises

3 very basic workouts 5 days a week

This is a 6 week program
Week 1
2 sets 4-7 reps (must fail in this range) 120 seconds recovery
Weeks 2& 3
3 sets 8-11 reps (must fail) 90 seconds recovery
Week 4
4 sets 8-11 reps (to Failure) 90 Seconds recovery
Weeks 5&6
5 sets 4-7 reps (to failure) 60 seconds recovery

Week #7 start over….
Abs are really EOD

With this program I can tell you that it doesn’t sound like much but by the time week #5 arrives the weight on the 1st set is FAR more than the weight on the 5th set……..muscles just can’t recover that fast……and I will admit I am in a SMITH machine the Squats and I will NOT go to failure….I will go one short or what feels like 1 short of failure….I workout alone (partner(s) a whole other ISSUE)!

So this should explain my philosophy and the basics of my routines….I work out 5 days a week and break on Wednesdays & Sundays.

I have often times wondered if I this routine is over training me especially at my age but I have to give this program the HONEST trial….12 weeks min!

Presently today is the start of week 6 which means I have 7 more weeks to see decent results on this program.

cphafner
05-12-2003, 02:07 PM
welcome to the board...good luck with your goals

Wikked1
05-13-2003, 04:44 AM
Tuesday Morning.....still raining....the torture chamber called my name and I answered.......30 minutes on the treadmill this morning......yesterday's workout went well......full of energy.....sweat ......although I have not been doing deadlift due to this undiagnosed pain in my ass....sciatic nerve? Dr. will check again today.......my triceps felt great on the first 2 sets of over head press (95 lbs)....but I quickly dropped to 85 for the net 2 sets and then finally 75 for the last set....wide grip pull-up (I do not call them chins because chins IMO are done with palms facing you).....firt couple set I can manage body weigth * 7 and then drops quickly to 4 4 and move to the "cheater" machine for assisted 7....these things and lat pull down chew my hands up
but on to my post workout meal.
6:35 about 8 oz BBQ spare ribs & 2/3 cup white rice
washed down with 4 OZ powerade (I need something other than water) I usually get 20-40 oz during workout.
Then @ 7:30 a UTURN protein bar.......(Yeah label claims are suspect BUT I am so tired of Nitrotech protein bars (I've been eating them for 6 montsh....BLECH!)
8:20 1/2 Ultramet Protein Shake (Split it with the wife) :)
9:00 MAYBE 1/2 oz of cashews......just for something to munch.....then hit the sack......now here is a big whine from me......I have noticed that the MORE water I drink during the day.....the more likley my bladder is to disturb my sleep...gggrrr somedays(nights) I lay there and HOPE to sleep thrugh it......but inevitably toss and turn until I am forced to get up and relieve myself.....damn it SUCKS to be getting OLD!!! I like my sleep uninterrupted but so it goes....) anyway it's 6:30 my cardio (torture chamber) is done.......today is workout 3 (or as I call it.....Legs and Arms PLUS abs)...

Wikked1
05-13-2003, 08:33 AM
I think in the effort to clean this up a little bit I'll submit my diet and my workouts on an excel spread sheet and simple text comments.

Coke
05-13-2003, 08:45 AM
You are out in the middle of nowhere, almost...:D

Good luck in your endeavors!

Mik
05-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Good luck with the back pain. I went through something similar about 8-10 months ago. I had an inflamed disk wich put pressure on my sciatic nerve. Damn near crippled me. But with a lot or rest and then some proper training I haven't had a problem since (knocks on wood).

Have you ever thought about adding some fats in your diet? More nuts and maybe some flax or fish oil?

Wikked1
05-14-2003, 06:39 AM
Date Time
5/13/2003 5:45 AM 3 oz. Coffe Black w/Sugar
6:00 AM Vitamins
6:10 AM 10 oz water (treadmill)
7:45 AM NO2 (4)
8:00 AM Mesotech bar
9:30 AM Nitrotech bar
9:40 AM 12 oz Coffee Black w/Sugar
10:45 AM 20 oz Water
11:30 AM NO2 (4)
12:15 PM about 10-12 oz BBQ Spare Ribs & 1 cup white rice
10 oz Sobe Power
Small banana
1:00 PM 20 oz Water
3:15 PM Ultramet Protein Shake
4:30 PM 1 Small Banana
Uturn Bar
Date Exercise Set# Weight Reps
5/12/2003 Wide Grip Chins 1 BW 7
2 BW 7
3 BW 4
4 BW 4
5 BW Less 60 7
Lat Pull Down 1 160 7
2 160 7
3 140 7
4 140 7
5 130 7
Shrugs 1 thru 5 125 dbs 7
DEADLIFT should come prior but skipping until Dr figures out what ails my left leg/hip/A$$
O.H. Tri Press 1 & 2 95 7
3 95 5
4 85 6
5 75 6
DIPS 1 BW 7 EASY!
2 BW 5 (SO MUCH for EASY!)
3 BW 4
4 BW Less 40 7
5 BW 5

Wikked1
05-14-2003, 06:59 AM
Yesterday's workout was good but I HATE doing 5 sets of Squats.....damn it kicks my butt every time and although it's only "Arms & Legs day" I'm breathing heavy and hard by the time my squats are done! Well let's put it this way I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with squats...I love em for what they do for me...I hate them for how they exhaust me......by the time I hit the preacher bench I'm sweating my a$$ off......now I don't know if it's just my damn long arms or what but biceps in general I consider my own weak point.....5 sets of db curls on the preacher bench starting w/40's and winding down to 30's really makes me feel like a WIMP......and I feel unsure about whether I am over training them or if I need to pound them into submission by doing MORE exercises.......but any way today is my OFF day from the weights and I did my duty on the treadmill this morning......28 minutes......and sipping some water......I have to say this.......about cardio........it seems to really consumes a lot of my energy stores....because I sleep more soundly....and I really COULD stay in bed longer BUT .....I enjoy getting up with the wife and having a little coffee and quiet conversation before she heads off for work......me? I've got the desk job so I'm an 8-5 guy.

Wikked1
05-14-2003, 07:09 AM
Mik thanks for the words of encouragement.....the diagnosis is still up in the air but I am hoping like hell it's not disk related!!!
THAT would SUCK !!!!!!
You bring up an interesting point about the fats in my diet.....I currently don't consume them unless they "come along for the ride" with my food.....I am trying to minimize fat intake.......and this is an area I am entirely unsure about......I have considered trying a keto diet but the grocery bill might put the wife in a fit......I have wondered about the effects it might have if I add it in.....I munch on Sun flower kernels and Cashews from time to time but REALLY stay within a small handful because of the fat content.....I try to keep my fat inake to less than 30 grams a day.....and maybe this is an area I need to tweak.....but being in the cardio mode I have that fear of adding any fat back into my diet.......

Mik
05-14-2003, 07:52 AM
Wikked1 My disk injury was more an inflamed disk that seemed to really subside with some anti inflammaoties and rest. As I said, my back is A OK now. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

I would definitely consider adding some fats to your diet. Don't be worried about fat adding fat. Your body needs and uses fats (as long as you supply it with good fats). It took me a while to get used to this notion but you'll see lots of info on the need for quality fats in your diet in many threads here.

wibble
05-14-2003, 09:56 AM
Hey! Good job on everything so far, its lookin good! Don't be afraid of nuts and stuff, they are high in fat but its healty fat. You should get 20-30% of your calories from things like nuts, natural peanut butter, flax/olive/fish oil. Its healthy for your body and will increase the rate at which your body burns fat. If you don't eat enough fat, your body hangs on to what it has "just in case".

Hope your back pain is nothing serious. Keep up the good work!

Wikked1
05-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Hey Mik & wibble thanks for the advise and the luck I have a feeling I'll need it. I considered the advice about the fats and I think it makes sense.....I will try it since I'm in the cutting mode anyway....it's the revamping of the diet that will have to wait for the weekend.....I will admit the diet is the hardest part for me now......nope not sticking to it......that's EASY....it's devising the components of the meals and counting the calories and nutrients that takes some thought....I figured if I eat lean I would still get some fats any way......but I admit it's not much at all.....and wibble makes a point I have heard echoed all around the web....my body is probably holding onto the fat it has at this point (there's still enough around the waistline to hide all but the very top of my abs.....means I have a 1/3 pack huh?

Wikked1
05-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Date Time
5/13/2003 6:30 PM 12 oz Ham Steak
1 Large Baked potato
8:00 PM 1/2 Ultramet Shake (Split with the wife)
8:30 PM 1 oz Cracker Barrel Xtra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
5/14/2003 6:00 AM 6 oz coffe black w/Sugar
7:30 AM NO2
8:00 AM 20 OZ Coffe Black w/Sugar
9:15 AM (2) Cream of Wheat(Apples & Cinnamon) & 2 scoops Juiced Protein
10:00 AM 20 oz Water
11:30 AM NO2
12:00 PM 6 oz Deli ham on a Whole Wheat Bagel W/yellow mustard
1/2 Cracker Barrel Xtra Sharp Cheddar
1 Medium Banana
8 oz Sobe Power
2:15 PM mesotech bar
4:00 PM 1 oz Cracker Barrel Xtra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
UTURN Bar
4:35 PM 1 Small Pear
5/13/2003 Squats in Smith Machine 1 225 7
2 265 7
3 265 5
4 225 7
5 225 5
Leg Curl 1 110 7
2 120 7
3 120 5
4 120 5
5 110 7
DB preacher Curls 1 40 7
2 40 6
3 35 7
4 35 5
5 30 7
Seated Incline DB curls 1 30 7
2 25 7
3 25 6
4 25 6
5 25 7
Wrist Curls 1 50 7
2 & 3 45 7
4 & 5 40 7
Seated Calf Raises 1 130 7
2 Thru 5 175 7

Mik
05-15-2003, 01:10 AM
Have you made a decision on tha fats?

Wikked1
05-15-2003, 07:24 AM
Yesterday was my day off from the gym and I'll be damned if my quads didn't announce the fact they did 5 sets every time I got up from my desk yesterday ...(It's really a "GOOD sore" ).....but I did my sworn treadmill duty this morning....I find that I am drinking less and less of my coffee in the morning....and I usually pop all my vitamins and glucosamine with it.......so I managed about 1/2 my normal coffee this morning....and I pounded out 28 mins of cardio......Yesterday I seemed to have more energy than usual @ bedtime (Hi Honey I'm HOME :)) .....but I figured it was due to the day off from the weights...I should have made this switch months ago....(Wednesdays off) and workout Saturdays.....it gives my body a little break mid week......because I really wonder IF I am over-training BUT this is the 6th week....I still have another 6 weeks to try before I scrutinize it too much....the tape measure is kind of a disappointment (except the waist) because I'm not increasing muscle size anywhere.....but the good part is that I'm not losing it either....and I am attempting to cut....so I think over all the plan/routine is effective.......my body weight is hovering around 193-195 but the biggest changes I can see are in the mirror.......now maybe some of it is in my head but I have lost a significant amount of looseness around my stomach....it's not picture worthy but it looks like I've taken 5 years off my waist....that's no BS guys....in all honesty I feel like I am in pretty good shape for my age....physically I am in the best shape of my life if not for this yet to be diagnosed leg pain. I have done a little further digging into my diet and decided that I am actually reconsidering doing MORE cardio......(reason?) simple I want a mid section like aka23 ....guy's got a chiseled 6 pack.......I don't know if I can do it I mean I've NEVER tried before and this will be my first attempt but I've never been this dedicated either...So as much as I don't like doing the cardio......I'm seeing results that I like from it....which in turn motivates me to do it more......I had been doing 5 days a week but the wife said she knew I'd be pissed if I lost all my hard earned gains...so she thougth I should ease back.....so it's a kind of euphoria......I don't like the cardio...I know it saps my energy level down a notch but I like what I am seeing in the mirror..........(It's no where NEAR what I want) but it's good progress and it drives me to do more......
The dietary fat ......hmmmmm.......looking deeper into the contents of the foods I am eating......there is some fat in my bars.........but not enough...so I have thrown a but of cheese and nuts in .....until I can recalculate my diet this weekend....I will add the fat in incrementally....honestly guys what I do is calculate Carbs & Protein and go by the "book" plan (which says keep fats to a minimum) HOWEVER I am a big believer in body adaptation. SO I will start out by seeing exactly how much fat is currently in my diet (average) and then adjusting that amount incrementally. Until I reach the 20% mark but I don't want to sacrifice progress in order to add fat.....I also think everyone is different to a degree....and my body may respond differently to a change in diet.....that increases fats too quickly..Time will tell guys and HYE thanks for the encouragement.....I LOVE this site and I've seen a truckload of web sites.....this is by far the most informative!!

Mik
05-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Sounds like you're making some good progress. Good work on the fat loss. The muscle gains will come, just keep sticking to your routine.

You make a good point about having Wednesdays off and lifting Saturdays. It would be tough to lift 5 days in a row. I know I would ersonally be overtraining but as you said you have 6 weeks to evaluate.

aka23
05-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Wikked1
I have done a little further digging into my diet and decided that I am actually reconsidering doing MORE cardio......(reason?) simple I want a mid section like aka23 ....guy's got a chiseled 6 pack.......I don't know if I can do it I mean I've NEVER tried before and this will be my first attempt but I've never been this dedicated either...So as much as I don't like doing the cardio......I'm seeing results that I like from it....which in turn motivates me to do it more......I had been doing 5 days a week but the wife said she knew I'd be pissed if I lost all my hard earned gains...so she thougth I should ease back.....so it's a kind of euphoria......I don't like the cardio...I know it saps my energy level down a notch but I like what I am seeing in the mirror..........(It's no where NEAR what I want) but it's good progress and it drives me to do more......

Thanks for the compliments. I agree with your wife that you should increase the cardio gradually, rather than immediately start at a high level. Cardio reduces body fat more than calorie in/calorie out formulas would suggest. If cardio is done in the desired manner, it should not significantly interfere with your muscle gains. This includes separating it from weight workouts and not doing it on an empty stomach or other times when glycogen reserves are low. If you are especially worried about muscle damage, you could try short sessions of HIIT type cardio, and separate it from your leg day and other HIIT sessions by 48 hours.

Wikked1
05-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Well it's FRIDAY......Yeah another work week just about dead...I live for "Casual Fridays" I'm just a hell of a lot more comfortable in a pair of jeans.....Well any way it's shaping up to be a nice day.......dentist appt yesterday slowed down my food consumption for a couple hours and I had a date with the wife to see "Reloaded" being a big fan of the first flik the sequel while good was not up too par withthe first....OH well any way I snuck out of work early and hit the gym early It just seemed to be one of those days where I am cranking out reps real good thinking I can get 1 more and just hit a wall.....so it goes when you have no spotter.....I was a little pissed cause I wanted to throw in some hammer strength presses in along with my flat bench db curls but as luck would have it I was on my shoulders by the time the machine was free......any way my entire workout went well but I HATE when I feel like I SHOULD be able to crank out one more rep and run out of steam.My pecs are a littel tight and sore today...I LIKE IT...those inclines really make me feel it!
Anyway the calories were down a little today.......there was no way I could chug down a pre workout shake so close to workout without feeling super bloated!
AND this morning? was a CARDIO OFF day .....( I feel like a slacker but ) next week it'll be 4 days.....
5/14/2003 6:30 PM 2 bowls home made turkey soup….lots of turkey…..plenty of complex carbs but nutrient content is a pure GUESS
9:30 PM Nitrotech bar
5/15/2003 6:00 AM 4 oz coffe black w/Sugar
8:00 AM 20 OZ Coffe Black w/Sugar
9:15 AM (2) Instant Oatmeal (Cinn & Spice) & 2 scoops Juiced Protein
10:00 AM 20 OZ Water
11:30 AM NO2
12:00 PM 6 oz ham on Whole Wheat Bagel w/Yell Mustard
Mesotech bar (HOLY god these babies have some CARBS)
10 oz powerade

1:00 PM Dentist (Gonna have me some FUN)…..NOT!
2:55 PM Mesotech bar (Dentist was easy on me)!
3:00 PM 1 Small Pear

5:15 PM 1/2 Ultramet Protein Shake
5:30 PM 10 oz Steak
2 Cups Fried Potatos
9:30 PM Nitrotech bar

5/15/2003 Flat Bench Db Presses 1 75 7
2 75 5
3 70 6
4 70 5
5 65 5
Incline DB presses 1 55 7
2 55 7
3 50 5
4 50 5
5 45 7
Seated Shoulder Press 1 110 5
2 110 4
3 90 5
4 90 4
5 70 7
Seated Lateral Raises 1 20 6
These ALWAYS HURT! 2 20 6
3 25 4
4 20 5
5 20 5
abs 5 body only 25-30

Wikked1
05-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Date Time
5/16/2003 6:00 AM 4 oz coffe black w/Sugar
8:00 AM 8 OZ Coffe Black w/Sugar
8:45 AM (2) Instant Oatmeal (Rasins & Spice) & 2 scoops Juiced Protein
10:00 AM 32 OZ Water
11:10 AM NO2
11:30 AM 2 Pretzel Rods (DAMN I am HUNGRY)
12:00 PM 6 oz ham on Whole Wheat Bagel w/Yell Mustard
Mesotech bar
16 oz water
3:00 PM Ultramet Shake
4:15 PM Banana
4:35 PM Pear
Mesotech bar (there NOW I'm CARB'd UP)!

Yesterday's workout
5/15/2003 Flat Bench Db Presses 1 75 7
2 75 5
3 70 6
4 70 5
5 65 5
Incline DB presses 1 55 7
2 55 7
3 50 5
4 50 5
5 45 7
Seated Shoulder Press 1 110 5
2 110 4
3 90 5
4 90 4
5 70 7
Seated Lateral Raises 1 20 6
These ALWAYS HURT! 2 20 6
3 25 4
4 20 5
5 20 5
abs 5 bw 25-30

GhettoSmurf
05-16-2003, 07:34 PM
it looks like your diet contains quite a bit of sugar. like with the oatmeal, have you ever thought about getting some regular oats, becuase the instant flavored oats contain quite a bit of sugar. also, have you ever thought about adding somthing like splenda, or equal to your coffee instead of sugar? just a couple of suggestions. nice workout BTW.

Wikked1
05-19-2003, 07:33 AM
Hey GS, Thanks for the input....I have been considering the black coffee......not so sure about the oats.......they get pretty nasty if I let them cool too long (and in order to get the carb ratio right I have to chug a truckload of them) (BLECH when they get cold!) But yes I need to take a deeper look into all of my diet....for now it seems to be working but I have the desire to get shredded....
So the workout for Friday was good....Saturday was Awesome.....not because of anything other than having a great session with the preacher bench....I did standing barbell first and then preacher bench and with some encouragement of another gym member who's got biceps I upped the db weight to 45 lbs....and discovered I CAN pound them out.....(sorry guys I know it's not huge but I think my biceps SUCK.....) it's nothing spectacular and it's not like lagging BUT I think for my body type I need to have around 19" arms....(Hey I'd like to try them on for size)....in order to LOOK like I really DO workout.....but I still have a LONG way to go to reach that mark.....ANY WAY my diet didn't really go to sh*t over the weekend...I just lost track of time and ate at odd intervals......my overall calories were down.....and I didn't hit the water like I should have.....Saturday I did cave in to the wife who has been pleading with me for 3 weeks to get pizza.....I decided Saturday I would and had 2 Sam Adams Lights.....the pizza was great but in all honesty I could go without it for months.......but now & then I do need a cheat day so the wife doesn't feel guilty....(she works out and diets along with me by the way) .....which is fantastic most times......BUT there is always that thing in the back of my mind that says......is she telling me things about my body just to get her own way (pizza) ....the answer is HELL YES of course she is.......she's female.....but any way lets see......my body weight this AM 193 so I'm guessing about 190 less the clothes....my waist and chest measurements were 1" smaller this morning....DAMN the waist is OK but WHY the chest......? The arms are stagnant......hangin on there......no cardio since Friday........I'll pick it up first thing tomorrow.....but I think I am going to 4 days this week......(close my eyes to everyting and concentrate on lowering bf% ....where are those ABS? I think body fat has dropped a tiny bit but since I measured last week I'll wait another week to check it.....I swear to god if it wasn't around my waist .....I wouldn't have any! IS it as Ghetto Smurf suggests? Do I have too much sugar in my diet?? One way to find out......remove it and see if my waist shrinks!

Mik
05-19-2003, 11:27 AM
I agree with GS. Try dropping the sugar I bet you'll see a difference.

Wikked1
05-19-2003, 12:37 PM
Yeah I am begining to see that I can gain a lot just from listening....thanks Mik and GhettoSmurf.....you guys give me ideas that don't occur to me......I look at protein and carb content (as well as the sugars) but never really had any thing to compare it to.....more healthy fats....and less sugar....goodbye flavored oatmeal.....hello black coffee......last mesotech bar today.......damn things are LOADED with sugar. and I didn't really pay a lot of attention to it until my wife said something. I ordered a bunch of premier 1 bars ( I like those) even though they do have some sugar it's sucralose (Sugar Alcohol) but it's far less than the Mesotech bar......I'm gonna peek in on your journals and see if I can pick up some better ideas for my diet guys......I'm checking what you are eating......thanks for the help!!! Any ideas please feel free to share!

Wikked1
05-19-2003, 01:14 PM
5/16/2003 Wide Grip Pull Ups
1 bw 7
2 bw 5
3 bw 4
4 bw -50 7
5 bw -50 7
Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs
1 160 7
2 160 5
3 140 7
4 140 7
5 120 7

Lo Rows
1 180 7
2 180 7
3 160 6
4 160 6
5 150 7

OH Tri Press
1 95 6
2 90 6
3 85 5
4 80 5
5 75 5

Tri Press downs
1 170 7
2 170 5
3 160 6
4 160 5
5 140 7
5/17/2003 Squats
Concentrating on getting 1 225 7
deeper w/Squats I am not 2 225 7
going to failure on these 3 225 7
No desire to be laid up 4 225 6
for any length of time. 5 225 6

Leg Curls
1 120 7
2 120 5
3 110 7
4 110 6
5 100 7

Leg Extensions
Wanted more Quad work 1 230 7
I haven't used the hand 2 250 6
rail on the stairs after leg 3 250 5
day in quite a while 4 240 5
5 230 5

Standing BB curls
1 65 7
2 85 7
3 85 5
4 85 4
5 65 7

DB preacher curls
1 40 7
2 45 6
3 45 5
4 45 4
5 45 4
Abs 5 bw 20-30

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 01:25 PM
good workout man. and with the diet, simple changes can go a LONG way, believe me. And the trick is to find ways to make food that is good for you, taste good. Like with the oatmeal for example. Switch to the un-flavored kind, and if you dont like it, try adding some cinnamon to it. To add a sugar substitute like equal or splenda. Same with the coffee, try using a sugar substitute instead of sugar. I know that i personally LOVE iced tea, but i only like it sweetend with sugar, and i used to put loads and loads of sugar in my iced tea. well, i eventually said to myself, why dont i just add some sugar substitute (splenda) instead of the sugar. to me i cant tell a difference in taste, and i eliminated the sugar from the iced tea :D

good luck!

Mik
05-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Nice workout Wikked. Looks like you're making some nice progress.

Wikked1
05-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Well here I am again....workout yesterday was great ......the difference between 5 sets and 2 sets really sets in as I started my second sets yesterday.....I did take your advice guys....black coffee this am and decided black coffee sucks and I never liked it any way so I had maybe 3 ounces and said BLECH....what do I want more? ABS or COFFEE the answer was SIMPLE!!! I grabbed my water bottle downed my vitamins and NO2 and hit the treadmill for 28 mins this morning....this is the first time I left it level vs. inclined.....level is simpler so I had to kick of the speed to get into my fat burning zone....the other thing I did was scarf a ginseng instead of caffiene ......and I can handle the oatmeal & cream of wheat straight w/ the protein powder......piece of cake!
Thanks for the advise guys cause not only did I kill the coffee this am ...my usual stop at Dunkin Donut (STRICTLY for the coffee) has been eliminated......that's $2.00 a day more in my pocket.....yeah some things really are this easy for me.....coffee who needs it? How is that possible? I quit smoking ....the 24th it will be 11 months ago....that was the hardest thing I have ever done....so coca-cola was a snap.....and coffee as well........sugar I will have to watch out for......but eliminating it where I can.....that's easy too! I skipped my post workout shake last night because I wolfed down a big steak dinner when I got home and I prefer real food when I can btu sometimes it's just impossible to eat real food in the right amounts and times.....it's early I'll have to see how the lack of caffiene affects me later this afternoon.

MY work out

5/19/2003 Hammer Strength Press 1 200 4
2 180 6
Flat bench db right after HSP 1 75 1
2 75 4
3 85 4
Incline db Strip sets 1 70 4
55 1
2 70 5
55 4
Incline Flies 1 45 7
2 45 7
3 45 7

Shoulder Press 1 110 5
90 2
2 115 4
95 2
75 2

Seated Lateral Raise 1 30 3
25 4

2 25 6

abs 2 bw 30
My Diet
5/19/2003 6:00 AM 6 oz Coffee w/Sugar
8:00 AM 8 oz Coffee w/Sugar
9:00 AM Apples & Cinnnamon + (2) Scoops Juiced Protein
10:00 AM Still sipping coffee……..switch to H20
12:00 PM Nitrotech Bar
32 oz water
1:00 PM Spaghetti & Meatballs & HOT sausage
6 oz spaghetti and 5 oz sauce & Goodies
This should cover my fat & Carbs easily for today….
1:45 PM Handful Cashews…..(shoulda ate more spaghetti but I'm saving
some for later pre workout)
3:00 PM Spaghetti & Meatballs & HOT sausage
6 oz spaghetti and 5 oz sauce & Goodies
3:15 PM Ultramet Shake
4:30 PM 1 banana
1 pear
6:15 PM 10 oz Steak
8 oz Fried potatoes
6 oz Tropicana Twister
8:10 PM THE LAST MESOTECH BAR!!!

Wikked1
05-20-2003, 02:39 PM
5/20/2003 5:45 AM 3 oz black coffee
6:00 AM 20 oz Water
8:15 AM Plain Oatmeal & @ Scoops Juiced protein
10:15 AM Small handful pretzel rods….
10:25 AM 32 oz water
10:30 AM damn I am hungry!
1 oz cashews
12:00 PM 1 Nitrotech bar
32 oz water
1:00 PM 6 oz steak
8 oz fried potatoes
1:40 PM YAWNING missing the caffeine affects I'm sure
2:20 PM 1 Pretzel Rod
3:10 PM Ultramet Strawberry
4:15 PM 1 banana
4:45 PM 1 banana
I'm really wondering if I am doing the right thing here with the pre-workout shake.....I seem to be very hungry today........not sure why......the lack of some coffee??? Not sure......the reason I started with the pre workout shake was to insure I meet my protein quota each day between 2 shakes & a bar & 2 scoops I get around 160 so I am sure I run hi on the protein content.....OH well I'm dead ass tired partly because I slept like crap last night.....and very little coffee.....workout should be interesting but it's only 2 sets so once I am in there I get motivated........maybe I'm conserving my energy here for that!!!

Wikked1
05-21-2003, 06:38 AM
5/20/2003 W Grip Pull Ups
1 bw 7
2 bw 5
Lat Pull Down
1 200 5
2 180 6

Lo Row
1 180 7
2 180 5
Deads
(Very easy on these to see 1 170 7
how the ache in my ass/leg 2 170 7
reacts to them )
Shrugs
1 240 7
2 240 7
Seated OH Tri press
1 100 4
2 90 6
Dips 1 & 2 bw 7
I will have to start doing these
with added weight next time I
do this workout……
Ever get the feeling that some things just aren't working? I get that feeling about lat pull downs and wide grip pull ups.....I perform the exercise.....and PLENTY of weight for me BUT still I don't feel these unless I perform pull downs behind my head.....YEAH I know guys look at me weird cause they all do it to their chests but I don't feel it in my lats........I am having my doubts about the effectiveness of this split.....it doesn't seem to hit any particular body part HARD.......and maybe I'm just sadistic but I think I was more satisfied with a more traditional split......specific body parts I want to emphasize just don't seem to be benefitting from this workout.......although my bench press strength has shot way up.......75's were enough for me but now....I'm pretty sure I could do a couple solid unspotted reps with the 90s........another member of the gym has been pushing me to do drop sets.....and considering his build I know he has great success with it....so I am sitting here this morning wondering what to do....I consider this 2 set week more of recovery than anything else.....so many questions and so many opinions.......so few real answers ......

clvmike19
05-21-2003, 07:27 AM
Changing the split may be a good thing for you specially if you dont feel good w/ what you have now. Im sure you could find a ton of good ones online on different sites. I found a great one for myself on www.bodybuilding.com. Keep up the good work you have a nice journal going.

Wikked1
05-21-2003, 02:56 PM
Date Time
5/21/2003 6:25 PM 2 Boneless Chicken Breasts
1/2 Cup White rice
4 oz tropicana twister
7:50 PM 1/2 Ultramet shake
8:45 PM Uturn Bar
5/22/2003 6:00 AM 20 OZ water
8:10 AM Premier 1 Bar
9:15 AM 2 oz strawberries
10:10 AM Premier 1 Bar
10:30 AM 32 oz water
2 altoids
to eliminate
nasty protein breathe
12:30 PM 6 oz Baked Ham on WW Bagel & Mustard
1/2 oz CB cheddar
1:20 PM 32 oz water
3:00 PM uturn bar
4:15 PM Ultramet
4:50 PM Banana
Weight training......it's my day off...........good thing cause my a$$ is dragging.......and that's why I decided to take Wed. off......give my body a break......still researching a new training split........thanks to the www.bodybuilding.com link I think that may be the help I need.......it makes sense on paper....but those 1RM I'll need to research that I guess......stay tuned!

clvmike19
05-22-2003, 07:39 AM
Hopefully youll find a good split on there. There should be one it seems that they have a wide variety of splits....

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 11:28 AM
i also have a few ideas on some spilts (if you want my advice) ;) shoot me a PM or post on here if you need any help or anything

Wikked1
05-22-2003, 12:58 PM
I have picked up some fantastic info in my short time here....that's why I love this place! Any way yesterday was a rest day for the weights I did my sworn duty and hammered out 24 minutes on the treadmill this morning. I decided I would step up to 4 cardio sessions a week but keep them a little shorter.....so I don't get stuck in a rut. Fitday.com sure made my diet tracking easier and (YEAH BABY) now I get a nice little graph that tells me about the macro nutrients of my diet (BEST PART is I DON'T have to write any code ) (I was considering it because the diet is such a hassle...) I recommend it to ANY ONE who wants to keep track of their diet....it's an awesome tool....and best of all the PRICE IS right! I will finish out my split this week but I picked up something from bodybuilding.com that I want to investigate......makes sense on virtual paper to me........and yeah I'll see if I can adjust my diet a little easier now too.....(That was always a pain in the a$$ because I would be stuck with essentially the same foods each day....all these great sights.....damn now all I need is another 35 lbs. of lean mass ......YAWNS I slept like sh*t last night.....late night session and I thought I'd need 2 of the wife's stacker 2s to stay up but the crap kept me up tossing and turning well past my bedtime....OH well let that be a lesson to you ......no stacker 2 anywhere NEAR dinner time........I wanted a little pick me up not a keep me awake all night capsule....but soon as these NO2 are finished (I upped them to 10 a day ) I'll put the stacker2 to good use to see if will help me rid myself of this body fat....good stuff I stayed awake through the most boring garbage!! (But I will sleep good tonight) I will post my diet later........I actually know what I am having for dinner and I'm right at the ~2800 cals range....next diet tweak is to reduce carbs and MORE fat......note the sugar has been DUMPED :)

Mik
05-22-2003, 01:09 PM
lad to hear you're having success with the diet. Fitday is a great site. It makes tracking foods so much easier.

Alke
05-22-2003, 01:23 PM
hey wickked just looked at your journal, your pretty much the same height/bodyweight/age as me, cool. you must be cutting huh, that hungry feeling will go away after a few weeks bro' but yeah I remember that hungry feeling I used to have waking up in the morning.......

I noticed that cafeine suppresses the appetite for myself, so by decreasing your cafeine that could be making you hungrier as well.

Hows that N02 working for you? I was thinking of gertting it when I get some more money coming in.

Good luck on your goals and finding a split that you like!

Wikked1
05-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Kenn: Yeah I was flipping though your journal we have some stuff in common and I'm betting the same dreaded metabolism too huh? As far as the NO2 goes....my wife says she can see the pump in my muscles me? I can't but I take her word for it.....attribute this to whatever you want but my calories are down and my strength is still going up (YIPPEE) not plummetting like I heard it would.........NO2 or 1/2 way decent genetics who knows BUT there's are some other more economical brands I wanted to try (because I DO LIKE it) but DAMN it's EXPEN$IVE...even with a Gold card.......when I pick up another brand I'll keep you posted on it......i think it's the arginine resposible for the "pump" but perpetual?? NOT....but my gym pump stays with me a LITTLE longer but unless I'm shirtless no one is ever gonna see it any way!

Wikked1
05-22-2003, 02:40 PM
source grams cals %total
Total: 2832
Fat: 69 618 22%
Sat: 25 227 8%
Poly: 9 78 3%
Mono: 22 197 7%
Carbs: 254 941 33%
Fiber: 18 0 0%
Protein: 319 1277 45%
Yeah I cheated ....this is not nearly as detailed as my excel pasted info.....BUT Fitday.com makes the diet tracking so easy and I am such a LAZY typist.......need to conserve the energy for squats

Wikked1
05-23-2003, 07:17 AM
5/22/2003 Smith Machine Squats
1 225 7
2 225 7
Leg Curls
1 130 7
2 130 6
Leg Extensions
1 250 7
2 250 6

BB Curls
1 95 6
2 95 5

DB preacher Curls
1 45 6
2 45 4
Fore Arm Curls
1 45 7
2 45 7

Standing Calf Raises
1 250 7
2 250 7

Abs 3 sets bw 20-30
I really have been trying to get lower and lower with my squats. it's tough on a smith to get low enough......eventually it feels like the weight gets too far behind me and I have to did my heels in to press the weight back up.....consider getting away from the smith machine and try squatting there instead! Next on my list.....continuing saga to find a good split.....I did my treadmill duty this morning and I don't know what the deal is but some days I sweat my a$$ off other days it's not so bad......could be a humidity thing I guess.......today it's cool enough for long sleeve sweats....me....I could go year round in a short sleeve T shirt . Yeah except this damn business caual dress code crap!
Jeans today though! Two more days of this 2 set stuff.....just doesn't feel like it's enough.....but then again who knows...I'm going for the abs.....how much size/strength will I sacrifice to get them?? Time will tell......

aka23
05-23-2003, 08:32 AM
I did my treadmill duty this morning and I don't know what the deal is but some days I sweat my a$$ off other days it's not so bad

Nice workout. I also sweat different amounts on different days when doing cardio at the gym. I have found that it is closely related to the temperature in the gym and the amount of sleep I have gotten in recent nights. I imagine that diet, current health status, and of course intensity/duration of the workout are also important factors.

The smith machine limits your range of motion in some regard. Perhaps you might want to do some free squats every now and then, or even better squats in a rack with the bars placed just below your minimum depth.

GhettoSmurf
05-23-2003, 08:40 AM
i agree. try to shy away from the smith squats, and still to free weight squats. much better, and safer IMO.

Mik
05-23-2003, 01:51 PM
This is only my personal opnion but I ****ed my back up doing Smith squats. Maybe it was lack of concentration or form or whatever but since I've been doing free weight squats I've been fine and my lower back (knock on wood) has not given me any problems. Just my two cents.

Alke
05-23-2003, 02:29 PM
hey wikked, did you look at the wbb workouts/splits? are you just starting out or have you been working out very long?

Wikked1
05-23-2003, 02:32 PM
I agree with you guys.....I'm going to the rack for my squats from now on......the back thing is still not solved.....but I really think it's inthe greater trochanter joint area....feels like it's just out of place.....not dislocated but slightly misaligned.....and I'm a big skier.....I spend majority of the winter downhill skiing (can't be having this!!) 5 years of ski patrol.....what can I say it gets me outside in the winter?? I appreciate the feed back for you guys it keeps me from wondering endlessly.... just somedays I do wish I had a spotter for those days when i really want to pound my quads I have to do most of it on the leg extensions.....
I'm getting lazy about recording my diet here......the fitday sight makes it simpler.......I gotta sit down and figure out how to Link the diet from there into here.....if you guys know drop me a message please....

Wikked1
05-27-2003, 07:09 AM
Hmmm long holiday weekend.......it was a good one the weather sucked....but 3 day weekends are great !
My tendency is to avoid the computer like the plague during weekends.....Sorry guys after 8-5 Mon-Fri I just don't feel like even turning one on!..So consequently I just DON'T! Friday's workout was good.......Saturday's was a departure I will try to remember all I did......And yesterdays was good.....my diet? Stuck with it throughout the weekend......only real departure was Sunday......because i was away from home so much I didn't eat nearly enough......BUT I guess you'll have that now and then.....

Wikked1
05-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Yeah workout was a nice change of pace going to a more standardized split….my pecs told me about it when I did chest & tris….I DO enjoy that ACHE…….
Going to need 3 intense days of cardio this week…..I like doing cardio when I am up early and ready to go…….so I skipped it and it feels like months since I did any!

My water consumption goes to **** every time I stray too far from home…..(weekends) and I try like hell to get enough water but trust me there’s places where water is NOT what you want to drink.
Couple things I have noticed……the veins on my forearms are becoming more visible on top ….., my waist has stayed the same but the firmness around that area really feels different….I don’t feel so sloppy…I’m still a long way for my goal BUT these couple things I have noticed…..I do enjoy that vascular stuff…I want veins popping out everywhere……LMFAO yeah how cool is that!? Damn I forgot to get a BF% reading this morning…….but I was kind of groggy …..lazy this morning
OH sh*t yeah EGO boost for the month??!!

HEY what can I say it’s pretty rare so I do enjoy a little positive feedback……person who hasn’t seen me in a couple months…….saw me in a tank top the other day…..I was heading into the tanning booth…..”DUDE you’ve put on some serious size…….what about 25 lbs”? I was like “Hell yeah thanks for noticing”….something about when somebody notices that vindicates all the a$$ busting in the gym. Feels great to have someone notice…..it’s BEST when it’s FEMALE I think we’ll all agree on that but I’ll take a compliment any way I can get it!
Pretty sure I’m going back to a standard split of Chest & Tris /Back & Bis/Shoulders & Legs….that a 4 day split with abs EOD and cardio 3-4 times a week.
ONLY in the AM and only on an empty stomach….I feel like the veins in the arms are a direct result of the cardio I have been doing……but STILL I can’t keep that bicep vein popped out……damn it!……
Monday’s workout
5/26/2003 WG PULL UPS
1 BW 7
2 BW +10 5
3 BW +25 3
3 BW 3
LO ROW
1 180 7
2 180 7
3 180 5

DB BENT OVER ROW
1 120 7
2 120 6
DB PREACHER CURLS
1 45 6

PREACHER CURLS EZCURL
1 95 7
2 95/75 4/3
3 95/75 4/3
STRAIGHT BAR CURLS
1 65 7
2 85 5
3 65 7

ABS 3 BW 20-30

Mik
05-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Nice workout man! Those are some pretty impressive weights. Sounds like you've really been making some great progress. It's a great feeling when someone else notices positive changes. Good work!

GhettoSmurf
05-27-2003, 12:10 PM
i agree with Mik. it sounds like you are making AWSOME progress. especially if you can see some veins now, odds are you are probably losing some BF% :) . also, with the water and making sure you get enough, have you ever tried taking a water bottle full of water along with you? whenever i go out for a car ride, i always bring a bottle of water along for the drive. same thing when im in school. just a suggestion. keep it up man!

clvmike19
05-27-2003, 12:36 PM
great job! agreed on the compliments. Gotta love that because it makes everything worthwhile. Keep it up!

Wikked1
05-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Diet......dinner to be posted w/Tomorrow's diet.
5/27/2003 5:45 AM 6 oz Black coffee
8:15 AM 2 cream of wheat & 2 Scoops Juiced Protein
9:30 AM 1.5 oz cashews
10:00 AM 20 oz water
11:15 AM Uturn Bar
12:30 PM WW Bagel 6 oz ham and mustard
20 oz water
2:20 PM Premeir 1 C&C protein bar
5 oz Fresh strawberries
3:00 AM 20 oz water
3:55 PM Ultramet Shake
4:40 PM 1 banana

aka23
05-27-2003, 04:58 PM
My water consumption goes to **** every time I stray too far from home…..(weekends) and I try like hell to get enough water but trust me there’s places where water is NOT what you want to drink.

I agree with GhettoSmurf about the water. I often run into similar problems when going on a trip or when doing a workout outdoors. To avoid this I sometimes bring a bottle of water with me, like the type that cyclists use.

Couple things I have noticed……the veins on my forearms are becoming more visible on top ….., my waist has stayed the same but the firmness around that area really feels different….I don’t feel so sloppy…I’m still a long way for my goal BUT these couple things I have noticed…..I do enjoy that vascular stuff…I want veins popping out everywhere……LMFAO yeah how cool is that!? Damn I forgot to get a BF% reading this morning…….but I was kind of groggy …..lazy this morning
ONLY in the AM and only on an empty stomach….I feel like the veins in the arms are a direct result of the cardio I have been doing……but STILL I can’t keep that bicep vein popped out……damn it!……

Yes. Veins can really make you look lean. Congratulations on the improvements.

Mik
05-28-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by aka23

I agree with GhettoSmurf about the water. I often run into similar problems when going on a trip or when doing a workout outdoors. To avoid this I sometimes bring a bottle of water with me, like the type that cyclists use.

I do the same thing. I always carry water with me if I'm going to be out for awhile. Drives my wife crazy though, having to stop off for "breaks" so often. :)

Wikked1
05-28-2003, 07:46 AM
Let's see Today is a non weight training day....I HATE those.....I really DO! But I got on the treadmill for 28 minutes today....everything I read says to preserve mass limit cardio time to 20 mins. Yesterday's workout was good and I guess I really DO like working this split.......dedicating a full workout to shoulders just "feels" right.

GhettoSmurf
05-28-2003, 07:56 AM
Let's see Today is a non weight training day....I HATE those.....I really DO! But I got on the treadmill for 28 minutes today....everything I read says to preserve mass limit cardio time to 20 mins. Yesterday's workout was good and I guess I really DO like working this split.......dedicating a full workout to shoulders just "feels" right.

i've heard the best way to preserve the most muscle, and lose fat, is with HIIT. have you ever read/looked into it? or talk to aka23. he knows his stuff about cardio ;)

Mik
05-28-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

i've heard the best way to preserve the most muscle, and lose fat, is with HIIT. have you ever read/looked into it? or talk to aka23. he knows his stuff about cardio ;)

I agree, I've been meaning to start doing some HIIT for a few eeks now but I'm too damn lazy! :)

clvmike19
05-28-2003, 08:36 AM
Wikked, today is an off day for me too. Hat'em with a passion b/c the do is so boring, but its a neccesary evil. Keep up the good work.....

Wikked1
05-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Yesterday's workout SHOULDERS + ABS
I resolve to start performing abs on the incline bench for added resistance!
5/27/2003 Seated DB Shoulder Press
1 55 9
2 60 7
3 60 6

Front db raises
1 25 8
2 30 5
3 25 6
Reverse Incline Lat raises
1 25 7
2 25 7
3 25 5

Shrugs
1 225 12
2 315 8
3 315/225 7/7
Upright Row
1 65 12
2 85 7
3 85/65 5/4
Reverse Pec Dec
1 120 8
2 120 7
3 120/100 5/4

Abs 3 20-30

Mik
05-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Looks like a solid workout man. Shrugs and presses are strong.

aka23
05-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Let's see Today is a non weight training day....I HATE those.....I really DO! But I got on the treadmill for 28 minutes today....everything I read says to preserve mass limit cardio time to 20 mins.

The fraction of muscle burned during cardio is usually insignificant. It becomes more significant during special conditions that are usually related to low glycogen levels. This includes doing extended cardio on low calorie diets or low carb diets, doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach, doing extended cardio immediately after weights when glyogen levels are lower, and doing cardio that burns a lot of glycogen such as high intensity for long durations. Even during the most extreme conditions, less than 10% of energy usually comes from protein (including muscle protein).

Different authorities set different limits on how much and what type of cardio to do to minimize this. Some bodybuilding sites say limiting it to 20,30,40, or 50 minutes. Some more general sites go as high as 90 minutes. These recommendations usually fail to mention that energy usage is a function of intensity, as well as duration. As intensity increases, the fraction of energy from glycogen/glucose increases. Assumming you are not working out with lower starting glycogen levels, then you can safely workout for longer durations at lower intensities, but you might want to keep higher intensities at shorter durations. I doubt that 28 minutes would be a problem at any intensity, assuming you had sufficient starting glycogen and ate a decent meal immediately after the workout.

Alke
05-28-2003, 01:04 PM
hey wikked, shoulder workout looks solid, nice overall strength going on!!!

since your cutting are you weighing yourself everyweek (same day/time) to make sure you are losing weight each week?

Wikked1
05-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Ok Guys I'm feeling maybe TOO comfortable on this board I feel like I might want to post a progress (a BEFORE & AFTER ) picture set......SO does anyone want to provide a HOW-TO post a pic without having to QUOTE a previous message OR must I do post a seperate file like so.....Almost a year ago.....July 2002 171 lbs.

Wikked1
05-28-2003, 02:23 PM
BEFORE

Wikked1
05-28-2003, 02:25 PM
AFTER
195 lbs.
This was 12/21/2002 I need to do an update.
Yeah different pose ....and hell NO I ain't showing no legs in december man CASPER's A$$ has more color than my legs!!!
And nah what's the point of shaving the upper body ...it's not what I would call RAZOR worthy......(YET)....I do need to put up a recent one....

wibble
05-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Awesome progress man! Lookin good, keep it up!

Alke
05-28-2003, 05:52 PM
Damn bro'! looks like you really made some awesome progress with getting buff :D :D be nice to see some recent pics with you cutting and all.

I know what you means about the legs, you dont see no legs on my pics yet LOL, but their coming soon.........

really nice progress wikked :thumbup: :thumbup:

GhettoSmurf
05-28-2003, 07:45 PM
AWSOME job there man. seriously awsome. i think i better print those off and hang them in my room for some motivation ;)

wibble
05-28-2003, 07:50 PM
AWSOME job there man. seriously awsome. i think i better print those off and hang them in my room for some motivation
When I first read that sentence I thought you said the other "m" word....if you know what I'm sayin...think I better go to bed. :)

Wikked1
05-29-2003, 07:09 AM
Hey Guys,Thanks for all the kind remarks. wibble ! Dude I hope you got some REST! Maybe someone else can get a benefit from this thing....what I did was use it to motivate myself.....because it's a real b*tch to see changes in yourself....you can look all day long and not see them & I am pretty critical about my own body.....I would swear nothing changed so every month for the first 6 months I snapped a picture....then I would look at the OLD ones.....these two show the most change....and it helped me realize that my body was responding to what I was doing.......thanks again guys.....I do need to take a recent one....but I don't think the change has been that dramatic ....maybe a little more definition here and there but my weight is about the same....OH and I need to hit the tanning booth a coupel more times!
Anyway DAMN you know this change in gears and goign back to a normal split....I started feeling it late yesterday afternoon in my shoulders and I liked it! Still there this morning......good thing it's LEG DAY today....I did my sworn cardio duty and after a little more aka23 feedback I changed the pace and upped the intensity level......strange thing is...I feel totally AMPED this morning....I am cranked up and ready to go....good nights sleep? Cardio change? my "biorythms" and all the planets were aligned? Hell I don't know I just feel WIDE AWAKE and ready to hit the weights right now......my morning weigh in was 192......ignore the scale I must IGNORE the scale!!! ....no matter where it dips down to.....I hope the ZIP stays with me until 5:00 when I can hit the gym!
Anyway here's what I ate yesterday......note calories are down because it's a non-workout day...

5/27/2003 6:10 PM Uturn Bar
6:35 PM 8 ozMeatloaf
1 Large Baked Potato
8:30 PM 1/2 Ultramet Shake
5/28/2003
5:45 AM 4 oz black coffee
8:00 AM 2 servings of Cream of wheat
8:30 AM Premier1 CnC bar
10:40 AM 20 oz gatorade & 2 scoops juiced protein
11:30 AM 1.5 oz Cashews
12:30 PM WW Bagel 6 oz ham & Mustard
2:00 PM 20 oz water
3:10 PM Utrun Bar
4:00 PM Premier1 CnC bar
4:40 PM 1 Peach
5:15 PM 8 oz Sesame Chicken
2 cups Mac & Cheese

clvmike19
05-29-2003, 07:23 AM
wikked keep it up man! hope the energy stays w/ ya! lookin good all around....

Mik
05-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Damn man, that one helluva transformation! Seriously great progress Wikked1. Your hard work is definitely paying off.

By the way, I think your face is really pale. :p

Wikked1
05-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Well here it is 4:30....DAMN clock is SLOW I swear!!! My energy level has diminished from this morning but overall a speedy day......could I possibly be psyched about leg day?? Not sure.....really I think it's just the day off....I'm anxious to get back in the gym......I'd like to do legs with a workout partner but more than likely it will be me & my discman....so today's music selection....something a little retro Skid Row Slave to the Grind....I must check out White Stripe....and I have to say it.....I really like MOBSCENE (the tune) by Marilyn Manson.......what's wrong with me!!!??? Any way......today's eats

5/29/2003 5:40 AM 4 oz black coffee
8:10 AM 2 servings plain CoW (2) scoops Juiced Protein
8:30 AM 20 oz Water
10:30 AM 2 oz cashews
11:30 AM Premier1 CnC
12:30 PM 8 oz Chicken breat
around 1-1/2 cups Mac nCheese
the wife's a great cook but this is a little
H-E-A-V-Y on the fats! Damn!
12:45 PM 20 oz water
3:30 PM Ultramet Shake (Chocolate)
4:40 PM 1 Banana
1 Peach

GhettoSmurf
05-29-2003, 07:13 PM
sounds good man. i agree with you though. at times during the day, especially hile im at school, im bored out of my mind and have NO energy what so ever.

BTW, was the mac n cheese from the "blue box" or was it homemade?? ;)

White Stripes is alright IMO. but not somthing that gets me in the "mood" to lift. Ill stick to the hardcore speed metal :D

Wikked1
05-30-2003, 07:57 AM
Damn let me start with dinner after workout last night.....I had an awesome steak cooked out on the grill and some fried potatoes.....about 6:30 12 oz Steak 1 cup friend potatoes .......DAMN good after leg day!!!

OK well like I said my energy was down somewhat but I was pumped about leg day till I got in there........damn AC was on and in a matter of my warm up set I was already getting sweaty.....hey I like to sweat as much as the next guy but JEZUS it's been mid 60's just leave the windows open the AC buries the humidity in the place.....enough of my rants..... I will post my workout later but I went to the power rack for squats....felt a little clumsy and since I wanted ATF squats.....I went light....and as promised I did my abs on the incline bench BUT I'll be damned if it didn't aggravate the PAIN in my left ass cheek..WTF Another call to the doc today I guess...the mystery continues....over all my damn legs are whipped but I only felt like puking and I think it had a lot to do with the amount of sweating I did and heavy breathing!!! I tried to up the intensity by short rest periods since I was down on the weight in squats!

Wikked1
05-30-2003, 08:11 AM
I did manage 22 minutes of cardio this morning I was definitely NOT feeling INTO it when I got up BUT I did it any way....and alternated between a quick jog and running and very brisk walking....I am encouraged by the physical changes I attribute to this early am cardio.....kicks my metabolism into hi gear and I don't know about anything else ....you know the vascularity thing is happening a little more but STILL not NEARLY enough for me....but it could be all in my head but my skin tone appears brighter....more "alive" if you will....So I'll keep doing it.....until I am happy in the mirror.....My workout follows...I was a little depressed with the weights but felt like the leg presses took a lot out of my quads....and the ATF Squats really forced my to concentrate on my form....

5/29/2003 Squats in Power Rack
1 135 12
2 225 8
3 225 5
Incline Leg Press
1 200 10
2 400 7
3 400 6
Leg Curls
1 120 7
2 120/100 4/4
3 130/120/100 3/2/2
Leg Extensions
1 200 10
2 230 6
3 250 6
Standing Calfs
1 200 12
2 250 10
3 250 10

Incline Bench abs 1 bw 15
2 bw 10
3 bw 8

GhettoSmurf
05-30-2003, 08:41 AM
great job with the workout bro, and getting the cardio in.

how did the squats feel? ;)

Wikked1
05-30-2003, 11:12 AM
GS The ATF squats hit LOWER in my quads.....but I am not sure if it's any different than the area that gets hit with extensions....LIke I said I feel awkward in the power rack.....must develop sound form before ATF with any big weight......primary concern DO NOT HUNCH the back when you go below parallel.

Alke
05-30-2003, 01:52 PM
hey wikked leg day looks solid, I know what you mean about ATF squats, I just started going low on them and it is a totlally different feel than a parallel squat.

I once pulled a muscle in my right ass cheek :D :D and cause it only bothered me in certain positions I went to the doc and he gave me these weird stretched to do where you lay flat on your back with legs straight, then cross the right leg over the left and pull on the knee of the right leg with your left hand (pulling it down) until you feel a stretch in your right cheek. hold this position for 30 seconds, switch and repeat with other leg. I forget what the name of that particular stretch is called but it worked for me.......

Wikked1
05-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Kenn : I know the exact stretch you mean....that's the one that feels the best I try to do it often. But I appreciate the advice...it IS SOLID!
THANKS!

On another note HOLY CRAP.....it's a little after 4:00 and I got up from my desk........hooo boy I wish my QUADS were as BIG as they felt!!! It feels like I ran a marathon yesterday. I wonder to myself.....is it the CHANGE in workout or could it be that the NO2 helped with DOMS? It's not anything unbearable just a tightness that says .....YEAH yesterday was indeed LEG day......Anyway.......getting late I can't wait to get my ass outta' here and into the gym....then the tanning booth...I vow to keep my water intake up all weekend and at the very least try to loads my diet into Fitday......Chest & Tris tonight I can't wait....the gym is usually EMPTY on Fridays!!!

Diet:
Date Time
5/29/2003 6:30 PM 12 oz Steak
1 cup fried potatoes
8:00 PM 1/2 Ultramet Shake
5/30/2003 5:45 AM 4 oz Black Coffee
6:15 AM Premier1 CnC Bar
9:30 AM 2 CoW (2) Juiced Protein
11:30 AM 20 oz water
12:15 PM WW Bagel Ham & Mustard
Premier1 CnC Bar
6 oz Energy drink(FIRE)
2:00 PM 2 OZ cashews
3:45 PM Ultramet (Chocolate)
4:30 PM Uturn Bar
1 Med Peach

aka23
05-30-2003, 02:38 PM
Nice leg work. The leg extensions are quite impressive. My gym also gets slower on Fridays. Friday and Sunday tend to be the slowest evenings of the week. On Superbowl sunday evening, there were under 1/2 dozen people in the entire gym.

Wikked1
06-02-2003, 07:26 AM
Whoa what a weekend.....I don't know what was going on but my quads were so sore I walked like a toddler all weekend.....it's not like I hit them hard....I wonder if NO2 has anything to do with helping alleviate DOMS....cause I felt like a real WIMP all weekend......and then my pecs I can't remember being so sore....I don't know why....but the only thing I can come up with is the NO2....but I like being sore....I just hate walking like a wimp!
I did manage to get enough water in over the weekend......and my calories were down to 2200-2500 and I got my workout in on Saturday.......no Cardio ......details to follow.....I guess I'm just a little miffed about being so DAMN sore all weekend.......the only other wierd thing I did was hit the tanning booth on Friday after workout......

Wikked1
06-02-2003, 08:10 AM
My workouts for Friday and Saturday.....
5/30/2003 Hammer Strength Press
1 230/180 1/6
2 200 8
3 200 8
Incline DB Press
1 55 10
2 60 8
3 60 8
Decline DB Flyes
1 45 8
2 45 8
Incline DB Flyes
1 45 10
2 45 9
Flat DB Flyes
1 40 8
2 40 7

Abs
1-2-3- 20-30

5/31/2003 Weighted WG Pullups
1 +25/BW 3/4
2 +25/BW 3/5
3 +25/+10/BW 2/2/2
4 BW-50 7
5 BW-50 7
Lo Rows
1 180 10
2 200/180 4/5
3 180/160 4/4
4 160/140 3/5
Pull Downs
1 150 10
2 170 8
3 180/160 4/2

Preacher DB curls
1 45 6
2 35 8
3 35 8

Straight Bar Curls
1 65 12
2 75 7
3 75/65 4/3

Wikked1
06-02-2003, 08:23 AM
A couple things to note......My whey supply is running low and being the the first 7 days I need to get to GNC for some more....I think I will go back to Nitrotech (since the Pinnacle stuff is no longer on great sale)....Doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the two of them. As much as I really wanted to do cardio this morning I said Screw it because my quads were so sore over the weekend....and I am on a mission to see if I can get a decent workout partner @ the gym....I don't mind working out alone my workouts are faster....but sometimes it's NICE to have a partner to spot and challenge you for a couple more reps!!
In the meantime it's me and my discman......

clvmike19
06-02-2003, 08:28 AM
Agreed on the workout partner. I have a friend that goes to the gym but he never lifts. All he does is cardio stuff and he wants to get big! And whenever he lifts w/ me its never as intense. Ill do one exercise and he'll come back and say he did 3. I wish I could find a good reliable workout partner. The support is always good during a workout.

GhettoSmurf
06-02-2003, 10:20 AM
nice workout man.

a thing with the GNC, even if it is a "gold card" day or w/e (the first 7 days of the month) you could still probably find w/e you are looking for MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper on an online site like 1fast400.com . just a suggestion :)

wibble
06-02-2003, 10:51 AM
Nice workout Wikked1, chest is looking strong. I can understand why you had DOMS all weekend! ;) I agree with the workout partner as well. I mean you could go alone, but for some exercises you pretty much need a workout partner if you want to push yourself that extra bit further.

Wikked1
06-03-2003, 07:06 AM
Date Exercise Set Weight Reps
6/2/2003 db Shoulder press
1 60 6
2 60 5
3 55 5
Front db Raises
1 30/25 5/5
2 30/25 4/4
3 30/25/20 3/3/3

BB Shrugs
1 225 12
2 315 7
3 315 5
4 225 10
Upright Row (Cable)
1 140 8
2 140/120 6/3
3 120/110 4/4
Incline Bench Abs
1 bw 25
2 bw 15
3 bw 18
Abs
1~3 bw 30
Yesterday's workout was good....but not stellar ...I was hoping to throw the 65's on the shoulder press but WHOA those 60's for set #2 really made me rethink that...I ran out of gas in a hurry on that set it was like BAM! ah CRAP!....then i went to split ti with 50's and I couldn't get them started.......could be because I shortened rest time......and I think the lesser calories are starting to kick in........did some quickie measurements this morning.....no gains....anywhere.....the scale I haven't jumped on that one yet........but I suspect it's not changed much......OH well this damn cutting stuff is new to me........I did ADD Stacker2 (THANKS WIFEY) into my lunch box......it seems to give me a little oooomph....but no real strength or performance gains......I read a pretty good article last night I'll be toying with some ideas today......for arm training......my arms piss me off......too SMALL!!!

Mik
06-03-2003, 07:10 AM
Nice workout Wikked1. Don't get too frustrated if you feel you're not seeing gains. I know it's easier said than done. Especially when cutting you will tend to have less energy and may lose some strength. I know I did when I first started cutting. For me it lasted a few weeks but then things started to turn around. Just keep doing what you're doing.

What was the article about?

Wikked1
06-03-2003, 07:45 AM
Hey Mik, The article was about training arms on a seperate split versus the standard Chest/tri Back/Bi routine......it was along the lines of devoting a single workout to arms much like we do legs......work tris then the bis in opposing sets....1 Set tris 1 set bis......I thought it was interesting because my arms are fairly stagnant ......I know it's cause calories are down and strength seems to be falling off a bit too......but I was thinking of trying to cut my workout days back to 4 a week instead of 5 and try to figure out how to get it all done without being in the gym much more than an hour.......I really LIKE being in the gym 5 days....but I (like many others I am sure) wonder about everything......is my diet OK......should I adjust or tweak this or that.....hard to tell except when you are bulking you know you can just add quality calories until the weight starts coming on...........it's different the other way......you know?

Alke
06-03-2003, 01:50 PM
hey wicked, havent checked in to say wassup in a bit....since your cuttting I wouldnt worry about gaining anything on measurements right now, I would focus on keeping strength levels constant and maybe even having continued progress on making gains with the weights (your lean body mass will start showing more during a cut and you should be getting harder vice larger during a cut IMO)

It could help to bold text any new weights you get up or extra reps out of a workout as well and gauge your progress that way.

Have you checked out the article by chris mason on this site about gaining an inch on your arms? If you were to follow it, that would mean you would need to change your whole routine again, but it could give you something to think about for future reference.......

Another thing you could do would be to give 21's a try. This is something you dont see anymore and you use DB's or I have even done them with a Standing BB Curl. Use a weight you can do 7 reps from the bottom of the curl to midpoint, then 7 reps from the top position of the curl to midpoint, then 7 reps with full ROM to make 21 reps. I usually do 2 sets of this, but I HAVE done more on a good day when I was a curl jockey :D :D

I know what you mean about calories on a cut, right now they are not a problem since I am bulking, but when I cut I will need to figure what to eat to keep energy levels from falling during my workouts...

Wikked1
06-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Yeah I got lazy again and didn't post my diet here......was another 2900 cals 40/30/30 day.....think I want more protein less of something else who knows.....forgot to mention I did my cardio yesterday.....and this morning....I've been adjusting things here and there.....upping the treadmill speed for a minute and then back down......gets my heart rate WAY up there.....but I never thought I'd enjoy running on a treadmill....(I always used to say I'm not running UNLESS it's for my LIFE) well in a way I guess it is....just taking bits and pieces of everyone's journals and putting them to work for me......the cardio is mostly due to Aka posting his kick ass cardio sessions.....I don't know if I'll ever do that kind of volume BUT it gives me something to shoot for...taking a stacker2 before i get started on the treadmill and eating a protein bar before I hit the shower in the morning.....hoping to talk my body into burning more of the fat ......
Main changes I see......are along the belt line....less and less "flab" (it's really not bad at all but I'm hypercritical about that anyway) ......it's begining to look more like muscle along the sides of my waist......still no lower abs.....intercostals are showing up more if I flex em.....
Yesterday's workout I'll post in a bit.......over all it was a good workout......more veins popping out even the bicep as I was doing tris yesterday....but still not permanent! :( I did 70's on the incline bench yesterday BUT my first attempt to get them up I realy must've strained the shoulder a bit because it's SORE as all hell and I can definitely feel it .....perhaps I should NOT do chest day after shoulders.....hmmm who knows?? Today is a rest day (good thing) because I don't know how this shoulder is going to feel when I decide to do Weighted WG pullups......more later

clvmike19
06-04-2003, 07:48 AM
Hey good work. Its great to notice changes in yourself. Thats tough for me to do. I still think I look almost like I did at 138. Keep working hard and those veins will be poppin like crazy. (I hate them :D I look like a GD grapevine in my arms sometimes) Keep running and listen to Aka b/c he's some sort of superman freak lol.

I also do shoulder/back after chest day but I get a day of rest in between and usually I feel ok.

Wikked1
06-04-2003, 08:03 AM
Thanks Mike...the veins are cool dude :nod:.....to a degree anyway .....
Here's my workout from yesterday.....and yeah TG today is a rest /RECOVERY day

6/3/2003 Hammer Strength Press
1 230/180 2/4
2 200/180 4/4
3 200/180 3/4
Cable Xovers
1 60 12
2 80 10
3 90/80 5/3
Decline Flyes
1 45 7
2 45 6
INCLINE DB Press (GEEZ how did I forget this!)
1 70 6
2 70 4
3 65 5
Incline Flyes
1 45 8
2 45 8
Flat Flyes
1 45 5
2 40 7
Weighted Dips
1 +25/bw 4/4
2 +25/bw 3/4
3 +35/bw 2/3
Tri Pushdowns
1 80 8
2 100/90 3/3
3 80 7
I did these on the Lat pull down.....damn what a difference I could double this weight on normally on the pulley machine
DB Kickbacks
1 25 12
2 25 10
3 25 8
10 sec recovery

Mik
06-04-2003, 08:47 AM
Nice session Wikked1! The dips are progressing like crazy. Nice pressing strength too. I find I need at least a day if not two between shoulders and chest or my delts start screaming at me.

Wikked1
06-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Thanks Mik......Dips I am getting there but DAMN I have a long way to go....I will grab the 45 plate next session and remove the decline flyes.....my goal is to hit 8 reps w/+45 for dips! MY delts are whimpering as I type......definitely need to adjust .....the split so that chest /tris do not follow shoulders without some rest.....maybe will move legs after back/bi day ....yeah that sounds good....I think I like it......least I'll be fresh for Back & biceps on Thursday.......going to try for bw+35 on pullups.....now WHERE did I put that ICY HOT? (j/k)

clvmike19
06-04-2003, 09:05 AM
How about:

Legs
rest
Bi/Tri/Forearm
rest
Chest
rest
Back/Shoulder
rest

Thats what I do. I dunno maybe it sucks.

wibble
06-04-2003, 09:33 AM
You have 8 days in your week mike?! Damn no wonder you're making such good gains! ;)

Your workout looks awesome Wikked1! You'll be doing 45 on Dips in no time. I think I've increased the poundage on my Dips every workout for the past 5 or 6 weeks. Your Incline DB Press is lookin strong, I would agree that it must be hard to do it after Shoulders though. Anyway keep up the good work! :thumbup:

clvmike19
06-04-2003, 09:44 AM
why yes I do.......*quietly walks back to 1st grade math class*

wibble
06-04-2003, 10:31 AM
LOL! :p

aka23
06-04-2003, 11:56 AM
MY delts are whimpering as I type......definitely need to adjust .....the split so that chest /tris do not follow shoulders without some rest.....maybe will move legs after back/bi day ....yeah that sounds good....

Nice gains in the recent workout. I am glad to hear that you are seeing visible body composition changes.

I agree that it is a good idea to not do chest / tri after shoulders. The shoulder press uses some of the triceps and chest muscles as synergists, and some of the chest exercises use the anterior delts as synergists. There are some good alternative splits listed at http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html . There are also a lot of good splits in other journals.

Wikked1
06-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Ok Guys.....I had to come back in.....I had a hair cut appt. this afternoon (ANYTHING to get away from this desk for a while)....ANYWAY.....in a journal entry more like that of clvmike I have my own afternoon HOT CHIC report.......now understand guys I'm married and I love my wife.....but I'm NOT BLIND!
It's indeed a rare priveledge to have the hands of a very attractive lady running through your hair.......she's doubley attractive because she's got such a fantastic personality so in my book that makes her a solid 9 ......you guys can all insert your own criteria as for what will constitute a "10" but I can only rate females up to a 9. Ratings exceeding 9 involve contact that would not be proper for a married man.... So for a 1/2 hour my delt quit aching and I sat and relaxed and wished just like all guys do when a babe cuts our hair....that she would come around to the front of that chair and have her way with me all the while running her hands through my hair!!!!!.....LMFAO.....makes me want to wish I got my hair cut every damn day.

Mik
06-04-2003, 12:31 PM
*runs out to get hair cut* ;)

Alke
06-04-2003, 03:08 PM
hey wikked nice workout :D were both about the same strength on quite a few exercises....... NICE dips too!!!!!!!! I get looks when I do mine LOL cause I made my own dip/weighted pull-up belt. What I did was bought a firemans belt (has a LARGE hook on back) and three LARGE fasteners to strap the belt around your waist. Then I got 4 feet of chain that I double up and hook that the the large hook on the belt for weights. My guess is the belt is originally intended for fastening a cable to it so that you can be pulled out in an emergency.

DB Kickbacks tuttut I would substitute some form of reverse grip cable pull downs for those, either one armed or using a bar and both arms. I did kickbacks once upon a time and you just cant get enough weight going to cause any kind of growth, My own opinion but I stopped doing kickbacks a LONG time ago.

Wikked1
06-05-2003, 07:14 AM
Thursday Morning.......slept like complete CRAP last night.....too hot ....too cold.....tossed and turned and 5:45 came WAY too damn early for me BUT I got up had just enough black coffee to wash down the vitamins and sit with the wife for a few minutes...my delts are still objecting to reaching to far........ooooopssie we won't be following shoulder day with Chest and tris EVER again!
So anyway I intended to do my treadmill duty this morning but I had ZERO energy.....couldn't keep my eyes open....almost called in and said screw it I'm too tired but sat and watched the news this morning.....and skipped the cardio because I'm undecided if I will do legs OR back & bis today...depends on the crowd at the gym and what I can access easier.

MIK Took look in the mirror this am decided hair needed another inch removed (j/k) figured you'd appreciate that.....but perhaps that's why I didn't sleep........hairdresser on the brain!

Kenn Agreed I am not wild about kickbacks......I am going to try the exercise I read about in your journal.......one armed reverse grip things.....

Mik
06-05-2003, 07:25 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm hairdresser :drooling:

clvmike19
06-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Wikked1, I know what you mean about hotties cutting your hair. The shop I goto sometimes has a nice chick working there and I usually get her to hack up my hair. :D

clvmike19
06-05-2003, 09:24 AM
oooooo don let the wifey see what you have under your sn! tuttut

Wikked1
06-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Mike yeah I hear ya......more out of boredom than anything else I'll figure out some cool catch phrase of my own and change it...the wife would be far less amused even though better than 2/3 of the unrelated females I know she refers to as my "girl friends".....I prefer to call them "contingency plans" but it's really in a smart A$$ manner.

clvmike19
06-05-2003, 10:14 AM
lol contingency plans!

Wikked1
06-06-2003, 06:39 AM
Friday again......another week about to fizzle out.......keep wondering if it's goign to be cloudy and over cast all damn summer or what!? Looks like Fitday is down... DAMN......well my diet has been very consistent......I did my treadmill duty this morning but I was not into it at all.....energy level was about CRAP! But I managed......Workout yesterday was so-so.....I'm still a little sore in the delts but leg day yesterday was out of the question....too many people working legs yesterday.....frig it I did back and bi's.....my delts were not appreciative of the weighted pull ups....I told my delts to GET USED TO IT!...they told me to get used to the sound of Rice Crispies Cereal....SNAP CRACKLE POP!
(Little humor there.....just shoulders ALWAYS make some noise.....but the pain is not an injury pain it's fatigued pain.....) even though I like working shoulders seperately I will continue to investigate a 4 day split....trying to integreate delts into Chest Day....and traps into back day......the 5 workouts per week plus cardio and depleting my energy along with the caloric deficit ....bedtime can't come early enough for me some nights!!!
I'll post my workout in a bit.......

Wikked1
06-06-2003, 07:42 AM
6/6/2003 Wide Grip Pull ups 1 +35/bw 1/4
2 +25/bw 3/4
3 +25/bw 3/3
4 bw 6
Lo Rows
1 150 12
2 180 10
3 180 8
One armed DB rows
1 90 10
2 90 12
3 90 9

Hammer Curls
1 35 12
2 40/35 4/3
3 35/30/25 5/3/2

Cable Curls
1 60 10
2 70 6
3 60 8
ABS
1 bw flat 25
2 +10 incline 18
3 +10 incline 15
As yesterday's workout shows I felt kind of FLAT....energy went away real quick....lo rows and one armed rows was really the end of it......the cable curls however are a neat little exercise I give my former partner credit for........using a cable cross over machine and a single handle in each hand you stand with your arms fully extended with a cbale in each and walk a step or two forward so the weight is pulling down & back against your bis.....then you curl........this really helps me make that sxqueeze at the top of the curl......the ever elusive "mind muscle connection"......just pushing or moving the weight don't do much for me....I have to contract the muscle that's when I get the most of my workouts....but to do it right doesn't take a lot of weight .....strange the same concept doesn't seem to matter for my legs.....but arms and chest yes.......shoulders no......weird indeed and I just thought I'd bring it up in case anyone else has similar experiences......CALFS are an exception to everything.....being a drummer for so many years not much can help them....but that's a common problem.......I need to set my kit up again......(a good form or cardio really I haven't played seriously in about 8 months......and it's sure more fun than running on a treadmill......SORRY WIFEY.....) and to all those reading....there's probably NOTHING more obnoxious than hearing drum tracks ONLY to your favorite tunes....so I try to blend it in with the stereo....and play along with the CDs of my choice but I hit 'em pretty hard....so it tends to over power my makeshift play along studio......thus I wear headphones :D.....yeah the nieghbor will be wishing I was a guitarist and I will to because hauling drums around just SUX....breaking them down and setting them up SUX too....but I can manage 2 hours or more of sustained play there... (he-he) but don't kid myself it's not all in the target heart rate for cardio unless I'm playing to something with double kick notes all the way through.....Pantera ....METALLICA....Oh well I digress this is a hobby the wife could SURELY live without (sorry HONEY)....:moon:

Alke
06-06-2003, 08:13 AM
hey wikked, WGPU look wikked LOL, your really pushing yourself with that +35 When I first added 35 I was like, damn thats heavy! pretty soon youll be able to attach the wife to your belt while you do those :D

Contraction is GREAT! I use that on my arms and chest exercises myself (especially where dumbells and cables are concerned). Some people may think it isnt that important, but once I started really squeezing the muscle on arms and chest I have gotten better results ouot of my workouts as well. I havent figured calves out yet.

I play guitar sorta and when I played with friends up north we would start drinking while the drummer set his stuff up. By the time he would finish we always somehow managed to get quite a few shots of JimBeam in us :D :D

Mik
06-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Nice workout Wikked1, those pullups and rows are looking ace!

*rocks out to Metallica*

aka23
06-06-2003, 10:00 AM
I also noticed that fiday.com was unreachable. It was online last night. This morning tracroute's seem to fail after netway.lwr.fe-2-1-mhtnh0-1.g4.Net (216.177.5.62), before their server. Hopefully it is just a webhost problem, that will be resolved shortly. Nice workout.

Wikked1
06-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Man it feels like it was a long weekend....but it wasn't......let's see Friday afternoon (THIS is going to be my little RANT because I'm not sure if I should be pi$$ed or flattered)....the GM @ my job gave me this little speal about steroids....alluding to how they are similar to cocaine & heroin.....yaddaa.....yadda....for the record I am up to this point 100% natural.......I said something to my wife and the more I think about it the more pi$$ed I get......WHY?? I bust my a$$ in the gym 5 days a week and on the treadmill.....and some goofy little Sh*T for brains GM thinks that these hard earned gains came from a syringe? WHAT a DORK....very irritating little big man he is any way.....but I work my a$$ off and little dorks like him think it's all about steroids....really just shows his lack of intelligence and THANK god I don't have to report to his know-it-all ass!! Any way I should say that this is a primary reason I no longer have a workout partner......my workout partner (X) I have known for longer than I've known my wife......and he's been into this body building stuff a lot longer than me.....anyway.....when he found out I was working out he wanted to hook up and workout together.....I looked at the size of him and declined until I had 8 weeks of training under my belt....(I knew otherwise I'd be too sore from his training regimen)......so anyway I got into shape and then gave him a call and we hooked up and started working out together.....I enjoyed working out with him sure as hell.......he was a good partner and all but then he started tellling me about him doing steroids......now ME?? I could care less if that's what you want to do.... go for it....your body....your money......but the thing with him was he was telling EVERYBODY.....and I mean EVERYBODY.....so people started to make assumptions that because I worked out with him.......then I must be doing them as well.........that's when I said screw that......I mean between you guys and me? I would LOVE to get the kind of gains he was getting.....his chest and shoulders were HUGE.....arms.......BIG....I mean 17.5" arms on a little guy......he looked huge.....but I just didn't want the hassle and consider I quit smoking so I didn't want to replace one drug (nicotine) with another......and I'll be damned if I want people assuming I took anything to get what little I feel like I have got out of a syringe.....it's one thing If I am , another entirely if not......so yeah I guess I should consider it flattery except the GM here is a little DORK anyway........and he's one of those guys with "little big man" syndrome......So even though I'd love to have those kinds of gains...I'd love to pack on that kind of mass,I don't want the hassle and I don't want the kind of talk that is associated with my X workout partner .....in the end does it matter? no because most people will draw their own conclusions any way.......BUT after seeing what it does for my former partner it's easy to spot the difference between natural and juicers.....those guys get HUGE....across the delts,chest,traps.....would I like to look like that? You bet your a$$es I would BUT.....I don't want to have to deal with all the other issues that go along with it......so there's my big rant....I'd be one hell of a lot bigger if I took steroids.....(damn at least I hope so!!!)

Next up my Friday workout.......Saturday workout

Wikked1
06-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Friday's workout was LEGS.....I do look forward to leg day so my upper body gets a break!
Screwed up the dates of previous workout!! (GEEEZ Friday was the 6th!!!)Date Exercise Set Weight Reps
6/6/2003 Squats 1 225 12
2 225 8
3 225 7
4 135 16
Incline Leg Press
1 200 12
2 400 8
3 490 6
Seated leg extensions
1 200 7
2 230 7
3 250 6

leg Curls
1 110 11
2 120 8
3 130/110/90 3/2/3

Standing Calf Rasises
1 200 12
2 250 10
3 250 12
ABS
1 bw flat 25
2 +25 incline 15
3 +25 incline 12
Some notes about ab work....it's still a little awkward working with a plate....I can't decide if I prefer it behind my head.....or on my chest!!!

Wikked1
06-09-2003, 07:25 AM
Saturday's workout CHEST & TRIS
Date Exercise Set Reps
6/7/2003 Hammer Strength Bench Press
1 200 6
2 200/110 6/3
3 200/110 3/7
Incline db Press
1 55 10
2 55 10
3 65 7

Cable Xover
1 100 2
2 60 4

Weighted Dips
1 +35/BW 5/3
2 +35/BW 4/4
3 +35/BW 4/2
4 BW 8
Reverse Grip Cable Curls
1 120 12
2 150 8
3 150 6
Over Tri Extensions (Cable)
1 100 10
2 140 6
3 120 6
Saturday's workout was a humbling experience.........first thing I noticed was that my shoulders were sore as hell.....The Hammer Strength machine I netted my biggest set (200) X6 which was nice.....I only count the plates I have no idea what the device weighs without plates.....I do this with ALL devices byt the way (leg press smith machine) WHY? Cause I really DON'T CARE how much WEIGHT is on the machine......as long as it's enough to stimulate growth!!
ANYWAI I did my bench work and went for the cable cross overs and theat when I discovered how really sore my delts were.....to the point I said NO WAY....on 100 and I completely SKIPPED ALL FLYES.....my left shoulder is still sore......so I decided to get the joints a rest and pounded out some really good weighted dips......I was kind of pumped I got 5 with +35 for my first set cause I thought 4 was it......anyway......Sunday was a rest day......My diet was great all weekend......the wife DID make some banana bread so I did have to indulge in that with her....(hey guys she'a a great cook too!).....anyway....pretty sure the left delt was done in by last weeks set of 70 lb inclines.....after shoulder day....today I am going to try and incorporate traps into my back/bicep day and get down to that 4 weight days.....a week and 1 cardio session.....once I get to that I MAY get to a 3 day split....where it's 3 days weights in the gym and two cardio days plus my treadmill @ home cardio....time will tell......I need to get to 4 first!

clvmike19
06-09-2003, 08:06 AM
Great workouts. Hey eat more banana bread. It has calories. they help you grow. :thumbup:

Mik
06-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Those dips are looking great Wikked1. Nice work. Nice post on the GM by the way. I would simply take his comment as a compliment and dismiss him as ignorant.

aka23
06-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Nice workouts. Sorry to hear about the issues with your GM. Perhaps he gave the speech about steroids because your workout partner was telling so many people he did them and encouraging others to use them, not because he suspected you used them. Personally, I would not want to workout with a guy like that.

rookiebldr
06-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Your gm is an idiot IMO. He has no business lecturing you about gear even if you were to take them.

Nice progress on the weights, dude.

Wikked1
06-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys......yeah my GM is not the rocket scientist he would have us all believing he is......but that's his thing....he wants to come off like a super intellectual guy. Always trying to impress others...usually at someone else's expense. I just don't find that character/personality trait very appealing so I might let on that I think he's a pompous a$$ from time to time but always maintaining a politically correct posture. :D

Alke
06-09-2003, 02:39 PM
nice workout wikked. You have made great progress and someone who doesnt know better might assume gear was involved. Like you said, most people havent seen how big people actually get when they take that.......and even if you did he should mind his own business.

Just ignore him and keep up the great progress!!!

GhettoSmurf
06-09-2003, 07:56 PM
i agree w/ everyone. you are making some GREAT progress wikked. dont let one fool slow you down :) you've got ALL of us behind ya ;)

Wikked1
06-10-2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks guys.....just a little rant there. Future reference to him will be made as "Cookie" (short for Cookie monster) the guy ALWAYS has to be chewing a snack food when he's talking to me....and he chews while he talks......".munch munch...steriods are MUNCH MUNCH bad"..... munch munch...I forgot my password munch munch....ANY way cookie has taken up way too much space in my journal already....
Onto my workout.......and I admit I was so damn lazy today I skipped the treadmill which can only mean 1 thing...longer sessions this week......!!! My Dr. has me trying Celebrex for the leg/ass pain that has plagued me......upside is I can sleep better at night....down side is it makes me somewhat lethargic....I will have to remember to take a Stacker2 right after I have my vitamins in the am.......jeez I'm feeling like ELVIS....Pills to help me sleep....pills to pep me up.....
My workout? Back & Bis I'll post it later.....it was a good workout,.....BUT wg pullups aren't progressing as quickly as dips.....just not my forte' I guess..... for a change the sun is out and it looks like a nice day.......the only thing hosing it up is having to be confined to this desk!

Wikked1
06-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Yesterday's Workout
6/9/2003 WG Pullups
1 +25/BW 3/4
2 +25/BW 3/3
3 +25/BW 2/4
Lo Rows
1 160 12
2 180 10
3 200 7
1 arm db rows
1 100 12
2 100 8
3 110 8

BB Curls
1 85 6
2 85 5
3 75 7
4 75 5

Cable Curls
1 40 12
2 50 12
3 60 10
4 70 4
Abs Flat
1~3 bw 25/15/15
The cable curls are per side ....was great until I hit 70......then it was like THIS IS HEAVY!!! Abs......now why is it when you want to use a bench.....ahhhh never mind I will just say both damn incline benches were being used AND I tried a little variation in my ab work by doing side crunches....YUP they are TOUGH! My shoulders are still a bit sore....SO I will have to go easy on them....OH CRAP I did add in Shrugs last night.....3 sets 225 less straps....damn I can probably do 405 with straps but without them I was useless......my grip work will have to be static holds and I will use straps for shrugs because 225 while an "OK" weight just left me feeling like I didn't even work my traps last night....NO WONDER I forgot to add them IN....I will train them again tonight!!! with 315 + and use my straps.....sorry guys I will resort to a lifting aid when it helps me work the muscle group better......I don't think 225 is going to cut it.......
BUT as a side note my one armed rows were done without my straps.....big jump from last time....mostly grip strength related.......I'll be back to 125 very soon and leaving the straps off......which reminds me that IS the db limit at my gym.........GOOD! (I don't know why but 1 armed rows really make me breathe heavy.....every time......) because I am bent over? Maybe? Who knows??! Delts today ........an easy day and next time around these wil be worked in between Chest day and back day there by eliminating shoulder day.....and freeing it up for cardio (THE DEVIL'S work!)

wibble
06-10-2003, 10:56 AM
Future reference to him will be made as "Cookie" (short for Cookie monster) the guy ALWAYS has to be chewing a snack food when he's talking to me....and he chews while he talks......".munch munch...steriods are MUNCH MUNCH bad"..... munch munch...I forgot my password munch munch....ANY way cookie has taken up way too much space in my journal already....

Hahaha! I agree, damn you Cookie Monster! *shakes fist* Don't worry about that idiot though. You're lucky, you get the "holy sh*t you must be on steroids" comments. I get the "you must be taking creatine" comments. :p

My Dr. has me trying Celebrex for the leg/ass pain that has plagued me

LOL I found this funny for some reason. Maybe it was the way you worded it or something. Plauged by ass pain...hehe. I get a dull pain in my left glute. Sorry probably too much info. I could have called it my left ass cheek though, that would have sounded worse. :)

Nice workout you had though, I also am way ahead on my Weighted Dips than I am on Weighted Pullups. Keep up the good work too, you have been making fantastic progress since you started! :thumbup:

clvmike19
06-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Nice work Wikked1. Doing great and I hope you continue to see improvements. get stronger everyday thats the goal!

Wikked1
06-11-2003, 07:02 AM
Today is a rest day......and I feel like resting.....no cardio this morning......I've got a real lack of ambition going this week and my a$$ drags all day.....I wonder if it's the celebrex or not......BUT it does help me sleep.......nighty night...ZONK!
Let's see yesterday's workout was my last shoulder day...these will be done on chest and back day.....so i might be in the gym a little longer but I get an extra rest day getting me to 4 days.....this extra day will be spent doing the devil's work.....CARDIO!!!
I snapped some pics this mornig but didn't have time to download them to my system to see how they look..........
I wonder if anyone else feels like this....some days it justy doesn't matter what weight i've got in my hand....when I hit a certain rep count I am DONE.....it's usually in push exercises...It's like the blood has left my hands and I'm dead a$$ weak......just a comment.....nothign major but sometimes i think I could increase weight but never exceed a certain rep count....!!!
I ruled on Shrugs yesterday......I like doing these....probably because I feel like I can go BIG on the wieghts....but remove the straps and I'm all done!!! BUT on BACK day I intend to give 355 a shot!

6/10/2003 Shoulder presses MACHINE
1 130/110 3/4
2 120/110 3/3
3 110/90 4/5
Front db Raises
1 25 9
2 25/20 7/3
3 25/20 7/2
Lat raises
1 25 6
2 25 6
3 20 8

BB Shrugs
1 225 12
2 315 8
3 315 8
4 335 5
5 225 11

Abs Flat
1~3 bw 25/15/15
Abs Incline
1~3 bw 15/12/12

Alke
06-11-2003, 02:04 PM
1 130/110 3/4
2 120/110 3/3
3 110/90 4/5
Front db Raises
1 25 9
2 25/20 7/3
3 25/20 7/2

:confused: :confused: okay, I dont understand this at all LOL

I understood your reps for shrugs! those are looking tough wikked!

uhm, so are you using straps? I think if you added some static holds you might find that you dont need them just yet. For myself since adding static holds it has REALLY increased my grip strength (I noticed today that when I grabbed the 90lb plate for leg press I grabbed it with my finger tips inside the lip of the plate and I was like WOW, I can grip this sucka with one hand!)

Do you mean your gonna do a 355 dead or 355 shrug?

About those arms man, uhm....My suggestion would be to stop doing those isolation type exercises (any kind of cable curl, concentration curls, preacher curls, curls done with strict form) for your arms. Maybe focus more on BB Curl and DB Curls, as well as weighted chin ups :thumbup: and dont be afraid to cheat on the last few reps to get big weight up for arms.

Another thing to try would be to add an extra set where you go past failure every other workout for 4 reps (forced reps) this really takes a lot of effort and you should do this on a bulk since your cutting right now to recover better. I have used forced reps myself and they really get you moving big weight. What I have done is bump BB curl up high enough that I cant do it on my own and need my partner to spot my 4 reps making me work all the way. Not something to do every workout but it is a good way to push the envelope and get your body used to moving bigger weight for reps. (and remember to keep your stomach pregnant/pushed out to create a tight feeling around your midsection - just like you were wearing a belt)

Actually I have noticed that since I started focusing on BB military and BB front raises my curls are going up. I think those play some role in a Standing BB/DB curl, maybe in stabilizing the weight? But I was thinking if you focused on some front delt work that work help your curls as well............

pruneman
06-11-2003, 02:59 PM
Today is a rest day......and I feel like resting.....no cardio this morning......I've got a real lack of ambition going this week and my a$$ drags all day.....I wonder if it's the celebrex or not......BUT it does help me sleep.......nighty night...ZONK!

I can relate man. i hope it's not overtraining. Do you drink much caffine? I had a cup of coffee yesterday before i worked out and i was bouncing off the walls for about the first 25min and then i completely bonked. This may not be an issue at all for you, but just thought i'd bring it up in case you do drink caffine.

Well, hope that was a little help.

aka23
06-11-2003, 05:03 PM
I wonder if anyone else feels like this....some days it justy doesn't matter what weight i've got in my hand....when I hit a certain rep count I am DONE.....it's usually in push exercises...It's like the blood has left my hands and I'm dead a$$ weak......just a comment.....nothign major but sometimes i think I could increase weight but never exceed a certain rep count....!!!

Those are impressive shrugs. Nice work. Before doing a set, I usually look at how many reps I was able to do last week in my notebook. Once I exceed my previous rep count, I sometimes lose some of my drive and/or stop prematurely. I am most likely to do this with full squats since I do not train them to failure, but it sometimes occurs with other exercises.

Wikked1
06-12-2003, 08:26 AM
pruneman Thanks for dropping in ....yeah wondered about the over training thing myself so I tapering my weight days in the gym down......coffee was one of my last vices to go...I always had it with sugar and once I started posting here a couple guys suggested the sugar might be a bit hi hence black coffee in the am about 4 oz and that's it.....

Aka Yeah not really sure if it's a mental block or a physical one......considering a measurable drop in weights on one of the exercises to find out.......I was thinking maybe it's a time limitation to be more precise.....like I can only maintain that motion for so many seconds and that's it......sometimes I swear that's what it is..

Ok now for my general BS session.....hmmm I have really been slacking and my energy level is near zero all week....I have been sleeping better due to the Celebrex....keeps the leg/ass pain from waking my up during the evening...but it definitely takes me a lot longer to wake up in the morning......I'm fine after I shower and shave but till them I'm kind of LAME....
Cardio I haven't done it once this week......I just lack the motivation first thingin the morning....I was thinking of getting the bike out after dinner but it's been raining so much that I have no desire for that.....soon enough it will be pool time :D and I can get some swimming in....yeah it's just an above ground but it's great when it's warm enough! Not much going on in the mirror......although for whatever reason I've been getting some decent vascularity during workouts.......
LEG day today....I have also decided that I will be bringing my notebook back into the gym.....my memory between splits has me guessing about what weights to go with....I have a general Idea....and I know my strength is kind of stagnent due to the lack of big calories
Foods I've been using fitday so I'm still trying to figure out how to bring the important stuff into here without all the replication....DOES ANYONE know how to LINK it??? DAMN!!

Geez I do ramble on some.....more later I guess......

aka23
06-12-2003, 11:24 PM
Foods I've been using fitday so I'm still trying to figure out how to bring the important stuff into here without all the replication....DOES ANYONE know how to LINK it??? DAMN!!

There is an option to make your journal public in the "home" link on the side panel while logged in to fitday.com. You could also try a screen capture program.

GhettoSmurf
06-13-2003, 07:26 AM
it will be awsome to get your fitday journal in here bro! also, i agree with bring your journal back into the gym , and writing down the weights you use.

Keep on liftin~ :)

Wikked1
06-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Aka Screen capture....think I tried that once.....print screen and past into here......the formatting really got UGLY!! I will further investigate...Thanks for the idea though :)

GS Yeah I brought the old paper and pen back in with me.....my X partner used to give me crap about it....I always thought a log was a great tool....so I vow to use it......

Well for the last 3 nights I've been dealing with a tooth ache that would come and go.....hurt like hell to even touch it with a tooth brush so this morning I visited the dentist who proceeded to numb 1/2 my face and have it pulled.....damn thing !!!
That saga is over with THANK GOD.....I was getting miserable....my eating is WAY behind schedule all I've managed is a bar before seeing him....any way I am waiting for the novocaine to wear off so I can eat.....Ho HUM!

Last nights workout,.....had to use the smith machine.......I just don't have the patience to wait in line....for the power rack.....
generally speaking I was pretty stagnent on all things except abs & calfs.......I was a little inspired to push beyond the mental wall I hit with abs....and decided I really have to push myself harder to get this muscle group developed.......
The scale last night said 191.....damn I hate watching it fall off but the payoff is in the definition......anyway pictures I took yesterday looked like complete SH*T! The self timer on this OLD digi sucks! I need a new camera OR a way to trigger the darn thing.....Just got paid (YEE HAW!) maybe a new camera for lunch time .....nothing fancy just adequate....I've got a sweet 35mm but I'm beyond that stage now.....I want INSTANT pictures......no film!

Here's my leg day
6/12/2003 Squat in the Smith
1 225 9
2 225 10
3 225 10
Incline Leg press
1 400 10
2 490 7
3 490 6
Lying Leg Curls
1 120 10
2 130/110 3/4
3 140/120 3/3

Seated Leg Extensions
1 200 12
2 250 8
3 250 8
Standing Calf raises
1 250 10
2 250 8
3 290 5
Abs Incline
1~3 bw 25/25/25

GhettoSmurf
06-13-2003, 10:39 AM
sucks that the power rack was full. how many racks do they have at your gym? at mine they only have 2, but hardley anyone does squats or DL's. i honestly see more people doing bicep curls then squats in the racks. Darn curl jockeys.

aka23
06-13-2003, 05:06 PM
The scale last night said 191.....damn I hate watching it fall off but the payoff is in the definition......anyway pictures I took yesterday looked like complete SH*T! The self timer on this OLD digi sucks! I need a new camera OR a way to trigger the darn thing.....Just got paid (YEE HAW!) maybe a new camera for lunch time .....nothing fancy just adequate....I've got a sweet 35mm but I'm beyond that stage now.....I want INSTANT pictures......no film!

If you just want some digital pictures for posting, then you could take them with the 35mm and ask for a digital prints on a disk when getting them developed. I agree that the instant pictures with a new digital camera would be more convenient and may be a better solution depending on how you intend to use the camera.

wibble
06-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Nice workout Wikked1! Good idea on getting your fitday journal up as well. aka was right, just click on the home button when you're logged in and click the Make My Journal Public button. You'll get a link that you can paste into your signature if you wanted.

I'd love to get a digital camera also, doesn't have to be anything expensive. I wouldn't want to get any film developed of me posing and ****. I'd be too embarassed. :D

Wikked1
06-14-2003, 05:29 AM
Ok yesterday was a complete bust on the diet.....I was so far behind on my eating schedule due to the dental visit that I never did catch up......I managed my plain oats & some apple sauce fortified w/protein......a couple uturn bars.....a post workout shake.......and lastly a steakum sandwhich on WW roll (damn was that good)......(I like it w/a minimum of 4 steakums in there) pretty sure I got the FAT part covered!!! Calories were down......and damn my mouth is sore more from the novocaine than anything else (I think) oh well......yesterday's workout? I love Friday workouts.....my gym is always empty!!!! I managed chest & tris & delts......hi point was again weighted dips.....+45 X3 .......I know it's not a lot of reps but when you drop the weight and just go with BW....it's almost TOO EASY! :D I won't bother with th especific of the workout except to say that I tried less weight slower reps in order to give my delts some time to repair.....I think this could work......sometimes just slowing the rep down really caused a BURN......oh yeah front raises? 30 lbs.....thanks Kenn for the inspriration but these hurt if you go too slow on the way up!!! & down....today I'll get in the gym early and do back bis traps.....maybe some deads.......depends on how packed it is......got the relay for life thing today.....so I will get plenty of walking in over the night! (cardio?) yup!

Wikked1
06-14-2003, 05:36 AM
Aka ,wibble Yeah geez if I simply looked at the complete fitday page......there is a LINK......THANKS guys SWEET!

GhettoSmurf
06-14-2003, 06:55 AM
i noticed you got the fitday link up and working. i cant wait to check out the eatings ;)

great job with the dips as well!

Alke
06-14-2003, 11:38 AM
nice leg session wikked, I havent done anything in the smith yet, Id almost be afraid to do a low box squat on that thing. My gym has two racks and no one is ever in there, I usually clear the cobwebs every week when I get in the rack LOL.

those front raises can create stress and if pain is there, maybe try other exercises to see which ones isolate the movement better for you. I have always used front raises and front BB militaries, recently adding arnold presses and upright rows into my shoulder routine.

If there are other exercises you discover for shoulders let me know. Im always looking for new stuff to incorporate into my switch.

aka23
06-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Kenn
If there are other exercises you discover for shoulders let me know. Im always looking for new stuff to incorporate into my switch.

A good list of shoulder exercise with pictures and descriptions is at http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ShouldWt.html . I am thinking about substituting arnold presses for shoulder presses next week, due to some issues with getting the first rep up.

Wikked1
06-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Well I'm so damn whipped I'm not going to put Friday and Saturday's workout in here.....(too lazy) I think I got 8 hours sleep all weekend.....the dental problems and the relay for life thing well took a huge chunk of my hours I should have been sleeping and didn't get any ......my diet was crap....I didn't get nearly enough calories and my Saturday workout showed I should have waited longer.....I was just tired and had no energy.....still tired today but let me hit onthe weekend hilights.
It was at the relay for life that I saw an old friend of mine......now for those who don't know what this is it's a fund raiser for cancer.....it's an all night 12 hour walk-a-thon like relay with people relaying on and off the track every hour....so the wife and I decided we'd stay the night and hit 2 hours ....we eneded up walking about 4 hours and slept like zero.....
Now anyway I saw an old friend whom I hadn't seen since the event last year........and this was like the BOMB for me......he pulled me aside and said.....you got BIG......it's easy to see you've been working out since I last saw you....it felt so good I wanted to KISS him .....he was almost to the point he was embarrassing me....but I'll be honest it was awesome hearing it.....now last year at this time was before I began a whole new lifestyle.....but he came over to the group tent and was carrying on asking me if I'd be his personal trainer.....so even though I had a crappy weekend for sleep and eats and workout it was great to get that kind of ego boost. Another hi note was my wife got me an awesome MP3 player I can bring to the gym......good bye old discman (my discman has been my faithful workout partner since I got it).....but now I'm packing 4.5 hours of tunes.....in the palm of my hand....it's sweet I can't wait to load it up with MP3s and JAM!) This was a combination Father's day/1 year non-smoking anniversary present to me....and to be official here's the deal....I quit smoking June 24th 2002 and I began workout for real on July 1st 2002.....both dates are coming up quick......I guess I've got a lot to be pumped up about.....the MP3 player from the wife was fantastic....and a true hi light to my weekend.....so walking a minimum of 12 miles and with crap for calories has brought me down to 191 fully dressed on the scale.....and I guess the Tshirt for the relay for life is now my favorite piece of clothing.....(I may never wash it!!) (But honestly and for real I got so many comments about the "HEY have you been working out" kind that I think my face hurts from smiling......so I'd definitely do it all over again! It was a good weekend for the male ego......

Mik
06-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Wikked1, that's great to hear man. Sounds like the weekend was well worth it. It's definitely great to hear compliments like that. We see ourselves every day and it's easy to feel we aren't making the progress we feel we should but for someone to ask you to be their personal trainer rocks. Obviously you are doing the right things. Keep up the great work mate!

Coke
06-16-2003, 10:29 AM
:withstupi As the ole saying goes, "you can't hide broad shoulders" - Great to see all your work pay off and become obvious to everybody...they starting to jock you now! lol :)

Wikked1
06-17-2003, 06:49 AM
Well after the weekend and the day i had yesterday the last thing I felt like doing was heading to the gym to work LEGS but....it was LEG day so I went in and just about has the whole place to myself! I like it like that. So yesterday's session I tried to shorten rest periods in between sets....I was finished a little earlier than normal but I worked up a damn good sweat....the workout will be posted and I'm gonna play around with the formatting cause I'm tired of the disorderly look .....

Wikked1
06-17-2003, 07:04 AM
Power Rack Squats
225X8
225X6
225X8

Leg Curls
110x11
130X4/110X2
110X9

Seated Leg Extentions
200X10
250X8
250X6

Seated Calf Raises
100X12
155X8
155X8

Incline Bench Abs
BW+25X15
BW+25X12
BW+25X15

Floor Crunches
BWX25
BWX15
BWX15

Workout was nothing special......I was pretty whipped before I got there and considering I walked a lot of miles over the weekend I decided against leg presses this workout....my quad will thank me for it tomorrow.......usually takes me 2 days then the soreness shows up!

aka23
06-17-2003, 08:19 AM
I'm gonna play around with the formatting cause I'm tired of the disorderly look .....

I like the new formatting changes. The workouts read more clearly. Perhaps things will go better next week, after you recover from the walk-a-thon.

clvmike19
06-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Wikked, great to hear about the good comments youre recieving. Thats what makes all the hard work worth it. Congrats too on the year of no smoking. Thats a great achievement and something that is not an easy thing to do. :thumbup:

Mik
06-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Wikked, the new format is much better. Journal looks clean. By the way I tried your idea mixing the choc. whey with orange Gatorade.......delish. I'm hooked. Thanks!

Wikked1
06-18-2003, 07:42 AM
Workout Chest,Tris,Delts

FLAT BENCH DB

80X4
80X5
75X8
75X10

INCLINE DB

55X12
65X5
60X8

INCLINE FLYES

45X10
55X8

SEATED SHOULDER PRESS

110X4/90X2
90x5/70X2
90X4/70X2
70X8

FRONT RAISES

30X6/25X4
30X6/25X2
30X4/25X2/20X4

WG UPRIGHT BB ROWS

65X12
85X7
85X5

DIPS

BWX10
BW+55X1 GRRRR /BWX3
BW+45X3/BWX3
BW+35X5/BW23
BW+25X6/BWX2

TRI-PUSH DOWNS

170X4/150X4
180X3/160X2
180X3/160X2/140X2/120X1

OH TRI EXTENSIONS

110X12
110X8

Geez this morning I feel that self doubt about my workouts.....AM I doing enough? AM I doing too much? Why is my body fat being so damn stubborn around my waist??? GGGRRRR
Hi point MP3 Player really is sweet !!!
Lo points 80s were heavier than I thought :(
BW+55X1 Dip
Wanted at least 3 maybe next time......shoulder wieghts are down combining with chest day.....WHAT can I do to make things happen.....it's a funny thing about the UPS and DOWNS....one minute I'm flying hi because someone notices and comments....the next I'm looking in the mirror finding all my trouble spots....my wieght is down but my measurements are hanging tough....the most troublesome is the waist......it's barely budged ......and my calories have been DOWN.......Stacker2 .....ahhh who knows?? no wonder the liposuction clinics are popping up all around the country.....Is my diet crap or what??? Well today is a rest day I should hit the cardio but I have to do some sideline work.....damn it.....Oh well least it's raining out.....makes being here (work) easier

Mik
06-18-2003, 08:01 AM
+55 on dips eh? Nice improvement Wikked. You'll get 3 next time, don't worry about it. Nice work on the presses as well. As for the diet, have you ever tried a refeed? That may help to get things humming along again. Just a thought.

aka23
06-18-2003, 12:55 PM
my wieght is down but my measurements are hanging tough....the most troublesome is the waist......it's barely budged ......and my calories have been DOWN.......Stacker2 .....ahhh who knows?? no wonder the liposuction clinics are popping up all around the country.....Is my diet crap or what???

Nice gains on the dips.

Subcutaneous abdominal fat is often especially stubborn in men. Visceral fat with better blood flow, tends to be lost first. Subcutaneous femoral (leg) fat is often the most difficult of all. Fortunately this is not a big problem for most men.

Wikked1
06-19-2003, 07:26 AM
Mik,Aka: Thanks for the encouragement guys....I was just a little bummed I really wanted more on the dips. They are once again becoming my favorite exercise.

I am a little frustrated with myself ....I am still lacking the sleep and the ambition to get my butt up on the treadmill in the morning. Hopefully with vacation coming up I can get the rest I need and get back in the swing of things.......and MAYBE use the pool a little bit this summer!!! Today will be back & bi's with some traps and rear delt work thrown in.....

Mik
06-19-2003, 07:34 AM
Mik,Aka: Thanks for the encouragement guys....I was just a little bummed I really wanted more on the dips. They are once again becoming my favorite exercise.

I am a little frustrated with myself ....I am still lacking the sleep and the ambition to get my butt up on the treadmill in the morning. Hopefully with vacation coming up I can get the rest I need and get back in the swing of things.......and MAYBE use the pool a little bit this summer!!! Today will be back & bi's with some traps and rear delt work thrown in.....

Pool party at Wikked's! Woohoo!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about the lack of ambition. We all go through that. It may be your body telling you to take a day or two off. I know you've been going pretty steady for awhile now so an off day may be what you need.

Wikked1
06-20-2003, 06:40 AM
Mik yeah pool party my place first day it's over 80 and sunny!! (of course the pool will be about 68-70 degrees..)

Yesterday's workout was a good one....but i came to realize I can't fit shoulders in like I want ...I end up with too much time in the gym....about 1/2 longer....it was a nice theory and I tried it.

WG PULL UPS

BWX7
+35X3/BWX2
+25X4/BWX3
+45X0 GRRR!!!
+35X3/BWX3

LAT PULL DOWNS

150X10
150X10
150X6

LO ROWS

130X12
180X5/160X3
200X3/180X2
160X8

PULL DOWNS
(Not sure what the true name of this is but it's done at the hi pulley machine pulling down to the waist)

140X12
170X8/150X2
180X5/160X4
150X8

BARBELL SHRUGS

225X15
315X7
365X4
385X0 (my ROM on this was insignificant but I gave it a shot!)
365X4
225X12

INCLINE DB CURLS

40X6/35X3
40X3/35X5
40X2/35X3

PREACHER BENCH

75X8
95X8
95X5/75X2
75X6

REVERSE PEC DEC

110X10
130X4/110X4
140X2/130X2/110X2

INCLINE ABS

+25X18
+25X15
+25X12

Wikked1
06-20-2003, 06:59 AM
In summary .....I really like doing traps......it seems the more I do them the more they want....if only the rest of my body could handle that!!! I did notice my biceps got a huge pump out of the preacher bench and for the first time in a long time my forearms are NOT sore! Over all I was very pleased with my workout....my traps are sore as is the area around my shoulder blades ....but it's a good sore ...today is leg day again....I HAVE to make some gains here somewhere.....I just wish that for leg day I had a partner......someone to push me just a little bit on squats and stuff.....and today I think I'll go for throwing a db on to get more than 250 on extensions.....
OH GEEZ how could I forget about this??? SMACKS forehead!!!
Decidedly my ass/leg pain that has plagued me forever has somehow fixed itself......to what do I attribute this miracle? The relay for life...I put on some serious walking miles and was sore in the area but suddenly I realized I no longer have the pain....did all that walking move things around back where they need to be? DAMN I hope so!!!

Mik
06-20-2003, 07:11 AM
Nice session Wikked! Pullups are looking good. You'll get 45 next time, no worries. Your shrugs are awesome!

Coke
06-20-2003, 08:33 AM
Keep up the good work - You sure did a lot! :)
One of these days you are sure to find a squatting partner...

Wikked1
06-20-2003, 09:25 AM
My 15 minutes of fame......yeah this truly is me Winter of 2000 the guy with the long hair and it really is a real magazine......thought I'd post it here in my journal cause no one can tell how skinny I was under all that ski gear! One thing though skiing makes the QUADS BURN!!! Just felt like posting a picture of what else I do and since the weather has been so crappy it almost might as well be SNOWING!

Mik
06-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Cool pick Wikked! How'd you swing getting your mug on there?

Wikked1
06-20-2003, 09:41 AM
Just happened to be a decent pic the editors liked I guess.....we were doing some training on the hill and it made the cover......the "Cover Boy " jokes ran for days BUT it's probably the ONLY cover of any magazine I'll ever manage......Thanks Mik:)

aka23
06-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Nice gains on the pullups and shrugs. Working on the ski patrol sounds like quite an interesting job.

Wikked1
06-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Aka Ski patrol is a volunteer thing....it's got it's moments that's for sure....all I can say about it is this....I meet people and work with people I would under any other circumstance not normally associate with. It's a departure from my "normal" environment.

Friday's Work out
LEG DAY

POWER RACK SQUATS

225X10
275X4
225X7
225X7

LEG CURLS

110X12
110X11
130X3/120X2/110X2/80X2

LEG EXTENSIONS

235X8
265X6
265X6

I can handle more weight here I am sure of it!

CALF WORK ON LEG PRESS

310X15
380X8
410X7
450X6

ABS(DAMN INCLINE BENCHES BOTH BEING USED!)!

+25X20
+25X20
+25X20

Not bad......squats.....hmmmm that 275 was heavier than I thought......this is where I need a little DRIVE....oh well

Wikked1
06-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Saturday
CHEST & TRIS
OK had a partner today.....second time this guy is shredded and knows what he's doing in the gym......trouble is it's a workout just spotting for him BUT I did it any way....(120 db's on incline I get a damn bicep workout spotting him here!)

Hammer Strength BP
220X9
220X7
220X4/130X6
Incline DB

65X9
70X7

Cable X Over
60X15
80X8
100X6

Decline Cable Flyes

60X12
80X7

Flat DB Flyes

45X10
50X9

Incline DB Flyes

45X9
50X7

Tri Push Down on Lat Pull Down

80X12
90X6
100X4

DB Kick backs
30X7
25X9
20X9

OH Tri Rope extentions

110X10
140X8
140X3/120X2/100X2

Yeah some of these I don't normally do but it's great to pick up on someone else's workout....now the thing is with this guy it's like rapid fire work......no rest except when the other guy is lifting.....so I consider my spotting and very little rest almost a damn cardio session.....it was pure hell and I was near puking once after incline bench (my arms were beat) from the spotting and my sets...sweat my a$$ off :)

clvmike19
06-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Hey man good leg day and chest day. I like the new format of the journal. I see you have some sort of flaming skull of death for teh new avatar. Nice!

Keep kickin ass in the gym!

Wikked1
06-24-2003, 04:05 AM
Ah took the day off work yesterday it was awesome.....near 90...
Workout BACK & BIS

WG PULLUPS
BWX7
+25X4/BWX3
+25X3/BWX3
+10X5/BWX3
BWX6

LO ROWS
180X10
200X4/180X3
210X3/190X3

STANDING PULL DOWNS
170X11
180X5/160X3
190X3/170X4

ONE ARMED DB ROWS
120X7
120X7
120X6

PREACHER CURLS(EZBAR)
95X7
105X4/85X3
105X3/85X5
85X6

BB CURLS
65X12
75X9
85X6

DB HAMMERS
40X5/35X3
40X3/35X3
35X5/30X2

INCLINE ABS
+25X18
+35X14
+35X12

Wikked1
06-24-2003, 04:12 AM
Yesterday's workout was a good one considering I did a fair amount of yard work before I hit the gym....no cardio however I consider all that yard work equal to any time I would have put in on the treadmill .......sweat was pouring out of me faster than I could replenish my liquids......I got in the gym early ....and to my surprise I did manage a couple good increases on the preacher bench and standing pull downs.....I used to think the stack was going to be cool unitl I felt the difference between the pulley machine and the lat pull down machine....so I got the stack on the pulley machine....I really need to find out what this exercise is called....but after doing some tri work @ the lat pull down station that stack is kind of anti climatic.....still a good day.....more later I guess...

Mik
06-24-2003, 06:20 AM
Nice session Wikked. Good work on the PRs. Must have been from playing hookie. Ya lucky bugger. :)

Wikked1
06-24-2003, 08:00 AM
Oh yeah and this is strictly for me....my own props for today being 1 year smoke free....to celebrate......hmmmm.....I have decided a nice evening and dinner out with the wife will be celebration enough. I will soon be on vacation for 2 weeks....which means two things....I'll have my favorite workout partner during that time (Wifey) and my updates here will be sporadic....but don't think for a minute I'll be slacking because it's vacation time....I'll be working out just as hard every day.....and I will post as time permits...

Coke
06-24-2003, 08:11 AM
Props on everything, the workouts is going great. Good to keep at while on vacation - have fun too (no doubt)! ;)

Workhorse
06-24-2003, 08:24 AM
First of all.... :spam:

Now that that's taken care of... great workouts W... things look really good in here. I've been busy as haven't been able to check your journal out till now. Great job... nice strength!! Keep up the awesome work!! :thumbup:

clvmike19
06-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Workout w. the wifey :D

HAVE AT IT!!!!!!

aka23
06-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Ah took the day off work yesterday it was awesome.....near 90...

Yesterday's workout was a good one considering I did a fair amount of yard work before I hit the gym....no cardio however I consider all that yard work equal to any time I would have put in on the treadmill .......sweat was pouring out of me faster than I could replenish my liquids......

Nice work with the preacher curls and pulldowns. When you say "pulley machine" do you mean a cable seated row, as pictured at http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/CBSeatedRow.html ?

If it was 90 degrees outside, then it was no wonder you were sweating so much. I get overheated when doing cardio while it is just 75 degrees. I am glad to live in southern califiornia where the temperature rarely exceeds 80.

Wikked1
06-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Aka: Yeah but I'm sure you recall your days over here in the capitol district......summer is hot N humid....I love those days myself......the pool calls my name!! The exericse link above is what I call a lo row....I will row to my abs...
The exercise I talk about is on a machine you would do cable cross overs with.....I use one side stand with arms extended knees bent slightly and starting from overhead position bring the bar down to just below the waist....I feel it real good in the lats....something my former workout partner showed me....it would almost look like a shoulder exercise BUT it hits the lats hard.....you're pretty much making an arc with your arms from overhead to waist .....additionally it helps flex the midsection....I feel like such a :newbie: trying to describe it.

Mike : Yeah hitting the gym with the wife is cool.....and of course wife workouts are filed under private .....she is my hot chic report :D I did get to workout with her yesterday....I'll be serious and honest it's really nice to have someone to relate to about working out....a great common interest! I highly recommend finding a hot chic who works out....for many obvious reasons!

Workhorse: Dude ! I've done a little reading in your journal....thanks for dropping in....and you ARE a workhorse......damn some BIG DB's you're pressing!!!

CoCoa: Thanks Man! Hopefully the weather will hold out for us......plenty we want to do!

Wikked1
06-25-2003, 03:52 AM
Workout Shoulders & Forearms

SHOULDER PRESS MACHINE
110X10
130X3/110X4
110X3/90X7

FRONT RAISES
35X7/25X4
40X4/30X5
45X3/35X7
25X15

LATERAL RAISES
25X7
30X5/25X2
25X7

DB SHRUGS
125X12
125X10
125X5 (LOOK MA NO STRAPS!)
125X10

UPRIGHT ROWS PULLEY MACHINE
110X12
130X4/110X3
110X7

REVERSE PEC DEC
110X10
140X3/110X2
120X4/110X2/90X2

PALM UP FOREARM CURLS
50X12
50X8

Yeah shoulders went well.......not wild about using the machine I'd rather use DBS....but last night my gym was packed.....all power racks were full and everyone it seems wanted the 35s dbs @ once....I had to jump around and use the pulley machine and come back down to db corner afterwards....it was ridiculous.....damn those 125 dbs are heavy without straps!
I'd rather use the BB for shrugs BUT the DBs were handy and heavy enough......although it doesn't make sense I can do FAR more weight in the bar with the same ROM...OH well..

Wikked1
06-25-2003, 07:29 AM
SO today is supposed to be a day off.....BUT I may go to the gym and get some cardio in....I've been so slacking in that area...but now I am finally getting a decent nights sleep and I'm awake early enough to get on the treadmill .......and well I hit the pool for a real quick dip last night.....74 degrees refreshing! But the sun was down I wasn't about to swim laps with the insect population looking at me the way I look at a freshly grilled steak! So possible cardio today......the tanning booth has paid off too...I have a nice base tan ......and with vacation coming up I can actually wear shorts and look alright in them......still no 6 pack......BF% seems to have stalled out a bit....or it's moving very slowly.....OH well summer is finally here and I'll enjoy it in my new body.....

Franjipani
06-25-2003, 07:52 AM
I wasn't about to swim laps with the insect population looking at me the way I look at a freshly grilled steak!

*lol*

Enjoy that new body...:thumbup:

Mik
06-25-2003, 07:52 AM
You've made some great progress Wikked. You should enjoy the nice weather and the pool!

aka23
06-25-2003, 05:18 PM
Aka: Yeah but I'm sure you recall your days over here in the capitol district......summer is hot N humid....

Yes, I remember that weather well. The hot/sticky weather and the insects are two aspects of the capital district that I never miss.

I also feel like I get a better shoulder workout with dumbells. However, I sometimes like to use machines for variety and high-weight isolation work.

Wikked1
06-26-2003, 07:53 AM
Well yesterday was damn hot.....supposed to be even worse today....OH I should have been on VaCA this week.....but I am counting the hours! Last night I did swim for a little bit...nothing significant though. Alas no cardio :( BUT just for a change (I am SO tired of hot cereal & whey for breakfast I whipped up a protein shake...I am hoping to shake up something in my body here because even though my wife keeps telling me she sees things I am having fits about that little bulge over the waist .....now would anybody else notice this? probably NOT BUT I am highly self critical anyway....never satisfied which brings me to my soap box. .....
OK after nearly a good solid year of this I am unhappy to announce I was wrong..I thought this was going to be easy! I thought I could whip my body up into the likes of shredded muscles...I admit it....I thought I would be able to crank out bulging muscles every where .....well to all you out there who are in that admirable kind of condition......single digit body fat land....you people deserve a lot of credit...I under estimated the sheer amount of truly hard work it takes....I like many other "regular" people thought it would come a lot easier than it has......granted I have made some huge changes...I just wanted to say that for everyone out their who is busting their a$$ in the gym it's all damn hard work and I only now can truly appreciate how really hard it is. This is kind of a bittersweet little "speech"....because yes I am pleased with my progress and at the same time I am also unhappy that I don't have the build that I want.......I will maintain my goals and continue on harder than ever.....but for every single person who hits the weights or whatever they do to stay in shape it's really NOT simple.....preprogrammed into believing you could build a ripped physique in 6 weeks or less perhaps by the countless infomercials? Any way that's my speech for today....I love this board and the support everyone offers....it is great and DAMN I hope to have that 6 pack yet.......I want to post a picture of it before summer's end........determined as ever.

Well enough about that.....today is leg day.....hottest day to date and I'll be kicking it! My weights may stand still but I'm going for intensity ....less rest.

Franjipani
06-26-2003, 08:12 AM
I just wanted to say that for everyone out their who is busting their a$$ in the gym it's all damn hard work and I only now can truly appreciate how really hard it is. This is kind of a bittersweet little "speech"....because yes I am pleased with my progress and at the same time I am also unhappy that I don't have the build that I want.......I will maintain my goals and continue on harder than ever.....

I feel exactly the same way at times. Its important to remember to enjoy the journey though...Persistence & Perserverence pays off in the end:thumbup:.

Congratulations on your progress so far:D

Wikked1
06-27-2003, 06:49 AM
Ahhh now THIS is what I am talking about.....last work day and then vacation......I'll spend the last 1/2 of my day running around doing stupid stuff....like voicemail & email messages. So I worked legs yesterday....man it was muggy & in the 90's ....YEAH sweating like a marathon runner after 2 sets in the power rack!

LEGS
SQUATS in the POWER RACK
225X10
225X10
225X8
225X6

Done with 1 minute recovery these really started to take a toll on me by the 3rd set I could feel my quads quivering badly!
LEG EXTENSIONS
200X12
250X8
250X5
Here again I thought I'd mix it up and blast my quads.....
SEATED LEG CURLS
110X10
130X5/110X2
120X5/100X3
100X5/80X3

SEATED CALF RAISES
115X12
115X7
115X6
115X7

TOE RAISES on LEG PRESS MACHINE
310X15
390X10
430X6

INCLINE ABS

+35X18
+45X12
+45X14

For a brief minute I was feeling queazy on the way to my truck.....being so damn hot out and my fast workout left me drained....and I thought I would lose it BUT after a minute I was OK.....so I went home choked down a chicken breast and hit the pool for 15 minutes.....I managed 3 pool sessions just to get cooled down before bed....
For vacation I promised a friend I would workout legs with him....this guy is hardcore...I've worked Chest & tris with him before and I was really beat the last time .....I don't know if I can keep pace on leg day with him or not ......I'd like to partner up with him but I don't think my strength is really close enough to his for that....but I like his intensity and I wish like hell I had his build! But then again he is 12 years my junior so he's got a little more energy (not to mention testosterone) than I do.....I must be a masochist to actually enjoy this punishment huh? NO ...NO ....NO I just know it does the body good.

Franjipani
06-27-2003, 07:09 AM
But then again he is 12 years my junior so he's got a little more energy (not to mention testosterone) than I do.....I must be a masochist to actually enjoy this punishment huh?

Like THAT is any excuse tuttut

I run rings around women 12yrs my junior.... Step up and rise to the challenge !!! :D.

Ohhh have a wonderful vacation....sounds delicious:cool:

Mik
06-27-2003, 07:11 AM
Nice post Wikked. I know exactly where you're coming from. I've been at it for about 15 months and was hoping to be big and ripped so that people would say, "man, that guy works out". But alas I'm not there yet. As Franji said, enjoy the journey. The fact that this takes so much work and dedication makes the results even sweeter.

Enjoy tha vacation!

aka23
06-27-2003, 07:56 AM
Nice workout. It looks like you made improvements (increased reps or weights) on almost every exercise. I hope you have a great vacation.

clvmike19
06-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Solid workouts buddy! Hella nice squats too. Hows the vacation?

Wikked1
06-27-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

Like THAT is any excuse tuttut

I run rings around women 12yrs my junior.... Step up and rise to the challenge !!! :D.

Ohhh have a wonderful vacation....sounds delicious:cool:
Franjipani You certainly are inspirational! THANKS!
Mik Yeah sounds like you can relate thanks man....I thought I'd be right there with ya' "man that guy works out" :D
Ahhh but you both are SO right....and Frani said it best "to enjoy the journey"....that is something I can truly appreciate now.....12 years ago? NO way! ;)
Aka:Thanks :) I'll be looking for a "beach report" in your journal:D
Mike: Thanks man....vacation starts in ohh about 5 hours and 50 minutes but my mind has been there all week any way....

Wikked1
06-28-2003, 06:48 AM
Workout for June 27th
CHEST & TRIS
HAMMER STRENGTH PRESS
230X2/180X5
230X2/180X5
200X3/180X3
INCLINE DB PRESS
65X6
65X6
65X7
INCLINE DB FLYES
45X10
45X9
CABLE XOVERS
80X10
100X3/80X3
80X8
DIPS
+55X2/BWX5
+45X3/BWX4
+35X5/BWX2
BWX8
PUSHDOWNS
150X8
170X2/150X5
190X/170X1/150X2/130X3

OH TRI EXTENSIONS
110X12
130X4/110X3
110X10
80X8
ALMOST ....ALMOST had 3 full reps on dips.......but only a complete rep counts.....it was damn crowded for a Friday Night.....I was done in just over an hour.....and I thought I was cutting my rests short.....(not short enough?).......OH electronic BF meter (friend insisted I try it) showed me @ a very depressing 14.3% body fat......OH well.....I don't care about readings what I truly care about is the mirror! I must see all my abs!!

Wikked1
06-29-2003, 05:02 AM
June 28 Workout
BACK N Bis
Early AM workout UGH!
WG Pullups
BWX8
+25X3/BWX4
+35X3/BWX3
+35X3/+10X2
BWX6
SEATED ROWS
160X8
180X3/160X4
210X2/180X2/160X2/150X4
PULL DOWNS
150X12
170X6/150X2
190X2/170X2/150X2/130X4
PREACHER CURLS
105X7
115X2/105X3
105X4/95X2
75X7
Damn forearms are SORE from 115!
InCLINE DB curls
40X6
40X3/35X2
35X5/30X4
INCLINE ABS
3X+45X15

aka23
06-29-2003, 07:14 AM
OH electronic BF meter (friend insisted I try it) showed me @ a very depressing 14.3% body fat......OH well.....I don't care about readings what I truly care about is the mirror! I must see all my abs!!

If it was a bioelectircal impedence type test, I would not be too concerned about the results. Most of these measures tend to produce unreliable and inconsistent results since they are greatly influenced by hydration status. For best results one should avoid eating 4-6 hours before the test and avoid working out for 2 hours before the test. I believe consumer reports found the models they tested overestimate body fat in women by an average of 8% and in men by 3%, but some of the companies claim that they are more accurate that skin callipers. I suppose the accuracy depends a lot on the specific device. The hand-held measures tend to have especially poor accuracy, while some of the more expensive scales have better accuracy.

I prefer using skin callipers to track changes since they have more consistent results and are less expensive. I agree that your visual appearance is the most important measure.

Wikked1
07-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks AKA for the vote of confidence!
I did shoulder in the wee hours of the am yesterday.....and spent the day at FOXWOODS....I'm not much of one for casinos I guess.The smoke was killing me!
Shoulders were hum drum nothing new....and this morning was legs.......and then .....hold on to your hats cause yup it was 20 intense minutes on the elliptical of interval training....I cranked it out!

Wikked1
07-04-2003, 02:08 PM
AHHh the vacation is going very well....all the morning workouts however suck.....I haven't felt very strong in the morning typically I feel weak.....and even though I'm trying to get my energy level up....I still have a hard time making improvements.....today is a rest day (due to the gym being closed).....but my back and bicep day was nothing too great just an "ok" session....I did manage and have been managing cardio each day and today I put the drums together and wailed on them for 1-1/2 and now I've got my nice drummer's blisters back.....ouch!
Weather has been great....did some White Water rafting it was OK ....should have booked the INTENSE trip (next time)....diet has been pretty sporadic.....calories are down (a good thing) and I got a good deal on Ripped Fuel so I'm giving those a try.....my appetite has been like the HULK....hungry all the time.....AND finally yesterday was my last dental visit until I get my teeth cleaned WOO-Hoo no more cavities......plenty of fillings but so it goes after years of drinking coke what would you expect? Oh well another full week of vacation....I like the AM workout (gym is empty but I feel like a wimp however the cardio sessions are a bonus)

Coke
07-04-2003, 02:48 PM
Good you are having a nice vacation man, but aren't they over with way too fast though?

I normally go workout in the morning even if my energy level tells me otherwise. There is less riff raff in the mornings but you would be surprised...:)

Franjipani
07-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by CoCoa
I normally go workout in the morning even if my energy level tells me otherwise. There is less riff raff in the mornings but you would be surprised...:)

*Lol*

Have not heard that one before:D.

Sounds like a top-notch holiday though Wikked....you really are getting into all the adventurous stuff which is terrific:thumbup:.

You in a band then?? Or just enjoy jamming hans-solo :D

Mik
07-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Sounds like the vacation is going well. Glad you're enjoying yourself. I can't wait for mine........two more weeks. :D

Wikked1
07-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Well vacation is over ....it was indeed 2 weeks of pure relaxation....I feel "rested" for the first time in months! I never skipped a workout....although it was nothing earth shattering I did cardio every day....and the diet was pretty good...over all....I did have to indulge in some ice cream today.....(sighs).....it was cappucino/chocolate chunks on a waffle cone......the fat was enough for the week I am sure.....but any way vacation was good.....got to hit the gym with my favorite partner the whole time (wifey) :) and we both wish for another 2 weeks....oh well.....not much to report.....but I am going to be actively looking to recruit someone who can help me build that 6 pack I want so bad!!!
More and back to "abnormal" tomorrow.

Mik
07-14-2003, 06:59 AM
Sounds like yo had a great holiday Wikked. And didn't miss a workout, I'm impressed. Glad to have ya back.

Wikked1
07-14-2003, 08:22 AM
Ok yeah Thanks Mik vacation was the BOMB! I needed some rest....now I am back with renewed vigor and determination!
Let's see I didn't make much for gains in the gym....I did cardio every single day.....but due to my diet I think things kind of stood still....my body fat is holding and I'm kind of peeved about this I would have thougth the lack of calories would have more affect than it did.....but then again who knows? Today will be Chest & Tris in the gym and I'm going to HAMMER them!

Wikked1
07-15-2003, 08:02 AM
July 14th Workout CHEST n TRIS
HAMMER STRENGTH PRESS
230X2/180X2 (Damn that was HEAVY)
200X3/180X5
200X2/180X2/110X7
180X5/110X6
INCLINE DB PRESS
65X8
65X6
65X5
INCLINE DB FLYES
45X10
45X10
FLAT DB FLYES
40X7
35X12
DECLINE CABLE FLYES
60X12
80X7
DIPS
BWX9
+45X2/BWX3 (SUCKAGE!):cry:
+45X2/BWX2
+25X4/BW4
BWX6
SEATED DB TRI EXTENSIONS
75X10
80X6
75X5
OH PULLEY TRI EXTENSIONS w/ROPE
110X10
130X4/110X4
120X7/110X2/100X2
INCLINE ABS
+45X18
+45X15
+45X12
Crunches
25X Regular
15X Left Obliques
15X Right Obliques

Wikked1
07-15-2003, 08:30 AM
OK now for some observations....since I haven't documented my workouts during vacation.
The scale has moved down a little bit but not a whole lot maybe 2 or 3 pounds at the most.......the fat calipers still tell me I am ~ 11-12% body fat.....this is depressing I am unsure of how quickly one can drop body fat percentage...considering that I was about 19% at my highest point.....and felt stronger but didn't enjoy the loose feeling around my midsection....that was around 6 months ago. I suppose it is much like everything else......drops quick at first and then getting it where I want it takes a whole lot more effort. My measurements are static......waist.....chest ....arms....legs....which is a positive.....because I'm not losing LBM.......the one area I have to complain about is that pants I bought when I was 202 lbs. don't fit quite so well anymore...I have to cinch up the belt on them.....Yes indeed I would like to be back @ 202 but at around 8% body fat!
So anyway my clothes are pi$$ing me off because they don't fit as well as they did but I look better in the mirror.

And now for a section I will call "EGO ALLEY"....this is where I can relate how I feel about myself.....so it could be good or bad but just some personal experiences I feel like sharing.
I let the wife hi light my brown hair with blonde during vacation....at first it was a little too much.....a bit bright ....but still livable....it has since calmed down and blended in nicely....the wife says the hair reminds her of Patrick Swayze in Point Break....so I'm cool with this and consider a name change to Bodie.:D (It beats my real name).......now along with this came some compliments from the opposite gender........and hell I am only human I like being complimented by the opposite sex!
I have also noticed more people talking to me....or initiating conversations....both genders....and I like this too.....but now I wonder....is it the hair color change? or the body change? I will admit to this much cause I don't want to sound like an ego maniac.....my definition has stepped up big time over the last 8 weeks.....I can see real good seperation in my major muscle groups (ABS being the exception).....and much to my liking the bicep veins are becoming much more prevalent, I look much more "defined" than I ever have and I attribute that to the drop sets and short rest periods and the additional cardio. I'm still unhappy that I don't have that six pack and that although I have to cinch the belt in a notch the tape meaure says the waist is the same......this is measured at the navel and I don't wear my pants there! Yesterday my former workout partner was in the gym....he complimented me.......and the lady who signed me up at the gym a little over a year ago.....(long story) hasn't seen me in the gym since last summer (she works mornings) so during vacation she told my wife that she remembers me distinctly because she signed me up and I was worried about getting fat from quitting smoking......anyway she told my wife that it was an incredible difference....that felt great :).....and yesterday my former workout partner made the remark that he had to get back in the gym with me and that I was looking real good now you would think this would make me happy about myself right? I am to a degree BUT I want to get the 6 pack and this will give me the basic look I am after.....and then I can get big from there.....well I have ran off at the mouth too much here ........I consider this about my 1 year anniversary of the gym.....I started seriously during July last year and here I am.

Coke
07-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Glad to hear you had a fantastic time and are back.
Looks like you have it going on there with the compliments and all. :thumbup:

You had a very good chest and tri session - keep it up man.

Mik
07-15-2003, 12:48 PM
Sounds like you've made some excellent progress. It's frustrating I know. The fat drops off quickly at first then slows. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there. You're obviously doing the right things so keep it up.

aka23
07-15-2003, 01:50 PM
It sounds like the vacation went well. It is great that you are getting noticed and are getting compliments. I agree with Mik that the fat loss slows down as you get leaner. The body fights to maintain a certain set point. If you have been dieting, sometimes a refeed can be beneficial. A change in routine can also help.

Wikked1
07-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Mik,Aka,CoCoa Thanks Guys :)
Workout July 15th (Tuesday)
BACK n BICEPS
WG PULLUPS
BWX8
+25X4/BWX3
+25X3/BWX4
+35X2/+10X4
BWX6
LO ROWS
150X12
180X4/150X4
200X2/180X3/150X4
120X10
T-BAR ROWS
70X15
105X10/70X6
105X8/70X5/45X10
Trying something new with biceps because I feel like they LAG
5 sets of 5 reps and 3 sets of 15 reps
ALT. DB Curls
45X5
40X5
40X2/35X3
35X5
35X3/30X2
BB Curls
85X5
75X5
75X5
75X5
75X5
Preacher Curls (ez bar)
85X10/65X5
85X7/65X8
85X4/65X6/45X5
Pulley Machine Double?/Opposing? Curls
50(per side) X15
60X10/50X5
60X5/50X4/40X3/30X3

Let me just say I KNOW these aren't supposed to be strips sets accordingly BUT a friend of mine is a firm believer in performing strip sets when ever you don't have a partner.....he's built like I wish I was so I believe him.....any way this bicep blaster routine is tough.....it's hard cranking out the sets of 15 when you are used to pounding out less than 8 reps.....I felt like the blood was gone from my hands.....BUT the pump was incredible! the veins were popping out and I was ready to squeal like a little girl (ALRIGHT let's NOT LET THAT get around!!!!) and one more note.....my damn PECS are still sore from all those flyes on chest day......ahhhh but I LOVE it!!!!

Alke
07-16-2003, 10:52 AM
Now Dats a workout :D

Damn bro, looks like you have really turned up the heat since I been gone, awesome intensity factor there. I like your approach on the arms, strip sets can make you feel like the HULK when your done LOL

Mik
07-16-2003, 08:07 PM
Wow, that is some volume for arms. We're gonna have to strip ectx's curl jockey title. :p Seriously, good session bro. Hope the new arm routine works for ya., looks inrtense as hell.

Wikked1
07-17-2003, 04:43 AM
Mik:Nah don't think I'll EVER curl enough weight to be considered a curl Jockey :D maybe a weighted dip junkey.
Seriously I have a couple body parts I feel are lagging and biceps is one of them.
Kenn:Thanks man.....yeah it IS a workout but it's days like those that let me know I worked out.

I have to say for the record that for the time being I enjoy what most consider hi volume training....I need something to keep me from becoming someone who goes to the gym and goes through the motions.....hopefully it's not slowing down my progress.

Yesterday was a rest day SO I went to the gym and did 30 minutes of hi intensity cardio on the elliptical along with some ab work.my diet was down near 2200 cals (not intentional but dinner was put on hold and was none too appetizing when we finally got around to it SO it was Ultramet to the rescue and a Uturn bar. (Split the shake with the wife).

Wikked1
07-17-2003, 06:38 AM
Well I figured I was done with my entry first thing this morning UNTIL my ride into the office this morning. Any way I took some progress pics before I left and emailed them here.....figuring I would post them....trouble is they look like CRAP on this machine......the contrast looks like complete garbage and the details of the pics really suck........that pi$$es me off but I can deal .....THEN back to the ride into work......GGGGGRrrrrr
It's no wonder road rage makes the news all the time....now I'm willing to cut anyone some slack because maybe they are looking for someplace along the road or whatever perhaps being unfamiliar with the area.....but the butthole I got behind this morning had a parade of 12-15 stacked up behind him and he was riding his brakes......we were doing 25 in a 50 ......finally got into town and lo and behold I am right behind the twit at the stop light.....this brightens my morning considerably! (Yeah sarcasm) any way there's like a 30 second delay between the green light and his gas pedal .....then he's crawling through town under 10 mph (how slow I don't know but enough so I could see the arms going up in the windows behind me).....so I lay on the horn and give the universal WTF? greeting once I have this moron's attention in his review.......I'll be damned it's a member of the geriatric squad and he's got this dazed look on his face.....now let me tell you all I can take just about as much annoying behavior as the next guy but this was it for me this morning....I hurled my vehicle to the nearest side street before I really lost my mind......whew...what goes through the minds of people like this? Do you really want a bunch of pi$$ed off people stacked up behind you in traffic? It makes me wonder at what age should retesting become mandatory for driving? Ahhh that's my rant for the day.......I don't feel one iota better but at least I got it off my chest! :evillaugh:

Mik
07-17-2003, 07:30 AM
The pics prolly aren't as bad as you think. Post away! :p

clvmike19
07-17-2003, 07:39 AM
I hate old people driving. I tail them and make them nervous enough to turn off onto a side street.

aka23
07-17-2003, 08:09 AM
It also bothers me when I get stuck behind slower persons while driving, or even while shopping. I often have little free time and do not want to waste it with such futile activities. If the pics look bad on a paticular machine, it might just be related to the video card, monitor, or display settings. If they look bad on multiple machines, you could try using photoediting software. The program that came with my digital camera has an "autofix" fuction that adjust brightness, contrast, etc.

Wikked1
07-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Mik:Alright we'll see what it looks like when I submit this one.....
Mike,Aka: Yeah guys I agree ....it's a matter of being pressed for time and not wanting to be in the office any earlier than I have to so it tends to wind me up in the morning.....and it always SEEMS like it happens when you have no spare time.....

About this pic.....I'm disappointed the details lack and the color appears to suffer I MAY lose my nerve and dump it and worse yet the self timer always seems to be a real PITA and goes off before I can get myself in a decent pose and angle.....and besides that I just can't bring myself to do the poses and flexes anywhere but in the privacy of my bathroom mirror. Weird huh? The one thing I was hoping to capture was the great job the wife did on my hair....the blonde hi lights thing and it really doesn't show up well....

Mik
07-17-2003, 10:08 AM
I think the pic looks good man. You've really leaned out alot since the last pics I saw. Legs are looking solid bro and the delts seemed to have improved. I agree the detail isn't great but you can def. see the progress. Good job mate!

Wikked1
07-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Mik: Thanks for the positive feedback ......much appreciated.....the lack of detail kills me if I could get away with a mirror shot or something just to show the cuts........that's what drives me nut.....the wife would not work the camera she'd be too busy LHFAO at me!! Then I'd have jiggly pix!

Mik
07-17-2003, 10:44 AM
LMAO at juggly pics. Don't worry, I'm the same way. I have to try to take my own as well and they never turn out like you hope.

Coke
07-17-2003, 10:48 AM
Everyone is more self conscious when it comes to pics online (or anywhere for that matter)...so don't think much of it - you look good :)

Wikked1
07-17-2003, 11:07 AM
Mik,CoCoa: Both you guys are great. I agree CoCoa it is a tense moment when you hit the "submit" button and don't edit or crop the head out....but you only go around once and it's surely a lot better than any picture I could have taken last year at this time!!Thanks Again guys! :)

WillKuenzel
07-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Looking pretty lean man. Legs have some good defintion and you have a good symmetrical shape. Definitely some nice work! :thumbup:

Are those wood tv trays behind you there?

aka23
07-17-2003, 11:38 AM
I agree with the others that the pictures look nice, and your legs have especially good muscle tone.

Wikked1
07-17-2003, 12:01 PM
HomeYield: Nice observation they are indeed wood TV trays. Thanks.
Aka:Thanks man I appreciate! It but still wishing I had a more chiseled looking midsection.

WillKuenzel
07-17-2003, 12:03 PM
I saw them because my girlfriend has some just like them and I almost bought the same ones. :)

Now weren't you saying today was a leg day?

Wikked1
07-17-2003, 12:36 PM
They are definitely some solid units. Worth the XTra bucks around my place....least the dog can't knock them over by swiping them with his tail . DAMN I ALMOST wish today was leg day but tomorrow is leg day....otherwise I'd have Shoulders followed by Chest which for me results in a pretty crappy Chest day. I like Legs on fridays any way the gym is usually empty and I can get to what I need without having to wait.....patience is not one of my virtues.I will have to re-read your journal for friday along with YoBrickWalls you guys both kick a$$ on leg day!

Wikked1
07-18-2003, 07:52 AM
July 17th SHOULDERS
SEATED MIL PRESS MACHINE
WarmupX12
110X4/90X4
130X2/110X2/90X2
120X4/100X4
FINALLY got 130 on this thing for more than 1 rep!
FRONT RAISES
40X3/35X4/30X3
45X2/40X3/35X2/30X4/25X2/20X2
40X4/35X3/30X2/25X2/20X5
Since I SUCK at these I have decided I would work the rack down.
LAT RAISES
30X5
25X8
20X6
(More of these @ the pulley machine different motion though)
SHRUGS
(For some reason my right wrist was bothering me.....coem to find out 1/2 the back of my glove was wadded up behind the wrist wrap portion of my glove I discovered this after set #1)
225X11
315X6 (I also changed grip on these I forget what they call it but one palm facing me and the other away)
*** REMOVED WRIST STRAPS***
315X4 (Grip) BUT my forearms FELT it
225X12
225X7
135X15
Yeah a lot of sets but the limiting factor was GRIP not trap fatigue.....anyway I especially like beating the hell out of my traps.
UPRIGHT ROWS WIDE GRIP
(Done on Pulley Machine)
120X10
140X10
150X4/130X4
120X6 (Narrow grip)
THIS next one I'm not sure what you would call it but it's one arm across the body and done with a pulley where you pull diagonally and extend your arm like you are BACKHANDING someone much taller than yourself....and that's how I perform the exercise.....exploding at the bottom with maximum speed and on the negative a very slow and deliberate motion stressing my shoulder....I used to HATE this BUT I almost feel like I perfrom this exercise with a lot of aggression and I enjoy those types of exercises....the ones that make you grit your teeth!
I'll call it the XBody Backhand
30X8
40X8
50X6/30X4
REVERSE PEC DEC
120X11
140X2/130X2/110X3
130X4/110X3
120X9
ABS Decline REVERSE Crunches
BWX23
BWX18
BWX7
I felt every single one of these!
Standard Crunches on the floor
BWX25
BWX12
BWX15

Yeah it looks like a monsterous workout when I look at it but I'm still done in just around 70 minutes. WHY? HOW? I have been making an attempt to keep my rest periods to less than a minute.....so my reps tend to fall off quick once the muscle is whipped but in summary I like working shoulders more than I used to....mainly because I can see the results there best when I am working them....it motivates me and I've almost always dedicated a workout to shoulders.....so in my mind for now it reinforces the theory that if you beat up on them enough they will react!
ALSO 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning! (THANKS YoBrickWall)....stepping up the cardio once again after some quick info from YBW....

cphafner
07-18-2003, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE]
UPRIGHT ROWS WIDE GRIP
(Done on Pulley Machine)

150X4/130X4

thats some stong uproght rows. Is the pulley machine a smith machine?

Wikked1
07-18-2003, 09:34 AM
The weight on this pulley machine is FUBAR I think .....great for your ego UNLESS you attempt same with free weights....not sure why but the same thing in free weights I'm 110 lbs. MAX....wide grip does make a difference for me though.....easier on the wrists....thanks for dropping in.

aka23
07-18-2003, 09:59 AM
Wow. That is an impressive workout, with a lot of volume. You did more sets in a single workout than I do in two workouts.

Coke
07-18-2003, 02:24 PM
You were like a fireball yesterday on your shoulder session...good deal man...very good ;)

Wikked1
07-21-2003, 04:19 AM
Oh man HOW did I forget to post my LEG day??

(Friday July 18)
SQUATS
WarmupX10
225X7
225X6
275X2/225X4
135X10
I felt weak the whole time doing these...like when I hit my last rep in the set I was cooked....but the rep before didn't give me that indication.
LEG PRESSES
Normally I won't do these together BUT change is good
Warmup and I have no idea what the sled weighs so it's just what I put on for weights
WarmupX12
400X10
400X10
400X10
The key to these for me is to always keep the legs moving no locking out anywhere......doesn't sound like much but 3 sets go real fast like that. I was winded.
LEG CURLS
110X9
130X3/110X2
120X5/100X3/80X3
Seated LEG EXTENSIONS
210X9
250X7
***275X5/250X3***
250 is the rack but I added a db to it :D
250X6
This kicked my but ....gives me the really bad rubber legs!
SEATED CALF RAISES
155X10
155X7
155X7
155X5/110X6
It's MOnday morning and I still feel these and the workout doesn't look that bad.....I guess my body adapted quickly to cardio after leg day (I wasn't nearly as sore)

Wikked1
07-21-2003, 06:36 AM
JULY 19TH
CHEST & TRIS & ABS
HAMMER STRENGTH PRESS
WARMUPX12
WARMUPX10
200X3/180X4
220X2/200X1/180X1
180X5/130X7
INCLINE DB
70X6
70X6
70X4/65X2

Pumped about incline after a so-so flat!
70's went up so easy I regretted not trying 75's!
FLAT DB FLYES
45X5/40X4
45X4/40X3
INCLINE DB FLYES
45X6/40X4
50X5/45X3
DIPS
+35X3/+10X2/BWX2
+45X2/+20X2/BW3
+55X1/+45X1/+35X1/BWX1
BWX5
Progress here is really slowing down......hhhmmm
Seated OH EXT.
These were NO FUN on a flat bench I almost went ass over bamboX on my 2nd set and swithed to incline bench cause some body was just stuck in the upright !
80X5
80X1 (ooopsss!!! let's find us a better apparatus else this will be embarrassing!)
75X6 (INCLINE)
75X5
VBAR Tri Press
150X8
Bothered my wrist Switched to
REVERSE CURLS on PULLEY Machine
110X10
130X4/120X3
120X7
OH ROPS TRI EXTENSIONS
120X12
140X4/130X4
120X10
INCLINE REVRESE CRUNCHES
BWX18
BWX12
BWX10
Crunches
30 Minutes of Cardio on Elliptical!
SUNDAY DAY off!!!! NO CARDIO EXCEPT the POOL (15 mins maX)
And some natural suntanning!

Wikked1
07-21-2003, 06:47 AM
Cocoa,Aka:Feeling like I don't want to go through the motions when I hit the gym SO if I do more volume I force myself to be MORE intense....I don't ever want to reach the pint where I walk in and do three sets of whatever and go home.....I feel like I always have to give it my all....except I can't get to the losing my lunch point of intensity (it would be pretty ugly in a public gym) :evillaugh Thanks guys! I am currently enjoying the volume AND the SCALE finally moved down a bit (not that I was looking for this ...it's a sad part of reality that i must drop weight if I am to get the 6 pack)....I'm willing to close my eyes to it as long as it doesn't dip below 180........if I get there and still no 6 pack I will have to reevaluate and see what options I have.....but as long as the inches I fought so hard for stay reasonable I'll keep hammering away!

Alke
07-21-2003, 04:39 PM
hey wiked, lookin fierce on the workouts :evillaugh

Nice job on the 70's for incline press! you is makin great progress bro'

So I take it your six pack is high on your list of goals right now?

aka23
07-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Those leg extensions are impressive. I also get a "rubber leg" feeling after doing them (I usually do them after leg press).

Regarding the sixpack, a number of studies suggest that cardio better targets subcutaneous abdominal fat, while caloric balance better targets visceral fat (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9432085&dopt=Abstract, http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/sub.htm, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?holding=npg&cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10896648&dopt=Abstract). =

Wikked1
07-22-2003, 04:51 AM
Kenn:Thanks Bro yeah the 6 pack is my ultimate goal.
Aka:Thanks to you as well your input is always helpful. I have kicked myself in the butt and decided no matter how much I hate it that first thing in the AM I am doing cardio 4 days a week. And on Saturdays whiel I am at the gym I will do cardio then as well......this is about the only thing I CAN change that seems to make any real difference.

SO I am up and wide awake after 25 minutes of moderate cardio (I read somewhere that 3 MPH is optimum speed for fat burning and first thing in the AM on an empty stomach.....well I had to sip a little coffee with the wife and take the multivitamins & glucosamine.

I worked back & arms yesterday I'll post that later.....my damn gym was so packed I was a little irritated by the time I got home....I had to wait for everything and I couldn't even improvise and move exercise orders or anything.....I don't know why it was so busy but it was. One thing about getting irritated it helps bring out the intensity level......

Wikked1
07-22-2003, 07:02 AM
WG PULLUPS
+25X4/BWX4
+35X3/BWX2
+35X4/+10X3/BWX2
BWX5
(Thanks to Mik I STILL feel like a wimp when I do these) I'm going to try to work for sets of 8 next time around.....(less messing around with dropping the belt off and stuff) SO I will go with +25/+10/BW sets

SEATED LO ROW
150X12
180X3/150X5
210X2/180X3/150X3
150X9

STRAIGHT ARM PULLDOWN
150X14
180X4/170X4
190X3/170X2/150X2/130X2/100X4
(yes 190 is the stack but this is the pulley machine and here the weight looks impressive BUT is really deceiving for the same exercise on the Lat Pull Down Machine would be about 60%) and besides I wanted to do the TBAR row BUT my gym was so packed I had to make do with what was open. I prefer the TBAR row to this exercise for the back I can feel it hitting my back much faster!

BICEP BLASTER ROUTINE (5X5 & 3X15)
ALTERNATING DB CURLS
35X5
35X5
40X4/35X1
40X3/35X2
40X4/35X1

BB CURLS
85X5
75X5
75X5
75X4/65X1
65X5

PREACHER CURLS
WAITED forever for this bench so I did
Straight bar X15
85X12/65X3
85X7/65X6/55X2
75X5/65X5/45X5
This is starting to bother my forearms again but I did notice if I adjust the preacher up higher I could easily do more weight/reps.....and get a better pump......(damn long arms any way!) I just need to adjust this thing better....it may look awkward but it makes a big difference to me.

OPPOSING CABLE DOUBLE BICEPS CURLS
30X13/20X2
40X9/30X4/20X2
50X8/40X5/30X1/20X1

Arms were ready to fall off.......and I was supposed to do ABS BUT the I was in the gym so long I was ready to go home....I hate waiting around in between exercises and I really hate it when everything I want is being used.......I don't know what caused the sudden influx of 5:00 workout people but I hope it ends soon!
On another note I am having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about my approach here.......#1 goal is a six pack but at what expense? I haven't lost a lot of size but then again I didn't have much to lose anyway.....I fought hard to get to 202.....now I am wondering if I will end up in this stupid cycle of get big and sloppy and then lose it all to look cut. Oh well just some random thoughts.

clvmike19
07-22-2003, 09:44 AM
I havent been in here for along time! Looks like some ace progress buddy! Keep workin for that six pack.

aka23
07-22-2003, 10:06 AM
(I read somewhere that 3 MPH is optimum speed for fat burning and first thing in the AM on an empty stomach.....well I had to sip a little coffee with the wife and take the multivitamins & glucosamine.

It depends on your physcial condition. As intensity decreases, a larger portion of fuel comes from fat. As intensity increases, calories are burned at a faster rate, so more total fat calories may be burned. Fat tends to be burned at the highest rate around 65-80% MHR, depending on many factors including previous training, genetics, and fuel stores.

For example walking a mile at 40% MHR would probably burn more fat than jogging a mile at 75% MHR. But walking 20 minutes at 40% MHR would probably burn less fat than jogging 20 minutes at 75% MHR, since more distance is covered in the jogging and more total calories are burned. This graph at http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/images/fat_zone.gif displays data from a study, which found that the highest rate of fat burning occurred at 74%MHR (64% VO2Max).

Increasing % MHR beyond this level will likely result in less fat being burned during the activity, but more fat being burned afterwards and more total subcutaneous fat being lost. The study described at http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8028502&dopt=Abstract found that an HIIT type approach resulted in 3x more subcutaneous fat loss than a similar endurance training approach at 60-80%MHR.

Note that training in the morning on an empty stomach increases the risk of muscle catabolism since liver glycogen stores are low after an overnight fast. It may also decrease endurance so you feel fatigued earlier.

clvmike19
07-22-2003, 10:09 AM
Math makes me sad.........

Y2A
07-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by clvmike19
Math makes me sad.........

Numbers are good, especially hot chick numbers that start with 305, 786, or 954 :D

Wikked,
Keep up the good work man. HIIT should be the most fat-burning and muscle sparing of any cardio routine. Aka has a good approach, where he mixes in both... but nobody can train like aka (that bastard... I mean that in a good way) :)

Wikked1
07-23-2003, 04:42 AM
Aka: I read those link about the cardio......trouble is those studies were all women.....so what are you trying to say dude? Kidding LMFAO.....I want to aks more about cardio since I regard your knowledge as DAMN good. Are you saying that in your opinion I am performiong cardio at the worst possible time (first thing in the AM on an empty stomach?)

Wikked1
07-23-2003, 05:06 AM
SEATED MIL PRESS MACHINE
*130X2/110X3*
110X4/90X4
110X4/90X3/70X4
I think I finally have the form on this thing down .....that first rep sucks but I almost had 3 @ 130

FRONT RAISES
35X5/30X4
40X3/35X4
45X2/40X2/35X2/30X2/25X2/20X4
These burn like a real B*tch and I am thinking of switching to lo pulley machine for a while (IF the damn thing is open).
LAT RAISES
25X6
30X2/25X3/20X2
30X2/25X2/20X2/15X2
WHY do I suck at these so bad? Because I put my arms WAY out there straight....I don't need mounds of weight and it really causes a meltdown in the shoulders....but when I look at the weight some others are doing....well......(repeats in head..."it's not about the weights" 3 times)
UPRIGHT ROWS (LO PULLEY) WIDE GRIP
130X9
*150X6/130X3*
140X5/120X4
120X8
These really use to bother my wrists but switching to a wider grip helps tremendously and I don't mind doing them every time now.
BB SHRUGS
w/wrist straps
225X15
315X7
315X6
225X12
NO STRAPS
225X7
Damn I know some don't use straps but w/out them my traps would suck worse than they do....I wanted to do some static BB holds but it gto damn busy in DB corner so I said screw it.
REVERSE PEC DEC
150XNOPE
140X2/130X2
120X5/100X3
110X6/100X2/100X2/80X2
My whole damn body trembles on these by the 2nd set and sweat? Yeah it is dripping by now but it seems to pour out of me when I do these!
INCLINE WEIGHTED CRUNCHES
(bigger incline today)
+35X17
+3512
+35X8
DECLINE REVERSE CRUNCHES
BWX13
BWX8
BWX8
I really wish we had a roman chair or something....and I know I'll get crucified if I post something that asks to target the lower abdominals....but standard crunches don't seem to get the lower abs so much......

AND 25 minutes of cardio this morning 3.0 MPH for 15 minutes 4.8 MPH for 5 Minutes and then back to 3.0 MPH so I could suck wind!
Usually I watch the morning news but I wanted motivation this morning so I was cranking tunes on the MP3 player while on the treadmill.
Today will be an off day for weights so I wil perform 30 more minutes of cardio on the elliptical tonight.........damn I hate cardio!

Coke
07-23-2003, 05:40 AM
Exceptional shoulder day my friend, don't even sweat the laterals... the 30's for dbls are a great start :)

You are really doing great with everything - your last few sessions have been ace no doubt, keep it up

:thumbup:
You (we) are almost at a completely new level! ;)

Wikked1
07-23-2003, 09:30 AM
CoCoa thanks for the vote of confidence your input in my journal is always appreciated.

Well now for some random thoughts....I've probably read more crap about training and over training !! god knows how many different principles....a lot of it contradictory in nature and this is ALWAYS FRUSTRATING! It's hard to know who's right and who's wrong....I guess it's kind of like the chicken or the egg thing....you pick a side and hope like hell you made the right choice......
I love doing the hi volume stuff......I really do BUT a couple things come to my mind......I'm no longer a beginner so not just anything is going to work for me......I don't want to be stagnant either....but at the same time I am cutting because I cannot tolerate the loose feeling around my midsection.....most others in my condition would probably continue to add weight, I just can't look at myself and be happy with it when I am bigger but sloppy...I'd much rather be lean and tight......I'd be damn happy with a fitness model type of build.....yes I want to be big.....but big is relative....there will always be someone bigger....and there are plenty of guys who look "big" in my gym but there are very few who are big AND cut......so I guess I want the best of both worlds....but I'd settle for the cut part first and then work on the big....I'm just afraid that I'll go in circles ....ho-hum....
So I am contemplating change.........a change that gives me more rest......never working weights two days in a row.....one day on and then a day of cardio only....then again......this would mean a week would need to be 8 days to workout right but who says it has to fit into a week anyway??.....can I even hope to grow at all during this phase? I don't think so because my calories are not above maint. level but I hate like hell to lose anything....so I am trying to stay within 300 cals of maint. and pump up the cardio.....did I mention that I HAET cardio?? Oh well just some random babblings of indecisiveness.......I guess in reality maybe it works like this.....how fast does your body recover from a cut??......there should be some set rules that can help guide you but it's like everything else my body is unique to me and what works for me probably won't for you....figures doesn't it?? One last random thought it is very easy to see why some people contemplate the use of synthetic hormones....(that thought has crossed my mind)....Now where did I put the operating instructions that came with this body anyway?!!!!

WillKuenzel
07-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Don't worry about the lat raises. I barely use that much to do them and my shoulders are one of my stronger muscle groups. Quality not quanity. :)

I really like high volume training. The more the better. I love spending my time in the gym. I'm comtemplating incorporating weight training style cardio into my routine (and not in place of either). Total body movements like the clean and jerk could be a good style of HIIT that involves the muscles and can give you quite a cardiovascular workout.

Something I've done is break everything down so that I can train all the time. :)

Day 1 = chest
Day 2 = back
Day 3 = quads
Day 4 = calves
Day 5 = shoulders
Day 6 = hams
Day 7 = rest

Now I'm considering tossing some form of cardio in on days 4 and 5/6 (not sure which yet). I know it seems like a lot but if I'm eating enough then it doesn't seem to have adversely affected me (yet). My lower back might get too much work but its become pretty adapted to heavier volume training and my rhomboids have been a little bit more sore than normal, but for the past 2 weeks I've loved every minute of it.

You just have to find something in it that you really enjoy. I love weights and my life pretty much revolves around them. I HATE cardio with an undying passion, but that's cardio in the sense of running or cycling on stationary stuff in the gym. Playing soccer, basketball, muay thai... none of that is cardio to me ;), but it gets the same effect.

I think I tend to eat right around maintenance. Carbs are moderate. I probably have around 1.2 - 1.5g of protien/lb of bodyweight. Toss in my FOC, some olive oil and then the rest comes from carbs (mostly complex). This has been working for me as I can see some results. Strength is still going up but the bodyweight (hopefully all bf%) has gone down. I believe its possible but you have find something that, most importantly, you enjoy. From there you can make anything work.

We all go through those cycles. You'll find the path just take your time and make sure to have some fun along the way. :)

clvmike19
07-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Wikked I do the lift day/rest day week and it has worked pretty well for me.

Alke
07-23-2003, 10:58 AM
hey wikked, I went through the same dilemmas as you with routines and cutting or bulking, cutting AND bulking, too many calories, too few - GAWD there is so many ways to do things. I think your doing great!
For the cutting bulking dilemma, it is easier to get your brain around if you get picks of each and realize that that its one or the otrher. P{ictures really help, for myself I know when I am cutting I will lose lose LBM and possible size - but thats not a big deal cause I got pics of what a bulk looks like.

When I am bulking and feel like I am getting fat, then I look at the pics and think - okay, time to cut. Its a cycle and as soon as you realize its one or the other and train for it, then results come faster than trying to hold onto the idea that you can do both.

As far as exercises, that is always gonna blow your mind as too the variety and scheme of reps - the important thing is 1) to pick exercises you like 2) keep doing them for at least three months before making a desicion to switch exercises.

For myself I do switch my exercises - but I do it according to a plan that I adhere to strictly and keep detailed accounts of reps and sets in my journal. without that, my switching routine would probably have had no effect on my body. A lot of people just try diferent exercises with no rhyme or reason and expect results.

In my opinion, I think you have done a great job of progressing from the first pages in your jounal to what you have currently going on in your workouts. If you remember I told you that I thought you should tweak your routines a bit because it was my opinion you were ready for a change. From what I see going on now, all I can say is GREAT JOB and ignore the voices in your head,

I hear them too and they can confuse the hell out of you if you listen to them -- thats why I write stuff down to use as cannon fodder against the random thoughts that I should be doing this or that or eat this instead. When I get doubts or contradicting thoughts, I just look at my notes or pictures and say -- see, this works now shut up! LOL

uhm.....I know that was a lot of information, gues I just got on a roll.