PDA

View Full Version : First Timer Here With Some Diet Questions

robinhood
05-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Hello all,
I just realized a few days ago that my lifestyle is pretty bad. In terms of diet I guess. I spend most of the week eating pretty decent: FF cottage cheese, 93-7 ground beef, boneless skinless chicken, brown rice, and tuna are regular parts of my diet. However, I'm a college student so once Thursdays roll around, my diet usually consists of beer and taco bell. Then comes Monday and I look at myself in the mirror and well, I know I could stand to lose some pounds. So now I'm comin to you guys for some help & guidance.

I'm a pretty big guy, 6'2" and about 220-225 lbs. I played sports in high school and did some regular weight training then but once in college I injured my knee and havent been able to be as active as I would like since then. Currently, I jog in the evenings and spend a lot of time jumping rope but I would like to get into the gym and get toned up. Im not looking to get huge or anything, basically I want to lose some weight and get myself to a level of comfort with myself.

So what I'm asking is, what kind of a diet would you guys recommend I start with if I'm trying to cut pounds? Obviously the beer and Taco Bell need to take a hike :)

bradley
05-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) 25-30% of daily calories should come from fat (Essential fatty
acids making up most of this total)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, hemp oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly decrease cals in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 3000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to decrease cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2700 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have lost. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

As far as routines go you might want to check out one of the WBB routines on the main page. The following site has a list of exercise illustrations that might be helpful as well www.exrx.net

There is a lot of information in previous threads as well. Run some searches and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

Welcome to WBB:)

Ironman8
05-12-2003, 06:01 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368&highlight=grocery+list

Here a good list of what foods to buy (what people here usually buy).

Welcome to the board and good luck with your goals!

SoulOfKoRea
05-12-2003, 08:52 PM
welcome, you have what it takes already, a good attitude. diet is 2nd to that, well not really...

steveo
05-13-2003, 01:59 AM
Congrats on your choice to change your life style. Stick around and read I guarantee you will learn a lot here. We have a lot of smart people posting here. Right of the bat, Give yourself a goal and write down a reward if you reach your goal. I learned to use this to keep me from giving up.

There isn't much to say, Bradley said it all.

bradley
05-13-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by steveo
Right of the bat, Give yourself a goal and write down a reward if you reach your goal. I learned to use this to keep me from giving up.

I think Steveo brings up a good point. Writing down your goals and taking progress pictures are a great motivating tool. Sometimes seeing your goals in front of you is a lot more motivating than just knowing what you want. It seems more tangible IMO. Another great motivating tool is a journal of some sort to track your progress. This will also help in showing what has been working and what hasn't over the course of your cut.

Ironman8
05-13-2003, 07:10 AM
Another great motivator is posting at this board ;)

Berserker
05-13-2003, 10:04 AM
I gained 40lbs while in college. Some of its the drinking, but alot is the food you eat while drinking. I would have big meals after the bar. Which is great for preventing hang overs but not good for the gut. My first suggestion is try to eat decent while drinking. No pizza, ramen noodles, fast food ect.
If your really drunk eat something before bed. Also avoid the snacks while drinking, chips ect..
In opinion you can more weight from the food you eat while drinking then then drinking
Also cut back on the wash if you like mixies.