PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to loose weight

Mike03
05-13-2003, 11:45 AM
Hello all! Im 5'9 and about 185lbs, and im tired of being chunky! Question is, what kinda diet should i go on to loose the weight? Ive been playing alot of basketball lately and im going to start running this week to help with the weight loss but im confused on what i should be eating. I plan on lifting weights after i start to see some progress in my weight loss. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

-Mike

bryancore
05-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Read the article on the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet. You can lose body fat really quickly if your are strict on it. Good luck man.

Mike03
05-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Where is that article located?

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 12:07 PM
im not exactly sure the link for the article, but its on this site somewhere. also, www.c-k-d.com is a good site for info for the CKD diet.

Mike03
05-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Thats an interesting diet to say the least. Ive never heard of a diet like that, but im going to give it a shot. Also have any of you tried that diet and what kinda meal plan did you apply to your diet for desired effects?

bryancore
05-13-2003, 12:22 PM
I am on this diet right now, and i went from 175 to 159 in 11/2-2 months. Its very good for quick results, and carb load days keep you on track.

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 12:23 PM
you dont HAVE to do that diet. it takes a lot of dedication (especially to stay under 20g of carbs everyday, except for refeeds)

have you tried just simply cutting your calories a bit?
like try to find your maintenence caloric amount, and then lower it by a bit, until you are losing a pound or so a week. also, if you just try cutting calories, try to get at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, along with some healthy EFA's and low-GI complex carbs.

Mike03
05-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Maybe ill try cutting my calories but what about fat intake should i cut that or mainly stick to lowering my calories? Remember im completely new to this and looking for some direction here! Thanks!

bradley
05-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Mike03
Maybe ill try cutting my calories but what about fat intake should i cut that or mainly stick to lowering my calories? Remember im completely new to this and looking for some direction here! Thanks!

I would recommend a more moderate approach rather than just jumping into a CKD. Here is some info I posted a couple of threads down:

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) 25-30% of daily calories should come from fat (Essential fatty
acids making up most of this total)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, hemp oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly decrease cals in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 3000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to decrease cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2700 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have lost. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

I plan on lifting weights after i start to see some progress in my weight loss.

Go ahead and start your weight program. It will help tremendously in changing your overall bodycomposition. There are some routines on the WBB main page that would be good to try out IMO.

There are also plenty of articles there as well that contain a lot of valuable information.

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 04:21 PM
:withstupi

Ironman8
05-13-2003, 05:51 PM
A good site to keep track of your calories would be fitday.com (www.fitday.com)