PDA

View Full Version : For the Beginner....

BobbyRS
05-14-2003, 08:31 AM
I just wanted to list some steps I took to get my body used to the food changes back when I first change my eating lifestyle. I hope this helps:

What I found helped me was that I did some basic changes in my diet and got used to them over a little time.

1. I did the obvious things first like, cutting out fried, greasy foods, fast food, and stuff like that. It was definitely a hard habit to break. It drives your mind and taste buds crazy. I did this for a while. Because it was my first step toward losing weight, it was hard to get used to but it does come in time.

2. The next step I took was with replacing foods like milk, cheese, condiments, etc.. with the lower fat or fat free type. You do have to watch out for some of these types of foods because many times it says "reduced fat", but it is only like a gram or 2 lower. Lowing it a gram or 2 on an already high fat food to begin with doesn't really count, so it doesn't help. You’re better off getting rid of those types of foods all together. Another thing you have to watch for is with the food that is lower in fat or doesn't contain any. Sometimes they like to increase the amount of carbs the food contains to make up for the lost flavor of cutting the fat.

3. After learning to eat lower fat or fat free foods and to get used to them (body and taste), I began cutting food that was high in carbs (sugar, high GI). I didn't really get rid of the carbs all together, but just replaced them with quality carbs (low GI) like fruits and veggies. This, also, took some getting used to, but I did sort of enjoy it because fruits and veggies always tasted good to me anyway.

4. Through all of these steps, in the mean time, I also began making sure I began eating more protein rich foods. Even though I did this to begin with, to an extent, because of training, it wasn't until I began making changes and adjustment to the rest of my diet that I began to see my workout and body flourish.

Once I got used to all of these changes I then began getting into counting calories, eating EFA's, and just eating much cleaner altogether. As time passes, you will have plenty of time to fine tune even more. Timing is the key; Timing of the right nutrients and food with the right cardio and weight lifting. How much you eat is important, but it is just as important to know what to eat and when to eat it. This is crucial to long-term success!

Ironman8
05-14-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by BobbyRS
3. After learning to eat lower fat or fat free foods and to get used to them (body and taste).

This a big no-no tuttut

BobbyRS
05-15-2003, 06:27 AM
This a big no-no

How ya doin' Ironman? Sorry, but I don't quit follow you....

GhettoSmurf
05-15-2003, 06:36 AM
well, you dont necessarily want to cut out all fat from your diet (which i dont think you ment). I think a better way to have put it would be to have have said somthing like "learn to replace foods high in saturated and trans-fatty acids like peanut butter, fried food, etc. in exchange for goods containing "good" fats like natural peanut butter, flaxseed oil, fish oils, avacados, etc." ;)

but nice job with the tips.

i definitly agree that cutting out things like fast-food and pop are 2 really good things to do. just doing that can make a HUGE difference.

same with tip #2, just because it says "fat-free" or "low-fat" doesnt mean it isnt "sugar-free". good tip - learning to read nutrition labels.

BobbyRS
05-15-2003, 06:43 AM
That is exactly what I meant:). I am glad it was pointed out because I didn't want the wrong message getting relayed. Mostly what I meant were replacing foods like, cheese, milk, mayo with the fat free kind and anything high in sat fat reduced, if reduced was enough. I am a big on taking your EFA’s. Whether you are bulking or cutting, they are a necessity.

Yes, pop especially. That can make a huge difference. I know it did with me. I never really ate that much fast food to begin with, but I know if I did, it would of been a big difference too.

GhettoSmurf
05-15-2003, 06:55 AM
when i was 240 pounds @ about 5'11 @ age 15 i had about 3-5 pops a day, and usually after my baseball games (i was big but athletic), i would make the mistake of going to McDonalds after every baseball game for dinner and ordering 2 McChicken sandwhichs, Super-sized fries, and a Large choc. Shake.

..... wow, i was a moron

but the times have changed ;)

BobbyRS
05-15-2003, 07:08 AM
I can relate. About 4 years ago, I was around 215-220 and 6'1. I would drink at least a 6 pack of regular pop a day. I remember making the switch over to diet and I couldn't believe the change it made. I was cutting so much calories from those excess carbs it was unreal. It gives me a boost now to see someone in the same situation as I was then. I get to thinking about how far I have come and how much I have changed. It really is a good motivator:).

I have heard you mention baseball a few times. I also remember (I think) you saying you are 15??? I am a big baseball fan. Played it all through high school and college. Once in high school, I was even invited to the Florida Marlins training camp so they could check me out. You know, back when they were just beginning to be added as an expansion team. Unfortunately, it wasn't a paid trip:( and I or my family didn't have the cash to send me. Oh, well. That moment always haunts me. I will never know if I even had a chance with it. Playing pro ball has always been my dream. To this day, I get upset to think about it. You know.... the "what might have been" story:) But now, I think about my wife and son, and can't imagine not having them. I wouldn't change it for the world. Anyways, sorry to rant. :)

Ironman8
05-15-2003, 07:11 AM
LOL! Sorry I didn't understand whay you meant Bobby. I thought you said you'll get better results with a fat free diet :D

BobbyRS
05-15-2003, 07:13 AM
:) That's okay man. It still brought it out a little for clarification.

bradley
05-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by BobbyRS
That is exactly what I meant:). I am glad it was pointed out because I didn't want the wrong message getting relayed. Mostly what I meant were replacing foods like, cheese, milk, mayo with the fat free kind and anything high in sat fat reduced, if reduced was enough. I am a big on taking your EFA’s. Whether you are bulking or cutting, they are a necessity.

Mayo is not necessarily a bad source of fat IMO. Sure there are better sources out there but just making the blanket statement to cut out mayo?? I don't really see any reason to. You can get mayo made with different types of oils as well, which can help.

BobbyRS
05-15-2003, 08:26 AM
I never said cut out mayo, just replacing it with a lower fat or fat free type. Or in your case, a different oil type.

bradley
05-15-2003, 08:48 AM
originally posted by BobbyRS
Mostly what I meant were replacing foods like, cheese, milk, mayo with the fat free kind and anything high in sat fat reduced, if reduced was enough.

Well basically I disagree with replacing it with any low fat or fat free mayo. Which is what the above statement implies. The changing of the type of oil used would still mean it is full fat mayo, so I do not see how you meant this with the above statement.

BTW mayo is not high in saturated fat.

BobbyRS
05-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Well basically I disagree with replacing it with any low fat or fat free mayo. Which is what the above statement implies. The changing of the type of oil used would still mean it is full fat mayo, so I do not see how you meant this with the above statement.

That is what I was replying to. I guess it would all have to come down to how much calories one is supposed to eat to reach their desired goals. Myself, I like to cut down on the excess fat calories of these types of foods to better allow myself to eat other foods I would rather eat. Saturated or not.

mboney
05-15-2003, 01:27 PM
"I think a better way to have put it would be to have have said somthing like "learn to replace foods high in saturated and trans-fatty acids like Peanut butter, fried food, etc. "

Wow! for the last 3 months, I have been loading up on Gif PB and J sandwiches. Now you tell me PB is high in transfats?!!

What is natural PB and where can I get it?

SoulOfKoRea
05-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Natural peanut butter is NATURAL peanut butter, main ingredients are usually salt(some) and peanuts. Smuckers makes a good one, so does Kroger brand as well(cheaper)

oh yeah, and you might want to cut out that jelly, if you're cutting that is, bulking you might not really care... but with cutting all your calories need to count, and jelly is basically sugar, if you do choose to go that route though, go for sugar free kind or 100% natural fruit spreads

Ironman8
05-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by mboney
What is natural PB and where can I get it?

Alot of supermarkets have it now. Also, stores that sell natural organic food have them too.

GhettoSmurf
05-15-2003, 07:27 PM
to see if its natural check the ingredients.

they should read: peanuts, salt

and thats it

also, you'll see a layer of oil at the top of the peanut butter

BobbyRS
05-16-2003, 06:36 AM
By the way, have any of guys ever read this article:

No Trans Fats in Peanut Butter--Contrary to Current Rumor
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010612.htm

I'm curious as to what you think.

Ironman8
05-16-2003, 07:08 AM
I'll stick to natural PB. Better safe than sorry :)