PDA

View Full Version : Good Diet For Getting Good Abs?

Lord Worm
05-14-2003, 10:39 AM
Here is my diet, I posted recently but not many people replied, I am 15, 5'9 and 140lbs.

Breakfast
2 Glasses of semi skimmed milk + 2 scoops of protein powder
Bowl of cereal with milk (Oatmeal)

Mid morning
Glass of milk
1 banana
1 protein bar

Lunch
Glass of milk
sandwiches (tuna, turkey, chicken etc)
1 banana
1 protein bar

Mid afternoon
Glass of milk
1 apple

Dinner
Potatoes
Fish
Steak
Vegetables
Pure Orange Juice

Night
2 Glasses of Semi skimmed milk + 2 scoops of protein powder

I do the 1st routine of this site, I also do 30 minutes on the running machine each workout and 60 reps of crunches each workout, at the beginning of the workout and end. I have a bit of fat around my abs but when you tense you can see them but not much.

This is just over 4000 calories and around 230 g of protein.

eclips1
05-14-2003, 11:58 AM
No, this isn't a good diet if you want to cut away fat to make your abs more visible. That is a diet that will add more fat to your body. Even for a bulking diet, it isn't very efficient. 230 grams of protien is approx 23% of a 4000 cal/day diet.

My suggestion would be approx:
2700 cals/day
90 grams fat
230 grams carbs
280 grams protien.

captnjosh
05-14-2003, 12:27 PM
Why do you drink so much milk?

Ferry Costen
05-14-2003, 12:32 PM
i only drink 1 or 2 glasses of milk tops

T-Bone976
05-14-2003, 12:59 PM
It looks like you should take in less 'evening' carbs. Try substituting greens for your late day carbs.

bradley
05-14-2003, 04:34 PM
First off I would drop the milk except for the little you use on your oatmeal. Just mix the protein with water that you are having for your breakfast. Milk is not ideal when cutting.

I would eat more whole food as well. Looks like most all of your protein comes from bars and supps along with the milk. Try eating more lean protein sources like chicken, fish, eggs, cottage cheese. etc. You also need more healthy fats in your diet. For example fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter etc.

The main thing you need in a diet is 1g of protein per lb. of bw, adequate amount of healthy fats (about 25-30% of your daily cals should come from fat). The rest of your daily cals can come from carbs, and low GI carbs would be the best IMO.

To lose weight you will need to be in a caloric deficit. I would slowly drop down cals in small increments each week until you are losing a small amount of weight each week. No more than a pound a week IMO.

Breakfast
2 Glasses of semi skimmed milk + 2 scoops of protein powder
Bowl of cereal with milk (Oatmeal)
**Just stick with the milk for the oatmeal and mix the protein powder in water.
Mid morning
Glass of milk
1 banana
1 protein bar
**Maybe try a peanut butter sandwich or a sandwich of some sort on ww bread.
Lunch
Glass of milk
sandwiches (tuna, turkey, chicken etc)
1 banana
1 protein bar
**I would move the protein bar to the next meal and ditch the milk.

Mid afternoon
Glass of milk
1 apple
**Eat the protein bar from the previous meal and get rid of the milk.
Dinner
Potatoes
Fish
Steak
Vegetables
Pure Orange Juice

**Ditch the orange juice and maybe go with a sweet potato instead of a regular white potato.

Night
2 Glasses of Semi skimmed milk + 2 scoops of protein powder
**I would go with some cottage cheese and maybe some nuts of some sort. Any type of healthy fat would be fine.

Ironman8
05-14-2003, 05:37 PM
What do you eat/drink after your workout? You should mix in some high GI carbs (like dextrose or maltodextrin) with a protein shake or something.

_-_v_-_
05-14-2003, 07:56 PM
It looks like you should take in less 'evening' carbs. Try substituting greens for your late day carbs.

Myth.

Ironman8
05-15-2003, 07:30 AM
Lord Worm, what's your BF%? I saw your weigh 140Ibs. and your 5'9, so I don't think you need to diet.

Lord Worm
05-15-2003, 08:21 AM
I am not cutting, I just want to get rid of the fat around my waist so my abs will show.

Thanks for all the advice, what else could there be instead of cottage cheese, or any nuts, as I don't like them

bradley
05-15-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Lord Worm
I am not cutting, I just want to get rid of the fat around my waist so my abs will show.{/Quote]

I think that would be considered cutting:)

[Quote]Thanks for all the advice, what else could there be instead of cottage cheese, or any nuts, as I don't like them

Well you don't have to eat cottage cheese or nuts. Just eat some lean protein and healthy fats, in place of the cottage cheese and nuts.

originally posted by Bradley
I would eat more whole food as well. Looks like most all of your protein comes from bars and supps along with the milk. Try eating more lean protein sources like chicken, fish, eggs, cottage cheese. etc. You also need more healthy fats in your diet. For example fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter etc.

Ironman8
05-15-2003, 03:19 PM

what else could there be instead of cottage cheese, or any nuts, as I don't like them

What do you think of cream cheese?

bradley
05-15-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

What do you think of cream cheese?

I wouldn't consider cream cheese comparable to cottage cheese or nuts, as far as nutritional value.

Manveet
05-15-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_

Myth.

I think it really depends on the individual. Its definately not something that HAS to be done to lose weight.

Manveet
05-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the advice, what else could there be instead of cottage cheese, or any nuts, as I don't like them

You can always go with some tuna and flax before bed.