PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate this diet for an ectomorph please...

ADebar
05-14-2003, 12:35 PM
I'm 6'8" @ 180 lbs... Obviously, my body fat is very low and I have a very quick metabolism.

I've been workin out with WBB#1 for about 3 months with great results. Now I want to start eating properly to gain further mass.

I work and go to college so time is the most valuable thing to me at the moment. I need a diet that is quick to make(microwave) and easy to store. Here is what I have come up with...

8am - Large bowl of oatmeal with a banana in it. 1 can tuna that has 13g protein in it. 1 yogurt. 1 glass of whole milk.

10am - cottage cheese and another piece of fruit.

12pm - peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread. 1 can tuna.

3pm - 1 bowl of oatmeal. piece of fruit.

6pm - 2 chicken breasts. 1 yogurt. unsalted peanuts.

7pm - workout

8pm - 56g protein shake.

10pm - 1 chicken breast. 1 tuna can.

Please let me know if this is a good, high-calorie diet for bulking. Thanks so much.

T-Bone976
05-14-2003, 12:56 PM
I am an ectomorph, too and after looking at your diet, it looks like you are focusing all of your attention on protein (which is easy to do). You need more calories in the form of CARBS and a little more fat, as well. Believe me, CARBS are tall, thin guys friends. You should take in some carbs with every meal and especially after your workout! Try grape juice with your post-workout shake. Because you want something that is fast and easy to cook, I suggest white potatoes and sweet potatoes. Pasta and rice are great choices, too, but they require a little more prep time than potatoes. For more fat, try adding olive oil to whatever you would add butter to (ie pasta, potatoes, rice, vegetables). Also, don't be aftaid of red meat; it offers more calories than chicken and tuna. :cool:

Ironman8
05-14-2003, 05:44 PM
IMO, maltodextrin or dextrose with be better to mix with your protein shake after a workout.

ADebar
05-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by T-Bone976
I am an ectomorph, too and after looking at your diet, it looks like you are focusing all of your attention on protein (which is easy to do). You need more calories in the form of CARBS and a little more fat, as well. Believe me, CARBS are tall, thin guys friends. You should take in some carbs with every meal and especially after your workout! Try grape juice with your post-workout shake. Because you want something that is fast and easy to cook, I suggest white potatoes and sweet potatoes. Pasta and rice are great choices, too, but they require a little more prep time than potatoes. For more fat, try adding olive oil to whatever you would add butter to (ie pasta, potatoes, rice, vegetables). Also, don't be aftaid of red meat; it offers more calories than chicken and tuna. :cool:

thanks a lot for the tips. how do you prepare your potatoes and how long does it take?

bradley
05-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by ADebar

thanks a lot for the tips. how do you prepare your potatoes and how long does it take?

The fastest way IMO is to wrap them up in some plastic wrap and nuke them in the microwave for 3-5 minutes per side, depending on the size.

You can also bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour.

Ironman8
05-15-2003, 03:05 PM

You should check out the recipe board for some good potatoe recipes. Just some advice ;)

ADebar
05-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

You should check out the recipe board for some good potatoe recipes. Just some advice ;)

just the thought of a "recipe" scares me. i don't conjure up concoctions of food. the extent of my relationship with food involves ordering it or opening a package. the microwave is sometimes too much trouble. thanks for the tip though.

T-Bone976
05-16-2003, 06:19 AM

just the thought of a "recipe" scares me. i don't conjure up concoctions of food. the extent of my relationship with food involves ordering it or opening a package. the microwave is sometimes too much trouble. thanks for the tip though.

Well, you had better get used to cooking if you want to continue down this road :redface: Thowing a potatoe in the microwave for 4 minutes is not difficult. As suggested, I would check out the recipe page. Start with something simple and work your way up to more difficult meals. Also, as suggested, I would look into purchasing some dextrose to mix with your post-work out shakes. You can buy dextrose at www.proteinfactory.com .

Also, I would suggest drinking 2 or more cans of ice tea to up your calories and carbs, daily. Those simple sugars are not going to hurt a big guy like yourself.

Good luck :cool:

Ironman8
05-16-2003, 07:12 AM
Also, I suggest a George Foreman grill. Easy to use.

bradley
05-16-2003, 08:32 AM

Also, I would suggest drinking 2 or more cans of ice tea to up your calories and carbs, daily. Those simple sugars are not going to hurt a big guy like yourself.

I can think of a better approach than this to increase calories. Why not eat something that is going to have some nutritional benefits instead of just drinking empty calories?

bradley
05-16-2003, 08:34 AM
Also, I suggest a George Foreman grill. Easy to use.

IMO I would go with one of the grills that has a removable cooking surface that makes for easy cleaning. The Foreman grills can be a pain when it comes to cleanup. Just my .02:)

GhettoSmurf
05-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I can think of a better approach than this to increase calories. Why not eat something that is going to have some nutritional benefits instead of just drinking empty calories?

i agree with bradley.

drinking iced tea would be just as bad as chugging a few soda's

T-Bone976
05-16-2003, 09:45 AM

True, but ADebar is 6 foot EIGHT! He needs calories and he's pressed for time; as long as he consumes the sugar drink with a meal, he'll be fine.

ADebar
05-16-2003, 09:58 AM
isn't the caffeine in soda and ice tea bad for muscle growth? doesn't it dehydrate them?

GhettoSmurf
05-16-2003, 10:02 AM

True, but ADebar is 6 foot EIGHT! He needs calories and he's pressed for time; as long as he consumes the sugar drink with a meal, he'll be fine.

yes but still, those are just empty calories with no nutritional value. if you must DRINK somthing, then at least have it be nutritional. heck orange juice would even be better then pop IMO, at least then he'd get some vitamin C. or better yet, drink some milk. or make some MRPs. as long as it at least has nutritional value

T-Bone976
05-16-2003, 12:07 PM
I am not going to argue about the empty calories that iced tea provides. I know that someone who's 6'8" is going to have a hard time finding enough calories to grow, and that's especially true for someone who is busy in college. I have heard sports nutritionist tell me that they do advise cheap calories (ie candy, soda) for athletes that have a hard time getting enough. I'm not advising that AD drink a 6 pack of coke before he goes to bed; I was thinking more along the lines of a tea before, with a meal, before he hits the weights.

I'm done with this thread

:whiner:

bradley
05-16-2003, 02:21 PM

I am not saying that he doesn't need the calories, but you could slurp down a tablespoon of olive oil or grab a handful of nuts which would be better IMO.

I'm done with this thread

That is probably the best because I think you are arguing something that is on shaky ground to begin with.:)

bradley
05-16-2003, 02:23 PM
isn't the caffeine in soda and ice tea bad for muscle growth? doesn't it dehydrate them?

Caffeine is a diuretic but as long as you are getting an adequate amount of water throughout the day I wouldn't worry about it too much. I

Ironman8
05-16-2003, 03:22 PM

Don't know about the caffeine, but I heard soda removes calcium from your bones.

J450n
05-17-2003, 12:21 PM

IMO I would go with one of the grills that has a removable cooking surface that makes for easy cleaning. The Foreman grills can be a pain when it comes to cleanup. Just my .02:)

Tell me about it! Cleaning my George Forman grill after grilling a gamon steak is no joke, it's go to be one of the worse things to clean up after use!

But, does save on hassle though. . .

HahnB
05-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by J450n83

Tell me about it! Cleaning my George Forman grill after grilling a gamon steak is no joke, it's go to be one of the worse things to clean up after use!

But, does save on hassle though. . .

I'm not much of a fan of the foreman grill, unless it's used in a dorm room or something. The food tasts ****ty on it, and it really isn't that fast. Clean up is a lot harder than cleaning a outside grill or a oven.

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 01:40 PM
i love how my chicken tastes after cooking on the foreman grill. :) for me, its just a lot more convenient, cheaper, and takes up less space.

bradley
05-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
i love how my chicken tastes after cooking on the foreman grill. :) for me, its just a lot more convenient, cheaper, and takes up less space.

I know it all comes down to personal preference but I agree in that if you have an oven I see no reason to use a Foreman grill. I can cook a large chicken breast in about 10 minutes in my oven if I broil it and about 35 minutes if I bake it. As far as the fat is concerned I cook it on a rack so the fat still gets to drain off:)

Ironman8
05-17-2003, 03:25 PM
Ya, but the George Foreman grill is also for the health conscious people ;)

bradley
05-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Ya, but the George Foreman grill is also for the health conscious people ;)

originally posted by Bradley

As far as the fat is concerned I cook it on a rack so the fat still gets to drain off:)

:rolleyes:

HahnB
05-17-2003, 04:44 PM

I know it all comes down to personal preference but I agree in that if you have an oven I see no reason to use a Foreman grill. I can cook a large chicken breast in about 10 minutes in my oven if I broil it and about 35 minutes if I bake it. As far as the fat is concerned I cook it on a rack so the fat still gets to drain off:)

I agree with this. I use to cook steaks on mine and they tasted like ****. A steak cooked on a open flame grill tastes sooooo goood, you can't beat flame broiled.

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 05:24 PM
yeah. i agree. that's my favorite way to have chicken and steaks. grilled over an open flame. except it sucks when your 15, and already dont have a butt-load of money. so i guess until i grow a bit older, its just me and the foreman. lol ;)

Ironman8
05-17-2003, 07:04 PM
Mexican Grilled Chicken burritos are the best :D

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 08:25 PM
o BTW, if you are having trouble eating enough calories, then just try to choke down a couple of these ;) http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0744/

Ironman8
05-17-2003, 08:37 PM
LOL! Is that a joke?! I think I'll save that for a bulk ;)

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 08:39 PM
is it even legal to sell somthing like that?

thats like buying a feaking heart attack

Ironman8
05-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Maybe the FDA just gave up :)

J450n
05-18-2003, 09:30 AM
Just another Forman reply - The chicken and turkey fillets don't taste that bad on the grill, plus there's not a lot of fat actually in it to drain... But i think i'll stick to putting steaks in the oven - Plus "Up north" in the UK, it never really is BBQ weather!