PDA

View Full Version : Everyone says that if you are taking in less calories than you consume that....

Mic Soloist
05-14-2003, 05:04 PM
u will lose weight.

I usually take in between 1600-1800 calories per day in 5-6 small meals.

I have 1 or 2 cheat days a week. Cheat day being that I drink about 6 beers and it usually puts me around 2500 calories for those days. Besides that I eat healthy every day.

I get a gram of protein per pound most every day. My carbs rarely exceed 140, cept cheat days and my fats are around 35-50 per day.

I go to the gym at least 6 days a week. I play bball or run on the eliptical every day I go and work out for an hour.

According to my lifestyle on www.fitday.com and the extra 400-600 calories I burn daily at the gym I am burning at least 3000 calories a day. So even on cheat days I am taking in at least 500 less calories than I burn. On normal days it's more like 1000.

However I always maintain, and NEVER lose body fat. I've gained muscle and haven't gained much around the waist but I'm trying to drop BF and I am not doing it. I exercise more than most people and I can't really eat any less.

So what should I do????

-peace-

bradley
05-14-2003, 05:11 PM
More is not always better. Sounds as though you are not eating enough given your current activity level.

Could be the fact that your body has slowed down you metabolism in order to conserve energy. Your body is smarter than you think. Just because you eat less and exercise more does not necessarily mean you are just going to melt off fat. Your body will try and conserve it's energy reserves.

Have you tried just lifting 3-4 days per week and performing cardio on your off days, or at least cut down on your cardio?

Ironman8
05-14-2003, 05:20 PM
With consuming 1600-1800 calories and cardio 6 days a week, I would definitly say your metabolism has shut down.

Mic, have you experimented with your calories? Like starting at 2,500 calories, then gradually decreasing it until you have lose a pound a week.

Mic Soloist
05-14-2003, 05:28 PM
See anytime I increase my calories a few thousand I feel bloated and full constantly.

I also gain weight(not muscle) and I can tell a difference in my stomach in the mirror.

When I eat the way I am I usually feel full but comfortable.

Plus I scatter it out to 5-6 meals a day

Usually my day is like....

Meal 1: Oatmeal

2 cups milk

Meal 2: Small chicken breast and banana(or other piece of fruti)

Meal 3: Turkey Breast Sandwich with 1 slice chedder cheese or natty peanut butter sandwich

WORKOUT

Meal 4: Post workout protein shake

Meal 5: Salad(1 cup cottage cheese/lettace/chicken

1 can of tuna w/ low fast mayo and relish(usually on bread)

Milk

or boca Burger

Then sometimes I'll have a lil snack b4 bed.

What should I add or subtract?

-peace-

captnjosh
05-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Your stats show you at 5'-11" aand 160lbs.
What is your BF%?

_-_v_-_
05-14-2003, 07:55 PM
This guy has asked this same question many times, and each time the answer has been the same: eat more.

If he won't listen, why should we?

SoulOfKoRea
05-14-2003, 07:59 PM
1600 seems awfully low, even for me...

GhettoSmurf
05-14-2003, 08:03 PM
i think i'd die on 1600...

and thats coming from som1 who is 6'0 @ 140 pounds

Mic Soloist
05-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by captnjosh
Your stats show you at 5'-11" aand 160lbs.
What is your BF%?

My waist is 31.5-32 inches so I'd guess between 11-13%

thats a guess though.....

-peace-

Mic Soloist
05-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Did u see my daily meal situation. I am eating often and taking in enough to fill me up. Look at the diet and suggest what I should change cuz I'm not really sure what else I can eat.

I just get full easy.....

-peace-

Mic Soloist
05-14-2003, 08:54 PM
Ok for instance

Today I had

Meal 1: Oatmeal 2 cups of skim milk

Meal 2: 1 large Chicken breast

Meal 3: 2.5 servings of tuna on 1 slice of bread

Meal 4: 2 slices of lean turkey with 1 slice chedder cheese on 2 slices of white bread with mustard.

Went to my bball league and played game(Had Powerade during game), followed by 20 minutes on eliptical machine. No weights today.

Meal 5: 1 Metrx Protein shake(23 G protein, 3 carbs)

Meal 6: 1 large Chicken Breast on 2 slices of breat with 1 slice chedder cheese.

Total(not including powerade which had 25 carbs I think... but I burned the sh-t out of those)

1627 Calories

201 grams of Protein

122 Carbs(plus powerade)

30 grams of fat(I know I need more but Im out of peanut butter:()

Anyway that was today.... I burned off 300 calories on the eliptical machine and 529 calories in the game according to www.fitday.com According to my lifestyle setting I typed in on that site I burned a total of 4068 calories today.

-peace-

bradley
05-15-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
See anytime I increase my calories a few thousand I feel bloated and full constantly.

We are not sayint to increase cals by a few thousand. Maybe more like 300-500. I am sure you do feel bloated and full just all of a sudden eating 2000 more calories a day. That is double the calories you were eating.

I also gain weight(not muscle) and I can tell a difference in my stomach in the mirror.

I am sure that this is just because you have some food in your gut which could cause you stomach to distend a little. Weigh yourself once a week first thing in the morning, not everyday.

Meal 1: Oatmeal

2 cups milk
***ditch the milk and maybe add in some eggs/egg whites or some other lean protein source

Meal 2: Small chicken breast and banana(or other piece of fruti)

Meal 3: Turkey Breast Sandwich with 1 slice chedder cheese or natty peanut butter sandwich

WORKOUT

Meal 4: Post workout protein shake
***I would add some high GI carbs postworkout

Meal 5: Salad(1 cup cottage cheese/lettace/chicken

1 can of tuna w/ low fast mayo and relish(usually on bread)

Milk

or boca Burger

Then sometimes I'll have a lil snack b4 bed.

You also need to get some more fat in your diet. Maybe have some peanuts with a couple of your meals, and maybe throw in some fish oil to get some omega 3 fats in your diet. Other good sources would be olive oil, flax oil, oily fish (salmon), etc.

bradley
05-15-2003, 02:47 AM
Anyway that was today.... I burned off 300 calories on the eliptical machine and 529 calories in the game according to www.fitday.com According to my lifestyle setting I typed in on that site I burned a total of 4068 calories today.

With this much activity is it not obvious that you need more cals?

Eating more calorie dense foods should help with this.

GhettoSmurf
05-15-2003, 04:43 AM
Did u see my daily meal situation. I am eating often and taking in enough to fill me up.

yeah, but i mean, i could make up a crap oad of FF/SF jell-o and eat it all and get really full, but have it only come out to being 40 calories. you should do what braley said and get some more healthy fats, and eat more calorie-dense foods.

or if you want, maybe you could try making a homemade MRP, and drink it down.

try:
1-2 Cups Oatmeal
2-4 Cups Water (or Milk)
1-2 Scoops Whey
1-2 Tablespoons Natural Peanut Butter
Some Splenda for sweetness (optional)

throw it all in a blender and wallah~!~

Ironman8
05-15-2003, 07:22 AM
Mic, like I said in my previous post, have you experimented with your calories?

IceRgrrl
05-15-2003, 07:29 AM
You need to eat more. I'd be starving on your daily meals and I'm a female. I'm with the others...your metabolism is shutting way down because it thinks you're in the midst of a famine.

Gradually up your calories and for heaven's sake don't be looking at your stomach for evidence of weight gain on a daily basis! Weigh yourself once or twice a week and see what's happening over at least 3-4 weeks.

captnjosh
05-15-2003, 08:24 AM
However I always maintain, and NEVER lose body fat. I've gained muscle and haven't gained much around the waist but I'm trying to drop BF and I am not doing it. I exercise more than most people and I can't really eat any less.

How can you say you NEVER lose body fat if your not sure how much body fat you have?
Personaly I think you should eat more and try to put on some more muscle.

Mic Soloist
05-15-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Mic, like I said in my previous post, have you experimented with your calories?

like I said. Any day I take in more than 1800 I go to bed feeling really full and uncomfortable.

But everybody keeps saying eat more so I guess I will. I don't know when I'm gonna have time, I'm eating constantly as it is and I'm always full as it is, but I'll try some new stuff. I'm eating way more than I use to now. I used to only eat like 2 times a day. I would have breakfast and dinner and that would be it. I was usually full all day, it just doesn't take much to fill me up.

-peace-