PDA

View Full Version : when to start dieting again?

aikigreg
05-15-2003, 03:30 PM
I came to the realization recently that I was grossly undereating in my zeal to lose weight. I'd been getting 1700 cals a dat at 240lbs, t-dawg II diet followed to the letter and I still wasn't losing any weight.

I was lifting 3 times a week, martial arts twice a week, and walking with my golfbag on Sundays and still not losing.

So a few weeks ago I started jumping the calories up. Now I'm getting average about 2600 calories a day or just a little more. Until this week, there had been no weight gain even with adding an extra thousand cals a day! Now I'm starting to gain a little bit, but my strength and muscle size are also increasing for the first time in over a year.

So things are on the right track, but WHEN should I start cutting again? At what point have I "reset" my body, so to speak? I'm dying to lose the 40 pounds of fat I'm still carrying.

bradley
05-15-2003, 04:32 PM
If you have been at maintenance or above for a couple of weeks then I would say it is ok to start dropping cals again. Although this time I recommend going about it a little differently. Drop cals in small increments each week (approx. 200) and see how your body responds. I would shoot for no more than 1lb. a week, as far as weight loss is concerned.

Make sure to get adequate protein in your diet along with a sufficient amount of EFA's.

So a few weeks ago I started jumping the calories up. Now I'm getting average about 2600 calories a day or just a little more. Until this week, there had been no weight gain even with adding an extra thousand cals a day! Now I'm starting to gain a little bit, but my strength and muscle size are also increasing for the first time in over a year.

If muscle size and strength are increasing you might want to keep cals at the current level for a while and see if you can add some more muscle without adding much fat, but I think it would be okay to drop cals again.