PDA

View Full Version : Need Diet Help

Tryska
05-16-2003, 08:45 AM
okay.....i still am not losing fat, and since starting glucophage i have gained 5 lbs. it literally happened over a week, so i'm guessing it's all water, but i hate this horrible bloated feeling. of course it could also be hormonal, but i'm not sure.

i know i haven't been training like i should, but i haven't been doing that since god..i got laid off last spring. i was fine right up until about january, and my nutrition hasn't changed all that much, altho i know it's low.

cg thought perhaps i should try eating above mainetenance for a month or so, because it's possible my metabolism is still totally shot. whilst i eat much more thna i used to, i can't say it's ever been more than maintenance cals.

what are y'alls thoughts?

also, does anyone know if glucophage makes you hold water?

Manveet
05-16-2003, 11:30 AM
How long have you been dieting for? Have you been doing any refeeds at all?

Tryska
05-16-2003, 11:38 AM
god....i guess i've been in intelligent calorie restriction (of some sort or the other) for 2.5 years now?

before that i severely underate.

if by refeed, you mean cheat meals or unrestricted eating, then i do that fairly regularly but still even on my worst binge days i would hit maybe 2000 total for the day. i'm not real good at the eatign thing.

Manveet
05-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Take CG's advice, I think you need to eat up, get your metabolism back to normal. It's probably at a snails pace from all that dieting. Do you know how many cals you are taking in currently, and ratios?

WillKuenzel
05-16-2003, 11:51 AM
How's the training been since you've started the glucophage? I've heard of a few people putting on some muscle while using it but if you are undereating, I'd find that hard to believe.

Are you eating regularly or what?

Tryska
05-16-2003, 11:59 AM
erm...fairly regularly but it's in the 1700-2000 range, depending on how much time i've got and how i'm feeling. the first week the glucophage was messing with my stomach a bit, and i guess it still sorta kinda does, but without nausea. just acidy stomach, when i try to eat any low-gi/high fiber carbs (oats, wild rice, brown rice)

trainings been decent...my squats back to pre-break levels.

oh manveet - as far as rations, on average, it's like 40% Fat, 30% protein, 30% carbs (all low GI)

Manveet
05-16-2003, 12:13 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21873&highlight=refeeds

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

Couple of sources you might want to read through. I definately think you should start doing some proper refeeds here, especially if you haven't lost any fat for quite some time.

Tryska
05-16-2003, 02:52 PM
hmm..i think i will take a month and eat whatever the hell i want, and make sure to be well over maintenance whilst doing it. sort of like a bulk. then perhaps i'll go into keto or something.

Paul Stagg
05-16-2003, 03:09 PM
Doesn't sound to me like your cals are too low.

Don't get all technical and stuff yet. Basics first.

How many calories are you eating on average. Not estimated, but actual.

Couple that with how much weight you've gained/lost.

Do the math.

You know the drill.

Ironman8
05-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Tryska, have you experimented with your calories? For example, starting at 2,500 and gradually decreasing until you have lost a pound per week.

Tryska
05-16-2003, 03:29 PM
well actual calories on average paulie?

about 1650. and i've actually gained on that for some reason. (like i said that 5 lbs seems to be water)

the thyroid levels are quite good right now tho, so i'm at a total loss. low carb isn't even working, even when i put the cal levels up to 2000.

ironman...no i've never actually set my calories higher and decreased. I always start out to low and hten have to build up, but as usual.....

i can eat 1200 cals a day for a week, or i can eat 2200 cals a day for a week. I will neither lose nor gain.