PDA

View Full Version : diet and limited training

mindburnt
05-16-2003, 10:29 AM
ive been in a cast for a month and cant lift with upper body. i do abs, legs, neck and close to two hours cardio a day. i also do self resistance training(mainly just flexing, since i cant evenly distribute resistance due to the broken arm) is it okay to get over 3000 calories a day like i did before when i was lifting weights every day, or should i reduce it? i weigh 157 with around 5 or 6 % bodyfat.

bradley
05-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Well are you losing, maintaining, or gaining weight at this calorie level? If you are doing 2 hours of cardio a day you are going to need a good amount of calories to sustain that amount of activity. I would just stay at that current calorie level and then see how your body responds. If you find yourself gaining weight then cut down on the cals a bit.

Why so much cardio?

Ironman8
05-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Yes, mindburnt, you need alot of calories due to your activity level.

GhettoSmurf
05-16-2003, 07:21 PM
if you do close to two hours of cardio a day, that burns a heck of a lot more calories then lifting weights. IMO yes, its fine to eat that much.

mindburnt
05-16-2003, 08:08 PM
im not a bodybuilder as much as i am an athlete. thats why i do so much cardio. what athletes dont?

GhettoSmurf
05-16-2003, 08:13 PM
it all depends what you consider athletes i guess.

i mean, i dont think SUMO wrestlers do much cardio IMO, and im sure in Japan they are considered the "top" athletes ;)

mindburnt
05-17-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
it all depends what you consider athletes i guess.

i mean, i dont think SUMO wrestlers do much cardio IMO, and im sure in Japan they are considered the "top" athletes ;)

sumo is more of a greco roman wrestling that needs little speed. consider ninjas japan's top athletes. way more agility required. im sure they do more than lift weights and a 30 minute cardio a day. just simply bodybuilding doesnt help much with agility.

Ironman8
05-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Did you ever see sumo matches?! Trying to push a 300Ib(estimate) man out of a circle is cardio enough for me!

powerhalf
05-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Sumo wrestling is suprisingly similar to homestyle heavyweight wrestling. And yeah, believe me, you need a pretty good amount of cardio endurance to compete :)

Ironman8
05-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Heh heh, wrestling is pretty vigerous too. Heh, I can't imagine someone running around, picking up the other guy, and getting slammed for an hour in an Ironman match ;)