PDA

View Full Version : Just joined, questions with my diet

BrianLS1
05-16-2003, 10:31 AM
abcd

bradley
05-16-2003, 02:06 PM
I started eating the way I thought I should and gained 8 lbs of fat(I could see it in my waist and pants were getting tighter) in 6 days by taking in 2600 calories a day(300 carbs, 250 protein, and 45 fat

I doubt that you gained 8lvs in 6 days by taking in only 2600 cals. I am sure most of this was glycogen and water seeing as how you were on a lower carb diet.

Pre-workout(30 minutes before)
1 scoop of whey with water
***I would add in some carbs or fat here. The reason I say this is because the majority of the whey will be converted to glucose for energy if you stick with the whey mixed with water.

Post-workout(15 minutes after)
bowl of high glycemic cereal and whey shake(laugh but it's the only time of day I eat bad carbs)
***I would probably go with some dextrose or maltodextrin postworkout but the cereal would be ok. Make sure you are taking in ample carbs postworkout though.

Next meal(2 hours later)
tuna fish and no fat mayo, bowl of all bran extra fiber
**If you are going to stick with the no fat mayo I would recommend getting some healthy fats in with this meal. Maybe add in some fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, etc.

Next meal(3 hours later)
protein pancakes or bar sometimes(same ratios between the two)

Next meal(2 hours later)
93%lean beef or 8 oz chicken grilled and medium salad

Next meal(3 hours later)
8 egg whites, 1 yolk
***Might want to get some more fat with this meal

Before bed
cup of cottage cheese with scoop of protein

This diet comes out to around 210c/275p/44f at 2336 calories with a ratio of 36%c/47%p/17%f...should I alternate the carbs/fat and get a better percentage of fat or lower it even more or does it really matter?

The ratios are really not that important. Just make sure you are getting adequate protein and EFA's in your diet. 1g or protein per lb. of bw should be plenty and I would recommend 25-30% of your cals coming from fat. The rest of your cals can be made up of low GI carbs or one of the other macronutrients.

I know by getting more fat I'll up the total calorie but what do you think the ratio I should go with.. I love oatmeal and eat it on my day off for breakfast and wish I could use it for my post workout but that probably wouldn't be the best idea would it? I keep reading about the insulin spike but maybe I shouldn't go for the spike with my problem of gaining fat easily? I change this diet around very little on my days off but keep the same ratio and around the same calories for the day..I appreciate any help I can get..I don't get to come on here a whole lot so I'll keep checking back..

The most important things are to make sure you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the day and that you are getting adequate protein and EFA's in your diet. I would stick to the high GI carbs postworkout and low GI carbs at other times during the day. There is no need to really worry about carb intake. Carbs are not as bad as they are made out to be.

Ironman8
05-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by BrianLS1

tuna fish and no fat may

IMO, regular mayonnaise isn't bad for you. It has only 1.5 grams of saturated fat, and it's a good way to get your extra fats in.

GhettoSmurf
05-16-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

IMO, regular mayonnaise isn't bad for you. It has only 1.5 grams of saturated fat, and it's a good way to get your extra fats in.

i agree. have you checked the label on the no fat mayo? it MAY contain quite a bit of sugar...

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 01:37 PM
good luck keep us updated ;)

Ironman8
05-17-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

i agree. have you checked the label on the no fat mayo? it MAY contain quite a bit of sugar...

Ya, I guess you're right about that. But, that why you shouldn't go all out on it.