PDA

View Full Version : Flye Machine Makin' me hurt

frankrul
02-02-2001, 11:46 AM
Im wondering if I should switch to dumbell flyes based on the below. First off, I had no problems doing the flye on machines before and I only felt a bit of discomfort from the awkwardness of the machine. Last week, I worked out ilke a mofo (ugghh. yah..) and I realize now that I may have gone through a period of neglect for water intake and may have been a little dehydrated at the time. In doing the flye, I can get in my 2 sets of 10 reps at about 90 lbs.
Im tall (6'2") and I have a really long reach. I feel as if the machine "arms" are too long and I ended up somewhat cramping in my left pec. It continued to cramp over the next 3 days during the day at times and then disapeared.
I worked out again last night and didnt get the exact same type of cramping, but more of a discomfort in my armpits when my arms come together. It was a pretty crappy feeling, and makes me want to not use the machine anymore.
Does this sound like an issue with the machine, or should I just suck it up and keep going?

Thanks in advance.
Frank

Maki Riddington
02-02-2001, 11:58 AM
Do your elbows travel past your shoulders when your doing flys?

frankrul
02-02-2001, 12:19 PM
I bring my hands together if that's what you mean.
Now that I think of it, the pain starts right when
my hands pass my shoulder line.

Could that be it?

chris mason
02-02-2001, 01:12 PM
If it causes pain other than the type of soreness from weightlifting, I would drop the exercise.

Maki Riddington
02-02-2001, 01:23 PM
Yes,what your doing is placing excess stress onto the shoulder capsule,just go so that your shoulder stays in line with your elbow.
Also look at the other exercsies your doing and revaluate your ROM in the bench press and dips and shoulder presses.

frankrul
02-02-2001, 01:29 PM
I think its the motion, anything past my shoulder line, it hurts even now when I immitate the motion.

Thanks a million, you guys rule.

Frank