PDA

View Full Version : The Bodybuilder's Nutrition Book

paisano
05-18-2003, 06:13 PM
Anyone ever read this book by Franco Columbo?
Some of the statements he makes in this book don't really coincide with what most people recommend. For example, he does not recommend the use of protein powders, and his typical diet includes beer or wine with his meals. He obviously knows alot more than me about body chemistry and all that stuff, and he had a very successul career with this kind of diet, but if I drank alcohol every day, I don't believe I would make much progress.
This was written in 1985, so maybe it's just outdated information.

Just wondering if anybody had any comments on this book.

Ironman8
05-18-2003, 06:18 PM
LOL! Well, at least wine has antioxidents in it ;)

entrrt
05-18-2003, 06:45 PM
i'm sure good genes has nothing to do about his physique. i don't think alcohol is a must for any BB's diet.

paisano
05-18-2003, 07:16 PM
I know he's genetically gifted. I'm just surprised he would suggest alcohol in a bodybuilder's diet.

entrrt
05-18-2003, 08:26 PM
if he can get away w/ it...more power to him. wish i could drink some beer everday and not affect my goals.

quest4muscle
05-18-2003, 09:52 PM
I read it. A lot of it did go against what you hear today. I'm guessing its outdated stuff. His guidelines for how much protein one should take in were very different as i remember.

bradley
05-19-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by paisano

This was written in 1985, so maybe it's just outdated information.

I think this says it all. I mean the book is 18 years old. I am sure it contains some helpful information along with some that is outdated.

I am sure he has great genetics but a lot of professional bodybuilders have a little extra help as well.:)

Ironman8
05-19-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by entrrt
i don't think alcohol is a must for any BB's diet.

IMO, people gain weight when they drink beer and snack on junk food :)

Mic Soloist
05-19-2003, 09:24 PM
if he can get away w/ it...more power to him. wish i could drink some beer everday and not affect my goals.

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 04:27 AM

i agree. just like nowadays people lke ronnie coleman eat loads and loads of junk when bulking. and they still can end up looking ****ing great. too bad the same doesnt go for most people :(

bradley
05-20-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

i agree. just like nowadays people lke ronnie coleman eat loads and loads of junk when bulking. and they still can end up looking ****ing great. too bad the same doesnt go for most people :(

Well you have to factor in the AAS that they are taking as well. Granted they still have to work hard in the gym to look like they do, but this is one reason that they can be more relaxed when it comes to dieting. AAS does give them quite an advantage over natural trainers, but pro BB's do have much better genetics than the average natural trainer.

Ironman8
05-20-2003, 06:51 AM
Ronnie Coleman's metabolism is probably over the roof! If I were that muscular, I would be eating chips and icecream everyday.

Beast
05-20-2003, 12:15 PM
The diets he recommends in his book are just too low-calorie. I guess he figured you'd be juicing, too.
The only thing I find useful in his book is the big food index in the back. It's great!

Ironman8
05-20-2003, 05:01 PM
LOL! Think you can post them NDBeast? :)

RoidRage
05-20-2003, 05:47 PM
I have the book. But you have to realize in 1985 protein supps were not as advanced and quality was not nearly as good, we've come along way since then.

paisano
05-20-2003, 06:28 PM
The mega-dose vitamin recommendations in this book seem too extreme also. You'd be popping pills all day to meet these requirements.
But besides these questionable subjects, there is a lot of good information in this book, such as protein metabolism and how the body breaks down and utilizes nutrients from food. I thought it was pretty interesting reading this stuff.
I haven't really seen any other good books on bodybuilding nutrition. I guess there's enough information floating around the internet, but I'm surprised Franco hasn't written another (updated) book.

SquareHead
05-21-2003, 11:27 AM
Pasiano-

I had the same problem finding a good up todate book. I am still looking for one so if you find one you drop me a pm if you dont mind and let me know. The one that I purchased was from 86 as well has some questionable information.

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 05:19 PM
I saw a Frank Columbo book a few weeks ago, but I don't know if it was out of up dated.

paisano
05-22-2003, 10:22 AM
SquareHead, I'll let you know if I come across any usefull books.