PDA

View Full Version : Hunger!!

mindburnt
05-18-2003, 08:24 PM
i weigh 157, 18 years old and cant lift weights(except legs and abs) cause i have my arm in a cast. im controlling my diet to keep it around 2400 calories or so with roughly 125-180 grams of protein. i get 30 minutes of walking on empty stomach each morning, and then martial arts cardio at night for an hour. i lift with legs weds and saturdays, or only saturdays. I have this problem with being hungry all the time. i can never take my mind off food and i've never been fat before or any type of severe sweet tooth. Ive never been this hungry as far as i can recall. ive eaten a lot (i mean LOTS of junk food over the years, but never got fat.) now i eat no junk food at all either. unless cold cereal is considered junk food. what is with these constant cravings? i split the caloric intake into six meals a day. could this hunger be a sign of a growth spurt?

entrrt
05-18-2003, 08:32 PM
are you eating every 2-3 hours a day? give us an example of WHAT and WHEN you eat during the day and we'll go from there.

mindburnt
05-18-2003, 09:18 PM
5:00am---1/4 serving of optimum nutrition's seriuos mass meal replacement=403 calories

7:00am---banana and carb drink(230 calories)

8:00 am---ham egg and cheese on whole wheat bagel=450 calories

11:00am--- ham and turkey sandwich=450 calories

2:00pm---Grow meal replacement bar=310 calories

4:45pm---banana, apple, carrot, and a few peanuts=approx. 350 calories

7:30 or 8:30 pm(depends on martial arts class time)---designer whey protein with 8 oz milk=210 calories

this is my goal diet for the time being with the arm in the cast. unfortunately, ive been cheating it miserably with bowls of cereal, peanut butter and jelly on 1 piece of bread, extra cups of milk, etc. but no junk food ever. and still hungry all the time. hope this info helps

captnjosh
05-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Try adding some more fats to your diet. I don't know why but for me fats help curb cravings. I don't know how much muscle you have on you but if your cutting back your diet too much you'll lose some. I'm sure you don't want to get fat but you probably really don't want to lose muscle.

bryancore
05-19-2003, 12:42 AM
It looks like your eating too little calories, especially for an ectomorph (you said you used to eat all the junk in the world w/o gaining fat.) Since your metabolism is so fast, throw in some more food. Listen to your body, its reacting that way for a reason.

as0l0
05-19-2003, 12:45 AM
I can suggest eating more protien. on days where my protien is higher and carbs a little lower I have trouble finishing my meals for the day.

bradley
05-19-2003, 03:20 AM
I would go with more whole food and get rid of some of the shakes. Whole food satisfies my hungar much better than any shakes or MRP's. Also might want to throw in some fibrous veggies and more fats, as both of these will help keep you full longer. Looks like you need more fat in your diet anyway:)

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 04:42 AM
i agree, more protein in 7am meal and 4:45 meal. also, just more EFA's in the diet

Ironman8
05-19-2003, 07:01 AM
Also, I suggest adding some fiberous foods to your diet.

SoulOfKoRea
05-19-2003, 01:40 PM
cold cereal is junk food to me :(, I miss me lucky charms!

Ironman8
05-19-2003, 05:44 PM
Some cold cereals are good. Like, something with fiber. IMO, sugary cereals are junk.

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 08:04 PM
the only cereal i'd eat is fiber-one. but when i try a CKD that will be a whole different animal ;)

bradley
05-20-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
cold cereal is junk food to me :(, I miss me lucky charms!

There are plenty of good cereals out there. Cereals like Kashi or any type of whole grain cereal would be fine IMO. Just have to check out the labels and ingredients before buying.

Ironman8
05-20-2003, 07:08 AM
But watch out for some of the wheat type cereals. Most of them have high fructose corn syrup added.

bradley
05-20-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
But watch out for some of the wheat type cereals. Most of them have high fructose corn syrup added.

Originally posted by Bradley
Just have to check out the labels and ingredients before buying.

:rolleyes:

mindburnt
05-20-2003, 08:39 PM
nevermind. i found the solution: GUM (sugar free, of course);)

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by mindburnt

just becareful, and dont go overboard. i know when i chew too much sugarfree gum, it can have some wicked side effects on my digestive system, becuase of the sugar alcohols.

bradley
05-21-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

just becareful, and dont go overboard. i know when i chew too much sugarfree gum, it can have some wicked side effects on my digestive system, becuase of the sugar alcohols.

Most sugar free gum only has approximately 2g of sugar alcohols per piece. I doubt that is a sufficient amount to hurt anything unless you chew 15 pieces at once.

Some low carbs bars I have seen contain upwards of up to 20g of sugar alcohols. This amount could cause some digestive problems in some people, but most shouldn't have a problem.

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by mindburnt

They're was a topic saying that chewing gum makes you hungrier, but there's no proof yet.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8

They're was a topic saying that chewing gum makes you hungrier, but there's no proof yet.

lol! i was thinking that too when i first read it. whenever i chew gum for longer then 15 minutes i get REALLY hungry. i dunno, maybe it works the opposite way for others?

bryancore
05-21-2003, 10:29 AM
Chewing gum burns calories. If you chew gum all day you can burn up to 200 calories a day. I dunno about making you hungry though?

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by bryancore
I dunno about making you hungry though?

People say it's the mint going to your stomach, thus making your hungry.