PDA

View Full Version : critique my diet

archanix
05-19-2003, 07:43 AM
I am in need of diet advice. I'm really not to keen on what foods are good for you and I have never really been concerned with food ratios. Here is how my diet currently looks... Please help me revise it.

8:00am
2 cups original cheerios
1/2 plain bagel with natty pb
1 apple

10:30am
1/4 cup of soy nuts
1/4 cup of raisins

1:00pm
turkey on two slices of whole wheat bread
1 orange
2 fig newtons

4:00pm
1/4 cup almonds
carrots

5:00pm
WORKOUT
postworkout: detour bar or protein shake

7:00pm
chicken or fish
rice, veggies

9:30pm
yogurt
graham crackers
banana

Please help me! :) thanks in advance

oh and basically, im trying to shed a few pounds for the summer so im doing cardio twice a week and my workouts have been geared towards gaining strength.

my stats are: 5'7, 165

bradley
05-19-2003, 08:38 AM
Here is some info I posted in another thread that might be of some help:

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) 25-30% of daily calories should come from fat (Essential fatty
acids making up most of this total)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, hemp oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly decrease cals in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 3000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to decrease cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2700 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have lost. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

bradley
05-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by archanix
8:00am
2 cups original cheerios
1/2 plain bagel with natty pb
1 apple
***I would get rid of some of the carbs and add in some protein of some sort. Maybe some whole eggs/egg whits. I would probably switch the cheerios for some oatmeal and drop the apple and 1/2 bagel. Although the natty pb is a good idea because it contains some fat which you need in your diet.

10:30am
1/4 cup of soy nuts
1/4 cup of raisins
***Just watch the raisins as they are a calorically dense food.

1:00pm
turkey on two slices of whole wheat bread
1 orange
2 fig newtons

4:00pm
1/4 cup almonds
carrots

5:00pm
WORKOUT
postworkout: detour bar or protein shake
***I would stick with the protein shake postworkout and add in some high GI carbs (dextrose/maltodextrin)

7:00pm
chicken or fish
rice, veggies

9:30pm
yogurt
graham crackers
banana
***I think I would go with some cottage cheese and maybe some type of healthy fat (fish oil, olive oil, natty pb, etc.). Basically want a slow digesting protein seeing as how you will be going without food for an extended period of time due to sleeping.

Diet looks pretty good IMO, but I think you need to add some omega 3 fats in there which you can get from eating fish (salmon is an excellent choice), or supplementing with fish oil of some sort.

archanix
05-19-2003, 09:56 AM
thanks a lot

your quick response is most appreciated

you say to have oatmeal in the morning....
i find it hard to eat by itself.. what can i add to it? hint of cinamon.. maybe apple slices?

i also have trouble consuming natty pb alone.. i need to stick it on something.. what should i throw it on? wheat bread?

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 11:09 AM
if you dont like oatmeal plain, try spinkleing some cinnamon or mixing in a packet of splenda. thats what i do.

natty PB on bread works fine. i also mix some PB in with my cottage cheese before i go to bed. tastes pretty darn good IMO

bradley
05-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by archanix
you say to have oatmeal in the morning....
i find it hard to eat by itself.. what can i add to it? hint of cinamon.. maybe apple slices?

i also have trouble consuming natty pb alone.. i need to stick it on something.. what should i throw it on? wheat bread?

I sometimes just mix the natty pb in with my oatmeal and throw a little Splenda in to sweeten it up. Might try that, but the cinnamon or a few apple slice would work as well.

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 04:31 PM
bradley ive heard from other sources that its not always a good idea to mix carbs and fat. do you have any opinion on this?

Ironman8
05-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
bradley ive heard from other sources that its not always a good idea to mix carbs and fat. do you have any opinion on this?

Are you talking about refeeding? Becuase it is said you're suppose to keep fat low and carbs high so the fat won't get delivere in your system more rapidly.

bradley
05-19-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

If you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the day then it doesn't matter.

bradley
05-19-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8

Are you talking about refeeding? Becuase it is said you're suppose to keep fat low and carbs high so the fat won't get delivere in your system more rapidly.

He is referring to John Berardi's theory on food combining, I assume. When overfeeding, as with refeeds, then yes it is best to keep carbs and fat separate because the carbs would be used as energy/glycogen replenishment and the fat would get stored as fat.