PDA

View Full Version : Kovacs and me

Natural_O
05-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Photo of me and Greg Kovacs at the 1998 Arnold Classic

chris mason
05-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Ok, you're all set.

Everyone, let's say hello to John. He is an author for Ironman magazine and former natural Mr. Olympia. A very nice guy and someone I am very proud to have post here, even if on occassion.

RG570
05-19-2003, 11:44 AM
:eek: welcome!

AstronautJones
05-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Glad to have you here. That's a great picture!

kAiXuan
05-19-2003, 12:56 PM
cool to have you here!

Mik
05-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Welcome aboard. Great pic!

Rock
05-19-2003, 02:37 PM
John Hansen! wow, I dream about becoming natural mr.o someday, this is awesome, this is way cool! great guns!

Natural_O
05-19-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys for the warm welcome and thanks also to Chris for inviting me to join his forum. I'll be checking in as much as I can. Talk to you soon!

the doc
05-19-2003, 03:02 PM
welcome!!

Maki Riddington
05-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Good to have you here. Nice picture!

xraygirl
05-19-2003, 04:19 PM
I looked at the picture before I read the rest of the thread and thought, "who the h@ll does the dude think he is, John Hansen?" I guess he was...:rolleyes:
Welcome aboard John! ;)

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 04:19 PM
welcome to the boards!

Beast
05-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Welcome! :bow: :omg:

sarah69
05-19-2003, 05:18 PM
how big r ur arms john?

Natural_O
05-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Sarah, my arms are about 19" right now. I'm training hard presently to get them a little bit bigger (or a lot bigger, to be honest!) before I start my diet in 4 weeks.

xraygirl
05-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Weren't you sidelined by an injury a couple of years ago? I remember reading something in Ironman about that. An on the job thing if I'm not mistaken.

Natural_O
05-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Yes, I tore my bicep tendon while working a part time job for Delta Airlines. We were lifting a dog kennel out of a freight cart (with the dog in it) and the weight of the kennel yanked my arm down and tore the bicep tendon. It was a bummer because I was one week away from competing in a contest that I had trained all year for. However, I had to have the surgery right away because in order to get the original shape of your bicep back, the surgery needs to be done within 10-14 days. I wouldn't wish that injury on anyone. That was in October of 2000 though so it's doing just fine now.

Neil
05-19-2003, 06:34 PM
How much do you weigh in contest shape?

Natural_O
05-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Neil, I'm about 232 right now and hope to be 205 for my show

Natural_O
05-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Thanks Neil, I appreciate it!

Lesnar_Rocks
05-19-2003, 06:41 PM
OMG, Your HUGE

How old are you?

Neil
05-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Damnit, lol, I deleted my post cause you answered my question. Sorry about that. I do have one more question, do you train with low volume?

Natural_O
05-19-2003, 06:51 PM
Yes, pretty low volume. I do about 12 sets for my chest, back, legs and delts. Arms are about 6-9 sets, same with calves.

Ironman8
05-19-2003, 07:22 PM
Welcome John! Have any advice for a 15 year old like me ;)

Natural_O
05-19-2003, 07:25 PM
Stick with the basic exercises, train heavy, hard and smart! Eat good, quality bodybuilding food and keep track of your progress to monitor your feedback.

heathj
05-19-2003, 07:42 PM
Looking good. Glad to have you at the boards!

steveo
05-19-2003, 08:04 PM
This has to be the best thing to happen to this board since....uhhhhh....hmmm.....Jay Culter?

Never mind. It's awesome to have you on board and extremely lucky to Welcome you to our board.

icanrace
05-19-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Natural_O
Yes, pretty low volume. I do about 12 sets for my chest, back, legs and delts. Arms are about 6-9 sets, same with calves. Holy cow, your arms are about the size of my head. You look awesome man. Great job. How many reps do you try to squeeze out with those monsters? :cry:

Natural_O
05-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks again for the warm welcome guys! As for reps, I usually stick with the basics, 6-10 reps, increasing the weight each set and decreasing the reps. Just using the basic exercises, I prefer free weights, old school bodybuilding, LOL. I've been training for a long time and that seems to work the best for putting on mass.

kook
05-19-2003, 08:55 PM
beautiful!! how tall? do you feel you have the genes/metabolism to keep a decently low bf year round.. or another question is when not in contest shape what is your bf% at?

Skillz
05-19-2003, 09:46 PM
welcome to the board! def on top when it comes to the looks man, u got sum hella decent size...glad to hav u here
Skillz

Kayak_boy
05-19-2003, 11:06 PM
Welcome on board mate.

Which of the two guys are you??

You're both bloody huge!

steveo
05-19-2003, 11:54 PM
Guys check out his site.

http://naturalolympia.com/

Kayak_boy
05-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Thanks mate.

I know which is which now!!;)

Geez, he's one big dude for a natty, that's just awesome

WestyHeadbanger
05-20-2003, 05:38 AM
Welcome!!!

Yeah are u the big dude? or the really big dude?

W8_4_Me
05-20-2003, 05:50 AM
Awesome, awesome, AWESOME!

What a great addition to the board!

Natural_O
05-20-2003, 06:27 AM
Yes, in case you don't know me, I'm the shorter, smaller guy. It was funny because I was selling photos of myself that year at the Arnold Classic and I was sitting next to Greg Kovacs. Some people came up to me and said "Natural, what's that?". I replied that I am natural and Kovacs was supernatural.

Natural_O
05-20-2003, 06:30 AM
kook, as for my bodyfat, I definitely put some fat on during the off season but I avoid bulking up anymore. I watch my waist during the off season and make sure that it doesn't get more than 4 inches bigger than when I compete. I tried staying very lean before in the off season and I didn't feel like I made the gains I can make if I let myself eat a little more and get a little heavy in between contests. So, t o answer your question, I do bulk up but only a little in the off season.

icanrace
05-20-2003, 07:59 AM
Yes, pretty low volume. I do about 12 sets for my chest, back, legs and delts. Arms are about 6-9 sets, same with calves. Do you feel you benefit quite well doing thismany sets on certain body parts? What do you work in the same day? back, bi's etc? Thanks for your feedback. :p

Natural_O
05-20-2003, 08:18 AM
I train chest, triceps and calves on Mon, rest on Tues, legs and abs on Wed, rest on Thurs, delts, traps and calves on Fri, and back, biceps and some hams on Sat, rest on Sunday.

icanrace
05-20-2003, 08:20 AM
that sounds really good. Thanks and Welcome to WBB. Everyone here is great and you I'm sure will follow suit.

Relentless
05-20-2003, 08:21 AM
glad to have you here, john

you are an inspiration

icanrace
05-20-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Callahan
glad to have you here, john

you are an inspiration For sure!

aikigreg
05-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Wow! it's a pleasure to have you here. We'll all be bugging the ****e out of you shortly picking your brain! :lol:

steveo
05-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Yes, in case you don't know me, I'm the shorter, smaller guy. It was funny because I was selling photos of myself that year at the Arnold Classic and I was sitting next to Greg Kovacs. Some people came up to me and said "Natural, what's that?". I replied that I am natural and Kovacs was supernatural.

I've realized that the average person does not know that the big BBr's are using supernatural supplements. They think that they got that big off creatine. So when they hear natural they don't get it. I was trying to explain this to my Girlfriend and she didn't understand at first but now she knows. People are wierd.

I was checking your site and I have to say that your 2001 journal was awesome.

Livin Truth
05-20-2003, 03:57 PM
welcome..your huge for being natural man, but Kovacs make you look small lol, well hope you enjoy the board.

chris mason
05-20-2003, 04:20 PM
That seems like an odd comment, Kovacs would make just about anyone look small, drug induced or not.

I dislike "but" compliments, there are too often just veiled derogatory comments.

SquareHead
05-20-2003, 04:22 PM
Natural_O let me know if you need some help with traning and such... ok just kidding your friggin huge mo fo man. Great job I cant wait to get even close to that big.

Majestic
05-20-2003, 08:57 PM
I was selling photos of myself that year at the Arnold Classic and I was sitting next to Greg Kovacs. Some people came up to me and said "Natural, what's that?". I replied that I am natural and Kovacs was supernatural.

A very classy thing to say, at the drop of a hat, no less.:cool:

WestyHeadbanger
05-20-2003, 11:48 PM
Hey i hate to blow more steam up your toosh but your site is really inspiring and has made me decide to go on a major bulk. This is going to screw up my UNI touch footy (rugby league without tackling.)- The idea is to be lean and agile. Oh well...thanks for taking time out for a forum like this, it's good to hear from one of the big guns.

PS that picture of you at 15.....how the **** did you get that size at that age? Was that purely following Bruce Lees training regime? Was it really Bruce Lees actual routine or just a routine that claimed to be like Bruce Lees? What was involved in that routine, do you still use it?

Anyways thank you Mr Hansen.

Savannah
05-21-2003, 03:36 AM
Oh, that's cool having you here posting! Welcome!........
Question is, how do you know Mason?????

:p j/k Chris.

Praetorian
05-21-2003, 04:42 AM
welcome man!!

Black_Curtain
05-21-2003, 05:12 AM
Wow you do look good. May I ask why have you chosen the natural route instead of using some gear and earning a tons more money, a tons more publicity and be able to achieve a size you aren't gonna every achieve naturaly? (not that contest weight of 205lbs is something to be ashamed of lol )

Natural_O
05-21-2003, 06:35 AM
Thanks again for the warm welcome guys (and girls). Westy, as for my physique at 15, that was after one year of bodybuilding. I think I was training 6 days a week, each bodypart twice per week at the time. You know how it is as a beginner, I gained 20 pounds in the first year of training, from 135 to 155. Before I started bodybuilding, I was into the martial arts and lots of push-ups, sit-up, some running, etc. So, I was already in good shape before I started training.

Natural_O
05-21-2003, 06:44 AM
Black Curtain, I chose the natural route because I didn't want to have to take so many drugs to compete with the other guys. My goal when I was younger was to be a pro bodybuilder and be in the Weider magazines, etc. However, after several years of competing in the NPC and getting to the national level (Jr. Nationals in 1986 and 1989), I realized that the amount of drugs that were necessary to compete at that level were more than I wanted to mess with. I knew that if I was to become a pro bodybuilder, I would have to basically use the drugs on and off all year long because you are making money off of your physique at that point and everyone wants to see you huge all the time. To me, it wasn't worth the risk. I started competing in natural shows in 1991 and was pretty successful from the very beginning. I look back now and I'm so glad that I made the decision that I made. The pro level has gotten crazy with the drugs and the stuff the guys are using now is just nuts. There have been 3 pro bodybuilders already this year that have had to retire for health reasons (and these guys are still in their 30's!). I've been training since I was 14 and started competing at 16 and I'm still at it and I just turned 40 this year. If I would have taken all those drugs when I was in my 20's, I probably would have been finished a long time ago. Drug free bodybuilding is stress free bodybuilding. I don't have to worry about my health in the future because everything is natural and there won't be any unwelcome surprises as I get older.

chris mason
05-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Sav, he doesn't really know me, he posts at another board that I also frequent. I invited him to post here, that was about it.

ElPietro
05-21-2003, 08:35 AM
Welcome to WBB. I hope you post here frequently as you will be an awesome resource for the rest of us. It's great to see that at any age all it takes is some hard work to acheive great results. Seems like more and more kids are getting discouraged after a few months of small gains and immediately start looking for a magic pill...or amp.

Glad to have you here. :)

Behemoth
05-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Excellent pic compadre

ask
05-22-2003, 01:50 AM
Truly excellent. I can't even imagina how much discipline and hard work it takes to get there. You're an excellent role model for all of us young lifters!

Natural_O
05-22-2003, 05:54 AM
Thank You!

Black_Curtain
05-22-2003, 06:40 AM
Then why didn't you just use the Kevin L. method of staying clean and healthy, and adding mass before big contests?

While you were competing in the NPC shows were you using gear?

ask
05-22-2003, 08:59 AM
What exactly is the "Kevin L. method"? You mean how Levrone never bulks heavy, or what? Also read he starts heavy training 4 months before the competition.

Natural_O
05-22-2003, 12:46 PM
What Black Curtain means is that Levrone now usually stops training and taking drugs during the off season (for a few months) and then gets back on the drugs and trains balls out before the Olympia. Actually, that was what my game plan was when I was younger and hoping to make it to the pro level - just do the drugs 3 months before the show and stay off the rest of the time. Unfortunately, that;s not realistic. I was only about 205-210 when I was competing in national level shows. I would do a cycle when I was dieting (12 weeks before the show) to maintain my size and strength. I never did the drugs to get big and I was 230 pounds naturally at 21 years old. The stuff I did was pretty mild (Deca, Anavar and Primobolan) and I knew I would have to graduate to the heavier stuff and use more of it to be competitive on the national level and pro level. Kevin uses the drugs less now than he did as an amateur or when he first turned pro. He still uses them a few times a year though because he normally does the Arnold in March and the Olympia in the fall.

Black_Curtain
05-22-2003, 03:07 PM
tuttut I just realized I'm trying to affect a decision made long ago. Probably because I know I will never have the genetics to compete on any level and it seemed to me that you have wasted your awsome genetics.
But it ain't so when I re-think about it. You have been a role model and a proof you can DO it without the heavy gear usage.
Way to go and two thumbs up!

I'm hoping you will freqent the board so we can chat every once in a while!

Natural_O
05-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Thank you for those comments. I appreciate it and I will frequent the board as much as I can.

Kayak_boy
05-22-2003, 04:33 PM
So you have taken AAS then?

Natural_O
05-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Yes, when I was in my 20's, once per year for a 12 week period from 1985-90 (not counting 1988 because I didn't compete that year).

Maki Riddington
05-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Regardless of whether he has, does not matter. His accomplishments speak volumes for him.

Kayak_boy
05-22-2003, 07:44 PM
I agree, he looks fantastic. Some of his ab shots in particular are just brilliant.

I just asked 'cos I under the impression from some of the posts at the beginning of the thread that he was natural.

Geez, I'd love to look like he does.

Natural_O
05-22-2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the compliments again guys but just to clarify, I am natural. I started training at 14 years old and a skinny 135 pounds. By the time I was 21, I was 230 pounds (all natural). I used steroids 12 weeks before a show from 1985 to 1990. Since October of 1990, I have been completely natural. I didn't use the drugs to build my size, only to maintain it while I dieted for a contest. That is why I was easily able to make the transition to the natural shows. Obviously, if I knew where my career was going to go when I was younger, I never would have taken the drugs in the first place. There were no natural competitions in the 1980's but thankfully, that is no longer the case. Hope that clears things up. I've never hidden the fact that I did take steroids at one time but I really think that steroids are just like any other drug, they only work when you take them. I'm glad I had the foresight to avoid them while I was still building my body and waited until I was 230 pounds before ever using them.

chris mason
05-23-2003, 04:35 PM
He's 100% right in stating they only work while you use them (although the effects can last for several months, i.e. you won't lose all of the size for a long time after cessation if you keep training). I dabbled for 3 cycles in my early 20s and I can guarantee you that I would be bigger and stronger right now if I never had. They did not improve my potential. I long ago lost any size I gained from them.

Kayak_boy
05-23-2003, 10:48 PM
I beg to differ.

Now the last thing I'm wanna do Chris is start a flame, so please don't take anything I say out of context.

The way I see it, if you have ever taken AAS you are not natural. It's like sex, if you have it you're no longer a virgin. If I'm not in a position where I'm having sex regularly does that make me become a virgin again? I don't think so. Same way if I took AAS in the past well then I'm not a steriod virgin!!

And the last thing I want to do here is take from John's very impressive frame, I think he looks great and I proably like many of the guys on the board am very jealous of what he has achieved. I'd hope someday to look half as good as he does.

GonePostal
05-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Bad analogy. :(

Natural_O
05-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Yes, Kayak Boy, I would have to agree with GonePostal, that is a bad analogy. Having sex and losing your virginity is definitely different than doing steroids. Steroids provide you with greater amounts of the hormones responsible for increasing muscle mass. Once those greater amounts of hormones are gone (after you get off the drugs), those benefits that the drugs provided are also gone. Have you ever seen any of these pros or other bodybuilders who rely on the drugs when they get off the drugs? You can't even recognize them because they shrink up so much. If they relied on the drugs to build their body, when they stop taking the drugs, the muscle they built with those drugs also goes bye-bye. You don't get to keep any of it. If that was true, I would do a couple huge cycles and get off and stay at 240 pounds ripped for the rest of my life. As I said earlier, I made sure that I built myself up to 230 pounds before I even thought about taking any drugs. That is why I was able to make the transition over to drug-free bodybuilding with no problem. However, when I first started competing in natural shows, my contest weight was around 197. Now, I compete at 205-210. That is obviously not due to any former drug use. If it was, I would have been bigger when I first started competing in natural shows, not several years later. The only reason I am bigger now is because I have worked my tail off and learned more about nutrition and about my body. There are no short cuts. Any one who has done steroids in the past can tell you the same thing. They only work when you take them, not for the rest of your life.

ThreeD
05-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Well said John :) Great guns..keep the sweat running!!!

chris mason
05-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Kayak_boy
I beg to differ.

Now the last thing I'm wanna do Chris is start a flame, so please don't take anything I say out of context.

The way I see it, if you have ever taken AAS you are not natural. It's like sex, if you have it you're no longer a virgin. If I'm not in a position where I'm having sex regularly does that make me become a virgin again? I don't think so. Same way if I took AAS in the past well then I'm not a steriod virgin!!

And the last thing I want to do here is take from John's very impressive frame, I think he looks great and I proably like many of the guys on the board am very jealous of what he has achieved. I'd hope someday to look half as good as he does.

You are entitled to your opinion. To me, your opinion would only be valid if the drugs created some sort of lasting effect, which they don't.

Kayak_boy
05-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Fair enough, but in John's case he may not have been as big in shows if he didn't use AAS. He said he used cycles during his cutting phases to allow him to keep his gains.

And since then he would have built on the gains that were kept due to his cycles.

Personally I don't see that as "Natural", but as you said I'm entitled to my opinion.

Equally, you don't get to look like someone like John by training poorly and eating crap, obviously John knows what's he's at and his knowledge around here will be invaluable.

chris mason
05-24-2003, 03:45 PM
One more point here, he stated he hasn't used the drugs since 1990, he won the Natural O in 96 (or somewhere around there). That was his biggest show. The drugs no longer gave him any sort of edge. Your argument has no base.

Like I said, I have no problem with you expressing your opinion and I think you are doing it in the nicest way you can.

Kayak_boy
05-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Well I suppose we'll agree to disagree on this one Chris.

But the last thing I would want to do is take anything from an athlete like John, the guys is just awesome.

Escape01
05-25-2003, 04:46 PM
mason, anyone else: i am just curious about something - how long is the window after which a person may again be considered "natural"? dorian yates, for example, states that he no longer uses any AAS. now, would he be considered natural at this moment, or in a few more years from this moment? if at this moment, how long after he ceased his drug use is he considered natural? the exact moment at which he made the decision to no longer use AAS? one second after the decision? a minute? an hour? a week? etc. is there some sort of grace period?

chris mason
05-25-2003, 07:06 PM
That sounds like a bit of a loaded question, lol, but I will bite. Have you seen Yates lately? The Shadow is a shadow of his former self. I find it quite easy to believe he is clean these days (or at least just getting test therapy to maintain a normal test level).

Obviously there is not written in stone law as to when someone is to be considered natural, but it is equally self evident that one would be considered natural once the benefits of the drugs are no longer there. As individuals vary, this could take from months to years.

The_Brick
05-26-2003, 12:21 AM
Sex doesn't have any lasting effect either, unless of course your wife gets pregnant in which case her bf% will go up and you will lose LBM.

Teflon Siege
05-26-2003, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the website John, try to stay active and enjoy your stay!

:fart:

damn protein!

welcome!

AdamGberg
06-25-2003, 02:48 PM
bump, you gonna start posting here some more john? you have any competitions comming up? btw, how old...errr...young are you?

Natural_O
06-25-2003, 03:18 PM
Adam, I'll try and post as much as I can. I just signed a contract to write a book for a publishing company so alot of my spare time will be spent hitting the keyboard. I'm planning on entering the Natural Olympia in November and the Natural Universe 2 weeks after that. Maybe I can post some progress photos as I diet down for the show.

SoulOfKoRea
06-25-2003, 04:32 PM
It's an honor to have you posting.

AdamGberg
06-25-2003, 06:29 PM
thanks for your quick reply, hopefully they will show it on ESPN2...you could be like those boxers and put WBB.com on your undies! ;)

best of luck with the book...is it gonna be an autobiography or something to deal with training/diet...or a combo of both?

Natural_O
06-25-2003, 07:22 PM
Adam, it's going to be all about bodybuilding for the drug free bodybuilder. I'm going to talk about training, diet and how to get ready for a competition. Should be out this time next year.

VitalRemains
06-25-2003, 11:24 PM
Welcome! It really is an honor to have you posting here. Seeing your pics have given me hope of getting big naturally.

Saint Patrick
06-26-2003, 12:23 AM
I've never bought a bodybuilding book before, but I think I'll be buying yours when it comes out.

I checked out your site, it's nice to see someone up on stage without GH gut or lotsa veins popping out. It's a refreshing change of pace to see someone who's in your shape without being juiced to the gills.

Tank23
07-22-2003, 02:33 AM
John, I totally agree with everyone else, you look great!

I checked out your site too, and you have the exact same role models as myself (arnie and bruce lee), which is nice to know :)

Danzig
07-22-2003, 04:39 PM
Hi John!
You've really given me the inspiration to stay natural!
The fact that gains from steroids don't last keeps me away from it.
To use it for 20-30 years and get serious health problems from it is not an option for me.
No muscles in the world are worth the years you may take from your lifetime.
Thanks man! Really nice to see you posting here by the way..!

Natural_O
07-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Good choice Danzig! Stay natural and everything you develop will be yours to keep!!

JD77
08-05-2003, 01:57 AM
Good to have you here John. Like others have said, it's great to see someone have such success without performance enhancers.

mikey4402
08-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by JD77
Good to have you here John. Like others have said, it's great to see someone have such success without performance enhancers.
word!!! welcome to the board!!! i hope we all can learn alot from you:strong: :strong: :strong: