PDA

View Full Version : how many calories...ratio?

Gettingthere
05-19-2003, 07:44 PM
I am 6'1 182 lbs. Like most dudes I want to put on some more mucsle, but I don't want to put on the fat. Right now my abs are visible but I'd to have "cuts" I have a good workout routine, however I would like to know some particulars regarding diet. First off, how many calories does it take to create one pound of lean mucsle? Secondly what is the proper ratio in grams of carbs, fats and protein is adequate? Also what about portions, I know if i eat to much my body will store the excess as fat. So how many calories per meal should i eat......i know this a pretty hefty line of questions but if anyone has a good answer that would be great it would probably be helping out a bunch of others that have the exact same question. Thanks all

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 08:13 PM
i believe 3500 caloies equals one pound

the ratio totally depends on the person. most people try somthing in the range (p/c/f) of a 40/40/20 to a 30/50/20. usually in-between there somewhere.

you need to find your maintenance calories. for example: your BW * 15 would give you a rough estimate. then just try to spread out the calories thoughout the day in 5 to 8 meals.

Ace
05-19-2003, 09:22 PM
I am going to give the 40/30/30 a try. You could just get your maintenance cals in and then subtract 500 from that and make that your daily caloric intake.

bradley
05-20-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Gettingthere
First off, how many calories does it take to create one pound of lean mucsle?

3500 calories

Secondly what is the proper ratio in grams of carbs, fats and protein is adequate? Also what about portions, I know if i eat to much my body will store the excess as fat. So how many calories per meal should i eat......

The ratios are really not that important. THe most important things are adequate protein and EFA's in your diet. Get 1g of protein per lb of bw and then approximately 25-30% of your calories from fat. The 25-30% should mostly be from healthy fat sources like fish oil, olive oil, nuts, natty pb, etc. The rest of your daily cals can come from low GI carbs, except postworkout in which high GI carbs should be used.

To lose weight you need to take in less calories than you are bunring. Basically creating a calorie deficit at the end of the day. The easiest way to figure out how many cals you are eating is to slowly reduce cals in small increments each week until you are losing about a pound a week. You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track cals.

For example, if you are currently maintaining your weight at 2500 cals per day then you should drop cals by a small amount (200 cals or so). That would put you at 2300 cals for the next week. At the end of each week weigh yourself (same time each week, morning would be the best IMO) and see if you have lost any weight. Continue this process until you are losing the desired amount each week.

The formulas don't really take into account things like LBM, activity level, etc. which make them pretty unreliable. Although they can give you a rough estimate.

You can divide your total calories for the day over 5-6 meals per day.

Ironman8
05-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Gettingthere, what's your activity level like? For example, if you do alot of cardio or something, I would suggest a 30/40/30 (p,c,f) ratio.

bradley
05-20-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Gettingthere, what's your activity level like? For example, if you do alot of cardio or something, I would suggest a 30/40/30 (p,c,f) ratio.

How did you come up with this ratio? Just out of curiosity?

heathj
05-20-2003, 12:33 PM
I would be curious as to where he got that information also. Ironman, how do you feel that is the best ratio if you are doing cardio? What about different types of cardio, or if you are cutting verses bulking?

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 05:49 PM
i'd be interested to know as well...

Ironman8
05-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Well, that was really a rough sketch breakdown. I was saying that if you do alot of cardio, most of your calories should be coming from carbs.

heathj
05-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Thanks bradley ;)

Why, Ironman?