PDA

View Full Version : How do you take your flax oil?

TheGimp
05-20-2003, 08:49 AM
Seeing as a number of ppl swear by the stuff I went out and got myself some flax oil. I could only find stuff that seemed geared towards supplementation (small bottles, take one teaspoon daily, do not exceed stated dose). Is that wat you guys do? Maybe I got the wrong impression but I was expecting to be able to drizzle it over salads, potatoes etc. Although I know it's not suitable for frying or such like.

Ace
05-20-2003, 09:00 AM
I take 1 tbsp 3 times daily if I can. It tastes like **** so I have to have something to wash it down with.

BobbyRS
05-20-2003, 09:29 AM
Although I don't take it anymore, I used to add it to my protein shakes. I usually took 2-3 tsp a day. That was 2-3 times the recommended amount. Usually the recommendations are what people should at least be getting a day. If working out or extreme activity levels are involved in your lifestyle (like myself), then I would end up taking twice the regular amount because of it. Bodybuilders tend to need more then just what is recommended for the average person who doesn't work out.

bradley
05-20-2003, 01:41 PM
If you are trying to increase the amount of omega 3 fats in your diet then I think fish oil is a better choice than flax oil.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10669&highlight=flax+oil

TheGimp
05-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by bradley
If you are trying to increase the amount of omega 3 fats in your diet then I think fish oil is a better choice than flax oil.

I'm vegetarian :(

*waits for the onslaught*

BobbyRS
05-20-2003, 02:05 PM
How about something like this to make sure you get your omega 3 efa's:

http://www11.netrition.com/now_super_epa_page.html

or what I use:

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/productdetail.phtml?prodid=10025836

You might want to read up on the the topic of why flax is a poor source of omega 3's here:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10669&highlight=fish+oil

Ironman8
05-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by TheGimp

I'm vegetarian :(

*waits for the onslaught*

Don't worry about that. There's several vegans on this board, and we don't wail on them ;)

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 05:50 PM
answering your question about how to take it:

i usualy mix it in with an MRP, or i just slup down a tbsp of it and chase it down with some water.

galileo
05-20-2003, 06:15 PM
My friend is from India where just about everyone is a vegetarian. She took fish oil when she was little. No one told on her.

Ironman8
05-20-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by galileo
No one told on her.

LOL! But, alot people are strict these days.

paisano
05-20-2003, 06:36 PM
I add ground flax seed to my oatmeal. I can hardly taste the flax seed.

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 07:19 PM
do you do it after heating the oatmeal? or before? i know ive heard not to heat the flaxseed OIL, but that might not be the case for the ground flaxseeds. anyone know for sure?

paisano
05-20-2003, 07:37 PM
I don't heat the flax seed or the oatmeal. My usual breakfast is skim milk mixed with vanilla flavored whey or egg protein powder, uncooked oatmeal and about 1 heaping Tbs flax seed. I'll sometimes add a sliced banana. I know it sounds weird eating uncooked oatmeal, but it saves time and I got used to eating it this way.

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by paisano
I know it sounds weird eating uncooked oatmeal, but it saves time and I got used to eating it this way.

Alot of people put raw oats in their protein shake.

paisano
05-21-2003, 10:35 AM
That's true. I do that as well. It tastes better blended in a protein shake. I guess I'm not so weird after all. :evillaugh

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by paisano
That's true. I do that as well. It tastes better blended in a protein shake. I guess I'm not so weird after all. :evillaugh

Raw oats is also pretty good by itself. Just warm it up with your salivia :D

wibble
05-21-2003, 06:22 PM
I find Orange Juice covers the taste of flax pretty well. I just drink my morning OJ until theres like 2 mouthfuls left and dump in my flax and down it.

Godson
06-17-2003, 05:47 PM
i am not sure about taking flax with OJ...seems to me that insulin spike caused from the OJ is not what you want when you have the flax going thru your gut...

i shoot it straight out of the tablespoon...no chaser no nothing

JuniorMint6669
06-18-2003, 01:49 AM
My efa mix tastes kind of nutty... not really a bad taste... so i put it on my broccoli and season with pepper and cayan... mmmm tastes like YUM

bradley
06-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Godson
i am not sure about taking flax with OJ...seems to me that insulin spike caused from the OJ is not what you want when you have the flax going thru your gut...

i shoot it straight out of the tablespoon...no chaser no nothing

I would not put much stock in the whole food combining theory.

bradley
06-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
My efa mix tastes kind of nutty... not really a bad taste... so i put it on my broccoli and season with pepper and cayan... mmmm tastes like YUM

Flax is very sensitive to heat and light so I would not recommend adding it to any food that is warm or hot.

hngacurv
06-18-2003, 04:36 PM
I've tried it mixed with my shakes, but it ruins the taste of them. IMHO. Now I just pour the spoonful and have at it.

GQ79
06-22-2003, 03:04 AM
i like 2 inject flax oil in2 my delts...nah but seriously i just pick the bottle up and take a gulp...put it back in fridge and continue what i was doin be4 hand:)

vvv
02-15-2005, 10:01 AM
So, whats the best time to take flax oil with breakfasst or with dinner or lunch?

Also, this morning I took a table spoon of flax oil straight and immediately ate some warm-hot oatmeal. I kno how sensitive flax oil is to heat. So i prolly did the wrong thing by eating warm oatmeal rite after flax.

From now on I will take flax oil (about 1 tablespoon) as my last thing at dinner with some juice or water. Does this sound ok or should I have flax oil with breakfast?

thanks in advance

spencerjrus
02-15-2005, 12:29 PM
So, whats the best time to take flax oil with breakfasst or with dinner or lunch?

Also, this morning I took a table spoon of flax oil straight and immediately ate some warm-hot oatmeal. I kno how sensitive flax oil is to heat. So i prolly did the wrong thing by eating warm oatmeal rite after flax.

From now on I will take flax oil (about 1 tablespoon) as my last thing at dinner with some juice or water. Does this sound ok or should I have flax oil with breakfast?

thanks in advance

Moderate temperature changes won't hurt flax all that much, it's meant to be kept under 45 degrees or something but obviously thats not going to be possible inside your stomach.

TheGimp
02-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Well this thread is back from the dead. I now take a couple of teaspoons of flax oil with my prebed casein shake.

Not Not Brian
02-23-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm curious if there's that much of a difference between the liquid and capsule form.

TheGimp
02-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Probably no difference, but it's a lot easier to take a tablespoon of oil (~15ml) than 15 capsules.

Not Not Brian
02-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Probably no difference, but it's a lot easier to take a tablespoon of oil (~15ml) than 15 capsules.

O

TheSicilian
02-23-2005, 10:55 PM
I was told to take a teaspoon of flax seed oil just before bed, it helps with your metabolism as you sleep, good for diet time.