PDA

View Full Version : cals when cutting...

NO2
05-20-2003, 09:05 AM
how many cals r good when cutting?? i herd 1400 to 1700???
is that true??? even for someone my size??

my cals have dropped alot from winter
winter: 2700 to 3000 cals
i also was eating lots of carbs :(

now, spring and summer:
not sure, havent really calculated yet.. but i would say about
2000 and under...
i really want to cut my cals and carbs to loose some gut weight

bradley
05-20-2003, 09:09 AM
To lose weight you need to take in less calories than you are bunring. Basically creating a calorie deficit at the end of the day. The easiest way to figure out how many cals you are eating is to slowly reduce cals in small increments each week until you are losing about a pound a week. You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track cals.

For example, if you are currently maintaining your weight at 2500 cals per day then you should drop cals by a small amount (200 cals or so). That would put you at 2300 cals for the next week. At the end of each week weigh yourself (same time each week, morning would be the best IMO) and see if you have lost any weight. Continue this process until you are losing the desired amount each week.

The formulas don't really take into account things like LBM, activity level, etc. which make them pretty unreliable. Although they can give you a rough estimate.

I posted this in another thread which should be of some help.

bradley
05-20-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by NO2
how many cals r good when cutting?? i herd 1400 to 1700???
is that true??? even for someone my size??

There are no set calorie amounts. The total will vary from person to person, depending on size, activity level, metabolism, etc.

NO2
05-20-2003, 09:17 AM
brad u are one smart low fat cookie

BobbyRS
05-20-2003, 09:22 AM
That seems like a very low number for someone your size. What bradley said is a good safe way to go about it. A decient rule of thumb to try is:

Cutting = BW X 10-12 Calories per Pound
Maintenance = BW X 15 Calories per Pound
Bulking = BW X 16-18 Calories per Pound

You can start somewhere in there. You will have to expieremnet to find out what works best for you. Remeber there are other factors, like activity level, LBM (what bradley mentioned) that will also effect the amount of calories you burn a day. Which these formulas don't take in to account.