PDA

View Full Version : Good Carb Goal?

clvmike19
05-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Im bulking right now and weigh 148lbs. I try to eat about 3800-3900 cals a day and was wondering what a good goal for carbs in a day wpuld be for me?

Backdraft
05-20-2003, 02:54 PM
A book I've been reading, "Power Eating", says 8 grams per kilogram of body weight. 148 lbs. divided by 2.2 gives you your weight in kilograms (67.27 kg). Multiply that by 8 and that gives you 538 grams of carbs per day. That seems high because for me it is something like 700 grams a day and I think that's too much for me right now. I guess during the winter when I don't care so much about my waistline it's OK.

clvmike19
05-20-2003, 03:02 PM
wow! Yesterday I ate just over 4000 cal and got 488g of carbs. I dont think my body could handle much more lol. Then again it was a rest day so I wasnt as hungry.

Anyhow thanks for the research and advice. Its much appreciated!

bradley
05-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by clvmike19
Im bulking right now and weigh 148lbs. I try to eat about 3800-3900 cals a day and was wondering what a good goal for carbs in a day wpuld be for me?

There is no set amount. Just make sure you are getting adequate protein and EFA's in your diet and then let the rest of your cals come in the form of carbohydrates.

Some people prefer a higher carb diet while others prefer more fat. Just find out what works best for you, and I really don't think it matters that much as long as you are getting sufficient calories to gain weight along with enough protein and EFA's.

Ironman8
05-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Just some info: try to center carbs around your workout ;)

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Just some info: try to center carbs around your workout ;)

why would you want to do that? the only reason you'd do that IMO is if you are on a TKD.

i have the most amount of carbs for breakfast...
and then 2nd most in my PWO shake...

for my 7 meals it basically goes like this

#1: High carbs
#2: Med carbs
#3: Med carbs
#4: Med carbs
#5: (post-workout) High carbs
#6: Low carbs
#7: Low carbs

IMO i think the sources of your carbs are the important thing.

try getting your carbs from low GI sources, like: brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes/yams, ww bread, ww pasta, and then as you get further into the day (like my meal #6 and #7) i switch to fibrous carbs like lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, etc.

bradley
05-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
why would you want to do that?

I think it is important to center your carbs around training because this is when your body needs them the most, i.e. glycogen replenishment.

Although I think when you are cutting this would be more important because your overall carb intake for the day would be lower so most of your carbs should be centered around training.

then as you get further into the day (like my meal #6 and #7) i switch to fibrous carbs like lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, etc.

What would be the difference in eating fibrous carbs for lunch and then low GI carbs for dinner? You are still taking in the same amount of calories.

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by bradley
What would be the difference in eating fibrous carbs for lunch and then low GI carbs for dinner? You are still taking in the same amount of calories.

well, its just more of a personal thing. at least for me. i tend to put on fat quite easily. so i usually try to stick to fibrous veggies like broccoli, celery, etc. latre in the day becuase they dont contain as many carbs as say a sweet potato. i just feel more comfortable gradually lowering my carb intake as i get closer to the end of the day. like i said, it MAY NOT make a difference, but its just a thing of mine.

BobbyRS
05-21-2003, 07:32 AM

For some people, depending on what the foods are, the higher fiber foods they choose may make them feel fuller longer or just less likely to cheat or help kick there cravings. Plus, it may offer them some sort of mental stability to help stay on track. But like you said, when it comes down to it, there isn't going to be much difference because of it being the same amount of calories, that is of course if they manage to eat the same foods. If someone has a system to the way they are doing it and it is working, they should most likely keep doing it until it stops working or they become ready themselves to make a change. Key word - working:)

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 07:57 AM
I try to get most of my carbs at breakfast, since I know I'll burn it off when I'm walking from class to class at school. I try to get most of my protein and fat at the end of the day, so it'll stay in my stomach during the night.

bradley
05-21-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I try to get most of my carbs at breakfast, since I know I'll burn it off when I'm walking from class to class at school. I try to get most of my protein and fat at the end of the day, so it'll stay in my stomach during the night.

This is the point I am trying to make. The whole "burning off" concept. You are still eating the same amount of calories each day whether you eat the carbs at night or in the morning. Eating slow digesting foods like fat and protein at night is a good strategy IMO since you will be going so long without eating due to sleeping.

Originally posted by BobbyRS
For some people, depending on what the foods are, the higher fiber foods they choose may make them feel fuller longer or just less likely to cheat or help kick there cravings. Plus, it may offer them some sort of mental stability to help stay on track. But like you said, when it comes down to it, there isn't going to be much difference because of it being the same amount of calories, that is of course if they manage to eat the same foods. If someone has a system to the way they are doing it and it is working, they should most likely keep doing it until it stops working or they become ready themselves to make a change. Key word - working

I am well aware that fiber can help keep you full longer, but I was just trying to point out that there is no benefit to tapering your carbs as far as overall weight loss is concerned.