PDA

View Full Version : Just starting, need diet help!

ppowell
05-20-2003, 08:35 PM
My name is Paul. I'm 31 years old and just getting back into lifting.
Goal : Real simple, gain weight
I am 6' 162 lb very low bodyfat, echtomorph I belive, (however you spell it.)
I have trouble gaining weight in the past. I lifted quite a bit 6 years ago and got up to 174 but that's tops. I use to be very active, playing every sport that was in season and racing motorcycles on the weekend. I know have 2 kids so all of that is slowing down considerably. I have a gym in my house so I decided to begin pursuing size again, especially since I can do it most any time. I have just started the Body for Life workout, 3 days a week, half body each day.

I have browsed the threads and see a consistent theme.
Eat and Lift

My questions are:
How much should I be eating? I've heard the 6 meals a day, how many cal. ea?
Any suggested diets?

Is 3 day a week workouts sufficient?

I am drinking a myoplex (300 cal.) ea. night before bed. Is that enough? I almost purchased NO2 but read some info on the threads and decided not to. What supplements should I be utilizing?

I am going to continue searching threads but I just wanted a little map to begin with.

Thanks,
Paul

Ace
05-20-2003, 09:15 PM
1. Take your mainteance cals (body weight X 15) and add 500 cals to that. Start taking in that many cals a day. If you don't see an increase in weight up it another 500 cals and so on.

2. Invest in a good protein supplement. I suggest EAS simply whey because it is cheap and tastes good, but it really doesn't matter.

3. Make sure you get your pwo (post workout shake) in after your workouts. This should include your protein, dextrose and maltodextrin.

4. A 3 day split would be sufficient, but it all depends on what muscle groups you work each day. What muscle groups will you be doing each day?

There is so much more that needs to be told, but that would take awhile. ;)

RoidRage
05-20-2003, 09:44 PM
S%IT!! eat your BW times 20 to gain weight since your an ectomorph thats 3240 calories a day, hell add 500 on top of that.

Ace
05-20-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by RoidRage
S%IT!! eat your BW times 20 to gain weight since your an ectomorph thats 3240 calories a day, hell add 500 on top of that. I guess you could just go crazy and eat a ****load of food. I am sure that you can gain weight if you tried.

RoidRage
05-20-2003, 10:11 PM
if he's an ectomorph he's not going to be gaining much fat. One of my buddies on this board was a mesomorph and was taking in around 4G a day and gained muscle and lost fat.

bradley
05-21-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by ppowell
How much should I be eating? I've heard the 6 meals a day, how many cal. ea?
Any suggested diets?

Is 3 day a week workouts sufficient?

Here is something that I posted in another thread that should help you. Welcome to WBB and I see you are from Dothan, down there in LA (lower Alabama;))

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) 25-30% of daily calories should come from fat (Essential fatty
acids making up most of this total)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

5) Spread your daily calories out over 5-6 smaller meals per day instead of 3 larger meals.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, hemp oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly increase cals in small increments until you are gaining the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 2000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to increase cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2300 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have gained (if any). Repeat this process until you are gaining about .5-1 lb per week. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

As far as routines go you might want to check out one of the WBB routines on the main page. The following site has a list of exercise illustrations that might be helpful as well www.exrx.net

There is a lot of information in previous threads as well. Run some searches and you will find a lot of answers to your questions.

This thread may also be of some help.
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/sho...ht=grocery+list

As far as supplements go I really don't think you need much other than maybe a whey protein supp, multi-vitamin, and maybe some dextrose to add to your postworkout shake. These supplements I listed are by no means necessary but I do think they are helpful.

I wouldn't put much stock into the bw*15 or bw*20 formulas for daily caloric intake. They do not take into account metabolism, LBM, activity level, etc. Just keep adding cals each week until you are gaining at a slow rate (about .5-1lb per week).

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 04:38 AM
maybe someone should make that earlier thread a sticky bradley. or at least post the info in a thread and make it a sticky. that's some very useful info. and it seems like you've constantly been putting it in diet threads. ;)

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Ace
I guess you could just go crazy and eat a ****load of food. I am sure that you can gain weight if you tried.

IMO, he should stick to bulking clean, and not going all out.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 07:53 AM
S%IT!! eat your BW times 20 to gain weight since your an ectomorph thats 3240 calories a day, hell add 500 on top of that.

remember, he isnt THAT young anymore. as you get older, your metabolism does slow down a little. IMO try 20*BW for a bit, and see if you are gaining at a good rate with that. if not, then up the calories a bit

bradley
05-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

remember, he isnt THAT young anymore. as you get older, your metabolism does slow down a little. IMO try 20*BW for a bit, and see if you are gaining at a good rate with that. if not, then up the calories a bit

I don't see the reasoning behind just jumping into a high calorie diet. Just take the calorie level you are eating at now and slowly increase cals. What is the point of eating at 20*bw and then finding out that you are eating too many calories because you began adding bf too fast. I personally would rather start at a lower calorie intake and then increase it over time, which would be easier to judge if you are gaining mainly LBM.

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 05:28 PM
I also suggest experimenting with your calories. Like, starting at around 2,500 calories, and decrease until you are losing a pound per week.

bradley
05-22-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I also suggest experimenting with your calories. Like, starting at around 2,500 calories, and decrease until you are losing a pound per week.

Why would he do that when he is trying to gain weight?

Even if he was trying to lose weight why would you start at 2500 cals? Where did you get that number?

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 04:35 AM
lol bradley, what would you recommend be a good number to start with? just a rough estimate like 15*BW or somthing to start-out?

bradley
05-22-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
lol bradley, what would you recommend be a good number to start with? just a rough estimate like 15*BW or somthing to start-out?

I think he should start out at whatever calorie level he is currently eating at. Most people take in roughly the same amount of calories each day and that is as good a place as any to start IMO. Just plug your current diet into fitday.com and then go from there.

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Why would he do that when he is trying to gain weight?

Even if he was trying to lose weight why would you start at 2500 cals? Where did you get that number?

Oops, sorry about that. But, would it be good if he experiments with his calories, but increase it until he does gain weight?

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8

Oops, sorry about that. But, would it be good if he experiments with his calories, but increase it until he does gain weight?

what would be the need to experiment with calories if all he needs to do is track what he is eating like on fitday.com, and find out how much he IS eating, and whether or not he is gaining/losing weight on that amount, and then increase it or decrease it from there.

RoidRage
05-22-2003, 09:18 AM
Or you could take in 2300 calories and maintain. :rolleyes:

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Or you could take in 2300 calories and maintain. :rolleyes:

how do you know he would maintain weight @ 2300 calories? how do you figure?

NO2
05-22-2003, 05:29 PM
hi ppowell...well i know alot bout agining what..look at my stats on the bottom :D

well you need to go buy some protien powder or weight gain..
and u need to start eating about 5 to 6 times a day..

of the protien.. its suggested that you tahe 1g of protien per body wieght
so i your like me and wieght about 240 youll have to take at least 240 to 280 grams of protien a day..

its simple really...
eat alot
eat healthy
eat protien
and gain weight
oh and go to the gym...

NO2
05-22-2003, 05:31 PM
i made some errors i see in my spelling
the first sentence suposed to be:

well i know alot about gaining weight

damn keyboard...:P

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 05:41 PM
There's a little thing called edit NO2 :)

And Ghetto, you're right. When I bulked, I experimented with my calories until I gained weight. I didn't want to eat to much becuase of the fear of gaining more fat that muscle, but I just wanted to bulk moderately. But, I guess people are different :)

ppowell
05-22-2003, 08:48 PM
thanks for the help.

ppowell
05-22-2003, 08:48 PM
What about cytovol? What is the benefit?

NO2
05-23-2003, 12:05 AM
made by eas???
This great-tasting drink broadens the Cell-Volumizing® focus way beyond the amino acids glutamine and taurine. Now with the addition of L-alanine, glycine, and inositol, hard-training athletes may be able to increase cell volume and produce an optimal cellular environment for new muscle growth.

well i guess it might be ok.. your best bet is to stick with protien..trust me i know..

yes i tried no2 for a bit and its not that great, i only gained about 3 or 4 pounds of perminent muscle.. its to expensive....

at $130 cdn for an 18 day supply(for me at 10 pills a day due to body wieght)

u have to stack it with creatine for maximus results

tooo expensive.. u dont need no2
were do u live...canada or states???

ppowell
05-23-2003, 06:56 AM
States, but it is still expensive. 80$ american for 270 pills. they're running a special right now and giving the books away online. Seems like the truth outthere is to eat and lift and your body will take care of everything else. Thanks

bradley
05-23-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by ppowell
States, but it is still expensive. 80$ american for 270 pills. they're running a special right now and giving the books away online. Seems like the truth outthere is to eat and lift and your body will take care of everything else. Thanks

Save your $$'s

GhettoSmurf
05-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Save your $$'s

i agree, there are much better things you could spend your money on.