PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting fat...

Sootah
05-21-2003, 12:58 AM
I've been lifting for several months now, and have been gaining weight (as expected). I've never had the best diet, most of the time I don't take in enough calories. But lately I haven't really had time for the gym, and eating like I used to (which, as I said, isn't nearly enough) I swear my gut is getting bigger.

Did my metabolism change to adjust for my training regimend, and now that I'm not expending all that energy I'm fattening up?

Damnit. I almost had abs too.

For he who has no time. How do I drop the weight? I can't really feasibly eat much less. (I'm at 5'11" 155 lbs right now, so I'm not actually FAT, just pudging up)

lazyman79
05-21-2003, 02:26 AM
Well for one at 5'11 and 155 pounds I would not be worried about fat, but that is just my opinion. I don’t know why you may be getting a gut, but I can tell you that a change in your activity level can play a big role with your metabolism. Like you said yourself it might have changed due to your training. It can slow down or speed up depending on what you do. Increase activity level and it gets faster, sit on you butt and it gets slower. If your activity level is lower your body might not be using up all the other calories like it once had when you where working out. Plus diet is (extremely) important. For example you may still be taking in the same amount of calories before you started working out, but what kinds of foods where they before and after. You may not realize it but you might be eating even unhealthier than before (Just a thought). Take a look at what you eat as well as your current training and activity level. And if you are really serious about losing weight especially at your height and weight try cardio as well. It is the best natural way to lose fat. Hope this helps…

bradley
05-21-2003, 02:56 AM
I would imagine that if you kept eating at the same calorie level that caused you to increase LBM without training then you would gain weight. Your activity level has changed but your calorie intake has not so the calories have to go somewhere, and in your case it sounds as though they are being stored as fat.

I agree with lazyman that at 5'11 I wouldn't really be considering losing weight. Just get back in the gym and start training again. I am sure that this would help and if you still think you need to cut then just decrease your cals a little each week until you are losing a small amount of weight each week.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 04:40 AM
what does your current diet look like? maybe we can find some things that you could change around.

mindburnt
05-21-2003, 05:41 AM
its amazing how many bodybuilders dont do cardio. the ones who dont almost always have no abs whatsoever. i think abs are the most stubborn part of the body. do more cardio and all will be well.

BobbyRS
05-21-2003, 06:46 AM
its amazing how many bodybuilders dont do cardio. the ones who dont almost always have no abs whatsoever. i think abs are the most stubborn part of the body. do more cardio and all will be well.

I agree and disagree :). In order for your abs to show, I feel you have to reach a certain amount of body fat. What amount of body fat for them to show can be different for everyone. For me I can begin to see a shadow of them at 10%bf. At 8%bf they come in pretty good.

Cardio can be a great at helping in lowering body fat. Cardio was a great way for me to add a little kick start to my day when my main goal was to lower body fat. With the help of Cardio, I was able to go from 18% to 8%. Now that I have reached my desired goal for body fat, I do not do Cardio anymore. Mainly because my body fat and weight will fluctuate within a range that I allow. I don't let myself get to such a high point of body fat to where they disappear. Plus I work them out more and I have begun to see them grow. Now that they are getting bigger, I can begin to see them at 12%bf and they show pretty good at 10%bf, and are pretty cut at 8%bf.

Now, if for whatever reason, my body fat would ever reach the upper teens again, I then would begin doing cardio again to help lower my body fat faster as opposed to not doing it all.

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 06:52 AM
You don't have to do cardio to lose fat. You have to be at a calorie deficit at the end of the day.

BobbyRS
05-21-2003, 06:55 AM
You don't have to do cardio to lose fat. You have to be at a calorie deficit at the end of the day.

Yes I know:

Cardio can be a great at helping in lowering body fat.