PDA

View Full Version : Flax is the worst tasting stuff ever!

Ace
05-21-2003, 06:45 AM
I have been taking flax by itself and then just washing it down with something. I can't even take that anymore so I tried to put a tbsp in my protein shake this morning and I could tell that the flax was in it and it made the shake taste horrible! Flax is like that stuff that you threw up on one time or another and now you can't even stand the taste anymore! LOL

BobbyRS
05-21-2003, 06:50 AM
I actually like the taste of my shake when I add my fat oils. :) I do remember it being bad tasting when I first began to take it too, but I took it for so long I can't really remember how bad it did taste. I got used to it. Of course my fish/olive oil combo now does taste better then the flax/olive oil combo.

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 06:54 AM
I didn't like it before, but I reminded myself it's good for me.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 07:46 AM
what else was in your shake?

i usually made my shakes with:
1 Cup Oatmeal
1 Scoop Whey
1 TBSP Flax
1.5-2 Cups Water
Packet of Splenda.

try giving that a shot.

Ace
05-21-2003, 08:05 AM
It was just my protein and flax. I am on the TKD so I can't have the oatmeal, but I may try some splenda.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 08:15 AM
yeah if it was just the protein and flax i can see how it might not taste to good. try the splenda and see it that helps at all.

bradley
05-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Why not use fish oil instead of the flax? Fish oil would be a better source of omega 3 fats, and if you are not using the flax for that then I would just switch to olive oil. There is no need to take flax IMO.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 08:46 AM
brad do you take fish oil? or fish oil tabs?

i mean, dont you need to pop quite a few tabs to have the same effect as say a TBSP of oil?

bradley
05-21-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
brad do you take fish oil? or fish oil tabs?

i mean, dont you need to pop quite a few tabs to have the same effect as say a TBSP of oil?

Yes you would, but it is also easier to split up the caps between your meals and not have to fool with taking oils at every meal. I have seen most people recommend 6-8g of fish oil per day. Plus the caps don't have any taste, but they can cause some indigestion if you are not used to them. At least in some people.

BobbyRS
05-21-2003, 08:53 AM
I use the oil here:

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/productdetail.phtml?prodid=10025836

500mg DHA and 800mg EPA in one tsp. Haven't been able to find any better. Plus it has a lemon extract to make it taste good even on it's own.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 10:30 AM
also, what type of fish oil do you get? is it just plain "fish oil"? or is it somthing like "cod-liver oil"?

Y2A
05-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Plus the caps don't have any taste, but they can cause some indigestion if you are not used to them. At least in some people.

Yes indeed! And the taste you get back with the indigestion is RANCID... But you get used to them after a few days and it doesnt do that anymore (for me, anyway) :D

Silverback
05-21-2003, 11:44 AM
You think flax is bad? try cod liver oil, makes you wanna puke big style!!!#

bradley
05-21-2003, 01:19 PM
also, what type of fish oil do you get? is it just plain "fish oil"? or is it somthing like "cod-liver oil"?

You can get the cod liver oil which comes in a bottle and you have to measure it using a tablespoon, teaspoon, etc. I think the fish oil caps are more convenient. The caps are usually called something like omega-3 fish oil caps or something like that, and most come in 1g capsules that contain 120mg DHA and 180mg EPA.

restless
05-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Deodorized cod liver oil tastes Ok. Mine tastes like lemon and is completely painless.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by bradley

You can get the cod liver oil which comes in a bottle and you have to measure it using a tablespoon, teaspoon, etc. I think the fish oil caps are more convenient. The caps are usually called something like omega-3 fish oil caps or something like that, and most come in 1g capsules that contain 120mg DHA and 180mg EPA.

yeah thats the prob for me. the caps are just 1g each. which isnt near that much for a tablespoon of the liquid. exactly how many caps do you take a day ?

Silverback
05-21-2003, 03:05 PM
I take 2 caps a day, but i also have a couple of spoonfuls or cans of makeral/sardines which are superb substitutes especially as you getting nice protein aswell, with negiable carbs, depending if you get them in sauce.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 03:29 PM
so in a way, if i would get fish oil caps, it would be mainly for the purpose of getting some omega-3 EFA's. not really just to help increase my fat intake? becuase i mean:

i aim for about 75-85g of fat a day. and 1 cap is like 1g. i eat pretty cleanly, where i get most of my fat from natural peanut butter, and a whole egg. then w/e is in the chicken and oatmeal, etc.

and i mean, im taking like 3-5 TBSP. of natty PB a day just to help get enough fat. and i mean i would have to take like about 10 caps just to get an equivalent of 1 TBSP of PB.

so like i said earlier, would the caps be more for the purpose of getting some omega-3 EFA's in my diet, as apposed to taking 10+ caps in a day to get the fat grams up in my diet?

also, ive heard i should look for the caps in a glass bottle, as apposed to a plastic bottle. can anyone confirm this? is there a BIG difference?

454SS
05-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Use hemp seed oil it is a better source of EFA's and it tastes really good

bradley
05-21-2003, 04:29 PM

yeah thats the prob for me. the caps are just 1g each. which isnt near that much for a tablespoon of the liquid. exactly how many caps do you take a day ?

I try to take at least 6g per day and usually more like 10g per day.

so in a way, if i would get fish oil caps, it would be mainly for the purpose of getting some omega-3 EFA's. not really just to help increase my fat intake?

yes

i aim for about 75-85g of fat a day. and 1 cap is like 1g. i eat pretty cleanly, where i get most of my fat from natural peanut butter, and a whole egg. then w/e is in the chicken and oatmeal, etc.

and i mean, im taking like 3-5 TBSP. of natty PB a day just to help get enough fat. and i mean i would have to take like about 10 caps just to get an equivalent of 1 TBSP of PB.

so like i said earlier, would the caps be more for the purpose of getting some omega-3 EFA's in my diet, as apposed to taking 10+ caps in a day to get the fat grams up in my diet?

Most people get plenty of omega 6's in their diet so there is no need to worry about that. The fish oil caps will help to get the omega 3 content of your diet up. If you are looking for a good fat source then why not just go with olive oil? This would be an easy way for you to increase the fat content of your diet.

So you could take the recommend amount of fish oil each day and then whatever fat that you don't get from your food (natty pb, etc) fill in with fat from olive oil.

also, ive heard i should look for the caps in a glass bottle, as apposed to a plastic bottle. can anyone confirm this? is there a BIG difference?

Yes, you should get your cod liver oil in a glass bottle and it should be tinted as well to help protect the oil from light.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 04:33 PM
alright bradley. i think i get it. thanks a bunch.

does the tinted glass bottle be for just regualr fish tabs as well?

bradley
05-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by 454SS
Use hemp seed oil it is a better source of EFA's and it tastes really good

I agree in that hemp oil is a good source of EFA's, and it has a good ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids. Although most people get plenty of omega 6 fats in their diet so there is no need to really supplement with more omega 6's. This is the reason that fish oil supplements are recommended more than hemp because the fish oil contains high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids.

bradley
05-21-2003, 04:43 PM
alright bradley. i think i get it. thanks a bunch.

does the tinted glass bottle be for just regualr fish tabs as well?

The fish oil caps can be in a plastic bottle since the oil is contained inside a gelcap. The above recommendation was for if you were buying the oil in a bottle (the kind that you have to measure out with a spoon).

Ironman8
05-21-2003, 04:49 PM
This is a stupid question, but would fish oil or flax supplements spoil in heat? Not intense heat, just moderate. I keep flax supplements in my locker, but now I'm starting to get worried.

bradley
05-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
This is a stupid question, but would fish oil or flax supplements spoil in heat? Not intense heat, just moderate. I keep flax supplements in my locker, but now I'm starting to get worried.

It is a possibility. I would recommend going with another fat source while at school.

ChuckieT
05-21-2003, 08:47 PM
I understand getting fish oil in a tinted bottle, by why glass?

bradley
05-22-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by ChuckieT
I understand getting fish oil in a tinted bottle, by why glass?

If the oil is stored in plastic containers then some oxidation could occur because the plastic that is used is air permeable. I am not for sure how long it takes for this to happen, but better safe than sorry IMO. Same holds true for olive oil as well.

Saint Patrick
05-22-2003, 10:57 PM
I've got an awesome concept -

Instead of nasty tasting flax and fish oils.........EAT FISH!!! OR NUTS!!!!! Plenty of EFA's and part of a regular healthy diet.

Maybe I'm old fashioned............:confused:

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick
[B]EAT FISH!!! OR NUTS!!!!![B]

IMO, it's easier for some people to get healthy fats in their diet by taking fish oil and flax supplements. With my schedule, I don't have time to grill or bake fish. And I don't like microwaving it, because I like fresh food :)

ChuckieT
05-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Hey, I eat ground flax seeds instead of taking flax oil. :p

Bam Bam
05-23-2003, 11:10 AM
i have udos oil every night with my shake if i forget to put it in it just dosnt taste right but if you hate the oil eat a few lbs of almonds a week

ChuckieT
05-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Also if you dislike the taste of fish oil, there are a few brands out there where they actually remove the fishy taste from it. It's a bit more expensive but if you're also worried about PCBs being in your fish oil, pharmaceutical grade fish oil is your best bet.