PDA

View Full Version : getting sick often?

lick
05-21-2003, 12:13 PM
hey all,
i have been getting sick what seems like every 2 months for the past 6 months. I dont think I am overtraining, in fact, i almost feel as if i am training less. I havent even done legs in a few weeks. My routine has been plyometrics on wednesday, chest/back on thursday, and then arms on saturday. I have been meaning to throw legs in on Monday or Tuesday, but just havent had time. So it doest look like overtraining..

I wonder if it could be lack of sleep? but the problem is, i only really get too little sleep on sunday nights, and then i get about 8 hours or more the rest of the week.

i have also been taking vitamin c, echinacea, and vitamin a (for acne) daily.

am i missing some important vitamins? what else could i do to help prevent getting sick so often?

thanks

lick
05-21-2003, 12:18 PM
oh one other thing. i went for a 7.5 mile hike on sunday with some friends. i probably got less water than my body was used to that day, as i could tell because my piss was more yellow. this may have increased my chances of getting sick. but it wasnt until tuesday that i really felt bad.

Praetorian
05-21-2003, 12:37 PM
what kind of sickness? the flu or something?

lick
05-21-2003, 12:39 PM
more like a fever. I get a bit congested, light-headed, the chills, and then a fever comes on. I have been just drinking nyquil and sleeping it off, but i dont get why it seems to be happening so often.

SquareHead
05-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Do you spend allot of time in a large building w/ recirculated air? I think this has allot to do with my getting sick often.

Tryska
05-21-2003, 01:25 PM
have you been to the doctor?

lick
05-21-2003, 01:38 PM
i am not sure how the air is at my work, where i spend a lot of time.

Tryska, I went to the doctor the last time this happened since I thought it might be strep, which it wasnt. Thats all that visit was about though. I didnt get any other diagnosis.

Tryska
05-21-2003, 01:40 PM
was your doctor particularly concerned about your symptoms? i would go back a second time jsut so he knows you keep getting sick, it could be anything, but it seems your immune system isn't quite up to par at the moment, whateve ri is.

Gyno Rhino
05-21-2003, 01:45 PM
Get tested for mono.

SquareHead
05-21-2003, 01:57 PM
ya and get a sars mask, wazzup.

lick
05-21-2003, 02:17 PM
nah, the doctor just said this kind of stuff was going around. He was probably late for lunch or something :) hehe.

what are other symptoms of mono?

PeteM03
05-21-2003, 02:51 PM
From what you've said, it's tough to say, but as someone suggested you may very well have mono. Other sympotoms may include fatigue, sore throat, swollen glands in your neck, and generally feeling bad on a chonic basis. Regardless of whether this sounds like you, I would get back to the doctor because an otherwise young healthy person shouldn't be having recurrent illness. And don't worry about the vitamins.

BUFF STUFF
05-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Increase Vit C uptake to 3 grams
vit E 3 caps daily
multivit
get zinc
Echneacea
cod oil

SquareHead
05-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Care full with the Echneacea man. I dont even know what to tell you as far as how much to take but if you take too much it will dry you up. I took too much and my nose was burning and such.

lick
05-21-2003, 07:23 PM
ive only been taking 1 capsule of Echinacea a day, which is 400mg, so I think Im good. If anything requires me to drink more water, its creatine. :)

thanks for the advice, i will probably call the doctor tomorrow.

Ironman8
05-24-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by SquareHead
ya and get a sars mask, wazzup.

:D

bryancore
05-24-2003, 04:26 PM
You should cycle your echinacea. You're body becomes used to it and it becomes useless. I read that somewhere.

Allie
05-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Don't forget that it could be something viral if the mono comes back neg. And if it's viral you might have a hard time getting over it. Fluids, rest, and a religious 8 hrs of sleep each night is about the only thing that one can do.

Alex.V
05-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by SquareHead
Care full with the Echneacea man. I dont even know what to tell you as far as how much to take but if you take too much it will dry you up. I took too much and my nose was burning and such.

Also a bad idea to take it if you have allergies... especially to ragweed.

lick
05-26-2003, 02:49 PM
alright, ill drop the echinacea. maybe just take it once a week or so. i dont know if im susceptible to ragweed or not, but maybe its not helping...