PDA

View Full Version : Thighs

Ferdo
05-21-2003, 11:07 PM
Are chicken thighs just as good to eat as Chicken breast. I more of a dark meat person. Skinless, boneless thighs are the ones i get.

bradley
05-22-2003, 03:53 AM
Well the dark meat is going to have more fat than the white meat.

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 07:11 AM
I think chicken thighs have more fat than chicken breasts.

bradley
05-22-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I think chicken thighs have more fat than chicken breasts.

Taken from the above post:

Well the dark meat is going to have more fat than the white meat.:rolleyes:

Ferdo
05-22-2003, 07:28 AM
Ya, ok i assumed there would be a little more fat, but would it be ok to sub with chicken breast or would you not recommend it?

Reinier
05-22-2003, 08:10 AM
well see if your diet can take it. it wont be the best kind of fat, thats for sure

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Reinier
well see if your diet can take it. it wont be the best kind of fat, thats for sure

i agree. i mean, the protein is the same quality and stuff. but its just a little more fat. if youhave room for it in your diet, i dont really see why not.

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Taken from the above post:

:rolleyes:

So, all chicken breasts are considered white meat?

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 06:57 PM
different parts of the chicken are different types of meat...

dark meat: legs, wings

white meat: breast

im not sure what the thighs are... i think they MAY be white meat, but im not positive on that.

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Ohhh. But, doesn't the wing have less fat also?

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 07:02 PM
its not like the chicken is loaded with fat to begin with. the breast probably has the least fat. as for what comes next in line, i dont know.

Ti1301
05-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Chicken wings are my 2nd choice next to the leg.
drooooooolllllll
Chicken........
Popeyes Chicken....
Droooooooooooolllllllllllll.
Dam I'm hungry now.

ChuckieT
05-22-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Ferdo
Ya, ok i assumed there would be a little more fat, but would it be ok to sub with chicken breast or would you not recommend it?

It won't kill you if you do. It depends on what kind of macro breakdown you're shooting for, either one of two things can happen.

1) The extra fat in the chicken thigh will probably make the total number of calories a bit higher. Trouble if you're cutting, I don't know if you are.

2) If I was to assume Chicken Thigh A and Chicken Breast B were the same size, I would guess that a larger percentage of the calories in Chicken Thigh A would be from fat rather then protein. Trouble if it causes you to not meet your protein intake goal.

Just adjust accordingly depending on your situation.

bradley
05-23-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
different parts of the chicken are different types of meat...

dark meat: legs, wings

white meat: breast

im not sure what the thighs are... i think they MAY be white meat, but im not positive on that.

white meat- breast and wings

dark meat- legs and thighs

bradley
05-23-2003, 02:43 AM
Ohhh. But, doesn't the wing have less fat also?

Wing meat only 100g portion has 126 cals, 26g of protein, and 3.5g of fat.

Chicken breast meat only 100g portion has 110cals, 23g of protein, and 1.24g of fat.

Chicken thigh meat only 100g portion has 119 cals, 19.5g of protein, and 4g of fat.

So there really is not that much difference once you get down to it:)

GhettoSmurf
05-23-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by bradley

white meat- breast and wings

dark meat- legs and thighs

are you sure the wing is white meat? i could have sworn it was dark. when i was younger all i'd eat was the dark meat, so all my parents gave me were the legs and wings. ??

bradley
05-23-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

are you sure the wing is white meat? i could have sworn it was dark. when i was younger all i'd eat was the dark meat, so all my parents gave me were the legs and wings. ??

Well according to this site:
http://www.therecipeforcooking.com/poultry.html

Chicken and Turkey are generally thought of as having two kinds of meat: light and dark. Light or white meat is the breast and wing portions. They contain less connective tissue and cook faster. The dark meat is the leg and thigh portions. These portions contain more connective tissue and fat and also take longer to cook.

bradley
05-23-2003, 05:34 AM
One more, taken from the following site:
http://www.goldkist.com/faqs.asp#q11

Question: Is white meat chicken healthier than dark meat? Which chicken parts are white meat and which are dark meat?

Answer: White meat chicken is not healthier than dark meat. Chicken breasts, white meat, is generally lower in calories than dark meat, but all chicken has a high nutritional value. It is one of the best sources of low-fat meat protein. It is low in calories, sodium and cholesterol and a good source of iron and other key vitamins and minerals. Chicken breasts and wings are white meat while drumsticks and thighs are dark meat. The wishbone or keel and tenderloins or tenders are part of the breast, therefore are white meat.

GhettoSmurf
05-23-2003, 07:59 AM
alright, thanks bradley

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 03:21 PM
One more question: does the leg on a turkey have the same amount of fat as the thigh?

bradley
05-23-2003, 04:46 PM
One more question: does the leg on a turkey have the same amount of fat as the thigh?

According to fitday.com they have about the same amount.

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 09:01 PM
O.k. Thanks for the info.

Saint Patrick
05-24-2003, 11:38 PM
Breast is best.

Ironman8
05-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick
Breast is best.

Ya, but when you're on CKD, and you're eating it everyday, it get's boring :)

GhettoSmurf
05-25-2003, 05:56 AM

Ya, but when you're on CKD, and you're eating it everyday, it get's boring :)

actually while on a CKD,you wouldnt really have to eat the breast everyday. I mean, on a CKD you DO want fat. so in a way, it'd be ok to not have just the breast of the chicken.

Ironman8
05-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Oh ya, that's true.

But, sometimes people just want to diet healthy.