PDA

View Full Version : cutting

Ferdo
05-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Ok, i know what not to eat for regular bodybuilding diet. But I understand from reading here that a cutting diet is different. Some foods that may be healthy on a maintenance may not be good on cutting. For example i would assume that you would want to stay away from fruit on a cutting diet because of the sugar. I have been eating watermelon with my breakfast should i stay awy from this. What other foods should i stay away from on a cutting diet that i might have eatin on a bulk/maintenace diet.

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 11:10 AM
IMO a cutting diet is the same as a bulking diet (assuming its a clean bulk), but just with less quantities of food.

you dont have to totally cut out fruit, heck you dont have to cut out anything. everything is fine in moderation.

Ferdo
05-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Let me post my diet as it stands now. I am 155 5 feet 8 i would say about 13-15% body fat. I want to get down to about 9 to 11%. Then Bulk, starting in Sept. I think it will be easier for me if i drop the body fat level first because another 2 to 3% of body fat will discourage me. Which is the usual gain on a bulk. If not more. No scheduled cardio except for soccer games on Sunday. 3 day work out split.

Breakfast
2 slices whole wheat toast 1 slice with peanut butter/ 1 with non hydroginated margarine /half a tablespoon per slice
1 protein shake with water whey 20 grams protein
1 cup of watermelon
6 egg whites

Lunch
2 chicken Thighs
1 whole wheat tortilla/ with lettuce 2 slice tomatoes
1 protein shake with water

mid afternoon
protein shake with water

Dinner
1 turkey sub whole wheat bread if they have it
no mayo or sub sauce/vegies

If it is a work out day
I will Have Chicken Teriyaki with white rice and vegatables after workout. The white rice after the workout for the simple sugars i need after the workout.

Mid Evening
half a cup Cottage Cheese
Some kind of lean meat, Sandwich with whole wheat bread

Before Bed
1 protein Shake with Water

The one thing i see here is that my protein shake use is maybe to reliant but im so busy with school and work, its so convenient. I work in a fast food place where we are allowed to eat anything we want and are sometimes encouraged by owners to and the shakes put something in my stomach so i am not as tempted. But let me know what you think, because my goal is to get the BF % down. I have been on this cut diet for 4 days. Weight has stayed the same mayb a 1 to 2 pound drop but pants are feeling a little looser. Which as I have read is good, as i take a cut should not cause signigant weight loss rather just fat loss Correct?

Ferdo
05-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Also taking a fat burner.

BobbyRS
05-22-2003, 11:50 AM
GhettoSmurf is right. Moderation is key. I only change my foods from a bulk to a cut only because of a couple of reason. One is because I like to change the variety of the foods around a little. Two because by changing some foods, I can get more density out of some foods to help make me feel fuller quicker and longer therefore helping me keep from over eating some foods. Fruits I definitely don't cut out mainly because of their low GI and being high in fiber (which can be easy to lack when cutting) as well; both helping me feel fuller longer. I just keep them at a moderation that fits my daily calorie needs. I eat some fruit for breakfast whether I am cutting or bulking.

Ferdo
05-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Also taking a fat burner.

bradley
05-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Ferdo
Breakfast
2 slices whole wheat toast 1 slice with peanut butter/ 1 with non hydroginated margarine /half a tablespoon per slice
1 protein shake with water whey 20 grams protein
1 cup of watermelon
6 egg whites
**This looks fine IMO.

Lunch
2 chicken Thighs
1 whole wheat tortilla/ with lettuce 2 slice tomatoes

mid afternoon
protein shake with water
**I would recomming adding in a small amount of carbs or fat to this meal. I think you need some healthy fats in your diet so this would be a good place for some IMO.

Dinner
1 turkey sub whole wheat bread if they have it
no mayo or sub sauce/vegies

If it is a work out day
I will Have Chicken Teriyaki with white rice and vegatables after workout. The white rice after the workout for the simple sugars i need after the workout.
***Why not have the white rice and a protein shake? Eating the chicken with the rice will slow the absorption of the rice which kind of defeats the purpose of eating high GI foods postworkout.

Mid Evening
half a cup Cottage Cheese
Some kind of lean meat, Sandwich with whole wheat bread

Before Bed
1 protein Shake with Water
I would go with more cottage cheese here since it is a good source of slow digesting protein and maybe some healthy fats of some sort.

I think you need more fat in your diet as I mentioned above and also might have to cut down on some of the bread. I am assuming you work in a sandwich deli and the bread that they use can still be high GI even though it claims to be wheat bread.

You might also want to run a search on refeeds and read the article that I posted below. Once you start getting into the lower bf% range (<15%) the refeeds will help keep your metabolism going full speed.

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

Ferdo
05-22-2003, 02:01 PM
Ya i thought it may be to low in fat. If i was to add some efa pills such as salmon oil to my diet how much should i take.

Ferdo
05-22-2003, 02:02 PM
The bread is 100 percent whole wheat. Does that make a difference or should i still cut back.

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 02:14 PM
what does it say on the ingredients?

bradley
05-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Ya i thought it may be to low in fat. If i was to add some efa pills such as salmon oil to my diet how much should i take.

I would say 6-8g of fish oil per day would be a good amount. I believe that 6g is recommended in the interview with Lyle McDonald on the WBB main page.

Ferdo
05-22-2003, 02:33 PM
FOr the ingredients of the bread it says whole wheat flour but on the bag it says 100 %. Just another question also, with regards to post workout. I thought you needed to have protein to as well as simple sugars after workout. I recall protein within 15 minutes after workout. So should i eat protein first then wait a little and then have simple sugars?

bradley
05-22-2003, 04:14 PM
FOr the ingredients of the bread it says whole wheat flour but on the bag it says 100 %. Just another question also, with regards to post workout. I thought you needed to have protein to as well as simple sugars after workout. I recall protein within 15 minutes after workout. So should i eat protein first then wait a little and then have simple sugars?

The bread sounds fine to me. Just sometimes companies can call it 100% whole wheat but in reality it contains enriched wheat flour. You just might have to watch the bread intake as it is an easy way to get in too many calories for the day. As long as you are eating under maintenance cals then you will be fine.

As far as post workout you do want some high GI carbs like dextrose or maltodextrin. You can also use whole foods like white rice, white bread, or even some candies like smarties. Although I think dextrose or maltodextrin would work the best.

The reason I brought this up was that I saw that you were using protein shakes throughout the day but not postworkout which would be the most beneficial time to have a shake IMO. If you are going to use whole foods as a carb source, you should eat that first and then have a protein shake about 15-30 minutes after. This will give the carbs some time to digest before you add in protein. If you are using dextrose or maltodextrin then you can just mix them all together in a shaker bottle as soon as you get done working out.

Ferdo
05-22-2003, 04:35 PM
Great. I absorbed alot of info. Thanks for your help guys.

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 04:53 PM
Great. I absorbed alot of info. Thanks for your help guys.

good luck man. if you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Good luck man.