PDA

View Full Version : whats omega 3 and 6??

NO2
05-22-2003, 05:23 PM
well i just wanted to know whats omega 3 and 6??
like what do they do i mean..do they fight fat cells and stuff???
are they fat cells???

soko
05-22-2003, 05:36 PM
I don't know much. But I do know Omega 3 are usually Fish Oil and they are healthy fats.

Ironman8
05-22-2003, 05:37 PM
Omega 3s and Omega6s are EFAs (essential fatty acids). They're have been studies stating that EFAs lower bad cholesterol (LDL), as well as other healthy benefits.

Relentless
05-22-2003, 05:38 PM
One excellent book about essential fatty acids is THE OMEGA DIET by Dr. Artemis Simopoulos and Jo Robinson. Dr. Simopoulos states on the back cover:

"'Good fats" -- essential fatty acids' --- influence every aspect of our being, from the beating of our hearts to our ability to learn and remember. There are two types of essential fatty acids (EFAs), omega-6 and Omega-3.

"The problem with our modern diet is that it contains far more omega-6 fatty acids than Omega-3s. This hidden imbalance makes us more vulnerable to heart disease, cancer, obesity, autoimmune diseases, allergies, diabetes, and depression."

Pg. 30

"To the same degree that our diet is deficient in omega-3 fatty acids, it is overloaded with omega-6 fatty acids. The main reason for the deluge is our growing reliance on vegetable oils such as corn, safflower, sunflower, and cottonseed oil, oils that had no place whatever in the evolutionary diet ...'

Dr. Simopoulous was nutritional adviser to the Office of Consumer Affairs at the White House & is the editor in chief of World Review of Nutrition and Dietetics.
-----

the short version:
consume fish oil and flaxseed oil
they are good for you

bradley
05-23-2003, 02:17 AM
Here is something that I found on a website while looking around:

What are "Omega-3" and "Omega-6" fatty acids?

"Omega-3" and "Omega-6" are scientific terms for two different families of EFAs - but the body needs a balance of each fatty acid regardless of the "family" it belongs to…

"Omega-3" and "Omega-6" are scientific names for two different categories - or "families" - of essential fatty acids. These names are derived from the chemical composition of the fatty acid molecules. "Omega-3" fatty acids include Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA), Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA). "Omega-6" fatty acids include Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA), Linoleic Acid (LA), and Arachidonic Acid (AA). Although the terms "Omega-3" and "Omega-6" may be scientifically useful, they are not particularly useful for the average person. In truth, the body needs a balance of each fatty acid, regardless of the "family" it belongs to. For this reason, it may be easier to think not in terms of "families" but simply about the importance of each essential fat - like vitamins, the body needs all of them for good health.

The website has some good info on it if you want to look around:
http://www.fatsforhealth.com/introduction/faqs.php3

bradley
05-23-2003, 02:24 AM
One more that I had saved on my computer. I believe TCD posted this a while back.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/70/3/560S

Ironman8
05-23-2003, 07:04 AM
http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm

Here's a another good site. It talks about saturated fats, hydrogenated fats, and Omega 3 and 6s (dietary cholesterol)